• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Dragon Age Origins

Yodon

Local time
Today 9:28 AM
-->
I just recently got recomended this game by a friend and OMG its amazing IMO what do u guys think, thoughts, crits , other recomendations etc

nickgray

Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
Being an Infinity Engine veteran DA sure does interest me, but... meh, I don't really play games anymore :) Besides, I doubt that DA has the complexity of BG2, let alone P:T, and the only RPG that might interest me is the one with such (or even more) complexity.

Sirian

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
I have the game but i can't seem to get into it.
What i don't like : the characters, the story, the random chest loots, the fact that you can only bring 3 characters with you (i'd rather either take them all or go alone). Also, the fact that items such as weapons and armor are quite rare, and it's often hard to tell what is the result of the different dialog options, making me reload at least 4-5 times the same dialog to be certain i didnt missed anything. Also, some characters will disagree with your choices, making them annoying, and crossing a bridge or passing certain invisible checkpoints will trigger small talk between your characters, i guess it makes them more alive, but it's also annoying because most of the time it makes me stop to listen to them, but what they're saying is not interesting.

Well, that being said, i didnt played for too long, i only completed the circle of magi and redcliffe in 2 different saves.

It certainly isn't a bad game, but so far i can't compare it to baldur's gate or any good rpg.

There is also something disturbing : the game as you buy it is not complete, and you have to pay an additionnal fee for downloading some high-reward quests and new stuff to buy from shops, as well as items given automatically to your new characters. I find it completely game-breaking to start my carrer as a mage with a set of items and armor i'm not even able to use, like a chest of blood dragon armor, or a helm that looks ridiculous on a mage but has no penalty for mages and better stats than any mage hat. Speaking of which, some mage hats seem to be designed for girls and looks ridiculous on my male caster.

What else... ah yes, the camp. It felt quite artificial, unlike the Normandy in Mass Effect, this camp is not introduced and seem to pop in existence exactly similar wherever you go, with all these characters and tents and stuff...

Well, i should stop criticizing, actually i'm planning to complete the game and i will probably enjoy it, but there's been so much games in so little time lately...

PS : nickgray> agreed, so far nothing beats Planescape torment, the Baldu'rs Gate series and Fallout 1/2. Mass effect suceeded at depicting a moderately original science fiction universe, and it made it a better game than the KOTORs to my eyes, but it's an action/rpg...

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 5:58 AM
-->
I got it on Friday, and I think it's a pretty fun game; I do, however, think that Bioware's story-writing team has gotten quite complacent - really, every single one of their games after KOTOR follows the exact same plot: 'beginning' mission, get plot upgrade (in form of ascendancy to elite group), elite group tasks you with going to X number of different planets/locations to find something, once done, go finish game. Even the characters have far too many similarities for it to be comfortable (did anyone else think that Alistair is essentially Carth, and Morrigan is just a bit too much like Bastila?) The combat is pretty fun though, as is the character leveling (Arcane Warrior ftw)...and I think that the characters bantering and snapping at each other makes running around places pretty amusing. All in all, I'd say it's a good game (oddly enough, though, I was never able to really get into Planescape or Baldur's Gate - I got headaches from the graphics...)

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
Today 1:28 AM
-->
Being an Infinity Engine veteran DA sure does interest me, but... meh, I don't really play games anymore :) Besides, I doubt that DA has the complexity of BG2, let alone P:T, and the only RPG that might interest me is the one with such (or even more) complexity.

I think I played P:T a long time ago, if it's what I'm thinking of, I loved it, but my stepdad(who owned it) said it was stupid and got rid of it within a week, I sadly didn't get very far, and knowing now that it really was just as awesome as I had thought back then now makes me sad :(

I think that the characters bantering and snapping at each other makes running around places pretty amusing. All in all, I'd say it's a good game (oddly enough, though, I was never able to really get into Planescape or Baldur's Gate - I got headaches from the graphics...)

I do not own it yet, but on the subject of NPC's talking, the only problem I ever had is that they never said anything interesting or worth listening to. If someone actually took the time to develop an actual person to talk to(not necessarily AI, but at least complex conversation loops), where you might actually gain a new way of looking at something out of talking to them, that you may(or may not) be able to apply to things outside the dry plotline of whatever game your playing.

Sometimes I think the developers are too scared to attach real ideas to their games in fear of offending some people, and in that case put some stupid disclaimer about how the ideas/content of characters in the game do not reflect the ideas/content of developer "x"

gepcy loc

♪♪♪♈Mondayz, time for Alchemy♈♪♪♪
Local time
Today 3:28 AM
-->
The Sten of the Qunary does NOT approve of your actions!!!!
.................. But if you give the Sten a Cookie he just might be nice to you.

Love this game its so funny and the ester eggs in the game are fun to find. I love playing a Dalish rouge assassin. I love Alister.... with a little Zevran on the side... lolz.... I think its cool that you can actually develop relationships with the characters, didn't even know this till Alister started flirting with my character and i looked it up.

You can play the game in so many different ways to. I'v never tried playing on the darkspawn's side yet, I know there's a way to do it though and i think yo have to do it alone.....something to try latter I guise.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
The daughter of the Witch of the Wilds is inconsistent and irrational and yet claims to only follow logic--its what angers me.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
I know! The Sten is way more logical than she is. Hes the only one who new he was dreaming in the fade. I wonder if Sten would be considered an INTP? He dose have his own warped since of humor some times.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:28 AM
-->
I know! The Sten is way more logical than she is. Hes the only one who new he was dreaming in the fade. I wonder if Sten would be considered an INTP? He dose have his own warped since of humor some times.
ugh.

Not an INTP.
INTPs tend to internalize the action.
Everything happens INSIDE.

(Far more likely for a blood mage to be INTP.)

Sten is really upset if you do not take active steps to pursue the goal and will even leave the party if you're too slow for him. He is not contemplative. He is not a theorist either. I would see him as a tactician.

I hooked up with Alistair on my first playthru... he's such a silly goofy boy. :)

The daughter of the Witch of the Wilds is inconsistent and irrational and yet claims to only follow logic--its what angers me.

How so?

She seemed immeasurably consistent to me, at least, in her behavior and choices and comments. Predictable, even.

PS. her name is Morrigan.

I think the in-game banter is awesome. Put different NPCs together in your party and they like to bicker/dicker with each other. Some of the commentary is hilarious.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
IDK. The Sten is very introverted though and if you pay attention to what he likes and does not like you'll see theres a lot more to him than what he acts like. Hinting that he dose internalize a lot. The gifts he prefers are Paintings , and if you have Leliana in the party at the same time as him she'll catch him picking flowers and laughs at him and calls him "a big softy". And the creators talk about who the place where he came from works like a medieval Borg. Its easy getting on his good side if you joke around with and/or stand up to him.

13lack_Light

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The best is, as a mage, rounding up a bunch of enemies into a group, cast Virulent Walking Bomb on one, freeze it with Cone of Cold, shatter it with Stone Fist, which results in instant-death, which then results in the bomb exploding, spreading to other nearby monsters of the group, who then also explode. By the second explosion, it's all over.

:D

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
How so?

She seemed immeasurably consistent to me, at least, in her behavior and choices and comments. Predictable, even.

PS. her name is Morrigan.
Morrigan(INTP?). Well... consistent with her behavior yes. But not with her beliefs(I think). She tries to conflict morals and efficiency...but I don't think they necessarily do. She gives advices usually on favor of the "evil" side and explains with it being more advantageous/efficient. There are many situations where I followed her advice but things got worse for me.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
I lied, the Sten is an ISTJ......but he's still awesome.

@13lack_Light: must try the gore bomb.....NOW!!!!!

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Oh the witty repartee. It was nice (as an avid watcher of video games :D) to have some nice banter between the NPCs. I named my Zune after Alistair. I liked having the option of different backgrounds that were more than just basic development of your character's strengths.

It was fun. Also, it was a good way to waste some time until Mass Effect 2 came out!

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Oh the witty repartee. It was nice (as an avid watcher of video games :D) to have some nice banter between the NPCs. I named my Zune after Alistair. I liked having the option of different backgrounds that were more than just basic development of your character's strengths.

Yeah, all that was great... Morrigan was nicely sardonic, Lorelei so passionate, Sten so flat and unaffected and harsh, Alistair such a cheery whiner. I loved putting different ones in my group and listening to them talk to each other. (there's a mod to increase frequency of NPC dialogue.)

And good histories too... and decent visual char customizer. Also lots of branches in the gameplay.

Architectonic

Local time
Today 5:58 PM
-->

Sounds like some INTPs I know. :p

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
I lied, the Sten is an ISTJ......but he's still awesome.

@13lack_Light: must try the gore bomb.....NOW!!!!!

I thought ISTJ at first too, but I think Se would be MUCH more beneficial to a warrior, although Si would have it's place for learning from experience, Ne for understanding the enemy. Also, Se might be more inclined to appreciate a painting, although there are many different interpretations of appreciation for a painting.

I vote ISTP or ISFP. Also note the connection he has with the hellhound, very stereotypical of ISFP.

Morrigan seemed MUCH more governed by Ni than Ne, she really didn't seem to observe many perspectives other than her own, it was more about fitting everything in the world 'into' her own perspective.

I really liked the game at first, once I figured out the mechanics it got boring pretty quickly for me. The story didn't really pull me along, most stories don't.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I thought ISTJ at first too, but I think Se would be MUCH more beneficial to a warrior, although Si would have it's place for learning from experience, Ne for understanding the enemy. Also, Se might be more inclined to appreciate a painting, although there are many different interpretations of appreciation for a painting.

I vote ISTP or ISFP. Also note the connection he has with the hellhound, very stereotypical of ISFP.

Morrigan seemed MUCH more governed by Ni than Ne, she really didn't seem to observe many perspectives other than her own, it was more about fitting everything in the world 'into' her own perspective.

I really liked the game at first, once I figured out the mechanics it got boring pretty quickly for me. The story didn't really pull me along, most stories don't.

I think Sten uses Si then Te. Si + Te because when I try to talk to the guy, its as if he "orders" (Te) me to not talk to him. Si because he seems pretty conservative with his Kunari Clan and his pride.

But I do agree that Se is the most suitable for fighting--greater attention at the situation.

For Morrigan, I viewed her functions as Ti and Ne. She only gave advices and criticisms(Ti) and never had that "pushing order"(Te) feel compared to Sten.

From her conversations with the priest girl(i forgot her name), I saw a lot of "correctional need" from her. She criticizes and enjoys sarcasm but doesn't force others her beliefs--even though she despises religion(Si). Her Ne is less visible. Though it does seem like she has Ni; she shows her answers first before explaining.

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
I think Sten uses Si then Te. Si + Te because when I try to talk to the guy, its as if he "orders" (Te) me to not talk to him. Si because he seems pretty conservative with his Kunari Clan and his pride.

But I do agree that Se is the most suitable for fighting--greater attention at the situation.

For Morrigan, I viewed her functions as Ti and Ne. She only gave advices and criticisms(Ti) and never had that "pushing order"(Te) feel compared to Sten.

From her conversations with the priest girl(i forgot her name), I saw a lot of "correctional need" from her. She criticizes and enjoys sarcasm but doesn't force others her beliefs--even though she despises religion(Si). Her Ne is less visible. Though it does seem like she has Ni; she shows her answers first before explaining.

Hmm, I was thinking about Sten again, and how he does seem to be more structured than spontaneous.

Any thoughts for Allistar? His and Morrigan's discussions were intriguing, even if I can't remember the topics of any of them.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Hmm, I was thinking about Sten again, and how he does seem to be more structured than spontaneous.

He sticks with his decisions. He's very loyal. He has an understanding about the situation and creates logical (Te) plans. I'm not sure I remember well enough but I think one example was at the castle where he suggested a plan--but my memory might be failing me.

He also has a weak Fi. And he reminds me too much of my strict cousin.

Any thoughts for Allistar? His and Morrigan's discussions were intriguing, even if I can't remember the topics of any of them.

Alistair. :) Seems like a really nice fellow: adamant yet humble and funny. His revenge-issue in the end was a bit disturbing though.

I find typing him a little difficult. I saw Fe (influential jokes) and Fi... but I'm leaning more on Fe.

I'm guessing Se + Ti.

Se for talk about lunch and food(?).

Ti is well...the rarer times he's silent? or his hatred for silence during those childhood days of silence?(Se + Ti)

So: ESTP? Extrovert being the only one I'm sure of.

(Se Ti Fe Ni) seems awfully right though. To me at least.

-----

What's your guess?

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
Today 2:28 AM
-->
This game is like crack to me... I just can't get enough.
It's so damn dynamic and the plot trees are so meaty :storks:

This game, however, is definitely not for those who don't want a true RPG (ie, Mass Effect 2). It's tons of loot, things you'll have to carefully consider when equipping your party (ie, set bonuses, resistances, etc), custom party tactical AI, and a lot (if not most) time will be spent planning rather than in action). If you want an action game, go play an action game, don't seek an RPG.

Also, I can't speak for the console games, but having played the PC game through two times (did all the quests + DLC each time, including companion quests and side quests) there are a hell of a lot of things (that I've read about) that exclusive to the PC (dialogue options, items, quest options, and just a lot more misc stuff). The only way to play this game is really on the PC, imo. Also, in the PC version you can have a foursome. lol

If you're looking for 90+ hours of entertainment and like RPGs, PLAY THIS GAME!

Architectonic

Local time
Today 5:58 PM
-->
I wasn't a big fan of the whole tactics thing I must say. A great idea, but flawed execution. At the end of the game it also feels massively overpowered.

aracaris

Local time
-->
This game is like crack to me... I just can't get enough.
It's so damn dynamic and the plot trees are so meaty :storks:

This game, however, is definitely not for those who don't want a true RPG (ie, Mass Effect 2). It's tons of loot, things you'll have to carefully consider when equipping your party (ie, set bonuses, resistances, etc), custom party tactical AI, and a lot (if not most) time will be spent planning rather than in action). If you want an action game, go play an action game, don't seek an RPG.

Also, I can't speak for the console games, but having played the PC game through two times (did all the quests + DLC each time, including companion quests and side quests) there are a hell of a lot of things (that I've read about) that exclusive to the PC (dialogue options, items, quest options, and just a lot more misc stuff). The only way to play this game is really on the PC, imo. Also, in the PC version you can have a foursome. lol

If you're looking for 90+ hours of entertainment and like RPGs, PLAY THIS GAME!

I agree with your viewpoint on the game. It reminded me a lot of Planescape Torment and the old Fallout games in that it was so dialogue and plot rich.
I have the PS3 version, but have been considering also getting the PC version, now that I have a computer that can more than handle it.

I do really like both action heavy and really RPG heavy games, this one's definitely very RPG heavy, and definitely not for everyone. But an awesome game in my opinion.

The characters were well-developed too, not always necessarily likable, and definitely flawed, but for me this made them more believable, especially in the context of the game world.

Yodon

Local time
-->
Hi all, i just recently moved accross to ubuntu , does any one have a working how to guide to get DAO working on it as all the ones i have seen so far seem a little spoty

Thanks

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
i think you're better off looking in a ubuntu forum than an INTP forum >.>

Yodon

Local time
-->
Your proly right but i was covering all bases, doesnt matter now anyway since i managed to do it all and get it working last night , yey for INTP strenghts hehehe

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
what was wrong with it? bad file pathing?

LeeRain

Redshirt
Local time
-->

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->
True RPG's have tons of loot. Mass Effect 2 was not an RPG, it was a shooter.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
^ under that premise, an RPG cannot be a shooter? I think it deserves its own subgroup akin to action RPGs (Diablo, Demon Souls, etc) Strategic RPGs (FFT, Tactics Ogre), or Strategic third-person-shooter RPG(?) action-strategy RPG(?) (Valkyria Chronicles [yeah i don't even know what to classify it as]) as a RPG-shooter.

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->
^ under that premise, an RPG cannot be a shooter? I think it deserves its own subgroup akin to action RPGs (Diablo, Demon Souls, etc) Strategic RPGs (FFT, Tactics Ogre), or Strategic First-person RPG (Valkyria Chronicles) as a RPG-shooter.
No, Mass Effect 2 just lacks the elements essential to being an RPG. It does not lack the elements required for being a shooter, as that's what it is.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
As taken from rpgfan.com,

"What is a Role Playing Game? Personally, I like to define a Role Playing Game as a game that MUST, ABSOLUTELY have three elements. One is a statistical setup for characters that describe certain skills/aspects of that character. Two, it must have some method of increasing and strengthening those statistics (usually but not necessarily by way of the experience/level system). Three, it must have a menu-driven combat system that utilizes the skills/aspects of the characters. Given there are other elements of RPGs that I'll leave out because of their obvious nature, these are the elements that are required for a game to be labeled RPG." (http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/old/1998/0007.html).

As far as i know Mass Effect 2 meets these 3 requirements amirite? (based purely off speculation as i haven't gotten the chance to play ME2 yet).

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->

"What is a Role Playing Game? Personally, I like to define a Role Playing Game as a game that MUST, ABSOLUTELY have three elements. One is a statistical setup for characters that describe certain skills/aspects of that character. Two, it must have some method of increasing and strengthening those statistics (usually but not necessarily by way of the experience/level system). Three, it must have a menu-driven combat system that utilizes the skills/aspects of the characters. Given there are other elements of RPGs that I'll leave out because of their obvious nature, these are the elements that are required for a game to be labeled RPG." (http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/old/1998/0007.html).

As far as i know Mass Effect 2 meets these 3 requirements amirite? (based purely off speculation as i haven't gotten the chance to play ME2 yet).
It doesn't. If you're basing it off your assumptions of ME1, you're wrong. They are completely different.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
i've never touched a ME game in my life as i don't have an 360 or an original XB.

aracaris

Local time
-->

I disagree with that definition, sure a game can be an RPG if it has those characteristics, but a game could be primarily (or pretty much completely) story, and character development driven, and have no menu driven combat system (even no combat), and still be an RPG. It could even have no method of increasing and strengthening a character's stats and skills, and be an RPG. In fact I'd say a game that's really about story and character development, and about the choices you make in the game is much more of an RPG than something with the qualities that person describes as defining RPGs.

Razare

Local time
-->
I got into that first swamp at the beginning and got bored. I think it was a good game, I just need to work up the ambition to get really into it. I can only handle about one game like this a year.

giaduck

Local time
Today 6:28 PM
-->
I quite like Dragon Age...I found the characters all charming in their own sort of way (even Oghren made me laugh on many occasions). What I liked the most was being about to set tactics and basically direct my troops into battle. It was like stroking the strategist in me and playing to the lover of fantasy, both cheesy and believable types.

The beginning story that I played was deeply immersive (Rogue Female Noble Dwarf) and I seriously felt betrayed when *spoiler* I was stabbed in the back by my scheming brother. I am assuming that the end is near as I am about to go to fight the arch-demon, and I don't want it to end just yet!
All in all, I thoroughly enjoy playing it, and am looking forward to trying out some of the other characters.

Top Bottom