• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

My reintroduction xD

Vodhgarm

Local time
Today 7:08 AM
-->
So I registered a while back and now I have returned.I'd really appreciate it if you asked me some questions, so we could get to know one another better.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:08 PM
-->
What is the answer to life, the universe and everything when it is divided by zero?

Vodhgarm

Local time
-->
You can't divide by zero .. so it's still 42 x)

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 2:08 PM
-->
Someone has never explained to me why you can't divide by 0. Wouldn't 1/0=infinity?

Stoic Beverage

has a wide pancake of knowledge
Local time
-->
^
It is. However, most people would rather not go to the trouble of explaining that, so they either say "You can't divide by zero" or 1/0="undefined"

Vodhgarm

Local time
-->
No. (With the risk of making myself look like a .. hmm .. what's it called .. a know-it-all .. noo that's not it .. well .. a captain obvious if you will, i shall explain it to you .. or at least try to x) ). So you can't divide by 0 because you can't divide something by nothing. Dividing is essentially cutting something into equal peaces, so if you have an apple, you can divide it by 4 (or into 4 equal peaces), but you can't divide it by 0. That's the best I can explain it. Hope you understand what I have in mind ^^

Edit: or that --->
^
It is. However, most people would rather not go to the trouble of explaining that, so they either say "You can't divide by zero" or 1/0="undefined"

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
-->
Someone has never explained to me why you can't divide by 0. Wouldn't 1/0=infinity?
In calculus, the limit of anything divided by x as x approaches zero is infinity. But, anything divided by zero is "undefined," and that is the case because it simply does not fit into the mathematical framework, calculus or not, and nobody has formulated a way for anything divided by zero to make mathematical sense. "One divided by zero" makes no more sense than "one divided by :king-twitter:."

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:08 AM
-->

The limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 from above is infinity. The limit as x approaches 0 from below is negative infinity. (This is on R union {-infinity, infinity} by the way.) Since the answer is different depending on which direction you approach from, the plain non-directional limit is undefined.

There is another formulation of this that treats R union {infinity} as topologically equivalent to a circle, so that negative infinity equals infinity. In this case, anything (except 0) divided by 0 can be well-defined as infinity. If you don't explicitly make that assumption, though, it doesn't necessarily work.

Vodhgarm

Local time
-->

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
So I registered a while back and now I have returned. I'd really appreciate it if you asked me some questions, so you can get to know me.

Fixed your typos.
(;

It's not really learning
about "one another"
unless you ask questions
in return, is it?

Vodhgarm

Local time
-->
Fixed your typos.
(;

It's not really learning
about "one another"
unless you ask questions
in return, is it?

I suppose it's not. Although I feel like I should point out to you that my english isn't half bad, seeing how it's not my native language (my narcissism and egocentrism don't allow me to not say this .. sorry)

Vodhgarm

Local time
-->
^ Any problem with that?

Top Bottom