• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Morning

Becs

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:08 AM
-->
I've just got into this whole idea of personality typing in the past couple of weeks and have being trying to understand it. I've done a bunch of online tests including paying for an official MBTI test (which I found the least useful as it only gave the four letter type with no weighting). In general when I discover something new I get a little obsessive for a while and then eventually find I have enough information that I can be happy that I understand how it works and move on.

Looking at the 4 spectra I judge myself to be I,N & T but certainly confused on J & P, having read a number of online articles and skim read a couple of books. And this seems to be backed up by the tests I've taken. When the tests focus on your preference in each of the 4 (I/E, N/S, T/F & J/P) I get typed INTJ.

e.g

Introverted (I) 83.87% Extroverted (E) 16.13%
Intuitive (N) 73.53% Sensing (S) 26.47%
Thinking (T) 83.33% Feeling (F) 16.67%
Judging (J) 76.67% Perceiving (P) 23.33%

INTJ
Introvert(78%) iNtuitive(75%) Thinking(88%) Judging(11%)

And as I read the profiles a lot chimed with my experience.

But now I read further and understand it's the order of cognitive processes that lead to the type and when take tests that focus on the processes rather than where you put yourself on each of the four axes I get different results

So for INTJ Ni is dominant, Te is auxilliary
and for INTP Ti is dominant, Ne is auxilliary

According to one test I got
(Te) 36.3 excellent use; (Ti) 37.7 excellent use
(Ne) 35.5 good use; (Ni) 31.2 good use
(Se) 24.4 average use; (Si) 26.1 average use
(Fe) 13 unused; (Fi) 36.2 excellent use

and catergorised as INTP

In another

Te (75%) Ti (85%)
Ne (100%) Ni (55%)
Se (25%) Si (55%)
Fe (25%) Fi (70%)

catergorised as ENTP.

If introversion is defined as needing and valuing time alone then yes, I certainly need a lot of 'alone time'. But I would not categorise myself as shy or unconfident. I abhor small talk but enjoy acting or speaking to a large group. I find talking to new people difficult but will find a framework for introducing myself when starting to connect with people in a new group. I find formal groups engaging (classes, theatre companies, activity groups) but don't enjoy parties or social gatherings unless I can find an interesting individual to have an engaging conversation with.

I have a strong recognition with NT vs SF clearly. With well developed Ne, Te & Ti with Ni lagging behind although Fi scores highly on both tests.
So does the lower Ni scores indicate that the INTJ type doesn't fit or that after 38 years I have developed the other processes and am more conscious of using them as they less intuitive to me. Or that I belong more to the INTP type.

And maybe some of you clever people can discern from how I've written this post where I should sit in this matrix.

Just having a brief look around this morning on this forum there's some really useful stuff and I'm hoping it will help clarify some stuff and it would be great if anyone wants to give their input too. I really liked the test here http://personalityjunkie.com/
I found the four statements the easiest to decide which I preferred and was typed INTP.

So apologies for the long welcome post (mods feel free to move is there's a better place for this!) and I look forward to any insights.

Local time
-->
If you've got a doctor's appointment in an hour and it's a half hour drive to get there how soon do you leave the house? How fast do you drive, and what are you wearing when you get there?

Becs

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't drive (not much point in London) but if I did and the traffic wasn't an issue that would mean the journey might take longer, I'd leave in 15 mins to ensure that I was at the doctor's in good time for the appointment. I'd drive as fast as I was able within the speed limit and I'd wear whatever I'd put on when I got up in the morning.

Local time
-->
I don't drive (not much point in London) but if I did and the traffic wasn't an issue that would mean the journey might take longer, I'd leave in 15 mins to ensure that I was at the doctor's in good time for the appointment. I'd drive as fast as I was able within the speed limit and I'd wear whatever I'd put on when I got up in the morning.
INTP. An ENTP would have left 10 minutes late and an INTJ would have answered in 10 words or less.

Becs

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I like your concise analysis, seems to make sense. Now tell me why?

Local time
-->
I like your concise analysis, seems to make sense. Now tell me why?
Your considerations of traffic coupled with leaving at a decent time while being bound within the speed limit indicates you're Ti-dom. From my ENTP perspective, you chronically overthink shit. An ENTP wouldn't think that far ahead and would speed.... if they remembered they had an appointment to begin with. Ne-dom has a way of forgetting things and making up for it with improv. An INTJ would have had it planned out when they made the appointment and known exactly how long it would take them to get there.

Oh and uh... Welcome to the forum and all that stuff. :p

Becs

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Well yeah definitely not ENTP and I do overthink & overanalyse everything like crazy.
I would have planned my journey to the doctor's the day before though, leaving it until an hour before would be too late.
And what does it matter what I am wearing?

Local time
-->
And what does it matter what I am wearing?
:o
I would have planned my journey to the doctor's the day before though, leaving it until an hour before would be too late.
I know, because you have to think your way through it 80 million times. ;-P

After all, you might have forgot about something.

Top Bottom