• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I never thought I were going to give this a go!

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:10 AM
-->
Ok. This is probably not a big deal for people not knowing me, but for those that happen to do irl this is something that will provoke reactions like :eek::eek:
I'm going to start working out. More specifically I'm going to start up with a training program called "starting strength" which basically amounts to 1 hour 3 days a week. I have already promised someone that I'll at least stick to it for a month, but most likely I will continue until August and then see where it will go from there. This was, as most things with me, a completely impulsive decision where I just thought "fuck it, I'm going for it". The timing was right as there is a school right beside me with an exercise studio. It is summer brake for the pupils there so I have it all for myself and therefore wont feel like an idiot when I desperately try to bench 5 kg and in general just being a complete newb with regards to how the exercises are to be performed.
On the matter of the reasons why, I think there are several. Recently my motivation to do anything have rapidly declined. Just picking up the guitar to practice, or do any sorts of work or study have been something that have felt like a total drain. My energy level is nearing 0. Procrastination is reaching new levels to the point where I can't seem to get myself to do anything other than waking up to sit down in front of the computer all day reading or noodling. Hopefully, starting to exercise will give me some energy to practice and to be more productive in all areas again. Also, the cartesian mind body dualism is out of date. I think improving my bodily condition will have a positive affect on my cognitive capabilities; ability to focus, short and long term memory etc. Perhaps it will instill a new outlook on life as well. If not anything else, it's something totally new for me, and that's always a good thing:)

sammael

Adrift
Local time
Today 7:10 PM
-->
Good for you man, that's great you're doing something like that. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the starting strength novice program, the exercises are very technical and advanced, meaning easy to get wrong for beginners, and possibly leading to incorrect technique and worst case scenario, injury. But it's still better taking that risk than doing nothing, and it's also quite possible to teach yourself good technique, just make sure you start really light. I presume you've read Rippetoe's book?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Good for you man, that's great you're doing something like that. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the starting strength novice program, the exercises are very technical and advanced, meaning easy to get wrong for beginners, and possibly leading to incorrect technique and worst case scenario, injury.
Yeah, and that is definitely a problem. I will start really low so that I can focus more on form. I have not read Ripptoe's book yet as a matter of fact. Someone I know worked me through the steps on how I should go about it and showed me how I should be doing the exercises. Unfortunately, he won't be able to be with me when I start working out, but after I have started I will most likely be sending some videos to him doing the exercises so he can correct and/or comment on it (or perhaps using skype). It isn't optimal, sure, but it's better then nothing.
If you have some youtube links, or something similar, that goes through how one should properly execute the exercises it would be greatly appreciated. I have until monday to prepare.

Jah

Mu.
Local time
Today 9:10 AM
-->
If you're serious about exercise, getting stronger....

YouTube - ‪BODY BY SCIENCE 1 (COMMON THINKING ERRORS ABOUT FITNESS & HEALTH)‬‏

Body By science.
(The videos are like a short introduction to each chapter in the book)

The book is really worth reading, and it is supported by science (yay, science) (By that I mean it's really heavily referenced and you'll find a thorough body of knowledge that supports it's claims.)

The quick summary is;
High intensity, once a week, maybe less, will get you most of the benefits that you can get from strength training.
(That is excluding skill-training, which is irrelevant to becoming fit/healthy.)

When it comes to how to exercise and perform exercises check out this guy on Youtube, (Bill deSimone):
http://www.youtube.com/user/optimalex

(I have no idea what "starting strength" is but I'm guessing you're also in for other alternatives (especially if they require less time spent doing exercise, and/or they are more evidence-based/less gym-lore.)

TylerRDA

One of the wonders of the world is going down
Local time
Today 1:10 AM
-->
First off, good for you! I was really shocked at how well regular exercise lifts my mood. I've noticed it definetely boosts my energy and motivation levels, and I'm willing to bet it will for you too! (hope I don't sound like a Richard Simmons tape). I know workout advice is a dime a dozen, but personally I feel that aerobic exercise a lot better for my mood, etc. than weight lifting.

sammael

Adrift
Local time
-->
I suggest reading the book, it has a lot of information about technique. If you don't already have it, you can find it on torrents. Here's a good site that has technique, tips and simple, clear videos..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Body By science.
(The videos are like a short introduction to each chapter in the book)

The book is really worth reading, and it is supported by science (yay, science) (By that I mean it's really heavily referenced and you'll find a thorough body of knowledge that supports it's claims.)

The quick summary is;
High intensity, once a week, maybe less, will get you most of the benefits that you can get from strength training.
(That is excluding skill-training, which is irrelevant to becoming fit/healthy.)

Jah.. Have you tried this/ is this what you do?

Abraxas

γνῶσις
Local time
Today 10:10 AM
-->
And maybe later you'll be posting pics of your proccess and perhaps encourage others to start working out aswell....hmmm where would that lead the INTPf..?

Let me check with my foreseeing glasses :cool: ... wait a minute :eek: I can't take this *gaargh*:rip:

This is my prediction for INTPforum by 2012. I believe it was all written in the book of revelations aswell.
JerseyShoreFinale.jpg

Seriously though, I used to work out regularly for about a year or so (age 19-20), and I felt great.

digital angel

Local time
Today 3:10 AM
-->
Good for you. I think it's great. You might want to take it slow at first. I like to look for opportunities for exercise. For example, I'll take the stairs instead of the elevator. I'll walk to the store instead of driving there.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 12:10 AM
-->
^I do that too. I actually really enjoy going on long walks. It's great for clearing my head, getting my blood pumping as the old folk say, and it's a replacement for exploring in my day to day life when I can't actually go exploring on a bigger scale. (Like travel to another country.)

Good on you. I was surprised to discover how great working out made me feel. All those endorphins help with mood and a general sense of well-being. Plus, just being healthier is a good mood booster. Life seems slightly less overwhelming when you are in good physical shape.

This is about women isn't it?
;)

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

This is about women isn't it?
;)

!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT! It's because of.. ehh.. cartesian ehm, something:angel:
But seriously, it really isn't... Hey! Whats up with that look?! Really, it isn't the reason. Tbh, muscles have never been something aesthetically pleasing for me, even if it is for you (in yo face!), and I have always frowned upon the whole workout culture and the people I've come to associate with it. Abraxas picture illustrate this perfectly. It seems like so many people (mostly younger people perhaps?) that get into working out, especially pumping iron, does so strictly because of aesthetic reasons to please the opposite sex. I'm TOTALLY not like them (:D). No, really, I'm not :rolleyes:. I'm doing it for mature, intellectual reasons in a cool, postmodern type of way. Yeah. Also, one doesn't need muscles to get laid, only charm. Besides, sex is boring.
Ok, now time for the most serious sentence.. Nah, never mind. I forgot it.. this post is beyond salvageable now anyway.

@everybody: thanks for the input (except for Cavallier's) and the links. Much appreciated:)

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm adding my voice to the chorus urging you to spend a few days researching. Different processes produce different results. If you're not interested in bulky muscles, you don't want to accidentally get them because of choosing the wrong process. "I lift things up and put them down," if you've seen that commercial on US television.

I believe that no matter what path you choose there's a certain amount of pain involved. However, the amount of time you can exercise before the onset of pain extends quite quickly as you proceed, in most programs.

There was an exercise nutcase on my dormitory floor freshman year at college. The path of least resistance was to simply lift his damn weights like he said; the guy was on a crusade. In the spring when the weather broke another nutcase across the hall wanted to get in some batting practice before the school's baseball team started practice. The path of least resistance was to admit I could get the ball over the plate. The darn thing practically left smoke in its wake when I threw it in; just a few months of exercise probably moved my "fast ball" from 50 mph up to 65 or so. Yeah, still not very fast as these things are measured, but I've never badmouthed exercise after that enlightening experience.

The only other comment I've got is to stop thinking anyone is watching you even if there are other people in the gym. Most of them are watching themselves, with fondness. If you do get any snarky stuff from one of the beautiful people, just say it's all stupid to you, too, but physical exercise is a condition of your release from prison.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 12:10 AM
-->
Why so jumpy Kantor? :D

kantor said:
I have always frowned upon the whole workout culture and the people I've come to associate with it. Abraxas picture illustrate this perfectly

Agreed. I generally workout at home in order to avoid this sort of association. Plus a lot of these sorts like to turn it into a competition as if everything they do must revolve around how they relate to others. Can't I just work out because it makes me feel stronger than I would otherwise?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Editor: I have spent some time now researching this particular method. The reason I haven't researched other methods is because I got this particular recommendation from an x-personal trainer whom I really trust. I think this program is more to just increase overall strength than one that aims to get you looking big. Preferably, I don't want to look like I've been working out.
Regarding the gym, I think your right, especially in larger cities. It still is a terrible scenario though, and one that I'd preferably avoid until I know some basics, or preferably all together as I would be completely out of my element in such a place in every single way. Have you been to a fitness center before?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cavallier:
What are your reasons for working out? You mentioned one, but could you elaborate?
And yes, a dark, sound isolated basement would be my place of choice with regards to training.

Jah

Mu.
Local time
-->
Jah.. Have you tried this/ is this what you do?

Yes.
This is the type of exercise I do.

Now with lower frequency, so something like every 8 days. 10 minutes of intense exercise, one or two days of being sore, and almost without fail I've been getting stronger every week for the last 9 months +...

I've just gone past the resistance possible on leg-press at 500 lbs and have to find a way of increasing the load in order to keep the positive trend going.

Currently I'm at 3-4 exercises, single-sets:
One upper-body pushing exercise, (either chest press or shoulder press)
One upper body Pulling exercise, (either chin-ups or a rowing exercise)
Deadlift (to gradually replace the leg-press since the machines won't go further.)
and leg-press.

Mind you I've adapted this beyond the starting program recommended in BBS, in order to have less total volume. (considering the basic program is both pushing exercises, both pulling and the leg-press, and it'll do you good for something like 6 months before you actually need to alter it in any way, and then you modify it down to less frequency/volume but keep the high intensity.)

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
Ahh, great man!
I've been working out 1,5 hours 3 days a week for 3 months now, and KEEP ON GOING! It really pays off. Mentally I've become way more stable, happier, and more neutral and calm. Physically, my posture has become more confident and I'm beginning to get a flat, six-packish belly et cetera.

Although I must admit, for the last 3 weeks I haven't worked out much... The first week I was on holiday, and the last two weeks I've just been having trouble getting into 'the rythm' again. It's pretty hard, as I'm also quite busy with tons of other (school)projects.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ahh, great man!
I've been working out 1,5 hours 3 days a week for 3 months now, and KEEP ON GOING! It really pays off. Mentally I've become way more stable, happier, and more neutral and calm.
That's one of the things I'm hoping for:)
I will try to give it my best shot!

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 2:10 AM
-->
Self respect is the fruit of disciple, a dignity that grows with the ability to say "No' to one's Self

Hershel

Your body is a beast that must be tamed...

Your body is a beast that must be trained...

Your body is a beast that could turn on you...

Your body is a beast that can dominate an intoxicated mind...

It is a contest of wills,
'getting into shape" involves exercising one's own will as a First Step, by exercising and strengthening "will power'.
Setting and reaching goals is a process that involves maintaining will power and focus during periods of inconvenience and discomfort. If one can succeed in the relatively simply task of becoming physically fit, then more complex problems can addressed through a similar process of setting simple goals and achieving them on a periodic basis.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I don't think I would want you as my personal trainer Blob, lol.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"Have you been to a fitness center before?"

Yes, but my most recent (very recent) experiences at physical exercise 'in public' came in connection with physical therapy for my g-d-m-f rotten, broken, deteriorating knee. The private facility also did duty as a fitness center for folks who were former patients who simply wanted to keep going. It was the usual gamut of society, with a higher number of physically broken down specimens. But the beautiful people with faces full of attitude were there, you betcha. I've now reached a point in life where ignoring people who want to be noticed because they think they are beautiful is a deep, wonderful honey pot of satisfaction. :)
Get your exercise regimen set while you're younger. You'll have a framework of muscle you can draw upon later if you get injured; it hastens recovery. Look how fast professional athletes recover from damage that would have many desk jockeys out for longer periods. Admittedly, they have expert, expensive, professional medical care, but still, that highly developed, efficient body helps tremendously when attention has to be diverted to repairs.
It sounds like you've got the kind of exercise program you want, no surprises. I hadn't realized you'd thought it through so far. Go for it!

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
That's one of the things I'm hoping for:)
I will try to give it my best shot!
It helped me get rid of my panic attacks and depression! I swear it works. I used to think those 'I started working out and now I'm all happy' stories were bullshit but they are (mostly) true.(Unless you have some sort of really serious mental disorder I guess...) You just need to have patience, it won't happen from one day to another.

GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR

Bryson

INTposer
Local time
Today 4:10 AM
-->
Some tips:
Stick to exercises that work multiple muscles (ex. squat, deadlift, bench press). As more muscles are worked, more calories are burned and more growth hormone is synthesized.
You don't have to do one exercise for triceps, one exercise bor biceps, one exercise for forearms, one exercise for trapezius, etc . A lot of people do that, including my SJ brothers that are too brainwashed to be saved. Since our body has the means to make we grow proportionally, we don't have to be minimalist.
Plus, it is not having big arms that make you look strong and attractive, as a lot of guys seems to think. Back, chest and shoulders are much more effective at that. When i see a guy with big arms I just think ''he works out'' instead of ''wow, he is strong''.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've now reached a point in life where ignoring people who want to be noticed because they think they are beautiful is a deep, wonderful honey pot of satisfaction. :)

I guess I'm not the only one:) I also do it towards people driving by in expensive, penis extension cars. It have become an unwritten rule of mine. However, it doesn't seem to make an impact. How could it? 99% of people will give them the attention they want. It's really unfortunate. Oh, and the not looking rule apply to really attractive woman as well. I try to avoid looking at them at all cost.

It sounds like you've got the kind of exercise program you want, no surprises. I hadn't realized you'd thought it through so far. Go for it!
Thank you, I will:)

GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR
Thank you, general.

Some tips:
Stick to exercises that work multiple muscles (ex. squat, deadlift, bench press). As more muscles are worked, more calories are burned and more growth hormone is synthesized.
Yeah, the program pretty much includes all the exercises you mentioned. It is 3 times a week and it consists of two different set of exercises which I will alternate every training session. Program A is Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. Program B is Squat (again), Press and power clean.

I had my first workout today. It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be even though I just started with the bar (lol). I had some problems with the squat though. It seems like my shoulders aren't flexible enough yet so I experienced a lot of pain doing the squat in a low bar position. Hopefully it will get better soon as I would preferably like to avoid almost rolling around on the floor in pain. I'm not worried yet though as I really think it's just a flexibility issue. If it isn't any better on wednesday I will try to hold the bar in a high bar position and perhaps increase the length between my grip until my flexibility gets better.

boondockbabe

I am a little cold hearted
Local time
-->
You might have to adjust things for your body as you said. I cannot use a treadmill due to my bad knees so I use an elliptical machine instead. Remeber this though, No pain, no gain. You are probably gonna be sore and hurt. Some pain is normal. And if you are doing a paticular movement and at a certain position it hurts- lessen the weight and try it again.
I wish you luck. and I am proud of you for trying. :)

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Some tips:
You don't have to do one exercise for triceps, one exercise bor biceps, one exercise for forearms, one exercise for trapezius, etc . A lot of people do that, including my SJ brothers that are too brainwashed to be saved. Since our body has the means to make we grow proportionally, we don't have to be minimalist.
Plus, it is not having big arms that make you look strong and attractive, as a lot of guys seems to think. Back, chest and shoulders are much more effective at that. When i see a guy with big arms I just think ''he works out'' instead of ''wow, he is strong''.

Hmmm... I separately train biceps, triceps, back, chest, shoulders, abdomen, and legs, and do some aerobic exercises to improve overall stamina and reduce fat. Am I doing it wrong? I find working with machines pretty nice...

sammael

Adrift
Local time
-->
I had my first workout today. It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be even though I just started with the bar (lol). I had some problems with the squat though. It seems like my shoulders aren't flexible enough yet so I experienced a lot of pain doing the squat in a low bar position. Hopefully it will get better soon as I would preferably like to avoid almost rolling around on the floor in pain. I'm not worried yet though as I really think it's just a flexibility issue. If it isn't any better on wednesday I will try to hold the bar in a high bar position and perhaps increase the length between my grip until my flexibility gets better.

You're on the right track. Check this out..

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20202

It wouldn't be a bad idea to add an exercise for the upper back, as the starting strength novice program doesn't specifically target that. Make sure you stretch as well.

Hmmm... I separately train biceps, triceps, back, chest, shoulders, abdomen, and legs, and do some aerobic exercises to improve overall stamina and reduce fat. Am I doing it wrong? I find working with machines pretty nice...

The problem with machines is they tend to skip the smaller assisting muscles, because the movement is controlled and there's not a lot of need for stabilization/balance (that's why they're easier too). They're fine to start off with, and to develop technique, but ideally progression to free weights should happen, as long as no injuries are present and technique is good.

Separately training muscles is not really that efficient in terms of what you are investing into the workout against what you are getting out. The majority of your program should be comprised of compound exercises (involving several muscle groups). It does depend on goals and individual differences/requirements and stages of training, but isolation exercises (single muscle) are better left to advanced lifters. If you're skinny and/or a beginner doing bicep curls or kickbacks, you're programming is bad and you're wasting you're time.

Bryson

INTposer
Local time
Today 4:10 AM
-->

Unless you are training like 2 hours a day for bodybuilding competitions i think it qualifies as wrong, as you would definitely get better gains by reducing the number of exercises in a more effective way.
Machines are usually bad. Most of them limit the motion range in ways that make you need at least 2 exercises for each part of the body.

Legs for example. Instead of doing 3x quadriceps, 3x harmstrings, 3x calf, 3x gluteus, you could be doing a 3xsquats, which works all of these muscles, including part of the abdomen. And doing that way, not only you spend less time, as when you focus on less exercises, you also make better progress on the weight you carry, forcing your muscles to adapt and making you stronger in a faster pace.

Squat
squat3.jpg
Muscles worked
jumplungediagram.jpg

As a bonus, you avoid having to do this not so macho exercise:
Abdutor%2520%2520Adutor__53545_zoom.jpg

I'm following the workout program of the book ''The new rules of lifting'', it's a great book.

Shatokan

Newest Hostile
Local time
-->
@Jah High intensity once a week is the best results you'll get as an intermediate or higher lifter, and since just about everyone in this thread is a beginner, it won't apply.

@sammael "It wouldn't be a bad idea to add an exercise for the upper back, as the starting strength novice program doesn't specifically target that." is quite inaccurate, as the clean uses the lats "upper back" in the second pull, so if you put in an isolated upper back exercise, it would be detrimental to the workout.

@kantor, the starting strength program is an awesome choice, and your right, you wont get very many results in aesthetics, but a 350 pound max on squats after half a year is not only possible, but about the standard. If you end up wanting aesthetics, diet will play a much bigger role than the exercise you do.

To everyone else just starting, i would also reccomend the "Couch to 5k" program, running sucks, but it's the best, fastest way to get healthy.

Source for all info i just provided: http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

sammael

Adrift
Local time
-->
@sammael "It wouldn't be a bad idea to add an exercise for the upper back, as the starting strength novice program doesn't specifically target that." is quite inaccurate, as the clean uses the lats "upper back" in the second pull, so if you put in an isolated upper back exercise, it would be detrimental to the workout.

I should have been more clear, by upper back I mean primarily the rhomboids, traps (actually the upper back muscles the power clean will illicit most involvement from) and teres, the (shoulder) posture muscles. The lats are more middle, but yes they could be included under the classification of 'upper back'.

The lats actually play little part in a power clean, there is shoulder extension as the bar is coming off the floor and up (and also the lats help keep the bar in the correct position) although at the top off the movement the concentric action at the glenohumeral joint is abduction and a little flexion (still very little of either, they're just along for the ride with the shrugging movement). Coach Rip himself said that the power clean is not an arms movement at all, and the jump is what generates the upward movement off the bar.

I say this because I believe there should be balance (in terms of volume) between the upper body pulling and pushing muscles. The power clean is not a specific upper back exercise, nor does it thoroughly work the upper back muscle group adequately enough to ensure balance, as the bench press is a specific pushing muscles exercise.

I admit the intensity of the starting strength program is (should be) high, being a strength program, but remember when balancing the upper body pulling/pushing muscles it is volume that is important. The other variables don't have to be the same. The addition of a (compound) pulling exercise at the end of the workout (perhaps higher reps, lower sets, and wouldn't have to be every session [obviously]) would not compromise what is already being done in any way.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
The problem with machines is they tend to skip the smaller assisting muscles, because the movement is controlled and there's not a lot of need for stabilization/balance (that's why they're easier too). They're fine to start off with, and to develop technique, but ideally progression to free weights should happen, as long as no injuries are present and technique is good.

Separately training muscles is not really that efficient in terms of what you are investing into the workout against what you are getting out. The majority of your program should be comprised of compound exercises (involving several muscle groups). It does depend on goals and individual differences/requirements and stages of training, but isolation exercises (single muscle) are better left to advanced lifters. If you're skinny and/or a beginner doing bicep curls or kickbacks, you're programming is bad and you're wasting you're time.
Unless you are training like 2 hours a day for bodybuilding competitions i think it qualifies as wrong, as you would definitely get better gains by reducing the number of exercises in a more effective way.
Machines are usually bad. Most of them limit the motion range in ways that make you need at least 2 exercises for each part of the body.

Legs for example. Instead of doing 3x quadriceps, 3x harmstrings, 3x calf, 3x gluteus, you could be doing a 3xsquats, which works all of these muscles, including part of the abdomen. And doing that way, not only you spend less time, as when you focus on less exercises, you also make better progress on the weight you carry, forcing your muscles to adapt and making you stronger in a faster pace.

Squat
squat3.jpg
Muscles worked
jumplungediagram.jpg

As a bonus, you avoid having to do this not so macho exercise:
Abdutor%2520%2520Adutor__53545_zoom.jpg

I'm following the workout program of the book ''The new rules of lifting'', it's a great book.
Hmm... My gym makes schedules for everyone that you have to get updated every 2 months. My schedule was especially made for 16-20 year old beginners, so I should be good, right? Or are gyms not to be trusted?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have read from several sources as well that the use off such machines, that target very specific muscle groups, aren't really optimal for a beginner, or even that it should be avoided all together. But I'm pretty much clueless on the matter.

Perhaps you could ask your gym whether you could change your program? Or at least bring up the issue with them? The problem would obviously be, seeing you are pretty clueless as well, that they would run over you in a discussion and that you would just end up saying "oh, okay" and continue with the program.

sammael

Adrift
Local time
-->
@Shatokan, to clarify..
I think the back (upper/middle) is neglected a little (not entirely) in the starting strength novice program, as none of the exercises specifically target the upper body pulling muscles (by specifically meaning that they're the primary movers of the exercise). This is not to say the back muscles are not used, as they are, a little in the power clean, and more in the deadlift. Some would say that is sufficient, after all, the purpose of starting strength is to develop strength, primarily in the commonly used/measured lifts i.e. the olympic lifts.

Whether this neglects to any degree the back is simply a differing of philosophy/opinion, of which there is a huge amount within the fitness industry. Every kind of program is controversial. Personally I think, as I said, that the starting strength novice program does not thoroughly work the upper/middle back muscle group adequately enough to completely ensure balance. This is not to say it's bad, or wrong, or will cause any problems.

The main reason why adding an upper back exercise wouldn't be a bad idea is because it helps to keep the upper back tight, which is beneficial for the other lifts. I mentioned that the starting strength novice program doesn't specifically target the upper back only to emphasize that it would not negatively affect what is already being done, The intensity and volume would not be high enough.

Hmm... My gym makes schedules for everyone that you have to get updated every 2 months. My schedule was especially made for 16-20 year old beginners, so I should be good, right? Or are gyms not to be trusted?

The quality of instructors varies widely, it's not difficult to get into the fitness industry. Gyms value people skills over knowledge, but the ones with people skills are often lacking in knowledge, and/or don't care enough to seek it. To truly understand the deeper concepts requires a passion and commitment that most instructors don't have (the ones that do don't work in gyms), it's just a job. They don't really care about peoples goals and motivations. It's very common to just give out generic programming which doesn't account for the individual.

Think about it, how many really fit or jacked people do you see at the gym? There's not many. As long as they get people signed up/coming and feeling they're doing something, its all good.

Jah

Mu.
Local time
-->
Shatokan, why not ?

Start off at once every three/four days, study some first and start of light, get technique right.

Then begin to implement the target of truly high intensity (The sort where your body starts producing epinephrine and nor-epinephrine in large amounts, trigger the fight/flight. Stay through the fight.. you'll eventually loose, your body compensates by making you more fit to fight next round)
All the while keeping a slow cadence, Making sure not to bounce the weights around, keeping control of muscle and joint function. (This is easier than it sounds, but requires focus, which is why you start out by focusing more on this than what your numbers look like (The weights are really immaterial as they are only a tool to create the necessary stimuli.))

As for aerobics, it's been dead for years, never bounced back.
More likely to ruin your knees than get you in shape.

Stick to resistance training, all work is done with muscle, and the more effective the muscle, the less work your heart, your liver, your lungs and basically any other inner organ have to do to keep you alive, which leaves more room for extra effort when needed. (Think of it as physiological headroom)

If prompted I can dig out the data to support the resistance training over aerobic/cardio.
(I'm not saying you're better off sitting on your ass, but when it comes to exercise it should be viewed as a medicine or a nutritional supplement rather than a "fun" activity. There are clear negative ramifications of over-use and when viewing the dose-response relationship it invariably turns out that most people do Way too much, Way too often with Way too little intensity, which results in either no real increases in fitness/health, an early plateau and, if the intensity is higher, over-training (results go down.))

Efficiency is key. Especially for those of us who cannot stand the useless hordes of gym-rats who lounge around in the commercial gyms, doing next to nothing, all day, and who always have "great advice" (Here's a clue; Just because brute force works, doesn't mean it's a good way, nor a comfortable or cheap one. (Both in regards to health and money))

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Perhaps you could ask your gym whether you could change your program? Or at least bring up the issue with them? The problem would obviously be, seeing you are pretty clueless as well, that they would run over you in a discussion and that you would just end up saying "oh, okay" and continue with the program.

All I know is that it seems to be working out fine for me. I've gotten stronger and my muscles have grown, it's noticeable not only visually, but also when lifting things and such. Although I've gone from 'out of shape' to normal, I guess. It's not like I'm even a little buff already.

The quality of instructors varies widely, it's not difficult to get into the fitness industry. Gyms value people skills over knowledge, but the ones with people skills are often lacking in knowledge, and/or don't care enough to seek it. To truly understand the deeper concepts requires a passion and commitment that most instructors don't have (the ones that do don't work in gyms), it's just a job. They don't really care about peoples goals and motivations. It's very common to just give out generic programming which doesn't account for the individual.

Think about it, how many really fit or jacked people do you see at the gym? There's not many. As long as they get people signed up/coming and feeling they're doing something, its all good.
Yeah, hmm... Hmmmmmmmmm...
The thing is, I'm too lazy to figure it all out. Everybody tells me something different, it's really confusing.

Top Bottom