• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Psychiatrists are the law enforcers of society

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:49 AM
-->
While typical law enforcement (for example police) take the rules of the law as determined by the government, and enforce them physically, Psychiatrist take the rules of society and mentally enforce those rules.

If someone thinks outside of the social norm they are often considered crazy and sent to see a psychiatrist or shrink (or w/e you want to call them) so that they can be "helped". which basically is to get them to be mentally like the rest of society.

If they think god is speaking to them they are insane, even though we would have no real way of knowing, if someone has some wild ideas or beliefs outside of society they are considered insane.

It is the job of the psychiatrists to take these people with these beliefs and mold them back into the thoughts and ideals of the society.

If I was unclear on anything let me know so I can try to clarify, I am not good at converting my thoughts to text/words.

Artifice Orisit

The pursuit of higher philosophical understanding is one denied to the sane wo/man, as the mind must challenge it's own base assumptions and in doing so hopefully develop better comprehension of reality.

I believe criminals, the insane and the criminally insane serve an important role in society, they're the loose variables that drive the evolution of societal psychology.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 4:49 PM
-->
I thought this was only true in the Soviet Union :p.

Saying that mental illness is merely thought patterns that are out of sync with society at large is too much of a conspiracy theory. Delusions are not one and the same as weird ideas.

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:49 PM
-->
I met up with a mate recently who I hadn't seen in a while. I told him that recently I haven't been caring about things of the world: work, women, etc. He was like "isn't that depression??" and that got me thinking, shit, yeah I guess it is depression. And that's the problem with the world - just because you're not materialistic and see things for what they really are, apparently you're depressed. it's not depression - it's cynicism. The difference between the two, if it's not clear already, is that one is seen as something to be fixed, the other is not. One is a matter of infliction, the other is a matter of choice. One is something to be proud of, the other is not.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I met up with a mate recently who I hadn't seen in a while. I told him that recently I haven't been caring about things of the world: work, women, etc. He was like "isn't that depression??" and that got me thinking, shit, yeah I guess it is depression. And that's the problem with the world - just because you're not materialistic and see things for what they really are, apparently you're depressed. it's not depression - it's cynicism. The difference between the two, if it's not clear already, is that one is seen as something to be fixed, the other is not. One is a matter of infliction, the other is a matter of choice. One is something to be proud of, the other is not.

people have asked me if I am depressed before, and I always respond with "no, I am totally content with everything"

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 9:49 AM
-->

Oh, people tell me all time how depressive I am. For exact the same reasons. But I came to the conclusion that everyone else suffers from depression and I do not.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
While psychiatrists tend to overstep their bounds, there is still mental illness. There's a difference between being different or seeing/thinking things other people don't and mental processes that are so debilitating that the victim can't function.

There's still no doubt that there is a gross number of misdiagnosed people out there. This reminds me about this thread, how anti depressant use has doubled. In my opinion, the actual amount of clinical depression hasn't changed. It really shows a trend of unhappy people using medication to solve their problems.

Also, I think that society is the law enforcer even more than the psychiatrists are. They are merely representatives of society. Like a couple people here have stated, their peers are the ones asking/assuming that you're depressed. They are the ones asserting that it's unhealthy to be cynical, or not be happy all the time. They are the ones that think apathy=depression. The same goes for many other mental illnesses. This also brings me back to people that think God is talking to them. How would society ever know if they're right or not? Since there's not enough concrete proof for or against God, it could go either way. Society has no place to assume where "the voices" are coming from. Society generally assumes too much with too little information.

truthseeker72

Local time
Today 4:49 AM
-->
It never ceases to amaze me how often people appeal to the majority view as an argument for why they're right. I've often heard the retort, "but so many people disagree with you." My response: many people once believed the earth was flat. So yes, non-conformist views (e.g., libertarian views) are often dismissed simply because of their sheer novelty.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@ermine: I am not saying that it is ALL they do.

juturna

Local time
-->
I've been talking about this with a friend of mine recently (also INTP) so it was cool to see a thread about this. We both came to the conclusion that we would probably be considered insane so the best way to avoid that would be to become psychiatrists ourselves. And the way you describe them...the raw power! I want it. >:D

RobertJ

Local time
Today 3:49 AM
-->
While psychiatrists tend to overstep their bounds, there is still mental illness. There's a difference between being different or seeing/thinking things other people don't and mental processes that are so debilitating that the victim can't function.

I'm not really sure what the difference between being different/seeing/thinking things other people don't, and mental processes that are so debilitating that the "victim" can't function is.
I feel that if someone has such qualms with society as is, then of course to function smoothly within it will prove quite difficult for them, because it is not congruent with their attitudes and ideas. That is the whole point of being/thinking differently - going against the grain.
What is meant by "function"?

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
What is meant by "function"?

If your too afraid to leave your house.

If you cover your walls, floors and ceilings with tinfoil so the CIA can't listen in on your thoughts.

If a dog tells you to go on a killing spree (berkowitz)

If you feel so overwhelmingly sad that you can't get out of bed.

If you're over 5'4" and still think you are Napolean hellbent on avenging your loss at Waterloo.

That's probably about it. Basically if you can't support yourself then you are not functional. It is certainly rarer than the health industry would like us to believe but it is big business to dope everyone up and as long as there's money to be made, it will continue.

RobertJ

Local time
-->
That's probably about it. Basically if you can't support yourself then you are not functional. It is certainly rarer than the health industry would like us to believe but it is big business to dope everyone up and as long as there's money to be made, it will continue.

As in can't keep a job? Well, what if someone's different outlook on society is one that repudiates the monetary system (economic, political, industrial) or the labor policies. Indeed, fighting such a thing by refusing to have a job or refusing to utilize the currency seems psychotic (how does one survive?!) but perhaps a person also has a higher priority than self-preservation.
In any case, they would be functionally rebelling against and in essence casting their vote against those policies which they don't agree with.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I should have clarified support to mean take care of themselves in basic ways. If you're hearing voices and having hallucinations etc and can't do basic things like feed yourself or bathe or whatever....

RobertJ

Local time
-->
I should have clarified support to mean take care of themselves in basic ways. If you're hearing voices and having hallucinations etc and can't do basic things like feed yourself or bathe or whatever....

Or write a holy book =D

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The only way we can guess someone's mental state is by what the show externally. They could be showing signs of being incapable externally, but internally they can function just fine.

Its would be similar to someone thinking I don't know the answer to a question just because I don't respond, and instead keep it to myself.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
Today 8:49 AM
-->
Or tell us how it takes 40 frickin' years to cross a desert.

please tell me that is a critique of the despicable Paolo Coelho who needs to be taken out into a desert and left naked to die an agonising death for his appallingly banal derivative writings which hardly merit the title of 'book' other than in terms of pages bound together with markings on them. How they are allowed to exist on 'philosophy' shelves in bookstores continues to amaze me and causes me to complain every time I see it. "This should be on the shelf marked, 'Self-congratulatory Drivel'" I say to bemused shop assistants.

Oh and yes, psychiatrists have far too much power, even outside of the USSR. And yes, they do perform custodial functions for the rest of society. Occasionally they help people overcome debilitating cognitive and behavioural difficulties but mostly they don't.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
i don't know whats worse, doping people up for not being of sound mind, or psychiatrists telling people how they should be raising their children. now days everything is so focused on preserving childrens precious 'self esteem' and trying to be friends with them as opposed to parents that we end up with a bunch of spoiled brats running around, boasting about how much better they are then everyone else, neglecting school, and thinking the world should be handed to them on a silver platter. is that whats supposed to be normal?

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 9:49 AM
-->
It depends on the psychiatrist. Not all of them are about enforcing societal rules; some follow their own general code.

I think that one's peers, family, and law enforcement are the ones that enforce society's rules. To note: peers and family can be exceptions, but usually law enforcement will enforce society's will. Unless they're corrupt.

Is there anyone that can be said enforces society's will 100%?

Top Bottom