• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

My own personality theory - 1 minute version

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:11 AM
-->
What are the personality variables:
- Emotional participation (Emotional sensitivity and expressiveness, priority of emotions over other input)
- Harm Avoidance (The degree to which an individual avoids danger, stress, shame and their survival instinct)
- Extrinsic motivation (The degree of being motivated by external stimuli, information, sensory input, material gains etc.)
- Intrinsic motivation (Value system, aesthetics, trauma, subjective thinking, subjective perception)
- Abstract detachment (The preference for abstract rather than concrete thinking, detachment from immediate inputs)

Note: Social intelligence, abstract intelligence and other types of intelligence don't influence personality, they just open different levels of cognitive perception and understanding. Average intelligence is assumed all across. Empathy is basically social intelligence.

How does this work:
Person A ( Ep 20% / HA 20% / Em 90% / Im 50% / A 40% ) - Ep+HA gives a generally strict, logical person who speaks directly, isn't afraid of offending or hurting others and likes to take risks and can tolerate stress. Em+Im gives a very ambitious and highly motivated individual who seeks fame or wealth, but also has strong values, views or aesthetics driving them to make their ideas a reality. A gives someone who prefers to be hands on and concrete, but can work with systems and theory just as well. This is approaching a description of Elon Musk.

If you want to get a psychopath version just reduce Ep to 0% and Im to 30% and you have Jeff Bezos, a profit driven maniac.

Disclaimer: I don't know these people and it's just an example they could be very different than that.

I thought about a lot of people and these 5 variables do a pretty good job of condensing their personality.

How does this compare to MBTI (don't have time to explain in detail):
Ep is Fe and Fi depending on Em, but Fi is also a function of social intelligence and empathy so is not strictly a personality trait.

HA is in part neuroticism and in part introversion especially when paired with high Im. Related to Si.

Em can be Te, Se and Ne depending on other variables, is also a function of extroversion.

A is a weird one, it's a composition of Ti Ni and depends on Im, but also decides if a person is an intuitive or a sensor.

Some quick conclusions:
1.Simply put MBTI introverts have high harm avoidance and extroverts are seeking external stimuli or have extrinsic motivators. Increased harm avoidance generally, but not always, decreases the engagement and motivators coming from outside.

2.One can be both an extrovert and an introvert, can be both a feeler and a thinker, Se Ne and Te are facets of the same thing.

3.Ti and Ni are biased modes of thinking which are highly related and can achieve valid results by subjective or unconscious modes of operation. It's more of a heuristic and informal logic thinking as opposed to structured or sequential thinking.

4. There are individuals with low extrinsic and intrinsic motivations who can generally be described as physically or mentally ill, lazy or directionless.

5. Fi doesn't exist, or rather, it's a highly developed empathy paired with Ni and Intrinsic motivation. It's less a personality trait and more a tendency to allow social intelligence to inform opinions.

6. Personalities change with time. An MBTI ISFP can become an INFP etc. Or let's say that an ISFP person already is an INFP, but values S input more than N input.

7. Everyone is all personalities all at once. A person is an ESFJ and an INTP and all the rest of personalities, but they all are expressed and voiced differently. There is a system of weights and networks as to which functions get to have more influence over the final expression of personality in a given time.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:11 AM
-->
What are the personality variables:
- Emotional participation (Emotional sensitivity and expressiveness, priority of emotions over other input)
movies and music have some pull on me
- Harm Avoidance (The degree to which an individual avoids danger, stress, shame and their survival instinct)
this is emotional "the pull" visual auditory
- Extrinsic motivation (The degree of being motivated by external stimuli, information, sensory input, material gains etc.)
I am a minimalist, I do not have control of my environment to effect much.
- Intrinsic motivation (Value system, aesthetics, trauma, subjective thinking, subjective perception)
this is but all - since external control is restricted
- Abstract detachment (The preference for abstract rather than concrete thinking, detachment from immediate inputs)
about even (mostly Ni)

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Today 3:11 AM
-->
Cool, but how do you determine percentages? Seems kind of arbitrary there.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:41 PM
-->
This seems like as good a take as anything else non-scientific. The concepts seemingly match established constructs (e.g. cognitive decoupling, behavioural approach vs. behavioural avoidance systems).

I disagree about intelligence not influencing personality, or at least, the expression of personality (which for all intents and purposes is personality imo). For instance, you're probably not going to be particularly agreeable if you lack empathy (which you have equated with social intelligence). The consequences of your actions shape your approach but in turn are shaped by your capacities in a big messy feedback loop.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cool, but how do you determine percentages? Seems kind of arbitrary there.
I could make a set of questions, package it into a book and call it a day, but the cool thing about making this is comparing it to other systems and seeing what they lack and what mine is missing. It says more about what actually matters in a personality.
Doing it rigorously would require testing the population and adding more variables for sure, current variables are composites of several things in one. Harm avoidance is neuroticism + risk taking + stress resilience, because I think they are related, but definitely not the same thing.
This seems like as good a take as anything else non-scientific. The concepts seemingly match established constructs (e.g. cognitive decoupling, behavioural approach vs. behavioural avoidance systems).

I disagree about intelligence not influencing personality, or at least, the expression of personality (which for all intents and purposes is personality imo). For instance, you're probably not going to be particularly agreeable if you lack empathy (which you have equated with social intelligence). The consequences of your actions shape your approach but in turn are shaped by your capacities in a big messy feedback loop.
Yep, it's non-scientific. Just a highly subjective heuristic. It feels good to know that at least some of it matches existing terminology, because I made it just by informal thinking.

Good point about intelligence. Early on in writing about it I noticed that the extreme values of the variables describe various cognitive impairments and illnesses, so I felt like people with social/cognitive impairments shouldn't be described because they're already unhealthy in some way. Maybe they should. This would essentially mean that in mbti terms everyone should have at least average Fi or empathy and that having impaired social skills is actually a requisite trait for mbti thinkers or at least a common problem.

The most interesting things that came out of that train of thought are the conjectures at the end and the comparison to mbti. It's the first time that I'm able to put in words what mbti is missing, rather than just intuitively feeling that it's off.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Jung made a huge point many people don't seem to have a time to take into account.
First of all MBTI is personality typology, but not personality.
MBTI is a view of personality in terms of four dichotomies.
Jungs types however considered culture as part of your personality, which is the reason why he said Americans are extrovert as hell, him being swiss, or something.

So what does extrovert as hell mean? Well generally your culture is full of people who live in hugely dense pact cities.
Whereas Switzerland in Jungs time amounted to rather small country with few larger cities. Not a single comparable to likes of Los Angels or New York.

We can see that today with the population density and amount of people, everything is more towards extroversion.

So personality does include adaptations overtime and overtime your adaptations will resemble your environment.

With service oriented economies, its not surprising that extroverts come on top psychologically in some areas including longevity.

Everything in terms of modern lifestyle is squarely in favor of interacting with people.

However you slice personality, it depends what your end goal is also.
MBTIs end goal was career and relationship.
In socionics is based on some idea of information metabolism and is used for astronaut training or team building.
Choosing the right people for right job essentially.

What is the goal of your supposed personality type?

Top Bottom