• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Forum Modding Feedback

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
1: We postpone discussion on censorship until more issues arise. For half a year, this has not been a problem. A discussion might not be necessary.
Marbles, what's the site's policy regarding Nazis?

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
1: We postpone discussion on censorship until more issues arise. For half a year, this has not been a problem. A discussion might not be necessary.
Marbles, what's the site's policy regarding Nazis?
I'm not sure, but we do present them with the Iron Cross :P Perhaps a discussion on censorship is in order, but I can't really weigh in, since I don't know of any censorship that has happened since I became a member. I believe Kormak had a post deleted, but I do not know what post that was, or even in in what thread it was posted. The staff hasn't commented on that, I believe.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
What if, when a ban or other punishment needs to take place, the ban is still put in place, but a thread is made specifically so that the mod can explain WHY the ban happened?

Then other posters can see the reason for the ban. If it's reasonable, then the entire community will support it.

It surely works in the sense you can justify your actions over a period of time instead of a sudden ban. If someone asks you can explain that it was consistently mentioned to the person in question.
Sounds good in theory. Never worked in practice. Being able to explain something, even with all the evidence in the world, does not guarantee they will accept it. Some people are just incapable of reasoning or compromising, some are plainly unwilling. Some care little or not at all about the community and do have agendas to just troll for their personal amusement, to recruit people to cults, to hack the forum, etc, etc. As extensively documented in the forum archives which are open for all to peruse.

Can't believe we wasted our time on these subjects over christmas holidays. Madness.
Imagine doing that every single time there's a minor disagreement, with a community 10x the current size. And not being able to get away because people will tag you, PM you, and drag the discussion into other unrelated threads, channels, websites.

This is not a theoretical refutation of the idea, but rather one borne of experience. We (that is the modmins) believed, as you believe, that it could work, that it would be nice to be more open and democratic, that perhaps things would turn out better that way. We decided to try it even going against the longstanding opinion of the forum founders who had seriously discouraged us from the idea. Reality proved us wrong.

Historically the end result of systematic open discussion of every moderation decision has lead to forum factioning, argumentative people going unhinged, 30-page threads and 40-hour-waste-my-whole-weekend sessions, a generalized multiplication of hostile behaviour, members leaving in droves because drama leaking into every thread, moderators burning out, etc. Nobody has time for that.

If most mods seem unwilling to discuss this it is not due to a lack of respect of new members suggestions, it is because it's been discussed to death in the past. Last year, and the year before that, and five years before that. Been there, tried that, didn't work.

A democratically run forum is akin to a perpetual motion machine. Some people really want to believe in it (it sounds fantastic after all), even when they're told and the evidence corroborates that reality just doesn't work like that. I'm sure I speak for all mods when I say that the concept of trying this yet another time and that somehow its going to be different than the previous time is indeed tantamount to madness.

Disagreements and drama are ultimately unavoidable, regardless of how bureaucratic, democratic, or whatever -atic the rules and mechanisms of moderation are. Having understood that fact, we choose not to waste time and prefer to keeps things simpler.

(If this was not being brought up by a group of new users, I wouldn't even bother typing it out again)

I would appreciate a comment from the staff on whether Kormak's connection was manipulated, whether posts of his were deleted, and if the spam filter was used to censor him. I did not read Kormak's posts, so I do not have an opinion on whether this punishment was in order, but I do think any punishment should be dealt openly.
For like the 5th time: Not to my knowledge, not to my knowledge, not to my knowledge.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
I would appreciate a comment from the staff on whether Kormak's connection was manipulated, whether posts of his were deleted, and if the spam filter was used to censor him. I did not read Kormak's posts, so I do not have an opinion on whether this punishment was in order, but I do think any punishment should be dealt openly.
For like the 5th time: Not to my knowledge, not to my knowledge, not to my knowledge.
Where has this been commented on four times? We chatted briefly on discord, and I understood that you hadn't been personally involved. Have you had a discussion with the rest of the staff, though?

Seems very reasonable to ask that you actually have a staff discussion and investigate whether any of the things mentioned, happened.

If a user was ddos'ed, his post(s) were deleted (without the deletion being admited to) and he was manually censored by a mod with the spam filter, that is serious. It is not a matter of the community being difficult.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:03 PM
-->
yes, the staff do discuss things that happen

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Last actual ban I'm aware of was a supposed POC, Pizzabeak, and that dude was a genius, idiot, or troll, no one was willing to defend, so I think none of this is really all that relevant atm.
Pizzabeak, really? What happend? I loved that dude. Too many mushrooms? I tried searching. But couldn't find anything.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:03 PM
-->
Last actual ban I'm aware of was a supposed POC, Pizzabeak, and that dude was a genius, idiot, or troll, no one was willing to defend, so I think none of this is really all that relevant atm.
Pizzabeak, really? What happend? I loved that dude. Too many mushrooms? I tried searching. But couldn't find anything.
Im not a mod and this is just a guess, but I’d say it had something to do with his incoherent posts...

Rule 1 (don’t be a nuisance)
Clarified in 2nd post with “Largely incoherent posts of excessive length” cited as nuisance behaviour

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Today 2:03 AM
-->

BTW, I think he was all three to be frank.

Top Bottom