• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How much information can mods/admins see?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 4:10 PM
-->
Are there any options mods/admins or other special people have that normal users don't? Not including the obvious ban/lock thread stuff.

Local time
Today 12:10 AM
-->
Nothing too special. They can see posts, threads, and VMs that have been deleted, as well as past edits and the IP address you used to register. They can also see users in hidden mode.

*EDIT: They can't see PMs, if you're wondering.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Yes, I can see the forum in technicolour and have access to racist smilies like this one.
smiley_emoticons_asian.gif

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This is unfair, I want them to have complete access to my privacy.
This way they have some ethical decisions to make involving their control.
Better mods than DARPA.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 7:10 PM
-->
Yeah, pretty much they See All, except for PMs.

They do not, however, know the color of your underwear. (unless you tell them.)

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Hm.. I was under the impression they had access to certain things before they even officially came into existence on the board, as well as things users click on.

Local time
-->
Hm.. I was under the impression they had access to certain things before they even officially came into existence on the board, as well as things users click on.
Like what? Sometimes a post gets caught in the spam filter or something and it can be seen by madmin who must approve it before it can appear, but that's a rare thing. At least here, anyway. And it's not something that they can control, it's just automatically done by the system.

As far as what users click on, they can't see anything more than what anyone can see here. The only difference is that users in hidden mode only show up for madmin.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
They do not, however, know the color of your underwear. (unless you tell them.)
Correction: They do not know the color of your underwear even if you tell them* unless you tell them you are not lying.

*Note to any moderator who questions why I bolded that. I do not know why I bolded that but will give it more thought if you require it.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Some moderators with special skills have access to the inner workings of your brain so they may anticipate your postings even before you post them. If you believe this is happening to you, do not fret. They only do that to enhance the guidance they will provide to keep you in line on track with worthy endeavors.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

They are talking to my brain right now and making me post this. HELP ME! STOP THEM! I... .CAn't FIGHTthEM anymo..... :phear:

the mods are all.
All are the mods.
all hail the mods.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
they have access to your webcam right when you login, so you should tape some paper over it if you're naked.

Local time
-->
they have access to your webcam right when you login, so you should tape some paper over it if you're naked.
I wish. That would make my periodic quests for n00dz more effective. :angel:

(Apparently one can write code to make this happen... And I am in the land of stereotypical computer nerds....)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 9:10 AM
-->

I put on my, "I heart Puffy" cap and do naked stripteases for the moderators when I log in.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How long can they see posts that are deleted? :eek: Do they just last forever?

Local time
-->
How long can they see posts that are deleted? :eek: Do they just last forever?
Pretty much. Users can only "soft delete" which basically just makes them invisible to users. Only madmin can hard delete, and it is done only in exceedingly rare circumstances, mostly with spambots.

And of course you've got people like me who edit each post 8 times or so because they type like a windowlicker.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Fuckerooney! Are you serious? This should be front-page info, surely.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Fuckerooney! Are you serious? This should be front-page info, surely.

ROFL!

I'm not sure why you guys would think mods couldn't read edited posts. How could they moderate if someone could just insult someone else, then edit their post and say, "Ohhh, I never said anything bad, I don't know what their problem is"?

There are no real hard deletes on this forum except from the admin crowd, everything's a soft delete.

like THD, I'm an incorrigible post editor, so I probably drive staff nuts when they want to examine my edits. I think I've edited a post 7-8 times before, within five minutes after posting.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^Yeah, I edit like crazy too! Goddammit!

So when they read through a thread, they see every single version of the post? That can't be right. Or is it just archived somewhere away from thread-viewing experience?

Local time
-->
It's one click away. There's an extra icon/button beside the standard "Edit" "Quote" etc.

soupymess

kick trees
Local time
-->
Can they see search histories? *loads gun*

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 1:10 AM
-->
We can see what search queries are used on the "who's online" page. Then again I think regular users can see it too. Speaking of which, you can also see who reads PMs by whom on that page. I've discovered it way before my modminship. :phear:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
^Yeah, I edit like crazy too! Goddammit!

So when they read through a thread, they see every single version of the post? That can't be right. Or is it just archived somewhere away from thread-viewing experience?

Yeah, there's a button like someone else said. How well that can view the edits depends on what plugin has been added (although maybe it's part of the main package now? Not sure.) There used to be a split screen where you can compared each edit to the prior version, similar to how you can compare versions of Word files, etc.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Okay. So there's no exclusive page that mods use to keep track of what users are doing, such as "so&so is currently typing a post in thread x" and they can't somehow see text that is entered into a box but not officiated by clicking submit, then.

Local time
-->
Okay. So there's no exclusive page that mods use to keep track of what users are doing, such as "so&so is currently typing a post in thread x" and they can't somehow see text that is entered into a box but not officiated by clicking submit, then.
Nope. That level of intrusion is unique to Facebook and Gmail. ;)

Steven Gerrard

Singing or frowning
Local time
-->
Speaking of which.

Does Facebook own my old profiles?

Might we see them like publicly publishing celebrities profiles in the future?

Steven Gerrard

Singing or frowning
Local time
-->
I've said some pretty retarded and embarrasing things when I was like 12 on my status's.:o

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
What's the consensus on deleting forum accounts, or requesting certain posts to be deleted? Would it have to be put up for review to determine if the reason is good enough? Would the temporary ability to edit posts be granted?

Local time
-->
I think Just George tried asking for something similar (and failed miserably). Basically... it's entirely at the discretion of madmin. If you're talking only a few posts, you might have success requesting edits by madmin. That's actually easier than granting someone the capacity to edit their posts beyond the normal time limit.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I've said some pretty retarded and embarrasing things when I was like 12 on my status's.:o
I sorta feel the same way... I just hope no one remembers (I'm not super important and hope anyone on my friend list doesn't constantly think of stuff I said on fb from a few years ago, or if we see each other in person it seems as if some of the information I put on fb has some effect on their perception.. worst comes to worst, they can choose to be understanding and apply any temporary or in the moment type motivations for the reason the info was made public, a slap on the wrist so to speak. there might not be anything that can be done, no redemption, except for maybe doing some thing in person that would effectively alter their outlook because they didn't have the necessary data, which could have existed beforehand in certain instances.. reminds me of dealing with intjs, from my understanding) so I don't have to search my entire timeline and delete certain things, but hopefully no one cares enough to be examining my profile like that anyway, unless of course they just remember. If I did search and delete it wouldn't take that long or anything, but yeah, there are a couple things from a few years back I wouldn't mind not existing there anymore.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 1:10 AM
-->
such as "so&so is currently typing a post in thread x"

This does exist actually, on the aforementioned "Who's online page", which can be accessed by clicking on the "Currently active users" link near the bottom of the index page, but it's not exclusive to mods, unless you use invisible mode.

4uyqdpN.png

If you want to use invisible mode go to User CP - Options and Settings - Edit options - and check the Use invisible mode box

and they can't somehow see text that is entered into a box but not officiated by clicking submit, then.

Unless you post it, it's not visible to anyone but yourself.

Top Bottom