• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

One mind

TeapotPanda

Local time
Today 10:00 PM
-->
Inside my mind .. and yours now that you read this
Can we be considert a collective mind on this forum? where each persone is a thought for our synaps?

Besides expenading eachothers questions and curiosety alongside helping one and another i wonder if we can be called "one mind" while on the forum.

Altho i do suppose we do not always align but nor doe our own mind i suppose

SO merely a question are e a collective mind ?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 10:00 PM
-->
Most ya'll on a different wave length to me when it comes to the external world. But I relate to many people, almost intimately, in regards to the descriptions of our internal world's.

I have no idea how and what to conclude from that. Philosophically, I am unsure if humanity are destined or designed to be individuals, or a collective.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 5:00 AM
-->
The Internet is already a collective mind. We're only a part of the neural tissue

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 3:00 PM
-->
As I have become more aware of how the internet works I find that I am more selective in how I engage with it. I have 57 friends on facebook and have only unfriended three of them, two being deactivated accounts. I do find that facebook gives less intelligent articles for me to read than my google plus account does. Rarely do I post comments on Youtube but I have two accounts by two different emails on youtube. One is for news and conspiracy topic the other is for a.i. and technology. Recently I unsubscribed to about 20 channels that were old or gave less informative information. It seems that repetitive information gives me nothing to learn from and I have learned enough to know which channels are giving above average content. INTP forum and Kurzweilai.net/forum are the only forums I now visit regularly.

As people get older they choose which content on the internet they find is at their level and become more discriminating. Quality is selected over quantity or entertainment. Some entertainment is good and gamers like the word elite rather than despise it as it means you play games better than noobs. Since the internet is new experimentation was high but it is now settling down a bit. Sort of like how spam filters got better with time. Content providers have High IQ so they produce more. Alex Jones thinks that google is part of the elite and evil but to gamers / millennials and what Alex calls yuppies, they are just part of the new establishment based off the merits of hacker skills and social skills. The elites are cool. It would be dumb to call bankers elite or politicians. The elite are now the ones who understand technology.

The cream, as they say, rises to the top.
Connections are self selected in social networks increasing quality.

Vmission

Local time
Tomorrow 12:00 AM
-->
The internet can be viewed as a collective neural network enabling nodes to interact according to rules set for them. In order for this to work like "one mind", then I guess there has to be a defined purpose for all the people surfing, which will never be true since people want different things and use technology to different goals.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
Today 5:00 PM
-->
A big mind that consumes people's lives to survive.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
-->
The internet can be viewed as a collective neural network enabling nodes to interact according to rules set for them. In order for this to work like "one mind", then I guess there has to be a defined purpose for all the people surfing, which will never be true since people want different things and use technology to different goals.
who said the different parts of your brain have the same goals?what matter is if there is a link,communication is the link,we all work on different problems and share our solutions,we have one brain neurons share output to another person neurons via speech(or other).

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:00 AM
-->
We don't function effectively as a whole, each part requires convincing.

This is a forum and a forum itself is a dynamic thing, not unlike a mind, nor quite the same.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
-->
We don't function effectively as a whole, each part requires convincing.

This is a forum and a forum itself is a dynamic thing, not unlike a mind, nor quite the same.
Believe me that part of my brain also need convincing(right now I should continue studying),as long as the parts share part of their computations,it can be called one.Our brain is made up of many different parts doing different things,one imagine a deadly rabbit,"one" what next sentence to say,one what to do next,one looking to improve the chance of eating ice cream,one want to make the others stop with their bullshit,one gather all their inputs and decide what to do,all at the same time.Of course you don't "hear" them all at once,you focus on one or two,but it is not like they are resting.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 4:00 PM
-->
No borg joke? You let me down INTPf.

Vmission

Local time
-->
who said the different parts of your brain have the same goals?what matter is if there is a link,communication is the link,we all work on different problems and share our solutions,we have one brain neurons share output to another person neurons via speech(or other).

No one said that different parts of the brain have the same goals, I'm talking on a higher level of abstraction. U just stated what I said differently, "collective neural network" implies all the properties u mentioned.

A person's mind is consciously controlled by thoughts, the internet isn't. If this analogy holds then we are just neurons or at best a network.

MosMaiorum

Local time
Today 5:00 PM
-->
The whole "collective mind" idea strikes me as a cute metaphor; I don't see how its intellectual value extends beyond that.

Top Bottom