• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How are you different from others of your type?

dark+matters

Local time
Today 1:43 AM
-->
In real life, have you met others who were undeniably the same type or of a very similar type as you (e.g., the same four letters or one different letter, confirmed by either by testing or by regular contact lasting over two years)?

In what ways did you differ from that individual? What do you attribute these differences to?

Kets-Mean-Kitty

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:43 AM
-->
I usually score INTP on tests, but I hate how binary they are. I don't think everyone (or really, anyone), precisely fits one of the two options in the four facets of personality. For example, I think I am just as much a feeler as I am a thinker. (Yet, on some tests, thinking is my most dominant trait!) And most of the population, myself included, is composed of ambiverts. I generally identify as an introvert, because I do need alone-time to recharge myself. But at the same time, I love to lead, and I really like being the center of everyone attention and affection!

...So I guess that's how I differ from a lot of other INTPs I know in real life. The two INTPs I know in real life are pretty quiet and calm, and they don't seem to mind stepping back and letting others take the stage. Me? I'm a little more outspoken, haha.

Esurient Fere

*grownup
Local time
Today 8:43 AM
-->
I recently found out a close friend of mine is an INTP. He is very different from myself to the point where I think he's mis-typed. There are major differences between the two of us. He's not very concise, he tends to lean on his feelings for most things, and he has more respect for authorities. I do see that he finds most things ambiguous due to people being sloppy with their words and he can follow my logical trail. I assume we've developed different interest areas and our characteristics my be weighted different.
He also claims the Ambivert title.
I can see that a major difference would be our upbringing. I was raised to be very independent and make my own decisions. He was raised Roman Catholic. Also we experienced very different levels of acceptance within our peer group growing up. He was popular in a way.
Being an INTP would make sense on some levels. He left the Roman Catholic church for a more liberal church, he makes decisions based on long term logical analysis, and he will question norms. I'm still skeptical. He is the only one of my close friends that is an INTP.
(Interestingly enough I'm in a cluster of ENTP's, INFJ's, and ISTP's. I suspect certain types tend to gather together.)

StevenM

beep
Local time
Today 4:43 AM
-->
It's hard to say, as I don't see or meet very many. Those that I suspect may be INTP seem different in that they got things working out for them, they are on the ball and are happily managing life.

With an ISTP, I've found we were very alike. Except for the fact that he likes thrill and speed, finds cars sexy, a motorbike mechanic, and more into the hardware. I'm more into ideas, planning, designing, and software. Planning and designing is not his forte. Just jump in and design on the fly. I sit for hours thinking about it, researching, measuring or blueprinting before I start.

But our humour, perception on life, thirst for knowledge and critical thinking was very similar. We've had great discussions and debates.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:43 AM
-->
Type is a pseudo-indicator.
It indicates not the difference of humans, but rather generilzes their personalities into a measly grouping of 16.

There are currently roughly 7 billion humans on this planet.
In all probability, due to the myriad of complexities encompassing each individual, having differences from one's type is to be expected.

The results of this thread would be more entertaining if the question was stated as "Who is exactly like their officiated type description".

:eek:

dark+matters

Local time
-->
I test as a lot of different types (based on my career track, usually... I guess my personality tends to change a little around the profession I'm pursuing), but I relate mostly to INTP and INFP. Anytime I'm working on a business plan, I get INTJ, but that doesn't sound right.

I believe I have spotted an INTP in the wild today, so I thought I'd contrast myself with him, an INFP I interacted with today, and my INTJ dad.

This INTP is the Jesus of the physics department. His reputation for being both very friendly and accommodating and insanely good at math proceeds him. That is definitely not like me. I suck at math, although I am making an effort to grow that part of my brain. Although people who didn't know me sometimes knew about me because of my art back where I came from. People often used to describe me as "the nice lady," although that is not really one of my major values, I don't think.

That said, we are both clearly artsy fartsy- me more so than him. But he's always trying to advertize his Etsy stuff, and his office has a bunch of artsy craftsy stuff, etc. We were both dressed very casually: him in khaki shorts and a blue-gray flannel shirt and me in capris and a long-sleeved gray shirt and a blue-gray scarf.

I am warmer than he is. He comes across as extremely warm, upbeat and friendly over the phone and e-mail, but he is definitely very introverted, and concise to the point of being a little abrupt in person. Fairly blunt in affect and neutral. Plays his cards close to his chest. That's just my initial impression of him. I know he's an INTP because the researchers working with him describe his disapproval of MIT's bureaucracy and overlord-control and how preferred to do his Ph.D. somewhere more casual and open. He definitely does not seem interested in steering me one way or another with my degree plans, but only gives me a wide burst of facts that I can use to steer myself.

He seems to have done a straight-shot with his career trajectory and stayed in that direction. That is not at all like me, although I have always self identified as "an artist." He's married, I'm single- but he's probably 15-20 years older than me.

INFP: I get this one a lot too, and relate well to the description... sometimes. I talked with an INFP friend today, and we are similar in that we appreciate harmony, are sometimes a bit non-confrontational and passive aggressive when we disapprove of something or have a problem, are a little dependent, avoid doing things that are too hard sometimes, are both "writers." Our writing style is very different though. He writes for a popular audience and has a definite religious/personal spiritual values bent, and I write for myself and have a sort of mystical/nihlistic bent. I write to excise my own anxiety or negative feelings and he writes in order to write a fun story. I also struggle to yank out my feelings and jam them into odd characters and situations whereas he likes more natural or supernatural beings and doesn't seem as insecure about making an emotionally-provokative scene. I like to make scenes and go over the top, whereas he seems to have a more simple, natural flow to his stories. He had a harder time, emotionally-speaking, in college than I did, although we both resented many aspects of it. I am far more blunt, critical and aggressive than he is.

INTJ: I used to get this one a lot when I was in management and working out long term investment plans, but I don't relate much to the type description. I've only met one definite INTJ (my dad), so I don't know if our differences count as typological differences. How are we the same? We're both knowledge-obsessed, consuming book after book in pursuit of something "interesting." We both get caught up in the feels about something really different, but good- but he had a richer, more opulent, masculine and timeless sense of aesthetics than me. He could sense very abstract nuances like that about people too, and I have a much harder time with that. I'm a lot more open-ended in my judgments about people. I can smell a crazy a lot better than he could, but he could get a better sense of what organizations and friendships were more positive in the long run. I absolutely suck at that. He was way more interested in conspiracy theories and grand universal plan sort of things than I am (although I find well-supported things like that to be a lot of fun and definitely possible). He was more into music than I was, and I was more into art. We could both do really well on critical reading tests (but he was insanely good to a degree that was really fascinating). I suspect that he was a great deal better at standardized testing in general than I am. He was much less concerned about what others around him were feeling (or I should say, seemed much less capable of realizing what others around him were feeling, although I am sometimes oblivious as well if I'm not in that "mode"). But he had more energy to socialize with strangers. I think I can sometimes come across as more cranky, abrupt and possibly more "snobbish" to people I don't know if you catch me on the wrong day. But he was much more concerned about reputation and earning honors and prestige than I am (although I am much more concerned about that sort of thing now that I have moved into a large urban area. He was born and raised in a large urban area.) We both took (are taking?) forever to pick an area in which to focus, career-wise, and have both veered into jobs in which we design systems or make up our own methods.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 2:43 AM
-->
How are you different from others of your type?

i used to be a ninja

Lightsaber_zpsl2nenkmn.png~original

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
I believe I've met one other INTP. He's in my workplace, and often can be seen staring off into the distance and reading books. Other than that, he's surprisingly different. He never does his work, and I do, because my plan for the long run depends on my work. He's vastly more of a Perceiver, although we both forget things to some degree. We also share a disrespect for the SJ Guardian corporate hierarchy of complete morons that is present in most big businesses. I'm not necessarily friends with him, because I'd have seen it all (he wouldn't be too interesting; I like friends of other types) and he doesn't give me the best reputation with those higher in power than I, who I am trying to impress.

Mordecai

Nostalgic Time Transcender
Local time
-->
I many of my close friends are INTP, but none seem to care about academics quite as much as I do. I procrastinate a lot, but I still manage A's and B's in all honors, while several of my fellow INTP peers maintain similar grades in CP classes. The thought of being in CP classes greatly displeases me, and I know if I were in their position, I'd pursue getting into honors constantly.

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
Today 9:43 AM
-->
Lately some test results have started showing that I might be an ENTP, but I'm definitely an INTP. Among people I tend to act as an ENxx, depending on the people and situation. I've met a few confirmed INTPs, but never really got close to them. They were too introverted to care about socializing and had little interest in people they didn't know. In contrast I enjoy meeting people and talking to them. It might not lead anywhere and it exhausts me, but I enjoy this little game where I pretend to be more conventional. I generally find people fascinating and want to study them. I worked really well with those same INTPs and we were literally able to guess each other's thoughts.

I get along with and really enjoy xNTJs. I think we are similar (or at least I've grown to be like them - my mom is an INTJ [I believe] and my best friend is an ENTJ). I have no issues with organizing and managing things/people when needed. We get excited by the same/similar things, we like to theorize and search for knowledge, we have our own brand of humor, we are more open to ideas than other types I've met (the ENTJs at least have been open, the INTJs have needed more debating to accept something new) and are impulsive.

INFP: I talked with an INFP friend today, and we are similar in that we appreciate harmony, are sometimes a bit non-confrontational and passive aggressive when we disapprove of something or have a problem, are a little dependent, avoid doing things that are too hard sometimes, are both "writers."

The INFP I know is exactly like that as well, but she was non-confrontational and harmony loving to the point where she would prioritize group feelings over project outcomes. This was bad, because she was the group leader and had the last word on everything. I, on the other hand, have no issue with keeping project success as top priority and telling the group to re-learn their stuff.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I recently discovered that my best friend is an INTP like myself.
But I do believe the ratio of our S/N are different, he's far more aware of his surroundings than I, also he is not academically inclined in the slightest, whereas I sort of am.
He's also less socially likeable than me.. Dunno why.
But apart from that we are very similar.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Type is a pseudo-indicator.
It indicates not the difference of humans, but rather generilzes their personalities into a measly grouping of 16.

is this a way of saying that type is not an exhaustive description of all aspects of a human? or is it more than that

cause that seems rather trivial given that the number of humans isn't 16 but way larger

i'm being a dick but it's a holo-dick so all is cool, promise

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm kind of an amalgam of different types in terms of what I manifest. Most people think I'm either INTP, INFP, or ENTP (depending on situation), although typically the INFPs are like, "No, you're not one of us," and I've gone batty in environments with large numbers of them. I've developed a more brash, "let's see what this does" approach over time, so the ENTP thing was a more recent addition.

I'm not sure what an "average" MBTI INTP looks like. I would think it would express a melding of Ti and Ne just by definition, but typically I see people considered more INTP the more they focus on T to the exclusion of other areas. It's not much different than the ESFJs who claim you "don't care enough" just because you're not blatantly dealing with people's feelings all the time. But maybe every type concept can involve some type of extremity.

So how do I compare? Depends on setting. In my personal life, I'm either laid back (P); goofy (N) if I know you well enough to express that around you; or informative on how to do something, accomplish a goal, explaining how something works, etc. (T). If I don't know you, I'm very quiet and just listen a lot (I). I use Fe more like an ENTP will use Fe to sell something, I can 'turn it on' to make the deal, and I understand the rules very well, enough to avoid any large social faux pas so I can come across as very accommodating. Some people are surprised when they get to know me, that I'm not nearly as polite or uncontroversial as I seem when I was a stranger; once the Ne gets engaged, the sky's the limit, and once I detach, I'll poke people where they don't want to be poked (nothing personal) if it seems to be appropriate. You will not see much demonstration of affection (and you'll even note a physical awkwardness regarding such things) unless you are a close friend, and then it's not really much more than average if that. I never really have an emotional outburst (positive or negative) IRL; I'm viewed as reasonable, generally positive, and non-judgmental, my main weakness (to others) is that I don't engage enough.

I'm more brash and comfortable in writing and willing to experiment and go places. I used to be more rigid and felt everything I did have to be logical-sounding, now I more just enjoy myself. I'm a TERRIBLE actor in my body, but in writing? It's the one place I can "act" -- try on an outfit and see what I can accomplish with it. Some INTPs are more textbook in their writing, but I play a lot. Again, it's a matter of comfort.

It's also the place where I really dare to explore parts of myself that can be nebulous or unsettling, and where you might see that SX side of me coming out, searching for intensity. I don't see that as much in the average INTP, things seem to typically be more restrained. I might come out more NF'y in my writing, since I've made it more into a sandbox for myself versus a place to be very structured (unless of course the writing calls for it). My lack of interest in detail (aside from crucial detail to anchor ideas) doesn't help much; everything takes on an NP hue.

...The results of this thread would be more entertaining if the question was stated as "Who is exactly like their officiated type description".:eek:

....YYYYYeeeeeeeeeesssssss....how may I help you?:cool:

Wow. It's like finding a unicorn -- right here, in our midst.

Local time
-->
DrGregoryHouse probably has an ongoing monologue with himself about how great an INTP he is :p hmmm *kicks DrGregoryHouse to the witch-hunt thread*

Absinthesize

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm largely INTP, tho when im sad/depress/angry I'm more INTJ

the main differences is I dont like math! this is possibly due to my teachers growing up

also my INTP nature was VERY discouraged growing up by my father whom I love dearly and have a good relationship today, but neither of us knew how to deal with eachother for many years. There was a time i had a 2 hour deep conversation with him to realize at the very end we were talking about two different things >.>

So...im a INTP who learned other traits due to my upbringing, and i hate math for math sake.

Rualani

You Silly Willy
Local time
-->
Pardon the vague expression, but I feel like each cognitive function is a deep as the ocean. I don't think a solid definition for the process truly exist, but I do think the process can pick up all sorts of different perspectives leading to differences in people with different experiences.

E.G. Let's say that we define a common trait of INTPs as folks who like to tie different and unrelated experiences (Ne) into a solid consistent, "Okay, how the heck does this all come together and make sense" (Ti). Considering how abysmally large and complicated the universe is, no matter which INTP it is, they are going to have a different set of experiences to draw into their consistent view of reality.

Then, you take into account the universals ,that functions, probably, don't have anything to deal with, like childhood emotional memories, that change how we behave and you have a bunch of different and crazy people with the same type indicator.

mu is mu

Local time
-->
I have encountered a number of INTPs in the math and statistics departments at my university, both as students and as professors. I have also encountered many, many other NTs there as well, including INTJs and ENTPs (who, as you say, differ from my type by one letter). All of my statistics professors but one have been NTs and so have most of my math professors; they can be some intensively analytical, deep-thinking individuals, for sure.

As far as differences are concerned, it seems like many of the NTs I've encountered have either been atheistic or agnostic with regard to worldview, while I'm Christian. This causes us to be different in many ways.

Without going into too much detail on that supposedly somewhat sensitive topic, another major difference is that many of the NTs I've encountered tend to be fairly socially awkward--some of them much more so than others. The ESFJ secretary for my statistics professors considers them all to be goofy, weird, or whatever other words that SJs tend to use in their attempts to convey how socially challenged NTs can be. While I'm certainly not the most socially skilled individual on the planet (ha--far from it), it seems that many NTs, for whatever reason, don't bother to develop their intellect with regard to understanding social reality/social skills. I guess that my worldview combined with the fact that I spent the first 21 years of my life convinced that I was an ISTJ forced me to develop my social skills faster and more intensively than the typical NT. Majoring in sociology and spending an enormous amount of time reading about personality theory were both factors, too, I imagine. Many, if not most, NTs have never even heard of personality theory before--I can't even imagine what my life would be like without my having the clear, assuring understanding that I am a type of person that we all know as INTP. That would be a very confusing life; I'm so glad and feel so fortunate that I began learning about personality theory when I did, but feel sympathy for the NTs who spend a large portion of their lives wondering if something is wrong with them for being an NT.

Besides these differences, I still find it remarkable how similar I am to other NTs at my university, regardless of the differences in our ages, ethnicities, worldviews, nationalities, etc. In many ways it's easier for me to relate to my 68-year-old INTJ statistics professor from Columbia than it is for me to relate to American Sensors who are my age, ethnicity, gender, and who have the same worldview as me.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
I'm more NF-y than most INTPs. I'm more spiritual, in terms of religion and how I act. Some INTPs come off as harsher than me, too. I'm not as stand-offish as others. I still debate people a lot, and I hold my own in arguments, but I'm never completely tied to my own logic and reason like some INTPs I've found.

rockandy

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm more NF-y than most INTPs. I'm more spiritual, in terms of religion and how I act. Some INTPs come off as harsher than me, too. I'm not as stand-offish as others. I still debate people a lot, and I hold my own in arguments, but I'm never completely tied to my own logic and reason like some INTPs I've found.

I was hoping to hear an INTP other than myself say this. I realized at some point that my opposite is ESFJ. When the 4 INTP functions flip upside down under extreme stress, my ESFJ emerges, and that guy scares me. This means that for a while now I've been trying to tap into my Fi. That's right, they say stay away from the "devilish" 4th shadow function. But I say it's only devilish because we don't know what we're doing with it. My INTP logical is trying to communicate with my ESFJ feelings instead of just ignoring them. I'm hoping to do this positively of course.

However: BIG However. Speaking of devilish though, it makes sense to me. My INTP says.....let's try this....

INTP (age 29)
- must learn to become more productive
- must find the big picture
- believe that my feelings mean something, right? They exist after all
- also, must learn more about these feelings and use them effectively
- must be careful because I barely trust my Fe to behave, so Fi is scary indeed

ESFJ Inner self (usually only "noticeably" active under stress)
- why do I fear things so much
- why is natural ESFJ over there a risk-taker and I'm not
- my Fe says the sanctity of life is real
- why can't we all just get along....seriously....anybody?
- my Ti ball-and-chain rat on a wheel upstairs is killing me
- everybody only pretends to love each other
- I'm also hypocritical
- sometimes I feel like hanging up the towel and killing my conscience...
- but if I do....I can't do that. I want to do the right thing.
- I hate my awareness that so many people are stressed and miserable like me

My problem is that now I'm always aware of what mister ESFJ is telling me, and my Ne makes these feelings more intense. The devilish function makes sense when I hear people say the Devil and his demons manipulate us and torment us every day. Martin Luther, INTJ, believed we encounter him every day. I understand people having a bad day, but why are so many people killing and doing such terrible things to each other every day. You would think people would be able to control themselves, but I feel like the rapid increase of violence among other awful things doesn't seem natural. Why do people take things from point A to Z so quickly and easily nowadays? The whole sudden rise of police brutality shocked me as well. I would assume this would be gradual and containable, but it exploded seemingly out of nowhere. It's like people in mass are loosing their minds.

My point is, if the Devil is NOT the one making the world worse, that would surprise me. Yes, I already know I will sound crazy to many as I write this.

"Ignore what you're heart tells you. People will think you're crazy if you talk like that. You'll embarrass yourself if you speak of things outside the norm like that. Ignore the problems of the world and focus on bettering yourself. Don't give people the impression you're a conspiracy theorist or anything remotely similar."

These are the kinds of things people tell me, either directly or indirectly. I'm passed holding these things in at this point in my life.

I am still an INTP though. I still theorize and sort through things logically. The line is just blurring now. Speaking of being spiritual though; when I try to imagine what God sees and is really trying to tell us, I'm honestly terrified.

Being an INTP is hard enough as is, but I never realized how hard it could get. I used to ignore this "feelings" side of myself. I was afraid that once I started listening to my real feelings, I wouldn't be able to stop myself later. I can't just turn it off now like I used to.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
Jumping out from behind a rock, shouting, "It is evidence that types do not exist," and then jumping into a trench to avoid the onslaught of enemy gunfire.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I would have virtually the same response to this question as if someone would ask me how am I the same or different than virtually anyone else on the planet. I would say I have no fucking clue what makes me different, but we are human.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Jumping out from behind a rock, shouting, "It is evidence that types to not exist," and then jumping into a trench to avoid the onslaught of enemy gunfire.

Rocks don't matter when your enemy has a big enough bomb.

Or a lava gun.

...Being an INTP is hard enough as is, but I never realized how hard it could get. I used to ignore this "feelings" side of myself. I was afraid that once I started listening to my real feelings, I wouldn't be able to stop myself later. I can't just turn it off now like I used to.

...yeah, real life ruins you. ;)

Srsly, though, if you start engaging it, then you're in for the duration. I found I needed to strike a balance and give emotions and connections "their due" ... they are still monitored by a detached rational process, but the process also has developed a good sense of when it's "safe" to let them out and run with them. (Kind of like finding a safe part of the road to hand your kid the car keys and letting him drive for a bit, rather than never letting him learn how to drive at all.) So I don't have to just indiscriminately just jam them all in the box and keep holding the lid down all the time. They have their place.

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
I'm rather vain. Though I have little to no clothes, I do put a significant amount of thought into it. I tend to blame this on my sister.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
In terms of stereotypes I might be more similar to an INTP than an ENFP. I rely fairly heavily on Ne to compensate for my fractured mind. I'm fairly detached and low in affective empathy. I'm not particularly idealistic, more realistic and practical (not that those need be mutually exclusive). I prefer to observe and come up with plans in contrast to executing them. Though these tendencies have become stronger as I've become a bit ill. I guess there's a chance I'll become more outgoing and playful again once I recover.

I've met people with whom I share aspects of my personality with. Most of them INTPs, I think. I haven't met many ENFPs in genral.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
Looking at the ENTP descriptions, I vary in a few ways.

-I don't enjoy conflict (but I will face it, if I must).
-I don't like to be the "underdog" in a social sense. Though it's awesome in other ways, like when playing games or having discussions because you can really let loose and put your all into it without having to worry about crushing someone's entire soul with defeat in the process.
-I'm not socially confident, but I'd say that I am in most other ways.
-I'm not charismatic with peers. Though I have a way with kids, animals, old people, employees, and supervisors. But colleagues and most age-group peers outside a vocational setting IRL don't find me compelling at all.
-I've learned not to turn what's supposed to be a moment of sympathy into a debate -- when I recognize it, that is.
-I avoid "making waves" professionally (though I do when I must)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Looking at the ENTP descriptions, I vary in a few ways.

-I don't enjoy conflict (but I will face it, if I must).

It's interesting to look at how our Internet personas might vary from live type.

(For example, from your online presence, I wouldn't sense you having an issue with conflict; you seem pretty fearless here.)

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
It's interesting to look at how our Internet personas might vary from live type.

(For example, from your online presence, I wouldn't sense you having an issue with conflict; you seem pretty fearless here.)
That's because no one here can punch me in the face or scream, threaten, stalk, undermine me professionally, or anything like that. I don't shy from debate with people I know trust/feel physically safe around. It's just that don't feel safe being open with most people IRL. I guess that just makes you all my "peeps".

Edit: clarification -- I am not afraid of verbal conflict, debate, or disagreement. I am afraid of every other types of conflict. Once I've left the tepid waters of intellectual debate or philosophy, I feel powerless. I have no skills in a physical conflict, or in a authoritative conflict, or a power struggle. I just don't know how to fight those fights, and I never fare well. So I shy away and avoid them whenever possible.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:43 PM
-->
In real life, have you met others who were undeniably the same type or of a very similar type as you (e.g., the same four letters or one different letter, confirmed by either by testing or by regular contact lasting over two years)?

In what ways did you differ from that individual? What do you attribute these differences to?

with other intp's its like a non-verbal understanding. we r kool with each other. also best friends cuz we get each other.

-i was told by a loud annoying person that im shy. (theres a difference btwn shy and quiet..im quiet..shes an idiot).
-people have told me i look like im calm and chill
-others told me i look intense/angry

everyone that I get along realllly really well with is an NF. i only know because i asked.

im also kool with intjs, they are fun to talk to, also best friends

i f***ing hate loud people they annoy me. also loud people find me "intimidating" and im glad bc they can f.o. lol

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
That's because no one here can punch me in the face or scream, threaten, stalk, undermine me professionally, or anything like that. I don't shy from debate with people I know trust/feel physically safe around. It's just that don't feel safe being open with most people IRL. I guess that just makes you all my "peeps".

Edit: clarification -- I am not afraid of verbal conflict, debate, or disagreement. I am afraid of every other types of conflict. Once I've left the tepid waters of intellectual debate or philosophy, I feel powerless. I have no skills in a physical conflict, or in a authoritative conflict, or a power struggle. I just don't know how to fight those fights, and I never fare well. So I shy away and avoid them whenever possible.

It sounds like you need to learn how to .....
[bimgx=600]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8Ve3MX0Nu4I/TdgKHIM6izI/AAAAAAAABrk/giuSMh4_w-k/s1600/2011-Kung-Fu-Panda-2-1366x768.jpg[/bimgx]

! ! ! K U N G * F U ! ! !

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I do love Kung Fu... :D

DrSketchpad

Local time
-->
I had some other things to say, but then I realized I could condense it to this:

My Fe is more passive. Sure, my reflections / ideas are largely centered around people, but other INFJs seem like Fe doms in social settings a lot of the time. Whereas, in a party or whatever, I can comfortably go through a conversation that isn't about ideas, but I largely just want to stand there by myself (or even more ideally stay at home).

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I had some other things to say, but then I realized I could condense it to this:

My Fe is more passive. Sure, my reflections / ideas are largely centered around people, but other INFJs seem like Fe doms in social settings a lot of the time. Whereas, in a party or whatever, I can comfortably go through a conversation that isn't about ideas, but I largely just want to stand there by myself (or even more ideally stay at home).
You know, that brings up a point I've wondered about from time to time. For being so rare, there are an awful lot of INFJs running around. I've never run across an ENFJ. I thought before that the EJ love of practicality might get them mistaken for ESFJs, but maybe FeNi people just have a knack for testing as NiFe.

I mean, we've discussed lately about this happening to ENTPs typing as INTPs, why not ENFJs typing as INFJs. It would explain why you feel more introverted than the others.

TeapotPanda

Local time
-->
Inside my mind .. and yours now that you read this
I think i broke Fe side hehe.Usually when i start feeling things my mind isn`t able to process them fast enough so i become slightly pyschotic same happens when im under severe stress or boredom.Tho when this happens i tend to seclude both my mind and body from other people.

As to how most people perceive me i`ve noticed they all say im Weird with a capital W but once they get to know me better they tell me i give them alot of insight.Tho they know im unlikely to pick up my phone or talk to them outside of my "workplace".And in the end they find me nice but still weird hehe.

As far as i can tell maybe my brother is an intp i dont know i can`t force him to take to the test or really be bothered i suppose.Nor do i believe i mingle enough besides my hobbies in order to be able to spot other Intp ish people.Tho before i learned that i was an intp i always felt the "odd" one out having to underperform in many fields in order to blend in.One day when the teacher asked in the class who they thought was the smartest they all agreed that i had some hidden plan.This was mostly because i knew how to manipulte and convince the people around me when i was absent of my scool for most days simply of boredom and feeling out of place.nd because i was able to outplay and manipulte the people around me alloing me to fore go punishment or "reschedual" it to a more convenient time for myself.

Tho i still giggle in myself when people say they cant live without their phone for a day or two when i can go weeks without even realising its out of battery.

As far as i personally think i differ from other Intps.. hmm i supposee i can lick my own elbows but i do feel that most of our reasoning skills follow the same main line.And like in math sometimes i know that the same results can be achieved trough diffrent ways.2+2=4=5-1 We all explore the questions diffrently but usually find the same or the exact opposite result of each other.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
I've never run across an ENFJ. I thought before that the EJ love of practicality might get them mistaken for ESFJs, but maybe FeNi people just have a knack for testing as NiFe.

I mean, we've discussed lately about this happening to ENTPs typing as INTPs, why not ENFJs typing as INFJs. It would explain why you feel more introverted than the others.

You've never met an ENFJ? Interesting. I've known one INFJ, and she's one of the more extraverted, ENFJ-ish ones.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
bronto is INFJ

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
You're right, I should correct known to seen, or met in real life.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I know both ENFJs and INFJs IRL (of both genders), although I tend to know more INFJs. The INFJ women feel like a weird mix between ENFJ and ISFJ... far more solitary and opaque compared to the ENFJs, but with a similar Fe interaction style to the ISFJs.

DrSketchpad

Local time
-->
You know, that brings up a point I've wondered about from time to time. For being so rare, there are an awful lot of INFJs running around.

I've also noticed that. It's not that I haven't met quite a few INFJs, which I have as far as I can tell, but there seems to be too many based on the statistics I read a while back. I think people don't like answering the MBTI questions that indicate INFJ properties I guess.

I've never run across an ENFJ. I thought before that the EJ love of practicality might get them mistaken for ESFJs, but maybe FeNi people just have a knack for testing as NiFe.

The one ENFJ I've met is really manipulative. Here you can see the Fe (emotional influence) being dominant as opposed to seeing it as a duty given by the "big-picture" (NiFe). I don't think the INFJs I see are actually extroverts, but I think they're more comfortable than most I'd say in situations that would let them show the typical tell signs of being one.

That being said, I really wish I could come across more INTPs. I've only met one definite Ti dom (not sure Ne-Se) and I was only in contact with him for an hour or so. If I could form a tightly knit circle of xxTPs my life would be complete.

Urakro

~
Local time
-->
with other intp's its like a non-verbal understanding. we r kool with each other. also best friends cuz we get each other.

-i was told by a loud annoying person that im shy. (theres a difference btwn shy and quiet..im quiet..shes an idiot).
-people have told me i look like im calm and chill
-others told me i look intense/angry

everyone that I get along realllly really well with is an NF. i only know because i asked.

im also kool with intjs, they are fun to talk to, also best friends

i f***ing hate loud people they annoy me. also loud people find me "intimidating" and im glad bc they can f.o. lol

Same, but I am shy. I don't like loud people either.

I can't do that aloof thing INTP's do, and get away with it convincingly. The not caring about anything or anyone thing, all slumped asynchronous. Out of my confort-zone, I'm more hyper-aware and sensitive.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:43 PM
-->
I have an ISTP friend. I'd say the big difference between us is that he's more grounded and less introverted. He's also a bit better with his reflexes and such, is a great athlete. That's really about it; other than that we can communicate pretty well to each other and are capable of learning the same things, though he's much better suited to say being a lifeguard than I could be.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
I don't know. I am somewhere between an introvert and ambivert, socially, but less openly argumentative than most ENTPs, although I'm internally a very skeptical person and more argumentative internally than externally. It's easier to argue online, but I don't always see the point of arguing for the sake of arguing. My goal is always to understand reality. I like having fun with my imagination, and can quickly switch between being serious and playful.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I don't know. I am somewhere between an introvert and ambivert, socially, but less openly argumentative than most ENTPs, although I'm internally a very skeptical person and more argumentative internally than externally. It's easier to argue online, but I don't always see the point of arguing for the sake of arguing. My goal is always to understand reality. I like having fun with my imagination, and can quickly switch between being serious and playful.

Ah. Reality. Then you are 'objectively' oriented. Reality though is quote subjective, Please don't loose yourself in the maze.

OP: I don't feel much different from other of my type, perhaps a bit diverse in interests. But the mechanics should be similar enough.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
Ah. Reality. Then you are 'objectively' oriented. Reality though is quote subjective, Please don't loose yourself in the maze.

OP: I don't feel much different from other of my type, perhaps a bit diverse in interests. But the mechanics should be similar enough.

I have just come to realize that the philosophy of science is awesome in its awesomeness. It hasn't always been the case though.

Only in under some branches of philosophy, like the continentals, can one claim that all paths to knowledge are equally valid and that scientists have only a part of the whole, claims obscured by its irrationality, but fun to contemplate!

Top Bottom