• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Perceptions

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 2:38 AM
-->
I am terribly sorry for this thread, first of all.

I would also like to say that this isn't for ego-boosting, but legitimately out of pure curiosity, but I cannot honestly make that claim, if the two are not the same to begin with.

This is not an introduction thread or a 'reintroduction thread' (or whatever the hell Melkor keeps putting in this forum). This is a question. With this question, I desire pure, unrestrained honesty, no matter how insulting or demeaning such may be. I would like to say that, in this thread, I am essentially making any insults thrown at me entirely unconvictible in the sense of banning and whatnot, but I am afraid that is well outside of my boundaries and authority here (I said it anyway though, because I could care less about boundaries and authority).

What is your perception of me, preferably when I first made a presence on this forum, and now, but if you do not remember what your perception of me was when I first entered (though, I do not particularly expect you to remember or find it necessary in any way that you should have had one), it is fine to only give your perception of me now.

In order to not hide any of my intentions, I am essentially doing this to test out a theory that seems blatantly obvious (though, other factors affect the theory, and, assuredly, this thread alone would not be enough to conclude it as undoubtedly true). Truth be told, I had an idea to do this shortly after I joined this forum, but that first required me to make many posts in various forums on various topics so that one could have a perception of me. After that goal was met, I did not see myself as having enough reason to post a thread concerning this subject, considering it was out of pure curiosity...

As I said before, I desire complete and total honesty. Sorry this is so long despite it being such a simple question.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Yes, there are contradictions in the original post. Get over it.

(though, I'm not sure if it not merely a change over time. Two things cannot be contradictory if they are held at two different times, theoretically)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 11:38 PM
-->
I joined after you, so you were already blended(sp?) in before I became familiar with the place.

That said, you seem like an advanced skeptic, but being a skeptic myself I don't really believe that you are that much of a skeptic, or even one at all. If everything is a matter of perception, influencing mines could quite possibly lead me to believe whatever I was lead to believe.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I joined after you, so you were already blended(sp?) in before I became familiar with the place.

That said, you seem like an advanced skeptic, but being a skeptic myself I don't really believe that you are that much of a skeptic, or even one at all. If everything is a matter of perception, influencing mines could quite possibly lead me to believe whatever I was lead to believe.
If one has a particular perception about someone else, is everything that person does going to fit somewhere inside that perception, or is that perception subject to change? Rather, if someone has a complete perception, however wrong, is he going to construe events into things that fit into his perception, or is he going to change his perception when things don't fit into his?

Another question, can any perception by true? Can my own perception of myself be true? Is the Self and the mind (which is what i assume created perceptions) entirely separate?

Anyone could lead or be led to believe anything which has ever been thought? how truly powerful is the power of influence? If one has an idea, is there any possibility that the idea will ever be abandoned outright as an impossibility, or will it be refined and reflected upon, no matter how absurd it may seem, until it becomes an integral part of the frameworks by which one perceives life?

Your words speak volumes, and the reflection of such just furthers my despair and the meaninglessness of everything. Let that realization not affect you in any adverse way.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
If one has a particular perception about someone else, is everything that person does going to fit somewhere inside that perception, or is that perception subject to change? Rather, if someone has a complete perception, however wrong, is he going to construe events into things that fit into his perception, or is he going to change his perception when things don't fit into his?
Yes I think we tend to force data to conform to our beliefs(perceptions). We have to at some level otherwise we would be complete skeptics and would be insane; to some degree you have to believe in some form of a reality and thus you extract certain perceptions so that they are consistent with the majority of your perceptions.

Another question, can any perception by true? Can my own perception of myself be true? Is the Self and the mind (which is what i assume created perceptions) entirely separate?
To some degree you always believe your own perceptions, however you may perceive them. I cannot speak on the last question as I do not know myself, but I at least believe they exist in some form.

Anyone could lead or be led to believe anything which has ever been thought? how truly powerful is the power of influence? If one has an idea, is there any possibility that the idea will ever be abandoned outright as an impossibility, or will it be refined and reflected upon, no matter how absurd it may seem, until it becomes an integral part of the frameworks by which one perceives life?
When we were born we entered the world with nothing to believe in except genetic instincts. As we grew up in the world we developed a trust in either or both rationality or irrationality or mistrust in either or both. The power of influence one has relies on speaking to the right side. Although, the ones who mistrust both sides the most are the hardest to influence (ESFJs, ISFJs - irrationally, INTPs, ENTPs - rationally)

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:38 PM
-->
Well if I was to do this thread it would be interesting I have had death threats already however:

As you were well established before I arrived I can only tell you of what I think now. My perception of you is someone who is very motivated on the forum. When you post you tend to be precise and sensible (mostly). I would have imagined you to be older than you are and you show that you are intelligent. However you are are very sceptical that can be good but to a point and don’t seem as creative (you may be you just come across that way).

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Yes I think we tend to force data to conform to our beliefs(perceptions). We have to at some level otherwise we would be complete skeptics and would be insane; to some degree you have to believe in some form of a reality and thus you extract certain perceptions so that they are consistent with the majority of your perceptions.
Insane? The more I drag on in life, the more I am coming to terms with many things, the exact manner in which I could not possibly hope to describe. Everything starts with a single idea, and then from there, who knows where that will lead...
I cannot speak on the last question as I do not know myself, but I at least believe they exist in some form.
:)
When we were born we entered the world with nothing to believe in except genetic instincts. As we grew up in the world we developed a trust in either or both rationality or irrationality or mistrust in either or both. The power of influence one has relies on speaking to the right side. Although, the ones who mistrust both sides the most are the hardest to influence (ESFJs, ISFJs - irrationally, INTPs, ENTPs - rationally)
So everything we ever believe in life is based on a system of entirely arbitrary, dichotomous ideas? That is... depressing. Which really isn't anything new...
Well if I was to do this thread it would be interesting I have had death threats already however:

As you were well established before I arrived I can only tell you of what I think now. My perception of you is someone who is very motivated on the forum. When you post you tend to be precise and sensible (mostly). I would have imagined you to be older than you are and you show that you are intelligent. However you are are very sceptical that can be good but to a point and don’t seem as creative (you may be you just come across that way).
I'd have to agree with you that I am extremely lacking in creative energies. In fact, if someone were to ask me to write on a topic of my choice I generally would not have any idea of what to write on and would even turn to other people. Given a particular topic, however, I could write just about anything. I have plenty of imagination, though...

Skeptical? Of what, exactly?

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Today 1:38 AM
-->
The things you have said haven't really stuck with me, and I have sort of overlooked you. Here, I think, could be the only time I ever paid attention to anything you wrote. I said:
Luke 14:26 ~ "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple."

It is a passage that critics use to heap shame on Christianity, and Christians tend to interpret it as hyperbole (you only need to love God much more than your family), but it is the sort of passage that New Testament historians take very seriously to reconstruct the birth of Christianity in evidence scribed and preserved from generations after Jesus himself. Such a saying does not make much sense for a religion that values family, but it makes abundant sense for a man like Jesus who travels everywhere in Judea and recruits disciples to take with him. Jesus meant this literally, like any cult leader in history would--your own family is the greatest obstacle and threat to your membership in the radical group, and you must hate them in order to remain loyal to the most important cause. Jesus was killed for roughly the same reason that John the Baptist was killed--he was a threat to the peace and security of the Roman province of Judea.
I think, stemming from the fact that Jesus said "Yes, even your own life," that he was merely talking about physical bodies, alluding to the torture many saints of the time (and some now) had to endure from their faith.

But I think there are many things that Jesus says just to denote the impossibility of truly following his path, blatantly pointing out the need of his sacrifice for salvation.
There are a bunch of people who have viewpoints that I find either too unfamiliar or too disconnected from reality to seriously bother with. Such people seem to exist in their own peculiar bubble, and nobody else can connect with it because nobody else really gets it. You may or may not be one of those people, but I kinda got that feeling. There really are a bunch of people who have their own peculiar spin on Christianity or Jesus to suit their own peculiar personalities, and it does me no good to argue with it or even pay much attention to it. The best I can do is to attempt to understand it, learn something, say, "OK, thanks," and then move on. I didn't respond to this, because I figured it wasn't worth it. It took me less than a second to make that decision.

If you want to prevent such a reaction (or I should say lack of reaction), then don't just give your beliefs as mere assertions. Give evidence. Say where your reasoning comes from or what it is grounded in, preferably a shared value system or shared perceptions. Say something that the rest of us can connect with.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
There are a bunch of people who have viewpoints that I find either too unfamiliar or too disconnected from reality to seriously bother with. Such people seem to exist in their own peculiar bubble, and nobody else can connect with it because nobody else really gets it. You may or may not be one of those people, but I kinda got that feeling. There really are a bunch of people who have their own peculiar spin on Christianity or Jesus to suit their own peculiar personalities, and it does me no good to argue with it or even pay much attention to it. The best I can do is to attempt to understand it, learn something, say, "OK, thanks," and then move on. I didn't respond to this, because I figured it wasn't worth it. It took me less than a second to make that decision.

If you want to prevent such a reaction (or I should say lack of reaction), then don't just give your beliefs as mere assertions. Give evidence. Say where your reasoning comes from or what it is grounded in, preferably a shared value system or shared perceptions. Say something that the rest of us can connect with.
I should not have even written that reply. I do not know enough about Christianity from a historical standard to have given any kind of evidence whatsoever, nor am I really even Christian anymore. Um, yeah... enough of me trying to justify why I wrote that and why I shouldn't have...

I really don't know how to respond to this post, though... if I were still a devout Christian, I would immediately read much on the subjects and really get immersed in the Biblical texts after, in order to really get a context on what it is saying. I will do that one day, but it is not a priority. Still, I think Christianity is far different than almost every Christian interprets it to be. As a Christian (if I am not one now) I adopted such eccentric views (at least given the current fundamentalist interpretation) of universalism and unitarianism, in addition to many other profound differences between the rest of mainstream Chtistianity. Later, I realized that, though I saw myself at a level closer to understanding than an average christian, I had not even begun to scratch the surface of what Christianity truly is and what it is about. Some people search for ways they can undermine something. They try to find contradictions or otherwise, which may or may not be true contradictions, and then some search deep into the meaning of something until it is apparent what it truly means. I like to do both, and resolve contradictions where I can. However, I most definitely believe the views of Unitarian Universalists to be far more enlightened than the views of traditional (haha) Christianity.

At any rate, sorry I seemed so close-minded in that post. Obviously, you have done a good bit of reading on the subject, and though I am generally skeptical of anything I haven't researched and formed my own conclusions and perceptions on (why should I accept the perceptions of another, which may pervert facts?), I have done no reading whatsoever on the subject, and therefore have no reason to doubt the validity of what you said, even if I don't want to believe that you said is correct.

Apparently you saw the view I represented as "too disconnected from reality." Sorry. I do value truth blind from my own perceptions and preferences, though.

Basically, I think that judging me from that one post I made doesn't even give any picture of myself for you to create a perception of me with. But how could you have known that? That post didn't objectively differ from my other posts at all, even though it was written in a completely different mindset which didn't accurately describe my true thought processes. So sorry again. I'll try not to do that.

if someone has a complete perception, however wrong, is he going to construe events into things that fit into his perception, or is he going to change his perception when things don't fit into his?
In all honesty, I don't want you to think my posts or ideas are worthless. Also, I try to, at least online (as doing so in reality would about be akin to suicide), convey the true sense of my nature in a way that people understand. If people don't understand anything I ever say, then I am wasting my time posting here. But in truth, I am here for a deep connection with others and for a mental outlet, both of which I have not been able to find anywhere else so far.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
nothing in particular it's just how you come across.
Hm. Well yes, I'd say that is true. of what, though, I do not know. Probably everything.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Well you could argue the subjectivity, let's just say it means 'not compliant with the common perception'.

So everything we ever believe in life is based on a system of entirely arbitrary, dichotomous ideas? That is... depressing. Which really isn't anything new...
Yep, however there is still hope in the search of the answer to 'why?'.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
There are several things I could describe you as but over all the most I get out of your posts is a sense of stiffness. There are times when you are exacting and times when you seem to be typing whatever comes into your head without much editing. Even in the latter though you still seem stiff. It's as if the very way you think is burdened. You say you deal with depression and I kind of see it in some of your posts. Especially those from a few months back. Perhaps this is why your posts at times seem detached or somehow deadened. There is not even a hint at humor in most of your posts. There is no sense of playfulness except for in the Wish Corruption thread. Even then you seem more interested in the mechanics of the game and the corruptions themselves than the humor value.

You tend toward serious examination. You sometimes attempt to exercise your intuitive free form side but I can tell you haven't had much practice. Again the best word to describe it is "stiff". Mostly you seem baffled by this side of yourself or at least by this side of the more flamboyant members. Often you seem to wave our "silliness" aside like it's some sort of irritating fly or just plain ignore it. For that reason I suspect you are an INTJ or possibly an ISTJ. I don't mean to bring your type into question and this isn't an attack. (Not that I think you'd actually take it as one though the fact that you brought it up in your post here makes it sound like you think you might actually get attacked. Fascinating.) It's just something I've been playing with from your first post. Wait, are you INTP? I've always just assumed you were INTJ/ISTJ. Not that it really matters.

I made note of you almost immediately because of your username. It stuck with me. I think it's because it's such a bad one. It doesn't in anyway reference who I've come to recognize as you. You should really consider doing whatever it takes (including performing special favors) to change it.

Now that I think about it I've always assumed you were male because of the "dude". Hmmm...Again, it doesn't really matter but I detect "maleness" in you. Then again there are several members around here that I think you'd be stunned to discover are actually female so "maleness" doesn't actually account for anything.

There. That's all I've got.

Edit: I posted this before reading anyone's response so that my thoughts wouldn't get muddied.

Kokoro

Local time
-->
So, basically, your posts have been the set up for an experiment from which you are now collecting data?

Initially, you were like any other new person; I enjoyed reading your thoughts just as I enjoy any differing or alternative perspective, but you were nothing special, simply a "+1." I got you confused with snafupants a lot(maybe you joined at the same time). After a little while, your posts began to get on my nerves, so I skipped over them for about a month or so. Sorry that I do not remember the details of why they got on my nerves, they just did(I remember concepts better than details).

Eventually, I started reading them again and I noticed a consistent and genuine honesty. That level of honesty is very attractive and I have grown to respect you because of it. If I had to sum up my overall perception of you, I'd say that you seem to be looking for an answer to a question that you don't know how to ask.

Most of your more pointed posts and questions either start a new train of thought or remind me of an abandoned one, in my mind. And that is virtually always a beneficial thing, in my opinion.

Jesse

Internet resident
Local time
-->
I would just say congrats on the 1000 posts, thats a sort of tradition at some of the other forums I'm on. Got no read on you as it takes a while to differentiate people on forums.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Well you could argue the subjectivity, let's just say it means 'not compliant with the common perception'.
I was merely making sure you meant insane.

There are several things I could describe you as but over all the most I get out of your posts is a sense of stiffness. There are times when you are exacting and times when you seem to be typing whatever comes into your head without much editing. Even in the latter though you still seem stiff. It's as if the very way you think is burdened. You say you deal with depression and I kind of see it in some of your posts. Especially those from a few months back. Perhaps this is why your posts at times seem detached or somehow deadened. There is not even a hint at humor in most of your posts. There is no sense of playfulness except for in the Wish Corruption thread. Even then you seem more interested in the mechanics of the game and the corruptions themselves than the humor value.

You tend toward serious examination. You sometimes attempt to exercise your intuitive free form side but I can tell you haven't had much practice. Again the best word to describe it is "stiff". Mostly you seem baffled by this side of yourself or at least by this side of the more flamboyant members. Often you seem to wave our "silliness" aside like it's some sort of irritating fly or just plain ignore it. For that reason I suspect you are an INTJ or possibly an ISTJ. I don't mean to bring your type into question and this isn't an attack. (Not that I think you'd actually take it as one though the fact that you brought it up in your post here makes it sound like you think you might actually get attacked. Fascinating.) It's just something I've been playing with from your first post. Wait, are you INTP? I've always just assumed you were INTJ/ISTJ. Not that it really matters.

I made note of you almost immediately because of your username. It stuck with me. I think it's because it's such a bad one. It doesn't in anyway reference who I've come to recognize as you. You should really consider doing whatever it takes (including performing special favors) to change it.

Now that I think about it I've always assumed you were male because of the "dude". Hmmm...Again, it doesn't really matter but I detect "maleness" in you. Then again there are several members around here that I think you'd be stunned to discover are actually female so "maleness" doesn't actually account for anything.

There. That's all I've got.

Edit: I posted this before reading anyone's response so that my thoughts wouldn't get muddied.
This was an interesting response.

I really have nothing to say to your first paragraph... it seems accurate enough.

To your second paragraph. I'm sorry if anything I have done or any way I have acted has adversely affected you in some way, in regards to the silliness. As to my type, I have consistently tested INTP, and with a high P preference, if that means anything to you, but, in all truth, I don't see myself as a J type at all, despite the fact that I've tested P most every single time. On every description that I've read of the differences between perceiving and judging, I've always leaned heavily toward the perceiving side. Though, the once or twice I have taken a cognitive function test gave me high results for Ni and Fi as well as Ti and Ne, and, though I don't know exactly what that means, apparently two introverted functions being the dominant and auxiliary is impossible, so I would have to assume from these results that I am either INTP or INFP. but I highly doubt I am a J type, and especially not SJ together.

I understand you calling me "stiff," and indeed, even in real life, I put almost no value in humor or typical fun, so I think you might would be right. But I don't that not finding humor in much would automatically make one a J type. Just my thoughts, but I could be wrong. But instead, despite my apparent Jish qualities on this forum (though I honestly don't see them), my mind is quite different. Everything that I've ever seen on this topic suggests that P types prefer a free-formed, adaptable, and open-ended lifestyle, whereas J types prefer a structured, organized lifestyle. Besides that, I think that my cognitive function results pretty much make it impossible for me to be a J type. But now that I've ranted for two paragraphs about how I don't think I am a J type, I will say that again, I could be wrong, or I could have a false perception of myself, even.

I wanted to clarify on this part where you mentioned that I probably expected to be attacked. I asked people to be completely and entirely honest. I would imagine that not everyone (if anyone) would pick up only positive traits of a person. So I said that in anticipation that one might be worried of saying something that sounds attacking, and ends up not saying it, overall compromising the honesty I wanted. There are many things I have learned on this forum, and many people I have learned from, but, interestingly enough, one of the things that I learned was how to be truly genuine. I would never say anything I say here in real life, especially to people I know. That would utterly destroy any good standing or positive relationships I have with anyone.

Alright, last paragraph, and I will try to make it short. Yeah, I know my username sucks. I even noted it in some thread here (Why Did You Choose Your Name?). I should have gone with the one that I used on another forum and absolutely loved, but I was wary to because I don't know if this forum would accept the lettering... I am male.

Maybe it would have been better if I had not even responded to what others say in this thread... I kind of feel bad that I may change someone's honest perception of me...

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
So, basically, your posts have been the set up for an experiment from which you are now collecting data?
Eh. I'm not too sure about that anymore. The theory, specifically, the role of the people answering my question that my theory is based off of... it just seems too self-righteous to do so. I think the theory will have to exist as mostly true, as is obvious to me, but that it is possible it could be breached. I honestly highly doubt it though, as near-impossible conditions (or maybe outright impossible conditions) would have to be met.
Initially, you were like any other new person; I enjoyed reading your thoughts just as I enjoy any differing or alternative perspective, but you were nothing special, simply a "+1." I got you confused with snafupants a lot(maybe you joined at the same time). After a little while, your posts began to get on my nerves, so I skipped over them for about a month or so. Sorry that I do not remember the details of why they got on my nerves, they just did(I remember concepts better than details).
For some reason or another, I have the suspicion that a few more people are annoyed by my posts, but maybe that is just from knowing that people get irritated by stuff I post on other forums and many people get irritated by what I say in real life. I don't know what it is, but apparently, people just get irritated by almost anything I say.
Eventually, I started reading them again and I noticed a consistent and genuine honesty. That level of honesty is very attractive and I have grown to respect you because of it. If I had to sum up my overall perception of you, I'd say that you seem to be looking for an answer to a question that you don't know how to ask.

Most of your more pointed posts and questions either start a new train of thought or remind me of an abandoned one, in my mind. And that is virtually always a beneficial thing, in my opinion.
I don't have much to say to the rest of your post, save for thanks. It makes me have a relative joy knowing that anything I write serves some purpose other than self gratification.
I would just say congrats on the 1000 posts, thats a sort of tradition at some of the other forums I'm on. Got no read on you as it takes a while to differentiate people on forums.
Thanks. On most every other forum I have been on, I have either never made it to 1000 posts or the forum was too large for anyone to really notice post count of individual posts.

This forum, though, to me, truly is like some form of well-knit community. I don't know why. The atmosphere, the people... the meaningful discussion. My favorite forum by far.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
To your second paragraph. I'm sorry if anything I have done or any way I have acted has adversely affected you in some way, in regards to the silliness.

Nope, no adverseness. Just something I've noticed. In all honesty I've appreciated your consistency.

I don't that not finding humor in much would automatically make one a J type. Just my thoughts, but I could be wrong.

I have an SJ friend who is known for her humor. I don't think that humor is non-existent in J types.

Everything that I've ever seen on this topic suggests that P types prefer a free-formed, adaptable, and open-ended lifestyle, whereas J types prefer a structured, organized lifestyle.

You have ever come across as somebody who prefers structure and organization. You are cautious about forum rules. That's why I thought you might lean more toward J. However, I appear to be wrong. I'm sure my ego will get over it someday. ;)

Yeah, I know my username sucks. I even noted it in some thread here (Why Did You Choose Your Name?). I should have gone with the one that I used on another forum and absolutely loved, but I was wary to because I don't know if this forum would accept the lettering...

Yup. I think I mentioned that it sucked there as well. :D

Maybe it would have been better if I had not even responded to what others say in this thread... I kind of feel bad that I may change someone's honest perception of me...

Hmmm. I don't think there is anything you can do that won't change people's perception of you. These things are fluid.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Nope, no adverseness. Just something I've noticed. In all honesty I've appreciated your consistency.
Well... thanks. :slashnew:

I have an SJ friend who is known for her humor. I don't think that humor is non-existent in J types.

You have ever come across as somebody who prefers structure and organization. You are cautious about forum rules. That's why I thought you might lean more toward J. However, I appear to be wrong. I'm sure my ego will get over it someday. ;)
Oh, what I have done...

Cautious about forum rules? What ever made you think that? I think it just so happens that my general principles somehow never manage to really break rules, even though I don't see them as constraints. if I felt inclined to break a rule, I would. Oh, wait. I might could see where you would get that idea.

I could still be wrong though. I know barely anything about this typology stuff. So, while I assert that I don't think I am a J, I have to admit that there is a possibility that you are correct.

Yup. I think I mentioned that it sucked there as well. :D
Well, I will see what I can do to get it changed. I will just have to think about what I want it to be.

Hmmm. I don't think there is anything you can do that won't change people's perception of you. These things are fluid.
Maybe. or perhaps I am far misjudging people based on a gross misconception. I think that's probably it. It makes me feel sorry for all the people that I have ever wronged in the world, because I was probably doing so over a faulty assumption...

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
I find you to be relatively normal and wholly indescribable.

Perhaps a tad misguided and occassionally rather boring.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Today 1:38 AM
-->
I should not have even written that reply. I do not know enough about Christianity from a historical standard to have given any kind of evidence whatsoever, nor am I really even Christian anymore. Um, yeah... enough of me trying to justify why I wrote that and why I shouldn't have...

I really don't know how to respond to this post, though... if I were still a devout Christian, I would immediately read much on the subjects and really get immersed in the Biblical texts after, in order to really get a context on what it is saying. I will do that one day, but it is not a priority. Still, I think Christianity is far different than almost every Christian interprets it to be. As a Christian (if I am not one now) I adopted such eccentric views (at least given the current fundamentalist interpretation) of universalism and unitarianism, in addition to many other profound differences between the rest of mainstream Chtistianity. Later, I realized that, though I saw myself at a level closer to understanding than an average christian, I had not even begun to scratch the surface of what Christianity truly is and what it is about. Some people search for ways they can undermine something. They try to find contradictions or otherwise, which may or may not be true contradictions, and then some search deep into the meaning of something until it is apparent what it truly means. I like to do both, and resolve contradictions where I can. However, I most definitely believe the views of Unitarian Universalists to be far more enlightened than the views of traditional (haha) Christianity.

At any rate, sorry I seemed so close-minded in that post. Obviously, you have done a good bit of reading on the subject, and though I am generally skeptical of anything I haven't researched and formed my own conclusions and perceptions on (why should I accept the perceptions of another, which may pervert facts?), I have done no reading whatsoever on the subject, and therefore have no reason to doubt the validity of what you said, even if I don't want to believe that you said is correct.

Apparently you saw the view I represented as "too disconnected from reality." Sorry. I do value truth blind from my own perceptions and preferences, though.

Basically, I think that judging me from that one post I made doesn't even give any picture of myself for you to create a perception of me with. But how could you have known that? That post didn't objectively differ from my other posts at all, even though it was written in a completely different mindset which didn't accurately describe my true thought processes. So sorry again. I'll try not to do that.
You don't actually have anything to apologize for. You contributed to the conversation, you didn't remove anything from it, and you didn't contribute as much as a know-it-all like me--so what? I only stated my opinion because you wanted it. Any time anyone wants my honest opinion, I don't hold anything back, and it is that sort of compulsively honest behavior that more often requires an apology.

There are a small handful of topics that I have chosen to be an ultra-nerd, and the number one topic for me is the Christian religion. It is a topic that filled with sensitivities, emotions, unbeknown ignorance, and delusions of every sort. It is a minefield. My real problem with you is that you are not exciting enough. I am accustomed to arguing with atheists who think that Jesus never existed and with Christians who think that Jesus was God.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 7:38 AM
-->
You type to much and say to little.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
@OP: You're a better speller than some of your detractors.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
You don't actually have anything to apologize for. You contributed to the conversation, you didn't remove anything from it, and you didn't contribute as much as a know-it-all like me--so what? I only stated my opinion because you wanted it. Any time anyone wants my honest opinion, I don't hold anything back, and it is that sort of compulsively honest behavior that more often requires an apology.

There are a small handful of topics that I have chosen to be an ultra-nerd, and the number one topic for me is the Christian religion. It is a topic that filled with sensitivities, emotions, unbeknown ignorance, and delusions of every sort. It is a minefield. My real problem with you is that you are not exciting enough. I am accustomed to arguing with atheists who think that Jesus never existed and with Christians who think that Jesus was God.
I feel like I had reason to apologize. I don't know why.

Yeah, I am about in the middle or entirely undecided when it comes to Jesus and christianity. And my emotions to any subject about flew away when I decided to go on a search for truth.
You type to much and say to little.
@OP: You're a better speller than some of your detractors.
:D

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
Are you sure you're doing this for a "theory"? hm...

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Are you sure you're doing this for a "theory"? hm...

Eh. I'm not too sure about that anymore. The theory, specifically, the role of the people answering my question that my theory is based off of... it just seems too self-righteous to do so. I think the theory will have to exist as mostly true, as is obvious to me, but that it is possible it could be breached. I honestly highly doubt it though, as near-impossible conditions (or maybe outright impossible conditions) would have to be met.

If anything, I would like to say that I am not doing this purely for ego-boosting, and certainly not welcoming any attacks as a shroud to my true intentions of ego-boosting. This mostly is prompted by a genuine curiosity for what impression or influence I have made on others while I am here. Maybe partially to validate my theory, but not test it. There is one question that I need answered in order to come to a conclusion on my theory, and that is "Are humans infinitely complex?" It will make the difference between highly improbable and impossible, which, as it turns out, are two choices almost entirely distinct from each other. There is also that one questioned I need answered about the nature of Self vs. mind too...

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
:DDDDDDDDDDDD

What's a few O's? :D

That's what everyone says, until the O's are missing from their alphabet soup and they can't spell any words!

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
That's what everyone says, until the O's are missing from their alphabet soup and they can't spell any words!

Yu mean like this?
It's nt s bad

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I'd say ha if you omi one leer hen i could eiher be virually unoicable or i could be exremely confusing... depends on he leer, I guess... he effecs of removing a vowel are far less desrucive han removing a regular consonan. Bu i also depends on the words used...

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
An old classic.:D

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Yeah but you have to be about to read properly first.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Mostly harmless.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
More necro'ing threads. I have to get some closure on some of the dumb shit I have written in my past.

I don't mind the fact that I made this thread (even though 3/4 of the stuff I wrote in the OP was absolutely unnecessary). I truly am, sorry, however, for posting any responses here. They were all really half-assed because I didn't want to write them, and yet for some reason, I felt it was a "duty" for me to do so. I really feel I did a great disservice to all who posted here in honesty by half-heartedly replying because I felt that I should, so sorry about that. And even if you don't think I need to apologize, let me do so anyway because I think I need to. I was far too.. I forget the word... high-strung? Maybe it fits, but it wasn't the one I was thinking of. The OP is just bad.

~nil

Top Bottom