• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

"Holy shit this makes sens" introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 9:48 PM
-->
Has brought a new low in spelling, grammar, and general respect for language. I'm all for language transformation, and I embrace novel uses of old words, changes in constants, and other naturally occurring modifications, but his spelling is atrocious.

Can we request a ban? He needs to finish middle school before he gets onto this forum, and I'm *pretty sure* there is a 13-year age limit on this forum.

Let me quote from the rules of the forum:
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
His posts are obscene and vulgar. :)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I say we make 'im walk the plank.

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:48 PM
-->
Why don't you use the ignore function, or simply skip his posts if you don't find anything valuable in them (like I've been doing ever since the third or fourth one I read). People make it sound like having a few members who are chronically ignorant or annoying is a fate too horrible to risk and can't be tolerated under any circumstances. Besides, if nothing else, idiotic posters at least make good catalysts for jokes and comedy.

Personally, I'd be more worried about creating an atmosphere of superiority and elitism where people don't want to post because they might be deemed unworthy.

And for atrocious grammar and spelling, really? Why don't we just start banning people for posting walls of text, or failing to be funny, or having different religious views. Lets get rid of people who make bad arguments, ESLers who don't speak very good english, or if we don't like their avatars or user-titles. We'll give newcomers ten posts to prove themselves and then take a vote on if we want them to stay.

Seriously, sometimes I read this shit and start wondering what things are like over at INTPcentral.
Although to be fair, I did wonder if said member might be an intentional troll, but that's because I'm paranoid and think that about everyone (even regular, ingratiated members). Do as I say, not as I do.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 5:48 AM
-->
I'm fairly sure he lives under a bridge, but new toys for the forum stop it getting stale.

Claverhouse :phear:

[ Not that I've any objection to another banning him; or I may do so, but not until the stars are aligned. ]

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 1:48 AM
-->
There should be a test to sign in, where the computer said something, and the person had to type it. It would keep illiterate people out, as long as they were too lazy to go to a dictionary. But we can use a timer, and then there's no chance of looking up the right words.

It would keep deaf people out the forums too, anyway.:confused:

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 6:48 AM
-->
Maybe we should add a dress code too? Can't have any slobs around.
Isn't this place supposed to be refuge for the awkward? Now we're an exclusive club of well spoken, "like-minded individuals" who are not too lazy to spell properly? Sounds like one boring club.
On a side note, the expression "like-minded individuals" makes me want to puke.
Anyway, the guy doesn't derail other people's threads, unlike some of us here, he is no more offensive then a lot of others here, and he has ideas. They may not be ideas I agree with, but he does spark up at least a bit of a discussion.
So he spells his words differently. So what?
Banning him would be the equivalent of high-school kids outcasting so many of the members of this forum for wearing the wrong clothes.
Blah :mad:

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 1:48 AM
-->
Damn Alisa, now you made me feel bad about myself.

I must change my ways. And you're right, despite not following properly the grammar rules, he has some unorthodoxic point of views, and that's good. I just wished he tried to improve his language a bit, it would be better for everyone, especially himself(herself?). My grammar is not perfect either, but's legible.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Damn Alisa, now you made me feel bad about myself.

I must change my ways. And you're right, despite not following properly the grammar rules, he has some unorthodoxic point of views, and that's good. I just wished he tried to improve his language a bit, it would be better for everyone, especially himself(herself?). My grammar is not perfect either, but's legible.

Yeah, I think his grammar is not that bad when he actually tries to spell and word things properly, but he simply refuses to, which is a statement of a sort in itself. It might be an annoying statement, but again, it's just appearance and it really does remind me of poorly dressed high-school kids, who are still naive enough to think that if you have a message worth communicating, appearances should not matter.
This is, of course, completely wrong, but fortunately, this is not the real world, and it might be nice if we tried to make it a bit more open then the real world is, cause otherwise, we may as well all just go out and talk to real people :eek:

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 12:48 AM
-->
I would be lying if I said I didn't entertain the thought of banning him (for a few seconds at most), but there really is no reason to do so, and besides... why would anyone want to? Just don't read his posts. He or someone else could be gaining something from his posts. why take that away?

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Right, they could be gaining an oft coveted seat on the short bus, why take that away from them?

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Meh. I'm not saying I agree with it.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Today 12:48 PM
-->
I fail to imagine how it is possible to take someone with "Holy shit this makes sens" as a username seriously. I mean, seriously, why so serious?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I fail to imagine how it is possible to take someone with "Holy shit this makes sens" as a username seriously. I mean, seriously, why so serious?

Why so oblivious?....Bad joke I know. :phear:

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 7:48 AM
-->
I do not think he should be banned.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Not sure how I feel about him, I actually had to go to his profile and get a list of his posts.

The majority were immediately forgettable, but there were a few substantial postings in there.

I'm not convinced either way yet on his age or whether he's purposefully fubaring his spelling.
I mean, sometimes he gets some easy words wrong, then he manages to shoot off a complete sentence with correct spelling and grammar with complex words (he spelled "idiotic" right while screwing up easier words).

I'd just say to Ignore him if you've got issues with him, but I guess I also think big-picture in terms of forum. It's morally and sentimentally easy to make a decision that is entirely inclusive and doesn't draw any boundaries whatsoever; but I also think that not having any site standards increases the amount of "noise" -- the indecipherable mess that gunks up coherent communication -- which in turn can eventually drive off those who will contribute (and have been contributing) a lot of content for this site.

(Note that in this context, someone who is entirely articulate and profound can create just as much "noise" if they are constantly derailing threads and speaking in language that most of the membership can't grasp, regardless of their impeccable spelling and vocabulary. It's an extreme outside the norms that conflicts with communication.)

I also see participating in a community as a two-way street; you have to find the meeting ground between the member and the rest of the community. The community doesn't want to cookie-cutter everyone who joins, but at the same time, prospective members have to be willing to integrate into forum culture and care enough to do their part to make communication easier and have their own investments be worthwhile by conforming to some standards.

I guess it depends on how much he starts spamming the forum.
I don't see a need to do anything at the moment.
Give everyone time to adjust and see what sort of impact he has, and then decide.

It's about time!

(even if y'all don't have webcams, I just KNOW you're wearing unwashed t-shirts and crumpled sweats when you post here. I can smell it!)

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 2:48 PM
-->
Has brought a new low in spelling, grammar, and general respect for language. I'm all for language transformation, and I embrace novel uses of old words, changes in constants, and other naturally occurring modifications, but his spelling is atrocious.

I thought I was going to do that when I first came but thankfully a well known desert arrived first. Spelling is nice but you can't ban someone for poor grammar. What if they came from a 'troubled family' without food and propper education. *cue violins* What if they lived on the streets for the first years of there life and survived until they could afford a house and computer. (Fe bursts out of INTPf and everyone starts sobbing) What if they are from Russia or Spain and don't know English very well? Why don't we welcome this poor wretched creature. Welcome him into our home?

Isn't this place supposed to be refuge for the awkward? Now we're an exclusive club of well spoken, "like-minded individuals" who are not too lazy to spell properly? Sounds like one boring club.
On a side note, the expression "like-minded individuals" makes me want to puke.
Anyway, the guy doesn't derail other people's threads, unlike some of us here, he is no more offensive then a lot of others here, and he has ideas. They may not be ideas I agree with, but he does spark up at least a bit of a discussion.
So he spells his words differently. So what?
Banning him would be the equivalent of high-school kids outcasting so many of the members of this forum for wearing the wrong clothes.
Blah :mad:

This is true.... However we could set up a refuge for the really awkward and all the guys who got banned from INTPc (and INTPf) can hang out there.

on a side note ever watch the movie like minds?

When I clicked this link the first thing I saw was an advertisement for the university of Queensland. Had me worried about what you were getting at for a while.

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
Also, if you're going to ban No E
I think RT should consider how he
is being hateful and consider following
the rules he so blatantly quotes and
posts before pointing out that others
do not follow them (:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Also, if you're going to ban No E
I think RT should consider how he
is being hateful and consider following
the rules he so blatantly quotes and
posts before pointing out that others
do not follow them (:

Oh, so is this your schtick?
The short sentence thing?
Is that supposed to make your posts stick out more?

Or are you just related to e e cummings?

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
Oh, so is this your schtick?
The short sentence thing?
Is that supposed to make your posts stick out more?

Or are you just related to e e cummings?

You edited your post.
To ask if I post this way
to make myself stand out.

Why?

Of course it's not to make myself
stick out. If I had wanted that
I probably would have made an
introduction thread (:

I also write emails in this manner
and various other things as well.

It's because I hate reading massive
lines of text. It's less strenuous
on the brain this way and it looks
more attractive. Which is what I
like.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
You edited your post.
To ask if I post this way
to make myself stand out.

Why?

Because I am a top-secret Russian spy who was swapped with one of your citizens at the age of five, living in stealth all of these years, and now my mission has begun and I will destroy you all! Mua ha ha!

Don't read too much into conspiracy theories, Sherlock.

I'm a habitual editor.
I typically post so I don't lose the core of my post,
then think of a few other things I want to say,
or wish I had said better.
So I correct it.

That's all.

Of course it's not to make myself
stick out. If I had wanted that
I probably would have made an
introduction thread (:

I also write emails in this manner
and various other things as well.

You do understand it makes things hard to read,
you slow down my eyes constantly
as I have to stop and drop.
stop and drop.
Stop and drop.

Is it easier for you to write this way?

It's because I hate reading massive
lines of text. It's less strenuous
on the brain this way and it looks
more attractive. Which is what I
like.

Oh. I guess that's your personal preference.

I find it MORE strenuous and less attractive.
(Because it's TOO short, and your line breaks seem forced, not natural.)

See how, when I emulated your shorter paragraphs above,
I placed the line breaks at a natural pause/separation in the flow of the sentence
rather than
just putting them wherever
I
felt like putting
them?

Which is easier to read?

Still...at least it's easier to skip over, if I decide it's not worth the trouble.
...which is kind of the broad topic of this thread.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 2:48 PM
-->
Well I have done some checking up on 'holy'
and I think that he/she is ok.
Apart from the spelling, that is seems to be it.
Other people are more profane and the like.

Not that I have any say.
But I think he is kinda cool.
Without people that are different
nobody will see what they can't see them selves.
As everybody thinks the same.

Like if all your friends are NTs.
There will be no ST's to say look out.
Before you get hit by a truck.
Also if everyone is an SP...
there is nobody to say
don't jump of the cliff with a bed sheet.

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
JennyWocky, why don't you edit your posts BEFORE
you submit them? Go advanced and preview what
you say? I think it might be a little more convenient.

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
Because I am a top-secret Russian spy who was swapped with one of your citizens at the age of five, living in stealth all of these years, and now my mission has begun and I will destroy you all! Mua ha ha!

Don't read too much into conspiracy theories, Sherlock.

I'm a habitual editor.
I typically post so I don't lose the core of my post,
then think of a few other things I want to say,
or wish I had said better.
So I correct it.

That's all.

You do understand it makes things hard to read,
you slow down my eyes constantly
as I have to stop and drop.
stop and drop.
Stop and drop.

Is it easier for you to write this way?

Oh. I guess that's your personal preference.

I find it MORE strenuous and less attractive.
(Because it's TOO short, and your line breaks seem forced, not natural.)

See how, when I emulated your shorter paragraphs above,
I placed the line breaks at a natural pause/separation in the flow of the sentence
rather than
just putting them wherever
I
felt like putting
them?

Which is easier to read?

Still...at least it's easier to skip over, if I decide it's not worth the trouble.
...which is kind of the broad topic of this thread.

You will notice
that I do
not care
where you put your
line
breaks and I
will continue to place
mine
wherever I please

(:

You should pay attention to
grammar rules. When there is
a period that denotes a pause.
Just as a comma does. Basic
grammar rules, you know.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Which is why you consistently break yours lines in the middle of your sentences, where there are no natural pauses?

Thanks for your advice. I was a technical writer for most of my career and now work in the communications division of software requirements, so I think I'll be okay.

Do what you want; that's your choice.
I won't be reading it.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
Thanks for your advice. I was a technical writer for most of my career and now work in the communications division of software requirements, so I think I'll be okay.

I won't be reading it.

Overreaction much?

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
Which is why you consistently break yours lines in the middle of your sentences, where there are no natural pauses?

Dude no, I told you why.

Just ignore me if you hate
my posts, lol.

I won't be reading it.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Overreaction much?

Naw, just for Bird. She's special. :)

More srsly, I don't have a lot of time to waste in pissing matches, I've filled my quota for this month. So... consider it an exercise in pragmatic efficiency rather than a personal vendetta.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:48 PM
-->
Hey, yeah! What, is everything you write a poem?

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
-->
It seems a small number of members find Bird's writing style annoying. Let's ban her! :twisteddevil:

AlisaD said:

AlisaD's link said:
At the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, the quotation is on display, but is altered so that there is no mention of communists, even though communists have been mentioned in every version of the quote given.

That made me laugh (in a bad way). Good old America, where all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 6:48 PM
-->
The bird is the word
she won't go down
after falling around
flustered on the ground
her hidden poems
INTPs rage
but no one bans
chickens? :king-twitter:

Local time
-->
I'm touched that you made a whole thread about me. What is science and philosophy without obscene statements? Theory's are not proven, thats why their called a theory and not a law... Minds so set on ideas that are anything but boundaries of relative and realistic thought. I go against saying that everything is a pattern and so on, and people are so offended they want to ban me? My spelling too!? Is that an actually reason? and if it is i will and have been making an effort to proof read. Make an effort to being open minded to new ideas and theory's that contradict the main stream perception of are universe.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Why is there an argument about how someone posts on this page? (then again, I suppose that's what the whole thread is about anyway)

But I rather like the way Bird posts. It is interesting and unique, and makes reading her posts fascinating and mystical. There is power in the way one presents his information.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm touched that you made a whole thread about me. What is science and philosophy without obscene statements? Theory's are not proven, thats why their called a theory and not a law... Minds so set on ideas that are anything but boundaries of relative and realistic thought. I go against saying that everything is a pattern and so on, and people are so offended they want to ban me? My spelling too!? Is that an actually reason? and if it is i will and have been making an effort to proof read. Make an effort to being open minded to new ideas and theory's that contradict the main stream perception of are universe.
Wow... Okay, a theory is the highest form of scientific understanding. it explains laws. A law is simply something which is always true, as per observation.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Really, I do hate it when people get the scientific and colloquial definitions of 'law' mixed up.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
His posts are obscene and vulgar

Obscenity and vulgarity are highly subjective, even when attempts are made to clearly define their parameters. If mere grammatical imperfection is now definable as obscene, it follows that using it in any means as a form of expression now makes one a violator. "Fuck" is not a crime, it's a word.

I sincerely do not give a rat's ass about Holy shit this makes sens' alleged age. This is another non-issue abstraction constructed upon some presumptive-beyond-refute notion that adults require protection from childhood intellect.

If he's 13, that means he's here, asking reasonable questions and expressing reasonable ideas instead of engaging in sensual masturbation with his X-box. Where should we expect him to go when everyone he knows in real life is doing that?

Those who possess exceptional intelligence will circumvent all obstacles to pass it on to others. Those who merely profess exceptional intelligence will find the most ridiculous excuses to withhold it.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Im 16 by the way, and have a right from age discrimination. digression.
Eff that. I'll discriminate all i want. It's not like I'm hiring you for a job or something. And if I were, there are age laws which some may consider ageism, yet are still law.

You're a young, pseudo-intellectual dick.

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
Eff that. I'll discriminate all i want. It's not like I'm hiring you for a job or something. And if I were, there are age laws which some may consider ageism, yet are still law.

You're a young, pseudo-intellectual dick.

Is dick italicized for emphasis or because
it is to be read with an accent?

Local time
-->
Wow... Okay, a theory is the highest form of scientific understanding. it explains laws. A law is simply something which is always true, as per observation.

HA a theory isn't an understanding or an explanation, its a guess, its an opinion almost. I could say the universe was made by ducks that had 22 legs and ruled galaxy's before the big bang. And no one could prove me wrong.

I could call that a theory of 22 legged ducks.

Some theory's are more reasonable then others, but saying one theory is impossible because it conflicts with another is not right.

Theory's are our guess of how something works or why it exists. If they were 100% proven they would be called laws..

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Oh just lay off the kid, will you?
Space - you're just a plain dick, he is at least young and pseudo-intellectual.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have noticed that
the "line break" on the bottom
of bird's
up a quarter inch and
now
you can't see what
you could see before.

apparently some
line breaks are
more important
than

others.

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
I have noticed that
the "line break" on the bottom
of bird's
up a quarter inch and
now
you can't see what
you could see before.

apparently some
line breaks are
more important
than

others.

I think everyone noticed that before me.
I am glad someone had the decency to
mention it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom