• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How Old Are You?

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 3:09 PM
-->
I feel like I've gone into this before elsewhere on the forum. I suspect people think I'm younger than I really am especially if I'm tying to be friendly around strangers. I go a little manic and silly when I try to force my way through my natural reserve with strangers. I think the videos I've posted here show that a bit.

As it is when I tell co-workers and distant acquaintances how old I am they are often surprised. They think I'm younger than I am now. The same sort of people thought I was older than I was just a few years ago. I'm at that awkward age where I still struggle to get respect from older people but younger people think I'm old.

After about 18 age doesn't seem to matter much anymore in human development. I've known wise 18 year olds and inexperienced 40 year olds.

I'm am comfortable naming myself an INTP because those personality definitions do very closely describe me and always have.

wilsonwatsonc

Female INTP
Local time
Today 6:09 PM
-->
19-INTP

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with guessing my own age. I usually give one or two years behind, which is particularly bad as I look like I'm 24 or so, so I tend to shock people. I also still tend to estimate every year as if it was 2000 (so the 80's was 20 years ago, etc). Even though that means I'm 15 (wait...14) years off.

It probably just has to do with the iNtuitive trait among us. Age, numbers, and dates in general is not what I generally focus on, and I think it's the same for the majority of INTPs. That's a Sensing-type thing to do, especially when many intuitives get along with several different age groups (or at least that's my experience.)

deadpixel

Local time
Today 10:09 PM
-->
When you get this question from people, do you tend to initially struggle with extensive calculations surrounding the basis for the question? Have you associated your own personal stigma with your response? I'm mainly feeling this forum out still, might have signed up prematurely; not sure how many other INTPs I'm really meeting on here.

When people ask me how old I am, im wondering why they want to know. I get asked a lot and I think its because I look a lot younger than I actually am, then when im ready to give my answer I tell them how old I am and when my birthday is to give them the most accurate so they can have a better idea of exactly how old I am. I only say the month though and not the exact day. Im 27 years old (28 next month).

BrainVessel

Tony Blair's scrotum
Local time
Today 6:09 PM
-->
In a small Haitian tribe of despondent pantomimes
I think if one is under 30, or over 60, one should hesitate to give an age. If you fall into one of these two classes then age immediately defines you regardless as to whether it would be an accurate definition. "Under 30" and you are determined to be energetic and a bit dumb (sorry) due to lack of experience. "Over 60" and you are thought to be slow and a bit out of it as a result of aging. Facts are however that there are exhausted young people and there are innovative older people. If one is 30-60 then assumptions are withheld until someone knows you.

*coughs and dances away*

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
Today 11:09 PM
-->
For some periods I've tended to not like to answer that question. Probably periods where a sense of vulnerability to other people's presumptions and judgment has been high.

But not today. Born in the year of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Ageism seems to be quite rampant, but it does also seem to have lessened along with the general populace's exposure to many more kinds of people than before. Both in works of fiction and in reality. Slowly chipping away at the cruder examples of people-categorical thinking.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
For you, also, matchbox cars to play with.

You're over 40. If you were under 40, you would have said 'Hot Wheels cars'.

Categorizing / guessing approximate ages based on things people say and the visual clues from their avatars is fun, but probably ultimately meaningless. Anyway, it's much more fun than straight up asking.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:09 PM
-->
Alright. Do me @Solitaire U.

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
Alright. Do me @Solitaire U.

Hmmm...'Personality Pro' identifier, "chaos", quoted elsewhere in this thread posting "I'm old enough"...you're young. Definitely under 30, as are probably 50% of active members here, which increases my odds of guessing accurately.

Actually, I was just kidding. I mean, it's entirely true that after conscious, prolonged evaluation of any single member's posts, their approximate age can be reliably determined, even if they don't openly post it in a "How old are you" thread. But I don't have a genuine interest (or time) for doing such things. Anyway, I already know how old Jenny is. I was just playing.

But yeah, knock yourself out! How old am I QT? :)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
You didn't give me a number and didn't mention my avatar at all as well as my title. I'll give you 26.

[Edit] Thanks for reminding me that I should change my location. Thats a detail I forgot to change since I've been back. I have aged a lot since I was last here.

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
'QuickTwist' reminds me of those plastic handcuffs the cops use to arrest people en masse. Sounds like something more likely to be experienced by under 30's. Your avatar doesn't really strike an age-related chord, nor does the generic term 'Senior Member'.

Just FTR, I haven't yet visited your profile, nor browsed your other posts. Just going strictly on what you're displaying and what you've posted in this thread.

I'll guess in the middle. You're 25. Am I close?

Are you guessing I'm 26? ¡No mames! What made you arrive at that number?

EDIT: Just visited your profile. I was damned close! Heh. :)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
'QuickTwist' reminds me of those plastic handcuffs the cops use to arrest people en masse. Sounds like something more likely to be experienced by under 30's. Your avatar doesn't really strike an age-related chord, nor does the generic term 'Senior Member'.

HA! I'll take it.

Just FTR, I haven't yet visited your profile, nor browsed your other posts. Just going strictly on what you're displaying and what you've posted in this thread.

I'll guess in the middle. You're 25. Am I close?

Are you guessing I'm 26? ¡No mames! What made you arrive at that number?

EDIT: Just visited your profile. I was damned close! Heh. :)

Didn't mean to offend you. I was just looking at the avatar. Like you I haven't observed anything I could pick up on from your post because you don't post that much. Meh...

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
No offense taken! Quite the opposite in fact. I took it as a compliment. Nice to know I can still resemble someone 20 years younger...

But you must look deeper, Grasshopper. Yes, on the surface I am but a juvenile hot rod. But underneath, I am a film icon from an era that predates your birth by 5 years. Also "The Last of the V8 Interceptors" implies that I envision myself as 'the last' of something great...albeit old, a relic from a bygone era. I would have to be somewhat old in years, to maintain such an avatar 'persona'. :)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Well thank you. I am now old enough to be able to take advice from "old" people. Don't let my silly posts I make once in a while fool you; that is mostly just to play along. This goes especially for the My Personality Pro sig. Remember I'm almost too old to be trusted if you catch my drift. But yeah, I'm still young and active. I'm also old enough not to just take someones word for it.

MentalBrain

Local time
-->
Biologically, I'm 18, but I'm much older cognitively, if the age-peers I've observed are assumed to be average. I'm all but officially INTP; I've taken online tests and the Kiersey Temperament Sorter II, and all the descriptions fit, I just haven't ACTUALLY taken the OFFICIAL MBTI. I haven't really encountered many people asking me this question. Unless the question makes sense in context I'm usually apprehensive and evasive about answering, but I don't have any explicit problem with it aside from a desire to keep a tight hold on all the personal info I can. I'm similarly awkward when someone I don't know approaches me out of nowhere and asks my name, or any time someone tries to photograph me.

13thdoctor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
15. Though I don't really feel like I'm really 15. I can't relate to my age-peers that much. I just can't understand them. How they can just babble about dresses, TV shows, random artists ... and that, like, all the time. You could refer to me as the typical underachiever. I'm gifted, but education system wasn't made for people who actually think and tend to question stuff. I also hate that I just "have to" learn certain things. I'd rather just learn what I want. For example: I'm nearly fluent in english-speaking (and that took me half a year or so - just through watching random youtube videos and reading (tell me if I'm overestimating myself. I can't really tell how good I'm at english compared to others), but if it's just about memorizing facts, and I'm not interested, I'll just refuse to do anything and get really, really bad grades. I somehow want to get better at school, to get the possibility to go to university once I'm older, but otherwise I can't be bothered and think that it's all too stupid and not my fault that they can't get their shit together when it comes to education. Also I find that disabled people get treated far better than the onces who may be especially intelligent. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I perceive it.

13thdoctor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Just realized I totally got off-topic. Uhm, sorry for that!
What I really wanted to say by this: No, I don't feel like 15. Although my biological state of age somewhat limits my cognitive functions and abilities in the aspect that I may react like 'an average teenage girl' to certain events. My classmates always tell me I'm too serious, but adults always tell me that I'm not that much different and I'm just like everybody else. Whenever somebody brings this up, I wanna tell them what I think but firstly: They won't listen anyway, and secondly: They won't take me serious.

But how can you define age like that anyway? I met adults who were much more immature than the average teenager. I don't really like the idea that you have to be a certain age to do certain things. Like "Oh, I'm 10 years older, I know what will be the best to do!" Fantastic. It's clearly not my fault that I was born later than you. However, I think you get what I mean. No, I don't really like getting asked how old I am, because I feel like I'm getting judged fairly frequently for what age my biological body represents.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 11:09 PM
-->
How they can just babble about dresses, TV shows, random artists ... and that, like, all the time.

that's when you engage Ne to interpret the babbling in symbolic terms, derive some enjoyment from the implied combinatorial exercises, respond accordingly and be appreciated for your quirky lunacy. or something.

not_overjoyed

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I just answer. It feels like growing older is one of those universal things so I can't see getting hung up on someon's age.

I'm 21 if anyone cares.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I no longer look like a kid so I'm kinda old. I don't even have to show my ID to buy cigarettes most of the time.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:09 AM
-->

Top Bottom