• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How to make a hit flick?

How corny does a hit flick need to be?

• Total voters

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 1:13 PM
-->
I have watched 2 films on Shitflix until now - Batman and Phast and Phurious 9. Sadly, my father and I rolled in the aisles while watching Fat and Spurious and Dom's sleepy-eyed performance. The new batman is similarly corny and edgy to no extent. All the bloody dialogues are predictable and I have no idea why every new action film I have been watching seems like I have already watched a something on those lines a million times before. For god's sake Hollywood, fix your fucking fighting choreography because it is a bloody joke to look at.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:13 PM
-->
I enjoyed batman. Last 20% was bad but otherwise a good film imo. Edgy... but it's batman right?

This scene was absolutely incredible in theater:

But looks janky on my monitor so I understand if you don't believe me.

Everything Everywhere All at Once had some good pieces too recently.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 8:43 AM
-->
Films take big money to make so investors are more likely to invest in safe, tried and true things that are likely to make a return. It’s basically just marketing and marketing tends to dilute creativity in place of mass appeal. Basically I agree (without having seen this film in particular) but that’s what it is.

Not to say the mainstream is devoid of any good content as it’s not, but just search around for alternative stuff, film auteur stuff or older films if that tickles your interest more. There’s so many good films out there that there’s not much point in watching stuff you find crap.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 3:43 AM
-->
I think its more about the photography, lighting, chosing the right star/faces, even the camera lens itself, costume design, actresses/actor energy, location and actual type of camera used. Which Star is featured and where it is filmed are a huge part of it. Most films that I really love also have beautiful Victorian homes and decor inside and period costume. The 40's I would say make it intriguing. The black and white and greys and contrasts can be beautiful from the 30's and 40's, but part of that is the actual type of film camera that no modern camera can compare to. The director using ingenious lighting and story lines and the writer - every aspect is an art. Modern film is not very good in comparison.

The Grand Hotel with Greta Garbo is very classic.
The writing and dialogue of Tennessee Williams or Neil Simon plays are classic too. (The Odd Couple original, or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or Plaza Suite).

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Honestly Batman is a boring universe and has a boring mc and despite the impossible - this movie was probably the best in the whole franchise.

They used a younger actor, gave him less lines, made a few badass scenes, cyberpunk-gothic aesthetic and voila you can turn a shitty superhero comic into an okay punchy action movie. Batman is better as a Robocop or Terminator, silently and slowly walking to beat shit up, the illusion breaks when they start talking.

I have no idea about fast and furious, never watched, other than Vin Diesel having an amazing timbre of voice which might convince me to listen to any of his lines just for the voice.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I've always been a fan of Batman.

I honestly thought it was kind of inspired how they focused on the perspective of the city that is affected by him, and depicted Batman himself unfavorably as a young angry fuckwit. It's the first time I remember anyone officially acknowledging that Batman throws his money away to beat up the mentally ill because he himself has problems. It's also the first time I've seen Batman have a character arc even if it was somewhat sophomoric it made a lot more in-universe sense for Batman to have lessons he needs to learn than for him to always be right.

My criticisms of this movie are that it completely fell apart in the last act. They'd made the Riddler so justified it was hard to see him as the bad guy so they made him do stupid evil shit to ensure everyone understood he was the antagonist. The riddler that kills the systemically corrupt only IMO is more effective than Batman by far. The movie has no real solution to what happens if Riddler doesn't start killing the innocent for no reason so they turned him into someone they could address. Cinematic strawman XD

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:43 PM
-->
I think Joker (2019) was peak edgy, nothing with a guy in an armored emo fur-suit will ever really come close.

I haven't seen this new Batman film but the trailers look like Se7en (1995) with Batman and Se7en doesn't need Batman, it was a great movie on its own merit. Replace Batman in The Batman (2022) with an original vigilante character (obviously you would need to re-title it) and would it be as good a movie?
Heck it might actually be better.

What I'm saying is relying on the popularity of established intellectual properties and famous characters is a crutch that's obstructing movie studios from making movies that are good movies on their own merit. Also the crutch isn't actually helping at all, I haven't seen The Batman (2022) precisely because it's a Batman movie and I don't care anymore, I've seen enough Batman already.

They should make a movie about a lawyer defending a script writer from accusations of intellectual property violation and the movie is titled after the name of the lawyer, "The Bateman".

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
While I agree that Hollywood plays it safe by reusing familiar IP, I take issue with using a broad trend to critique a specific movie when you haven't seen that movie. There are advantages and disadvantages to reusing IP.

One big advantage is that you can assume the audience knows stuff so you can skip tiresome establishing scenes. The worst parts of superhero films are going over repetitive origins. [Superhero] has [power] due to [tragic] [incident]. I would prefer to see a Batman movie where they can skip this stuff than a new character that functions the same but this stuff has to be re-established. The economy of scenes is hyper-efficient in comparison which is much more engaging.

Some characters are so old and iconic and retconned that they're not really characters anymore. By the time I was born Batman and Joker had already been retconned to the point of being unrecognisable. They're more like modern mythos.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Industrial Light and Magic (Lucas and Spielberg)
Disney channel + is now streaming the new series.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
The problem with movies is same as with food.
You can pack them with a lot of stuff, but the way the ingredients mix is more important than what they are.

For example the older movies were certainly less packed, and had quite a number of huge shortcomings, when it comes to certain things compared to todays movies.

In recent year, I was quite stunt by a number of movies, but the overall pattern, is that they are extremely over the top in so many ways.

Yet they just lack something you had in the older movies.

Maybe it is just nostalgia effect. Older is better, but I doubt it.

Frankly even kids movies are so over the top today, that I wonder how kids can keep up with the movies.

It is also very visible how movies today aim to beat the most out of the budget.

The thing is once art goes from art to commerce so strongly that the art is left behind, its very easy to see.

It may be a money making machines, but it loses a lot of the art that people want to see.

Its like in the old times someone just told you "Buy cheese its good for you!"
Today you get so over the top commercial that you feel its a freaking mini cinematic experience, but when its over sometimes, you wonder what the commercial was advertising.

Same feel with movies.
You can mindlessly enjoy them, but once you stop and think about the whole movie, you just cannot figure out what it was about.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
1659548334460.png

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
I have no idea why every new action film I have been watching seems like I have already watched a something on those lines a million times before.
Because you have watched them before. Either them, or a film that is incredibly like them.

For god's sake Hollywood, fix your fucking fighting choreography because it is a bloody joke to look at.
If you eat chocolate chip ice cream 3 times a day, after a month, you'll get sick of eating chocolate chip ice cream.

1) Now that TV is 24/7 with 150 channels, and with Sky, etc., advertising a new film every month, and showing it 3 times a day, you have watched all or part of the same film 90 times in a month.

So you're seeing the same films over and over, until you get sick of them.

2) Thanks to advances in modern technology, it's much cheaper, faster and more reliable, to replicate someone else's product, than it is to make your own original product. Same with films. So film-makers copy each other's films, and even copy their own films.

So you're seeing the same types of films, over and over, with slight variations, util you get sick of them.

Top Bottom