• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Editing Posts after a day or two

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
Today 7:02 AM
-->
Is this just a feature of the forums that can't be programmed in?
I know I've made a lot of stupid posts or whatever, that would be good to edit or delete. I guess I'd understand the point of locking them in place to prevent future confusion, but INTPs change and perfect decisions a lot...yeah

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 12:02 AM
-->
Now and again I wish I could edit some past posts, either out of evolved perspectives or unseen mistakes. This place kind of conditions you to make sure the post is good before you submit/24 hrs or learn to care less.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 8:02 AM
-->
I agree with what has been said above.

Peeps999

Local time
Today 3:02 AM
-->
Hmm if we get this I can change my posts to make others look crazy, perfect.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 7:02 AM
-->
I don't know... I'm quite fond of seeing my footprints, whether they be fugly or beaut.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Is this just a feature of the forums that can't be programmed in?
I know I've made a lot of stupid posts or whatever, that would be good to edit or delete. I guess I'd understand the point of locking them in place to prevent future confusion, but INTPs change and perfect decisions a lot...yeah
Nothing wrong with a less than perfect post. Put in a revision below and it will correct it AND show history and progress.

tepellian

Local time
Today 1:02 AM
-->
Now and again I wish I could edit some past posts, either out of evolved perspectives or unseen mistakes. This place kind of conditions you to make sure the post is good before you submit/24 hrs or learn to care less.

I've been somewhat conditioned in this direction by experiences in the past. If I'm really unsure, the webpage stays open, or maybe I even cut-paste into a notepad for perusal until I'm satisfied. Funniest thing is when I go back later, and the entire discussion has evolved in my absence, once or twice so much so that there's no longer room for my thought.

Then it's like a different version of what happens to me when I try to participate in conversations outside of the internet. Rather ironic. Haven't noticed it happening to me here, though, thankfully...not that I've participated in enough discussions to be able to tell.

To add in my two cents, I'd be quite in favor of this idea.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Today 12:02 AM
-->
At least its better than many other forum-like software packages where comments/posts can not be edited (usually to prevent confusion and trolling). If you REALLY NEED something removed, then you can ask an admin. However, in order to preserve the sense of discussion and conversation here the rule itself will likely not change.

That being said, it sounds like you're similar to myself in the sense that I've destroyed most of the schoolwork I've done because I've moved past it and find their existence embarrassing. Sometimes I wish I still had some of those works (not often). Think of it as a way of training yourself not to seek perfection over progress.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
That being said, it sounds like you're similar to myself in the sense that I've destroyed most of the schoolwork I've done because I've moved past it and find their existence embarrassing. Sometimes I wish I still had some of those works (not often). Think of it as a way of training yourself not to seek perfection over progress.
I feel the same way. I was careless with my school notes and now they 're gone. I would like to see what I wrote then. Some I still have. I have to suppress embarrassment and realize that was a different person. I don't know how to explain this but I am both the past person and the present one. So I didn't do it right! So what? I still don't do it right. I'm glad I'm not quite so bad now. Maybe past lessons teach future ones.

Top Bottom