• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Interesting Thread Title

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 6:20 PM
-->
Is here anyone else who lets the TV run but doesn't watch so s/he feels less lonely?

I do it. :o :slashnew:

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
Today 9:20 AM
-->
Oh yes. Back when I had tv I would put on a show to create some background "conversation". For some reason it helped.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 5:20 PM
-->
Having neither a TV nor radio, not strictly so: but having a large amount of series of select American sitcoms downloaded, I play them on my computer in the background whilst I work all the time; otherwise I would rarely hear human speech ( at home definitely ). Which means endless repeats... :cat:

Apparently lack of being spoken to leads eventually to a diminuation in one's own capacity to communicate. But it's better than being verbally abused instead. For all the relationships that fail through non-communication, twenty times more fail because one or both parties say the wrong things. Or even because one has heard the same things, however admirable, so often that boredom sits on one as does a glacier.

Claverhouse :phear:

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->
Yes, I do it all the time. I usually leave a funny TV show running on my computer though. When I played WoW, I would watch while I played.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like leaving the TV on but muting the sound, while i do other things. Usually when i play an instrument or text someone.

Ombat

but for all I aspire I am really a liar
Local time
-->
I usually have the TV on as background noise so I can stop thinking / won't have conversations with imaginary people in my room.

severus

Local time
-->
I'd go insane from over-sensory stimulation. I would much rather talk to myself than listen to other people talking, lulz. If anything I might put it on one of the channels that's just a particular genre of music (aka a radio).

Of course if it's late at night... and I've just watched a horror film... well, maybe.

Edit:
Apparently lack of being spoken to leads eventually to a diminuation in one's own capacity to communicate.
Mm. What if I'm talking to me? That counts, right?

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
Mm. What if I'm talking to me? That counts, right?

Providing it doesn't devolve into the overly satisfying grunts of alienated old age...

"I am going to sit comfortably now."

"I'm gonna sit cumfy... aahhh."

"Ymmgontaseetah."

"Ymgkah !"

Claverhouse :phear:

severus

Local time
-->
Aha
:jots down in notebook and scurries off:

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
I hate having TV on in the background.

The Fury

is licking himself.
Local time
-->
Can't say that I've ever done that, if I ever get bored or lonely I usually just do something.

tashi

Local time
Today 11:20 AM
-->
All the time. Actually, mostly I listen to the radio(I've been listening to NPR since I was in second grade). I don't have a tv in my room, plus our tv doesn't really work anymore, because I broke all the remotes(I have anger issues, and anything within grabbing distance that is likely to make a satisfying smacking sound upoun impact is not safe around me). The voices on the radio are my only friends....:(

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I don't even own a TV. I prefer silence or music, though. I never actually feel lonely. Might have to take that back some day.

nemo

Local time
Tomorrow 3:20 AM
-->
Yes, I do that, just for some background noise. To lessen the loneliness even more I'll just chatter to myself. But usually it's only when I'm home alone in the evening. I'm a little afraid of the dark and the silence just adds to that. :p

Artifice Orisit

I usually have the TV on as background noise so I can stop thinking / won't have conversations with imaginary people in my room.
They never shut up, ever.
I've resorted to using trance/metal/chamber & other types of background music to drown them out; I can't stand the tv anymore, the advertisements make me feel like somebody is trying to control me.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 5:20 AM
-->
tv + sledgehammer = peace.

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
Of course if it's late at night... and I've just watched a horror film... well, maybe.
(Pretty much my reasoning for putting the tv on last night, but it wasn't a horror film, it was Doubt (thanks Anthile ¬_¬) combined with my natural over-active imagination..

I don't feel lonely without it on, but I'm more likely to jump at the random creaking noises all houses seem to have.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
I can't stand the tv anymore, the advertisements make me feel like somebody is trying to control me.

That's because someone is trying to control you.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I do keep the TV on,but not out of loneliness,but because it's a good light source and complete dark makes me uncomfortable.
The tone is usually muted but if I've been watching something that makes me uneasy,I'll keep it on.(snap @ Saffy for overactive imagination) :phear:

Belph

Local time
Today 7:20 PM
-->
I don't. I like silence.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I have no desire to hear the tv whatsoever. People who come over complain because I always watch it on mute. It's just that the talking on the tv gets in the way of my thinking. It's much more entertaining without the sound.

dents

Local time
Today 12:20 PM
-->
I am always intensely concentrating on what I am doing, so having TV on will inevitably result in me watching whatever is on at the expense of anything else I was doing. This is great when I don't have anything else going on (40 hour anime marathons? oh my yes) but really annoying most of the time. If I could, I would pad the walls and put cardboard on windows to filter out light, the amount of shit I would get done would be ridiculous. Man, just writing this post makes me thing about all the distractions in my room... I am so fixing this on the weekend.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 10:20 AM
-->
I usually have music playing on my mac, but I'll turn the TV to TCM and watch old timey movies from time to time. Often I'm just not interested in listening to the dialog, but the scenery and body language is interesting to glance at.

Side note: I used to make fun of my ENFP friend for looking at so many screens at once (he was 'watching' tv, with his laptop on his lap, while texting someone). I've come to realize I'm often in between two screens myself. :confused:

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->
TV is too distracting. I find it hard to tune out the voices. Personally, I use a broken fan for white noise. I also listen to music often. I have some nice 7.1 surround sound headphones that tune close to all outside noise and allow me to blissfully enjoy my large collection of FLAC music :cool:

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Ha, I only listen to VO's at this point, FLAC doesn't play on my itunes, and I'm just not ready to convert all my music to another format.

Plus, FLAC files are fucking ginormous. I'd need a terabit harddrive to even attempt to convert my collection.

dents

Local time
-->
Ha, I only listen to VO's at this point, FLAC doesn't play on my itunes, and I'm just not ready to convert all my music to another format.

Plus, FLAC files are fucking ginormous. I'd need a terabit harddrive to even attempt to convert my collection.

The point of FLAC is that it's lossless and the quality is exactly as good as the CD they were ripped from. This is important when you have fancy 7.1 headphones ;) Converting smaller files into FLAC is pointless because you can't get the quality back, the only thing that makes sense with FLAC is to download them fresh or rip from actual CDs.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Or, to rip them from vinyl.

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->
Or, to rip them from vinyl.
I have some nice 24-bit SACD, Vinyl, and DVD-A FLAC Rips (Including multiple 24-bit versions of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon). :smoker:

I have ~2 terabytes worth of storage on my computer and am on the verge of needing more. Only ~100gb of that space is FLAC music.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I rarely watch TV, and I don't turn it on for noise: if anything, I find that there is usually too much background noise to concentrate and to think.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I do this occasionally, but like others have said, TV advertisements are annoying. I just can't put up with their stupid jingles, and now it's all the Christmas commercials because it's November and god forbid they lose one cent on those lovely holiday shoppers!

wow, I'm in a jolly mood. I do like to put on movies sometimes though. I'll often just pay half attention, thus creating an odd narrative in my mind that is half movie / half stupid random thoughts I was having at the time. These should win Oscars.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
I did it once... those were really dark times for me :cat: I thought it was so hideously pathetic, but I did it nonetheless.

Top Bottom