• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

is death and change the same thing?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:43 PM
-->
I realize death and change might be the same thing in our reality, or originate from the same concept

death= change in nature

can change happen without death, or death happen without change, it seems the two things are interrelated.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:43 AM
-->
Life is an arbitrary distinction, suppose we equate life to fire (which is a good comparison because like fire we need food and air not to starve or suffocate) a piece of iron left out in an atmosphere with oxygen will rust, this oxidization is much the same as the oxidization that occurs when something burns, so is rusting different to burning or is rusting metal a very slow cold burn?

Viaterum Orbis

Game Master this time
Local time
Today 4:43 PM
-->
Maybe there is death in every change (if you move a part of your life dies), but it all depends on your definition of death and change.

If you define death as the opposite of living, then pretty much every non-lethal change is not death related, but if we accept other types of death (i.e. a wife getting a divorce of a person who she's still in love with), maybe...

Also with change. A transition from an state to another of things?

Maybe they're not related at all. If you die in the middle of an isolated forest and no one ever hears about it, did your death change anything? Maybe you died eating something being distracted and fell of the stairs... where is the change in that?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
my hypothesis is that the process of change must involve death and dying i sound too metaphysical. Without death, change is impossible.

Note its a hypothesis, its not a certainty or absolute fact.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I define death/decline as entropy or losing existence or form, or erosion

for instance, a folder on the desk, after thousands of years, will "die" , and vanish into nothing, dust.
which is why I stress it as an object rather than a lifeform

if a thing does not die, it will have eternal constant form and does not change.

Viaterum Orbis

Game Master this time
Local time
-->
I define death/decline as entropy or losing existence or form, or erosion

for instance, a folder on the desk, after thousands of years, will "die" , and vanish into nothing, dust.
which is why I stress it as an object rather than a lifeform

if a thing does not die, it will have eternal constant form and does not change.

Well, under that clause death and change are equivalent then. Every reaction in the universe releases internal entropy, and since every reaction implies a change, yeah, they're pretty much the same.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
death and motion leads to change

death and energy leads to change

can change happen without motion?
can transformation happen without motion?

are change and transformation same phenomenon, different words that describe the same thing?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
“Charitably... I think... sometimes, perhaps, one must change or die. And, in the end, there were, perhaps, limits to how much he could let himself change.”

“Death’s a funny thing. I used to think it was a big, sudden thing, like a huge owl that would swoop down out of the night and carry you off. I don’t anymore. I think it’s a slow thing. Like a thief who comes to your house day after day, taking a little thing here and a little thing there, and one day you walk round your house and there’s nothing there to keep you, nothing to make you want to stay. And then you lie down and shut up forever. Lots of little deaths until the last big one.”

In Tarot it is. :smile-big:

Yup. Transitional state.

---

Change typically means giving up the old for either nothing or to get something new. That's what death is. We can argue about whether we are "exchanging this life" for anything new after, some people think you do and some of us think you're just dead. But it's basically a change. And I feel like the little losses accumulated over a lifetime prepare one to face the final loss/change.

I'm also a firm believer in change or death. Basically you change to accommodate your new environment (because the world keeps changing around you) and if you do not change, you still eventually become isolated from a world that you no longer recognize (as if you are frozen in time) or you die because you cannot survive in the world you find yourself in. When you stop changing, you calcify and it's kind of an early metaphorical death even when not literal, because you're not changing and growing.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^ I am implying the process of change in scientific and philosophical terms, like physical or chemical change. Like how A becomes B, or B bcomes A.

it seems there must be motion in order for change to occur.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
^ I am implying the process of change in scientific and philosophical terms, like physical or chemical change. Like how A becomes B, or B bcomes A.

How could there not be? Motion is change. Non-motion is... inert.

I'm not sure what distinction you are trying to make, simultaneously saying you are implying the change process in philosophical terms and yet as a physical/chemical change. Which are you actually focusing on?

Metaphorically, though, (if you generalize them out), they're both similar. There's inertia and then there's change.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

How could there not be? Motion is change. Non-motion is... inert.

I'm not sure what distinction you are trying to make, simultaneously saying you are implying the change process in philosophical terms and yet as a physical/chemical change. Which are you actually focusing on?

Metaphorically, though, (if you generalize them out), they're both similar. There's inertia and then there's change.

motion= change but change does not always =/= motion or death?
changing process is a function which turns A into B.

transformation, or death , or some process and change which could does not require motion and movement?

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
We are born with instinct to live. We dont just avoid suffering, but also avoid destruction. Or you become suicidal and end it.

Generally I suppose death is really arbitrary thing if you dont have this instinct. I mean even suicidal people have to put alot of effort to overcome self presevation.

Bottom line is death is just what it is. Its end of organism. Dying is kind of normal thing for living things and that is why living things must replicate.

Top Bottom