• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Do you guys suffer from depression?

Jon C

The Open-Minded Skeptic
Local time
Today 2:32 PM
-->
In Psychological Types, Jung describes the most difficult challenge introverted thinkers face: preserving the integrity of their mental lives while not becoming too isolated from the outside world. It is easy for INTPs to become bitter and angry when others misunderstand their ideas and personality traits. They may see this misunderstanding as "proof of the abysmal stupidity of man." The INTPs' response may be to become critical, unapproachable, and even overly emotional and touchy, which leads to further isolation from other people and from the world. Jung cautions that while this isolation may seem protective, it has its own dangers. It leaves INTPs vulnerable to attacks from their own unconscious minds. This inner conflict can lead to depression and to a tendency to expend too much energy fighting unimportant battles. However, this outcome is certainly not inevitable. By developing their weaker Sensing and Feeling functions over time and by holding on to the more light-hearted aspects of their personalities, INTPs can more fully experience and express the considerable potentials of their minds.
:borg:
I was reading this and it got me thinking. I personally feel that I have reached a stage in my life where depression is inconceivable. I usually sit back and logically asses situations. By doing this I am usually blissful and often times laugh at depression in the face. I always felt that depression was driven by overemphasized avoidable feelings that are miss-handled on an intrapersonal level. Though I may get temporarily frustrated (like 10 seconds) with humanities inability to perceive the obvious, it has yet to drive me to a state of depression, or even a state of ultimate seclusion from society. I was curious to hear what other INTPs have to say about depression.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 7:32 PM
-->
Oohhhhhh...

Once in a while I do.

Claverhouse :phear:

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I did once, and I may do yet again, however much I promise myself I'll stay away from that place

Artifice Orisit

Been there, done that.

That blasé attitude probably destroyed my credibility, however I attest that this is how I truly feel; having overcome my depression via developing an understanding of it, I currently lack any reason to return to that state, presently the personal cost of doing so outweighs the self-educational potential, this situation is however may be subject to change.

For anyone currently undergoing depression my advice is thus:
Walk the path, don't stop (apathy), don't fall off (suicide), see it through.

Telling someone not to be depressed is incredibly unhelpful.

Jon C

The Open-Minded Skeptic
Local time
-->
We have a bias within our psyche that blinds our feelings from grasping past and future emotions. Love at first sight is a cliche' and a figment of perception. When you "love" somebody, its hard to imagine not loving that person. So when asked to recall your first encounter, you falsely recall love at first sight, attributing present feelings to past interaction. I'm beginning to think this bias works the same with depression. Because I am at a stage in my life where I am blissful and serene, I can not recall a time of depression, nor can I foresee depression in my future. By understanding what drives depression in another INTP, I feel I can prevent myself from traveling that same road. That road which seems to be non-existant in the present state.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
Today 11:32 AM
-->
Because I am at a stage in my life where I am blissful and serene, I can not recall a time of depression, nor can I foresee depression in my future. By understanding what drives depression in another INTP, I feel I can prevent myself from traveling that same road. That road which seems to be non-existant in the present state.
That analogy seems about right.

For prevention of depression I think having a good grasp of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and meditation might help.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:32 PM
-->
I struggled with depression as a teen, but it is hard to say whether it was my personality or drugs/stress as a byproduct of drugs. I know that smoking pot frequently leads to depression, and so it was the most likely culprit out of the mix. I have had super short bouts that ressmble depression (an unhealthy lack of emotion) since then, but I recover quickly (within a few hours or days). The last 10 years have been mostly sober and I have been content amidst of the waves and troughs of a semi-stressful life.

Latro

Local time
-->
...It's complicated. On one hand, I'm down more often than not. (It might not seem like it on here and on IRC, but yeah, I am.) On the other hand, I lack the loss of interest, loss of drive, and general loss of ability to have fun period that is characteristic of depression. Last night was fantastic, for example; I was talking to a couple friends and we were laughing our heads off with really awful innuendo and an old classic 4chan post. But most of the time, I'm kinda down, at least as of late. Maybe it's boredom, maybe it's just a lack of things to do, maybe it's loneliness I really don't know exactly, but most of the time I'm down, and sometimes I'm really down, with little correlation with how well I achieve my day-to-day goals.

I definitely have suffered from outright depression though, primarily in the second half of 2007.

Ombat

but for all I aspire I am really a liar
Local time
-->
It makes sense that INTP's would have this problem, as well as problems with other personality disorders.

I've had a few 3+ week long bouts of depression, but it actually stems from a disability, although if I weren't an INTP I may be able to handle my situation better. Or am I an INTP because of it? That's another topic altogether.

Jon C said:
We have a bias within our psyche that blinds our feelings from grasping past and future emotions

I have been fine for a while, but I never stop believing that I can enter that stage again, so although I do agree with you, either it is possible or I'm still struggling. It's probably the latter.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I don't know if it's depression, but I have trouble seeing motivation through to action. I just get stuck in fantasy. For me personally though, I think this is a product of environment more than anything else.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
I've found that most of the online descriptions of MBTI types are a little exaggerated.

Out of all the types, INTP probably find themselves the most likely to be boggled down by emotions.

INFPs would be my second guess on the sadness scale. But F types have better ways of compensating with emotions. F types usually have close knit friends and families they depend on and can use for their emotional support (because F types are likely to make something personal and seek friends to help them out of it) or they become imaginative and use escapisms (as do all people [I think it's ISTPs that are famous for violent video game escapism?]).

Even if an INTP takes something personal, it probably won't help to have people reassure them. I have to think through my emotions and even experience sadness. Eventually, I either decide it's dealt with or it wears off as I forget about it. It's hard to know what to do with feelings of sadness.

Typically I've seen NJ types get frustrated and annoyed rather than disappointed or sad.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I've gone in and out of depression, most seriously in the early 90s but I believe it was more chemical than circumstances though it played a role too. When I looked back at my thoughts during those times, they seemed rather ridiculous. So now I try to recognise this in me and compensate for it logically by telling myself this isn't a big deal. It works in terms of limiting the negative experience (that foreboding sense of doom in the gut) to a few hours rather than day or weeks.

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 5:32 AM
-->
We have a bias within our psyche that blinds our feelings from grasping past and future emotions. Love at first sight is a cliche' and a figment of perception. When you "love" somebody, its hard to imagine not loving that person. So when asked to recall your first encounter, you falsely recall love at first sight, attributing present feelings to past interaction. I'm beginning to think this bias works the same with depression. Because I am at a stage in my life where I am blissful and serene, I can not recall a time of depression, nor can I foresee depression in my future. By understanding what drives depression in another INTP, I feel I can prevent myself from traveling that same road. That road which seems to be non-existant in the present state.

That's interesting. When I'm not depressed, I look back at my depressive periods and think "they made me stronger, I'm glad I went through it". It is, exactly as you say, an attribution of my present feelings (happiness) to past situations, even though they are the complete opposite (depression). So paradoxically, I seem to find happiness in my depression, although it's really just my moods playing tricks perhaps...

I don't trust anyone who says they've come out of it or learnt how to deal with depression to the extent that they're in control of it. I think they are either overestimating how much control their conscious mind has over their body/unconscious, or they haven't had it as bad as I have. As for low moods (or even oddly high ones as I am sometimes prone too), I've learnt that the only way to deal with them is just to tough it out and wait for them to pass*. Which isn't really dealing with it at all, but it's better than kicking and screaming which just makes it worse. I'm not sure what happened to me - I think I climbed out of the worst part of my depression through increasing my adrenaline levels, which in turn produced anxiety down the track. So I just traded one disorder for another, but really it's the same disease.

* assuming the must-do things like exercise, healthy diet and sleep, etc have been taken care of.

Jon C

The Open-Minded Skeptic
Local time
-->
interesting...

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
i think the reason everyone is getting depressed is because the forum colors are so black. make them colorful for godsakes. and im not racist, im talking about the color black.

Artifice Orisit

i think the reason everyone is getting depressed is because the forum colors are so black. make them colorful for godsakes. and im not racist, im talking about the color black.
Smooth, I love how you lampshaded racism that wasn't actually there.
Way to go Subtext-Man! :p

*hugs Jon C* Thank you.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->

Go to the drop-down at the left base of the page, above the little flags: choose either Woodland or Default [ vBulletin-default ].

The prospect of our ever moving away from black is not something to put money on.

Claverhouse :phear:

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
thats the problem. if i changed the colors it would only fix the depression for me, noone else on this forum would get to reap the wonderful benefits :smiley_emoticons_mr

Artifice Orisit

...well that was a let down.

Where's the rant about not deconstructing you to be a racist?

Thebhr

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've had severe depression and anxiety for about 7 years. I don't want to go into a long rant about how it came about, but I've recently been doing quite well after listening to Matthieu Ricard speak at TED. If you're having problems with depression, I would reccomend watching that speech. You can find it on TED's website.

VwllssWndr

Redshirt
Local time
-->
"Depression" is very aptly named: it's suppression of emotion. I've been clinically depressive for fourteen years (at least officially), and it's only been recently that I made that connection. One of the really telling symptoms from personal experience is that I start to lose control over my emotions as I'm starting into another episode. It's popular belief that it's a lot of despair and melancholy or what-have-you, but I tend to be more irritable and pissy as a general rule.

I think this is very insightful and well-expressed. I have a friend who has noticed that I have a "memory hole" that shows itself when I'm feeling down. Under normal circumstances, I can remember most of our discussions with a great deal of clarity; however, once I get into a funk, I can't remember having felt better or even more positive things I've said. Even more embarrassing, I'll play out the same conversations time and time again, saying the exact same things, and having absolutely no recollection of the conversation from any of the times we've had it. I wouldn't believe it myself if it weren't via online chats, where I can read my own transcripts and see that I've done it yet again. Part of my brain completely shuts off, and I can't recall any of it. It's about the only stuff that I can't remember.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->
:borg:
I was reading this and it got me thinking. I personally feel that I have reached a stage in my life where depression is inconceivable. I usually sit back and logically asses situations. By doing this I am usually blissful and often times laugh at depression in the face. I always felt that depression was driven by overemphasized avoidable feelings that are miss-handled on an intrapersonal level. Though I may get temporarily frustrated (like 10 seconds) with humanities inability to perceive the obvious, it has yet to drive me to a state of depression, or even a state of ultimate seclusion from society. I was curious to hear what other INTPs have to say about depression.

Usually when I sit back and asses my situation it makes me depressed.

Luzian

Local time
-->
here's a thought: Do you think people who aren't depressed, live in their minds?
The mind is a lonely place, GTFO

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My general state is happiness or contentment. I suppose I'm lucky that way. I have bad periods fairly frequently but they tend not to last that long. They usually take the form of anxiety. I have extremely strong urges to throw myself in front of a moving car, or walk into a wall, or harm myself in some other way. I also find it difficult to walk in straight lines. I usually feel like I'm falling apart and sometimes have waves of breathtaking misery and helplessness crash on me. Pretty interesting really. Never overrides my head; they're more physiological responses I can't control.

This is getting too honest :eek:

All the above is a lie. :D

subterralien

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:32 PM
-->
I usually tend to slip towards depression, but always seem to stay away from it.

Smoking weed on a regular basis has helped me with this, inadvertently, I think :)

edit:

here's a thought: Do you think people who aren't depressed, live in their minds?

makes sense, especially with what I just said. I live in my head a bit more when I'm high. I can also write pages and pages of thoughts down.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Tomorrow 2:32 AM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
I got the feeling of depression a lot, always for silly reasons, and once I'm in, nobody can help me out. I usually get out of the state after a week or so. They always come from my imagination, when I started to think about people I will interpret the little evidence I have into a bunch of doom prophecy: the lack of contact with someone->someone died; someone is late->car accident; friend do not return SMS->friend betray; cough->mortal illness. Any of these trigger and it will become a slippery slope. Once I even cried a whole week and skipped school because I concluded that my whole family have been massacre (and the conclusion is totally off the mark).

noisewar

null
Local time
-->
severe depression has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember but I think it helps keep me busy and motivated.. Not being able to do things, learn things, work on things = bad things though

Renk Fasze

Local time
Today 1:32 PM
-->
"Depression" is very aptly named: it's suppression of emotion.
Ive been depressed at times.

Usually happens when i let emotion run me only to be left hanging...which then leads me to try and give explanation to it through logic...which isn't possible.

I don't want to be a emotionless robot but sometimes i think i play defense for a while by not allowing certain emotions to surface (consciously/unconsciously) for fear that i will be stuck running circles.

Maybe its because i lack an understanding of some emotions(or maybe its the wrong approach...maybe emotions are not meant to be understood) ...or that i try to logically explain every one that effects me at a deep level. Since its impossible i tend to avoid it?

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
I coast on an emotion that's just a shade darker than mellow until something happens to change it. I've found I can withstand a significant amount of melancholy energy for extended periods of time, but generally can find small pinpricks of "happy energy" during the day to alleviate it. And if I don't...well, bottles burst eventually.
On the flip side, it doesn't take much to make me "happy" (term used loosely) if I'm already on my neutral.

Has anyone here ever been to any sort of therapist that actually helped their depression? I'm terribly cynical about therapy directed at myself; I'm one of the people who believes it's useful for many other people but not me.

Felan

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When I start feeling depressed I usually go to the gym and exhaust myself. I will think on what is depressing me as well but more often then not when I am done I'm feeling a lot more centered.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
^ I can relate to that, though I take super long walks instead, always at night. Unfortunately, by the time I realize I need to do it, my mood has gone so sour that I'm entertaining ideas of laying down in some ditch and going to sleep.

Solar Empath

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Well interpreted. I have noticed this in myself as well.

Belph

Local time
Today 9:32 PM
-->
My shrink says I own one for 6 years now.

amorfati

Local time
-->
Deeply depressed, suicidal, and utterly horrified at the state of things was my natural state for years.

Being in a place like that has a similar effect that a seven day acid trip has. Once you've experienced it, you can't go back to the way you used to percieve life.

Depression has been my greatest teacher in life, but I have no reason to ever go back to that place again.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
There have been a lot of threads posted on the topic of depression so I have ignored this one until now (My bad - perhaps)

It is just I figure that everyone has heard what I have to say on the subject. As a counselor I have dealt with a great deal of depression. I have noticed one particular pattern. Depressed people are often slaves to the past. They seemingly allow the Past to dictate the Future, in a deterministic fashion. If one has no 'real' future except as a reflection of a bitter Past, then even Now becomes meaningless and there is no distinction between the Past and the Future. Time stops and stops in a bad place for it to stop or so it seems to a lot of depressed people.

There is something called "Time therapy", that really is not used for treatment of depression, but perhaps it should be. About all I can do as therapy is to provoke and challenge depressed clients "To Be Here - To Be Now" and to encourage them to discount both the Past and Future as figments of imagination.

However, of course, anti-depressants can help, but there has to be a active effort on the part of the client to improve attitudes for the medications to provide the most benefits. The drugs are just a part of the solution...

Local time
-->
Depression...whhhaatt? Haha, well maybe a bit on my end. Though, personally I like to think of it as an casual acceptance that my life is fraught with failure, disappointment, and bad luck. I can be jovial when I wish it, even a bit happy for a moment. Except the next day always turns out to be bleaker than the last. I guess I am a glass half empty type?

Honestly, I could jolt myself out of this, but there is no motivation in me. That is why I've moved to PA, away from family and friends. To try and find that spark for life that I had when I was younger. I've excelled at most things in my life, to no satisfaction (sports, school, fine arts, work). That is mostly because I hate praise, I hate being better than others, and probably hate myself a "little" to boot.

Not sure if any of that is quite INTPness, though whomever is playing the violin in the background is superb, haha.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
No, I have never been in a depression and I never will be..
I think depression is a sign of weakness and it's pathetic.
We have nothing to complain about.
No reason to feel sorry for ourselves or anyone else for that matter.

The fact that you and I are so privileged that we can sit here on the internet, listen to music, eat, drink. etc is just proof of how much better lives we have than ALOT of other people. Trust me, I've had my share of "bad" childhood.. Drug addicted father, heroin mostly. Him trying to stranglling my mother, carrying away my little brother 3 AM. Waiting in the car for 6 hours because he had to "talk" to some friends.. Not getting dinner because he had to go to the bathroom for a wee (which apparantly also took 6-8 hours)
NO friends at all, teachers against you, because you were a troublemaker etc.
Being forced to see a psychologist 6 times because my teachers felt that something had to be "wrong" in my head.

My point is that I know what it's like to be sad and cry and have bad experiences.
But not ONE time did I ever feel like "giving up" not one time did I go to anyone and expected them to feel sorry for me, in fact I hate it when people go like "aaww, that must have been harsh!"

Of course it was fucking hard! But that doesn't give me the right to whine about anything, I'm alive, I have a Playstation 3 which I was able to get because I was able to get a job, which I was also able to get because I went to school. I can read books, I can play my guitar, I can paint. I even get to go to the doctor if my "neck hurts a bit"

I think it's disgusting when people whine about how their "parents are divorced" and how their "boy/girlfriends left them" etc. When they expect you to feel sorry for them or comfort them.

Don't go thinking I'm a complete asshole now because I'm not saying that my friends can't come to me and say "Hey dude, could I talk to you for a minute" SURE! I love listening to my friends if they have to talk, if they feel bad. But the minute they expect me to comfort them I just get angry. The world has bigger problems than our small talks and relationships.

I know this last part about boyfriends and comforting had nothing to do with the topic really, but I was just trying to add some substance to my point of view. ;)

I do hope this does not seem like a comepletely "Heartless" way to look at feelings as I figured a forum with INTP would have at least one feeling the same way, hehe.

//Excuse my grammar and typing in general, english are not my mother tongue.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Tomorrow 1:32 AM
-->

The fact that you and I are so privileged that we can sit here on the internet, listen to music, eat, drink. etc is just proof of how much better lives we have than ALOT of other people. Trust me, I've had my share of "bad" childhood.. Drug addicted father, heroin mostly. Him trying to stranglling my mother, carrying away my little brother 3 AM. Waiting in the car for 6 hours because he had to "talk" to some friends.. Not getting dinner because he had to go to the bathroom for a wee (which apparantly also took 6-8 hours)
NO friends at all, teachers against you, because you were a troublemaker etc.
Being forced to see a psychologist 6 times because my teachers felt that something had to be "wrong" in my head.

My point is that I know what it's like to be sad and cry and have bad experiences.
But not ONE time did I ever feel like "giving up" not one time did I go to anyone and expected them to feel sorry for me, in fact I hate it when people go like "aaww, that must have been harsh!"

Of course it was fucking hard! But that doesn't give me the right to whine about anything, I'm alive, I have a Playstation 3 which I was able to get because I was able to get a job, which I was also able to get because I went to school. I can read books, I can play my guitar, I can paint. I even get to go to the doctor if my "neck hurts a bit"

I think it's disgusting when people whine about how their "parents are divorced" and how their "boy/girlfriends left them" etc. When they expect you to feel sorry for them or comfort them.

Don't go thinking I'm a complete asshole now because I'm not saying that my friends can't come to me and say "Hey dude, could I talk to you for a minute" SURE! I love listening to my friends if they have to talk, if they feel bad. But the minute they expect me to comfort them I just get angry. The world has bigger problems than our small talks and relationships.

I know this last part about boyfriends and comforting had nothing to do with the topic really, but I was just trying to add some substance to my point of view. ;)

I do hope this does not seem like a comepletely "Heartless" way to look at feelings as I figured a forum with INTP would have at least one feeling the same way, hehe.

//Excuse my grammar and typing in general, english are not my mother tongue.

thats too much of heart. ive broken down a lot before too. but i try to keep it at bay. Been there and done that in a couple of ways but what is depressing is that I am not even unfortunate in my environment. Being the issue itself is very depressing. Just being 'out there' and your parents scolding at you that you are dreamy that you dont pay attention that you arent following and that after they left you to do hwk for 6 hours you have barely done a couple of problems because you spent all that time day dreaming. You really start to wonder if reincarnation true. But as time went on I took more pride in my introvert behavior. I took pride that I daydream. I took pride when my parents were fighting and I was able to silence them with my head and go somewhere peaceful. I took Pride That I was High Naturally.

pretty good english as a second language. english was supposed to be my second language but i never cared about what was being said in the family, just what was in my bedtime stories.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
thats too much of heart. ive broken down a lot before too. but i try to keep it at bay. Been there and done that in a couple of ways but what is depressing is that I am not even unfortunate in my environment. Being the issue itself is very depressing. Just being 'out there' and your parents scolding at you that you are dreamy that you dont pay attention that you arent following and that after they left you to do hwk for 6 hours you have barely done a couple of problems because you spent all that time day dreaming. You really start to wonder if reincarnation true. But as time went on I took more pride in my introvert behavior. I took pride that I daydream. I took pride when my parents were fighting and I was able to silence them with my head and go somewhere peaceful. I took Pride That I was High Naturally.

pretty good english as a second language. english was supposed to be my second language but i never cared about what was being said in the family, just what was in my bedtime stories.

I'm not quite sure how your message is a response to mine.. In any way to be honest. You say I have too much heart and You've broken down alot too?? In what part of my post was it not clear to you that I had never been depressed?

Jennywocky

Creepy Clown Chick
Local time
-->

...I think it's disgusting when people whine about how their "parents are divorced" and how their "boy/girlfriends left them" etc. When they expect you to feel sorry for them or comfort them.

Actually, I think you are.
Mostly because you don't distinguish between different types of depression.
Or different types of people.

I'm not much for people who just sit around and whine about their fate.
I did that for a number of years because the changes required were terrifying... but I finally did them, got through it, and am no longer on ADs... and sometimes I have a really bad distaste for whiners because I once felt that powerless and don't like to reexperience it.

But the fact of the matter is that depression can come from a variety of sources (existential, social, biochemical, circumstantial) and is a fact of human existence. And some people are susceptible to it by personality, while others have other vices. To blanket-criticize people under such a broad category is actually sort of short-sighted.

Even the good, strong, tough people sometimes need a lot of support and energy-building to get the oooomph together enough to fight the depression... as well as a positive vision for all the work and pain to be worth the effort.

Judging them ain't gonna fix a thing, even if in a few situations your assessment is correct.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Actually, I think you are.
Mostly because you don't distinguish between different types of depression.
Or different types of people.

I'm not much for people who just sit around and whine about their fate.
I did that for a number of years because the changes required were terrifying... but I finally did them, got through it, and am no longer on ADs... and sometimes I have a really bad distaste for whiners because I once felt that powerless and don't like to reexperience it.

But the fact of the matter is that depression can come from a variety of sources (existential, social, biochemical, circumstantial) and is a fact of human existence. And some people are susceptible to it by personality, while others have other vices. To blanket-criticize people under such a broad category is actually sort of short-sighted.

Even the good, strong, tough people sometimes need a lot of support and energy-building to get the oooomph together enough to fight the depression... as well as a positive vision for all the work and pain to be worth the effort.

Judging them ain't gonna fix a thing, even if in a few situations your assessment is correct.

Trust me, I'm not in a drepression, I would know. I've beeb very sad, crying for hours straight, but stopped. Went to school fought the people who fought me, and I fought how I felt. The point is that I fought, and I'm not saying I never thought "My god, why can't I just die?" But giving up or killing my self did never cross my mind

And yes I know.. My way of thinking is both arrogant and short-sigthed, but essentially. Whine is whine, whiners are whiners.

EDIT: Also I know judging them won't fix anything, but I feel, as this being a forum, that when people say something that should expect someone saying something else (as long as it's on topic) And at the point I felt like expressing how I felt depression =)

Deleted member 1424

Not being suicidal doesn't automatically equate into not being depressed. The very fact you view life as something to be fought through doesn't lend itself to your case. You seem very repressive.

Everyone has weak moments, but if you if don't let those moments consume and define you; you will become a better stronger and more compassionate person for it. Admittedly I have a hard time dealing with people sympathetically when their depression is essentially part of their identity and they literally become dependent on it. However I've seen people struggle through depression and come out the other side. There is a tremendous amount of growth that occurs if you can survive it.

Whine is whine, whiners are whiners.
I understand the sentiment, but most of what you're 'whining' about are people who do it for attention and people who think it's fashionable in it's own way. It's very common among young generations. However from what I've seen and experienced personally with real depression; is that it's a very private thing. Most isolate themselves; they don't whine about their circumstances to people who probably don't care. If they come seeking help, it's only to trusted individuals and it's really a sign of strength. They couldn't solve their problems on their own, but they still don't want to chose the 'easy way out.' It's hardly a sin to ask for help when you need it.

Are you a social Darwinist?

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Not being suicidal doesn't automatically equate into not being depressed. The very fact you view life as something to be fought through doesn't lend itself to your case. You seem very repressive.

Are you a social dawinist?

The first part I agree with, I have to admit I might sound like I've been in a depression. I might have, but the fact that I 'know' what depression is and that I fight it doesnt not mean that I have been depressive.
I've been lonely, sad and crying. But not depressed
And I feel insulted when people assume I'm depressed..

And If I understand repressive the right way. I don't think I am. I don't want to control others, I don't care wether you are Atheist or religious. Wether you listen to Michael Jackson or Jimi Hendrix.
Wether you are depressed or not. So I'd say no, I'm not really repressive.

And yes I would say I'm a social darwinist. But not extreme. I think that people should do their own thing, if their waste all their money buying beer, so be it. That's not my problem, but they shouldn't whine how the gorvernment doesn't help them. Unless they would actually USE the help. But most of the time even though the gorvernment does help them, they are just going to buy beer.

But on the other hand, I can't stand people whining about drunkards. Going "Damn beggars, I give them a dollar and they just go and buy a fucking beer!" What the fuck did you expect? He has no home, no family, no money. You want him to save every dollar he get's until he eventually will be able to buy a house? He maybe gets 10 dollars a week, if he's lucky.
(this was just an example, I know it's not that simple, hehe)

Also, I do not believe in full capitalism nor full communism. I'd say
I'm a social capitalist. As I believe in helping each other, to the point where people just abuse the help or are not thankful of the help they get.

But truly, I'm an anarchist. If you would be able to figure out some kind of way to be reasonable it would be amazing. Help each other out but still without rules. And nobody stealling from anybody, as they would just get punished for not respecting the rest.. Sort of a Anachistic Democratic Socialism/Weak communism. If that makes any sense.

But I think my way of thinking about anachism is too complex to write down on a forum, also with english not being my mother tongue.

EDIT: Also I know not being suicidal does not equal depsression, I'm just trying to prove my point, and when I do that. I use examples alot. And as you might have figured out, Suicide was an example. I would also like to response to you saying most "whiners" are a young generation. Well yes, I'm part of that Generation. I'm 18 years old, doesn't mean I have to whine.
There are also whiners at the age of 40, or 80.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Tomorrow 1:32 AM
-->
I'm not quite sure how your message is a response to mine.. In any way to be honest. You say I have too much heart and You've broken down alot too?? In what part of my post was it not clear to you that I had never been depressed?

You might think I am on the other perspective when I say this. But I think depression is necessary. Its not a sign of weakness. By claiming it as a sign of weakness I view it as you have came pretty close. I once did go into a depression but when I walked out of it I was pretty damn different. Yes, I was contradictory, I am very contradictory on any issue that involves feelings because I view it as a wild thing that I wish to tame. I presume you as well.

All I am saying is that depression isn't weakness, its a phase where thought and emotion. I went through one due to some infatuation issue, but when I got out of it was ENTP towards my friends and now whenever I feel down I turn up house music and dont feel any lack of harmony.

It changes one to be better. Certainly better than an introvert that sits around by himself consumed by his own thought then gets bugged by someone else and suddenly blows up saying things that he reflects later on and realize dont make sense. (talking about me before i went into a subtle depression).

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You might think I am on the other perspective when I say this. But I think depression is necessary. Its not a sign of weakness. By claiming it as a sign of weakness I view it as you have came pretty close. I once did go into a depression but when I walked out of it I was pretty damn different. Yes, I was contradictory, I am very contradictory on any issue that involves feelings because I view it as a wild thing that I wish to tame. I presume you as well.

All I am saying is that depression isn't weakness, its a phase where thought and emotion. I went through one due to some infatuation issue, but when I got out of it was ENTP towards my friends and now whenever I feel down I turn up house music and dont feel any lack of harmony.

It changes one to be better. Certainly better than an introvert that sits around by himself consumed by his own thought then gets bugged by someone else and suddenly blows up saying things that he reflects later on and realize dont make sense. (talking about me before i went into a subtle depression).

I have been close to depression, I think I have.. But I still find it weak, staying home because "everything is too tough" I do find that a weakness.
A saying that Extrovert is better than Introvert is just arrogant. And it's very subjective.

Don't tell me that being introvert is a bad thing, it's not. Thoughts are wonderful.. Having to depend on everyone around you is just as much a weakness as being consumed by your own thoughts.
And this is where I find myself being very lucky. As I'm am introvert, very introvert. But not 100%

And you, you are just arrogant..

EDIT: By the way. I never said LIFE was something to be fought through.. But Pain is something to be fought.

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
There are some people and states of being I find pathetic. But others have been to depths of despair that most can only dream of (actually not even that), and I have immense respect for any one of these who can somehow survive it.

Oh and also, your post stinks and your attitude has potential to do harm - get some compassion.

Top Bottom