• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

One does not simply....

Silent Fury

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:52 AM
-->
One does not simply 'change' MBTI types.
In my opinion you are what you are, and you always will be. I don't believe you can change to another type later on in your life or that anyone is an X (example: XNTJ). If someone has trouble identifying their true type, I suggest visiting Cognitiveprocesses.com and read the functions :) I'm sure they're at least narrowed enough to the point where they can find it off of the functions.

However, I DO believe in expanding your capabilities. And INTP that trained his E or J is not an ENTJ, ENTP, INTJ, XNTP etc... I believe it's more appropriate to be Extraverted INTP or Judging INTP. To me it's like a transexual process, you're born X and can become Y but deep down you'll always be X. :)

It's my OCD making me do this, it bothers me when I read things like "I'm an ISFJ, but now I'm an INTJ..."
Yea, that^. :) <3

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 4:52 AM
-->
In my opinion you are what you are, and you always will be. I don't believe you can change to another type later on in your life or that anyone is an X (example: XNTJ). If someone has trouble identifying their true type, I suggest visiting Cognitiveprocesses.com and read the functions :) I'm sure they're at least narrowed enough to the point where they can find it off of the functions.

However, I DO believe in expanding your capabilities. And INTP that trained his E or J is not an ENTJ, ENTP, INTJ, XNTP etc... I believe it's more appropriate to be Extraverted INTP or Judging INTP. To me it's like a transexual process, you're born X and can become Y but deep down you'll always be X. :)

It's my OCD making me do this, it bothers me when I read things like "I'm an ISFJ, but now I'm an INTJ..."
Yeah probably. An INTP's tale:

I versus E. There is something about looking inward that is easier versus looking outward that is harder that can be natural.

N versus S. There is something about preferring to generalize over believing specifics are all that matters that is natural.

T versus F. There is an appeal to thinking if one doesn't know what one is doing over feeling something is important when that can't be that is natural.

P versus J. There is something to postponing decisions when one is not ready that is natural.

Yes one can violate any of the above and splash in the unnatural route, but water seeks its own level.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 1:52 AM
-->
Full type conversion is likely impossible without irreversibly damaging the psyche(and rendering the idea of a workable typology inapplicable).

Behavioral changes are not type changes. Personality changes are not type changes. Perspective changes are not type changes. Lifestyle changes are not type changes. A type change is altering the dominant psychological process, how the world is digested and understood by the ingrained filters and motivations of the mind.

I definitely think type changes can be simulated, by tuning into the attitude of another type, as a form of tactful adaptation. All of the functions are present in the psyche though most are undifferentiated in the unconscious, by concentrating attention to one of their aspects, you can cause one to momentarily surface, and thus appear as another type.

I also think certain types process things similarly, thus at times they also appear as each other.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Excellent putage way of putting it.

Added: When I was thinking, "Hierarchical Type Theory", I was thinking of that but you have put it into words.

Last edited:

ObliviousGenius

Life is a side scroller, keep moving.
Local time
Today 3:52 AM
-->
Full type conversion is likely impossible without irreversibly damaging the psyche(and rendering the idea of a workable typology inapplicable).

Behavioral changes are not type changes. Personality changes are not type changes. Perspective changes are not type changes. Lifestyle changes are not type changes. A type change is altering the dominant psychological process, how the world is digested and understood by the ingrained filters and motivations of the mind.

I definitely think type changes can be simulated, by tuning into the attitude of another type, as a form of tactful adaptation. All of the functions are present in the psyche though most are undifferentiated in the unconscious, by concentrating attention to one of their aspects, you can cause one to momentarily surface, and thus appear as another type.

I also think certain types process things similarly, thus at times they also appear as each other.

This. I've adapted some J traits and E traits but that doesn't make me an ENTJ. In fact I think that adaptation is further evidence for why types don't change. New personality traits are just add-ons that are naturally assimilated over time through experience, maturity etc.

Chuuz

Don't read this, read this ->
Local time
-->
As an individual who predominantly types as intp but also strongly relates with istp, I feel I should bring up Types with the same Dominant processes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cognitive stack for intps/istps merely switches there intuiting and sensing functions right? If one were to develop there sensing to catch up with and then overtake there intuiting function, would they then remain an intp? This seems to specific and I think I'm missing something, but to put it more generally: Could one switch types if their begining/ending types were similar enough? The examples I've seen so far mostly indicate switching from I to E, or P to J. That seems pretty difficult, if not impossible to me, whereas simply swapping two, or a few processes in the stack seems totally possible. I mean, very few people of a type will even have there processes line up exactly as their type indicates correct? Using myself as an example: I type as intp, but test relatively high in both extroverted sensing and introverted feeling. (Is this normal? If so, how does this fit into the intp cognative stack as it seems counter-intuitive) Are people just mistyping before they mature/grow?

I'm sure that I'm wrong about this, but I don't see why. If one can grow unevenly in their functions,(and thus the order of dominant use of said functions can change) why would this not change their type? I'm relatively new to the whole typology thing, and this is something I've been struggling with. If nobody's Stack lines up quite right with the norm for their type, why do we all relate so closely with any given type?

Sorry if this sounds jarbled/incoherent. Linguistics isn't one of my strengths(nor typology as of yet). Also, I feel like I'm always necro-posting on old topics I feel are interesting:phear: Does this forum move slowly enough that it's not a big deal to bring up older conversations?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:52 PM
-->
one-does-not-simply-18958_w.jpg

One does not simply use a meme to title a thread.

ccmbeast

Local time
Today 4:52 PM
-->

Iagree. On a side note: I like your shoelaces?

Tony3d

Local time
Today 1:52 AM
-->
I personally beleive that and INTP can easily turn ENTP temporarily and even go ISFJ or ESFJ.

I don't beleive the functions can change, an INTP will alway be made up of Ti,Ne,Si, and Fe but I beleive that you can very much change the value you are putting on each of those 4.

You can temporarily function with Ne first, I do this in almost all social situations, I basically let Ne do the talking and let Ti take the secondary seat.

I am still an INTP, but I am in fact functioning as an ENTP for that period of time.

Top Bottom