• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Mods

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:01 PM
-->
Can the mods get something to distinguish them? Since everyone has custom usertitles, most of the mods don't have mod in their user title, so there is no way besides memorization who is and isn't a mod. (took me a long time to realize anthile is a mod...i think he is at least.)

Something like have the name be a different color, or have a symbol next to their name

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 5:01 AM
-->
I can't imagine what... Badges of rank ? Tiny escutcheons ? A neat little FLV in their sigs from the admirable And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead ?

The names can't be colour-coded, alas. However there are a number of reasons why this quazi-anonymity was instituted ---- the first, and most important, being the chuckles engendered when some idiot screams insults at a nondescript member [ not that that happens here ] and then feels sick as he realises that that member is a madmin with the full unfettered powers to ban or cause any unpleasantness he or she wishes.

Actually that's the only reason.

:cheerleaderkitties:

No, I lie. We also want to create a happy environment without overt class-distinctions --- I swear to God that well over half the mods/admins on the world's bulletin boards think of their offices as rewards for being good fellows and scarcely deign to pull a stroke of actual modding. And also we like to have pretty user-titles too; are we not human ?

The final amusement is that anyone dubious need only click Forum-Leaders on the front page to see a complete list; yet no-one ever does...

Anthile is an admin. I am a Super-Moderator.

Clavehouse :phear:

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
See, I could of sworn you were one of the new members to come since we reopened the forum.

At first as I was reading I was thinking you are just a typical member, your opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight, then you said your a super mod, and.....welll yea

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
Would knowing who the mods are change anything about what you post on the forums? I don't think it would for me.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
Yesterday 11:01 PM
-->
@Nobody: "join date Sep 2007" ;)

Edit: not that it always work. At least one person here lost mod powers for being away for too long (I think)

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
At least one person here lost mod powers for being away for too long (I think)

The very first thing anyone appointed to any position in any organization should do is to find out where the bodies are buried.

Claverhouse :phear:

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Would knowing who the mods are change anything about what you post on the forums? I don't think it would for me.

90% of the time no.

It wouldn't effect anything one way or the other in the regular discussion threads, but for things that are related to decisions made by the staff, it is good to know that they are speaking on it officially as a mod/admin. Or if I need something done, like a thread stickied. Which I have just gone exclusively to ogion for since i'm not familiar with any of the others, (went to ragnar once)

And what is the big deal with making it openly known who is or isnt a mod? it is such a basic thing on a forum. Based on the reaction you would think I was asking for a restructuring of the entire forum.

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
And what is the big deal with making it openly known who is or isnt a mod? it is such a basic thing on a forum. Based on the reaction you would think I was asking for a restructuring of the entire forum.

We are a simple people.

And like all uncomplicated, honest, and good, people, are intensely distrustful of foreign ways.

:beatyou:

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
So your the type to hate change simply because it is change?cc

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Well, had I lived in Iraq over the last ten years I might be still more suspicious of the agents of change than I am, but I doubt it...

Damn people are always trying to do one good to save one from oneself. In the American case this usually includes dropping massive bombs upon one from great heights.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Whats with trying to divert this?

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
How pretty are the fading flowers of autumn... Yes, they remind one of one's own mortality; but there too lies the prospect of renewal in the splendid cycle of decay and rebirth that constitutes very nature herself.

What's your favourite flower ?

Deleted member 1424

I used to work in a flower shop. Three-way tie between Gardenias, Stargazer Lillies, and Birds of Paradise.

yay for derail :D

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 6:01 PM
-->
Wow... Adair, I used to grow Lilies. I inherited horticultural pursuits and I love messing with the genetics of lilies. Stargazer has been around a good long time and is still a mainstay of floristry, but what can be done now, esp. by the dutch breeders breaking down inter-classification boundaries, is quite amazing.

In fact... it always makes me smile that Aerith grows and sells lilies. :)

...and when I see those flowers in the church... *sighs*

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Today 1:01 PM
-->
If I were a mod I sure as hell would not let anyone know.

:phear:

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
Yeah... I noticed you hadn't announced anything there, Oblivious. ;)

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Aha! I knew there was a list somewhere.

*continues scenting out the Admin/Mod list*

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
No! Go Away! I've been hunting for the link so that I could add it to Deagle's youtube thread question...and I'm really bored.

I found it! I found it! My work here is done.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I swear to God that well over half the mods/admins on the world's bulletin boards think of their offices as rewards for being good fellows and scarcely deign to pull a stroke of actual modding.
What does a mod (hypothetically) do anyway?

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
An admin attends to policy; managing the structure ( eg: creating sub-forums ); can ban at will; has a useful control panel; and contemplates the universe. ( In lesser forums this last is all they do. )

A tech admin, such as Ragnar, controls the hosting details and has sole decision over threats --- such as malware etc., if need be he can close the forum for protection. A chief admin, such as LOR, has the final say on policy and admin disputes.

A mod looks after users' needs, issues warnings, closes/moves/locks threads and is usually assigned to one or more sub-forums --- or all if so designated. But he can't ban and only has a quite useless control panel. A super-moderator can ban and automatically has global access to all sub-fora; but he still has a rotten control panel.

Here, we attempt to have no mods at all, which avoids class conflict betwixt patricians and plebs. Also admins are independent, and can generally do what they choose by way of banning etc. etc. Only a full council of admins can reverse a decision; and frankly, who's got the time ?

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 4:01 PM
-->
just a question has anyone who was banned (for life) ever caused trouble afterward or (all though it would be hard to tell) joined the forum again?

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Prolly...

That's Classified Information.

:king-twitter:

Top Bottom