• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Future and things.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Yesterday 8:23 PM
-->
So I guess it's apparently getting close to the time where people my age are supposed to have a plan and whatnot. It seems like I have plenty of time, though. I feel like I have a year ahead of me to worry about this stuff. But still there are people in my class who have taken the SAT multiple times and are registered for the ACT and SAT subject tests whereas I've signed up to take the SAT and ACT in June. People keep asking me where I want to go to college or what I want to do and I never really have anything to say. I want to stay in California (not sure why) and I want to stay near the beach (still not sure why) but I know I don't want to stay here so I'll probably end up applying to UCSB or UCSD or UCSC or something. As to what I want to do - fuck it - I haven't got a clue. I've wanted to go into some sort of animation/video game production thing, mechanical engineering, physics, computer science, and right now I'm tentatively planning to double major with Mathematics and Philosophy. I don't find the idea of a "career" very appealing and as of now I'm expecting to just stay in college for, like, I dunno, forever.

People get way too worked up over this stuff. Like the other day, my English teacher had a "talking to" with me after I didn't turn in another assignment. It was the usual, "You're too smart for this grade and your full potential isn't being recognized." Bullshit. My "potential" sure isn't going to be recognized with me going off to find the easiest career for me to curl up and die in. What the hell does "potential" even mean anyway? The whole school system seems like it was created by people with backwards priorities. And don't even get me started on how grades don't even show actual intelligence.

So. Do any of you folks have experience in the college worlds of either Math or Philosophy? And if so, do you have anything to say on either one?

On a totally unrelated note: I think I'm going to start a hobby where I just find a random article on wikipedia that doesn't have as much information as it should and fill it out.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 9:23 PM
-->
Become self-sufficient. Abandon civilization.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
-->
Would that I could but I've become hopelessly dependent on things that civilization provides such as internet, electricity, heating, running water, etc.

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
Apply to all the UCs(?). UCSC and UCI have a major for game design.

Pretty sure the girls are cuter at UCSC, though.

And when people bug you about the future.

Tell them you can't predict the future.

You can only predict your own future.

And if that doesn't work. Raise your hand up to their face and raise your middle finger.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:23 PM
-->
So I guess it's apparently getting close to the time where people my age are supposed to have a plan and whatnot.
It's okay that you don't fit the mold.
As to what I want to do - fuck it - I haven't got a clue. I've wanted to go into some sort of animation/video game production thing, mechanical engineering, physics, computer science, and right now I'm tentatively planning to double major with Mathematics and Philosophy. I don't find the idea of a "career" very appealing and as of now I'm expecting to just stay in college for, like, I dunno, forever.
Don't put the cart before the horse. Remember, you're the one who's going to be taking the classes, paying for them, etc. Take what you want. Learn what you want. Take your time.
People get way too worked up over this stuff. ... And don't even get me started on how grades don't even show actual intelligence.
Of course they don't. But that's not the point. School isn't a measure of intelligence.
So. Do any of you folks have experience in the college worlds of either Math or Philosophy? And if so, do you have anything to say on either one?
I teach philosophy at a large university in the midwest. Also, I have a minor in math and have been a math tutor for 20+ years. They're both great fields.
On a totally unrelated note: I think I'm going to start a hobby where I just find a random article on wikipedia that doesn't have as much information as it should and fill it out.
I don't have the time or patience for that. But, if it works for you, do it.

Dave

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 4:23 AM
-->
This is a generalization but grades are useful because you get to go to "better" schools with "better" students and "better" teachers, and therefore, "better" learning. I don't recommend philosophy. It's pretty much an already "conquered field." Nothing to explore except subjectivity.

~~~

Local time
-->
Philosophy is interesting but the real world doesn't really appreciate it. I treat it like a hobby. Maths is useful.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Screw society and what it wants, I'm taking philosophy next year because it's bloody interesting!!!!:p

Just make sure it's something you can see yourself maintaining an interest in over a long period of time, because you'll study it for a while.

Also, remember you have time to change your mind and your ourse if you figure it's not for you, no learning is ever a waste of time I think...

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
Yesterday 10:23 PM
-->
I took a single Intro to Philosophy class in college. I have but one piece of advice:

Try not to facepalm too hard at your classmates. You could get a concussion.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:23 PM
-->
I dropped my philosophy class after the first day the students got into a heated argument about "defining wrong." It was just too painful and mind numbing to sit there. Perhaps your philosophy classes could be more intriguing.

I like (am biased toward) math, physics, astronomy, engineering in general. I plan on taking classes in music and programming while I'm at it. I have also stopped working in my retail/sales job and taken up selling my art work lol. I'm not sure why I didnt think of this before. I make better money weirdly enough.

You will go far cheesypuffs, even if others dont think you will. F them..

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
Fuck College. Become a Pokemon trainer.

Local time
-->
*animation/video game production
*mechanical engineering
*physics
*computer science
*Mathematics
*Philosophy

There's a way you could combine all of the above, assuming that Philosophy simply applies to everything. I recommend that you consider a major in Statistics, possibly minor in Philosophy (<-at most) using as many of those courses to meet your gen ed requirements, and go to grad school for a program in Applied Statistics. I also recommend taking a GIS course or two. You'll start seeing connections left and right, I promise.

The world is wholly in need of statisticians who can model complex processes, especially nested counterintuitive ones and the effects that various activities have on said processes.

While you're on the wiki-kick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_theory

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
Yesterday 10:23 PM
-->

I'm a philosophy major, although I've only taken a few courses so far. For the most part, philosophy's a lot more cerebral than most other majors. And surely, if you really do enjoy philosophy, you probably won't feel like you've curled up and died after learning it. For me, ethics and logic have really stimulated my mind intellectually, and one's perception of the world can really change as a result. With logic, making sense of sometimes complex information is a bit more manageable. With ethics, ethical dilemmas (in any area of society) become analyzable, at least to some extent. But again, these are only a handful of classes; I've yet to take more (this upcoming year).

As for math, I have no idea, but I would guess it's also mentally stimulating for those who enjoy it (not to mention incredibly more useful than philosophy, as you can actually use mathematical skills in a number of fields at some point in the future).

For the most part, if you don't enjoy the idea of slipping like a mindless automaton into some 9 - 5 job somewhere, that leaves your mind incredibly empty and unused (which as an INTP, I personally thoroughly understand), then fuck it: just go into math, philosophy, or any other cerebral discipline and enjoy your studies at the very least. At best, you'll earn a career; at worst, you'll still be able to get a commoner's job and have the satisfaction of knowing you learned something most other people can't even begin to grasp -- not to mention the fact that a lot of this mental play leads to a load of critical thinking skills that make the students of such disciplines very clear, effective thinkers. And when it comes to "potential," at least in my opinion, most INTPs probably want to pick up some actual thinking skills rather than just sit around somewhere pushing buttons like a drone.

Anyway, I felt like you when I was in high school, and I still do. Everyone else was in such a hurry to "start life." They had their plans set, they knew what to do, they had no problem doing it. They all took their SATs, got letters of recommendation, applied for scholarships and whatnot, and applied to numerous universities and took off. Chances are they have typical jobs somewhere working 9 - 5, making a little more money than others. But to me, they're just social drones who followed a mold in life that requires no thinking -- just a lowly follower's mentality.

Now that I'm in college finally, I still feel as though everyone else takes things too seriously. They want the most practical degree there is; they want the easiest way to make money without a lot of effort (nursing school). They want some stupid little American dream bullshit at the expense of others, due to the competitive nature of our bullshit "me, me, me" society. To me, they're just sheep following the herd, doing what they're told like obedient workers.

But ah well, the system is broken and the people are simpletons; just get some education, use your brain how you want to use it, and do what you have to when the time comes. None of the bullshit our society claims to be good for us is actually worth the effort; it's all a bullshit scam.

Dread your future life of work; but enjoy your academic future.

Screw society and what it wants, I'm taking philosophy next year because it's bloody interesting!!!!:p

I've loved philosophy since the age of 10, enjoyed reading Descartes at about 14 or 16, eat and sleep philosophy, and would love to teach it for a living.

So for me, it's not that philosophy is interesting (although it clearly is) -- it's that it's my highest interest in life. So yeah, screw society if philosophy seems dead, explored, impractical, and unappreciated by simpletons, philistines, and other sensor types with no brains. If I want to learn it, I'll learn it.

The broadening of one's personal educational and mental horizons is what really matters in life, to those of us who enjoy the life of the mind. Making a living is a damn joke, and for me, that comes second. I'd rather learn everything in the world I find worth the time to learn and have a crap job than sacrifice my intellectual endeavors for some idealistic, practical job, when the richest 1% of the country own a majority of all the resources and wealth. Practical life is a narrow-minded sham.

Top Bottom