• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP and astrology

RuskiiS4

Redshirt
Local time
Today 9:29 PM
-->
Im new here, i knew about the whole profiling-people-into-4 letters thing for a while, and took the test. INTP kinda dissapointed cus now it feels like im never gonna finish my projects. I do enjoy leadership tho, is that common?
Also i am pretty agressive when it first comes to a violent situation, is that common aswell?

Anyways i would explain these two by beeing a Scorpio, there is not much information that explain how astrology mixes with the letter-profiles. So if any1 can clear this up or give a link = profit

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:29 PM
-->
I don't know how most INTPs feel about the zodiac signs, but I don't believe the alignment of the stars has any bearing on our personality. I also don't think you will find a relation between the two, as one is how the brain develops, while the other is the cosmic effect on you (or something like that)

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
Today 3:29 PM
-->
Venngence, I was going to answer the same way you did, You just beat me to it.

Rusk, I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges so to speak.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
All real INTPs are Aquarius!! :phear:

anemian

Local time
-->
Taurus

Being an earth elemental that acts like fire is fun .

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Im new here, i knew about the whole profiling-people-into-4 letters thing for a while, and took the test. INTP kinda dissapointed cus now it feels like im never gonna finish my projects. I do enjoy leadership tho, is that common?
Also i am pretty agressive when it first comes to a violent situation, is that common aswell?

Anyways i would explain these two by beeing a Scorpio, there is not much information that explain how astrology mixes with the letter-profiles. So if any1 can clear this up or give a link = profit

ARIES

Unlike some I won't discount the possibility, until I see the numbers, but based one preliminary responses, I do not see any correlation...

Nightingale

Local time
-->
I don't know how most INTPs feel about the zodiac signs, but I don't believe the alignment of the stars has any bearing on our personality. I also don't think you will find a relation between the two, as one is how the brain develops, while the other is the cosmic effect on you (or something like that)

Same here.

That said, I'm a Leo.

Raku

Local time
-->

This reminds me of the show 'The Big Bang Theory'

Penny: I'm a Sagittarius which probably tells you way more than you need to know... Sheldon: Yes... it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relevant to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.

Spud147

Redshirt
Local time
-->
This reminds me of the show 'The Big Bang Theory'

That's too funny... the first time I saw my Myers-Briggs results I thought, "Oh my God, did they just call me Sheldon?!?" Then I realized he was probably an INTJ and that they'd actually called me Leonard. :D

P.S. I'm a pisces

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think thats what I was thinking of at the time. I knew I heard something similar to what I said somewhere just wasn't sure where.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
As I said before, I don't believe that astrology and MBTI have anything in common, but if anyone is wondering, I am an Aries (I think).

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I don't see how they are remotely associated. MBTI is according to what you're most comfortable with, and actually says something about you. Astrology is all based on your time of birth and planets. They aren't correlated and don't relate to individuals.

Local time
-->
They could be associated. The time of the year that you are born could effect certain personality traits. If you are born in the winter you're doing different things at different developmental times in your life than someone born in the summer. Although, the location in which you live would effect that as well.
But bottom line; they could be connected...just not in a traditional astrological 'the position of venus affects your personality' way.

Scorpio.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
That wouldn't create 12 distinct differences.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:29 PM
-->
They could be associated. The time of the year that you are born could effect certain personality traits. If you are born in the winter you're doing different things at different developmental times in your life than someone born in the summer. Although, the location in which you live would effect that as well.

The season of birthgave most likely would influence child's metabolism rather than his/her personality.

Nocturna

Local time
-->
I'm a Scorpio too and although I'm usually not violent, if I react emotionally instead of rationally, anger's the emotion I'm more prone to manifest. However, I doubt it has anything to do with zodiacal signs, which are exterior elements (and to be honest I think astrology's just a lot of bs) while the MBTI are internal traits.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
Today 4:29 PM
-->
Even if astrology were legit, one's sun sign wouldn't mean all that much alone. Someone would have to get an entire birth chart showing their Ascendant and their Moon sign, along with their sign for every other planet, as well as their Houses and the relationships between them, something I can't say I understand all too well.

Thus, there is an almost infinite amount of different astrological "types" considering the nuances of birth charts.

I've done a free online chart before, and my Moon is in Gemini, which is supposed to mean I love talking about my feelings, but I'm an INTP, which seems to rule against that (?). Also, My Sun sign is Capricorn, who are supposed to have a great respect for traditions, but INTPs are free-thinkers who normally don't respect tradition, right?

Complicating matters further, it's possible that the type of astrology being used is flawed and that the "real" one has me as a Sagittarius (which I have to admit would make more sense).

Fluffdaddy

Local time
-->
I'm a pisces
I had a question like this yesterday, and i never got a straight reply, so I'll ask again.
Can other things, such as disabilities(Bi-polar, ect) contribute to your MBTI type?

Ghost1986

Local time
Tomorrow 1:29 AM
-->
iam a Gemini. i personally don't think astrology is useful. i tend to put more faith in numerology. i was also told to never read the horoscopes because their usually wrong. instead get some books and figure out the calculations your self to get your proper horoscope. although all these various tests and sciences(occult and normal)can allow you to get a deeper understanding of who you are.

Nocturna

Local time
-->
Can other things, such as disabilities(Bi-polar, ect) contribute to your MBTI type?

This really isn't my field of expertise but I'd say bi-polar shouldn't affect the MBTI that much. I'm borderline myself and no matter the phase I'm in I'm sure the MBTI would come out the same. Maybe when some people are in the depressive phase tend to score slightly higher in Introversion because in that time they feel even less like putting up with people, but that's about it.

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
I'm a Taurus, and so is my ENFJ sister, so I really don't think that star signs have any accuracy.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Hello guys and gals,

I'm new here and I hope to stay around. I am an INTP (or so every test I take tells me :))

I was browsing the forums when I came across this topic about Astrology.

I find it bizarre how people relate to this "science" caugh, caugh...

If you think about it logically, These signs are constellations in the sky consisting of stars that are thousands of light years away. For all we know, quite a few of these stars could have died out long ago. We are merely gazing at the past and so how can these constellations give people predictions on future events? Its purposterous.

This doesn't neccessarily mean that future events can't be predicted to some level of truth (one of my time theories I often lose myself in) but they most certainly can't be by means of this joke of a "science".

My Mum bought zodiac mugs for my family. Here is what two of the mugs have written on them.

Virgo:
  • Shy
  • Analytical
  • Reliable
  • Meticulous
  • Modest
  • Intelligent
  • Diligent
  • Practical

Gemini:
  • Curious
  • quick-witted
  • Versatile
  • Talkative
  • Clever
  • Independant
  • Lively
  • Opinionated

They are so vague that they can be applied to anyone to a certain degree.

Anyways, I just wanted to express my view on this subject, even though I should be writing my dissertation. :D

Tootles.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 10:29 PM
-->
^^ how did you find out that information? I want to look up what my traits are supposed to be (I am a Sagitarrius btw).

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Since you are curious. I will post these for you

Traits of a Sagittarius:

* Fun
* Optimist
* Good-natured
* Sociable
* Spiritual
* Impatient
* Fears responsibility
* Self-indulgence
* Fanaticism
* Peter Pan syndrome
* Tendency to gamble

Oddly enough curiosity isn't one of your traits. Are you sure you are a Sagittarius? ^^

I was born on the 14th of September. This makes me a Virgo to an astrologist. Wooo! I have the biggest star sign!

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
According to my birth records I am :)

Some of these don't fit though... I guess it is hit or miss with these things.

In the words of a famous TV redhead: "Mr Bruckman, there are hits and there are misses. And then there are MISSES."

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Crimson, you are living proof that my theory is fact.

Congratulations!

You won a cookie :)

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
Crimson, you are living proof that my theory is fact.

Congratulations!

You won a cookie :)

What theory? Did I win something? *looking around with excitement*

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
What theory? Did I win something? *looking around with excitement*

My theory that the Zodiac Signs are about as mystical as the words "You are here today © 1987" found inside a fortune cookie are.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
Oh. I guess I am living proof then that the Zodiac system is fundamentally flawed then :)

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
Aries.

trife

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Gemini / Earth Snake

yea, that makes me an extra slothful INTP.

http://community.nbtsc.org/~amy/Gemini-Snake.txt

While I really don't believe in astrology, its rather amusing how well that describes me. a friend of mine actually thought I wrote it. I wish, means I could collect monies.

Perhaps my favorite line from that is:

Why do you persist in asking him to scrub the floor when you know full well that he cannot, does not, and will not ever care one way or the other if that stupid floor gets itself scrubbed or not? The Gemini/Snake is above all. Really.

Just something more to fuel my ego I suppose.

Phoenix 966

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am a Cancer. Everything I have read about it says I am very sensitive and emotional, which is true, but it is very under developed and raw.
I think its pretty fascinating to read about astrology, but only use it as something to go off of instead of taking it 100% seriously.

ArcusDog

Local time
-->
Phoenix, I love your avatar!

Hawkeye, please tell me about your time theory. Oh please, oh please!!! I do love pondering time. I also love time for pondering. If I have time, I will time my time pondering time. Time (threw that one in for good measure).

So as to not completely hijack the thread....I will acknowledge that the possibility exists that the theories and principles behind astrology have some level of validity. The possibility also exists that I will spontaneously combust.

And that being said, Sagittarius. :)

Top Bottom