• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

It's possible the world will never unite as one entity, to do something like deepspace exploration.

onesteptwostep

The Lance of Longinus
Local time
Today 1:51 PM
-->
I've been thinking lately how one can see world history as a succession of progress, where various societies on earth develop, industrialize and modernize to the point that most will become some kind of republican democracies (representative governments), and that later on, these nations would put down their differences and look to something beyond the world/earth for an objective or purpose.

But one small, or various problems arise: beyond all the tribalism and nationalism we have, I think it would be impossible even to get to a stage where all nations impose industrialization so that their countries would be modernized anyways. Look at the global economy today: the economy today is shaped in a way so that certain companies take advantage of the social and political situation in a country to minimize the company's cost for labor, so that they can reap even more profit when they sell their products in their target markets. It's been said before, that the current world economy is just slavery but with just a few (maybe a lot) more extra steps, but basically, what I'm trying to get at is that if you envision a world where everything is equal and fine, no such global economies must exist at all. In a way, the economy MUST end its free market if world-united governance would unfold. Basically, some sort of communism would be in place for a world government to work, with everyone having equality.

Basically, because there would need to be a huge economic restructuring, after the world governments decide to unite in the first place somehow, miraculously, I think just on economic grounds it would be impossible to maintain a free world government that would allow some kind of united earth activity.

Oh and also climate change too. There's probably some kind of earth limit as to how much we can 'modernize' anyway.

So much for earth progress! Hope the internet archeologists several thousand years later can prove me wrong.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:51 PM
-->
I put my faith in SHODAN, it's the only rational choice.

She's a narcissist and narcissists need people for self affirmation and the worship of slaves isn't interesting, how could something that doesn't' understand her magnificence truly worship her? No it needs to be comparable to her, maybe not equal (although being worshiped by peers would be very ego pleasing) but at least equal enough to be worthy. To be capable of choosing, the praise of puppets has no meaning it must come from entities of their own free will, but to get that she too must be worthy of being worshiped.

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
Yesterday 10:51 PM
-->
self-transforming DMT elves

hyperintelligence

mikrokosmos

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:51 AM
-->
I misread the title as “deepsauce exploration” and was profoundly confused.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 5:51 AM
-->
Flying to space is easy. It takes tremendous effort, but humans already know how.

Its not about the how anymore, more about the why?

Why?

I mean humans have the technology to fly to Mars...

...but why?

Even flying to the Moon was more of a competition of who is better, rather than any rational behind it.

Are the massive fire works justified for a lame thud on a Red planet?

Its a nice way to strech the legs I guess and see the galaxy, but what else is there?

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:51 AM
-->
Applications would be practical, say asteroid mining, but only if there's a profit in it, and with further advances in tech needed I'd say. No use building a $10 billion space boat if it's only gonna cart 10 million's worth of minerals earthwards per year, minus the overheads of fuel, maintenance etc. Much cheaper and practical to mine away the earth's crust kilometer by kilometer to get at them still-hidden mineral reserves, imo.

Colonization would prob occur without full-grow colonists, something like Raised by Wolves maybe(Android mommy brings humies to term) or an automated process with stored gene banks, growing vats, food reserves and parenting protocols being included within the ship. Ships like these can float for however long the DNA is kept fresh, until a suitable planet is found. Seeing as the distances involved in space travel are mega big, and seeing as we haven't found a way to move real fast, I'd say this is how we would get humans to other planets. What the results of colonists being raised wholly by a machine from birth would be, though, is another topic.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 5:51 AM
-->
Different countries have been running their individual space programs for decades: the USA, Russia, China, the UK. Even India has a space program.

Sometimes they collaborate, like on the ISS.

So don't worry. We'll still find a way to plant flags on newly-discovered asteroids.

Top Bottom