• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Do you care what others think of your intelligence level?

Thales

Conscious thinking as instinctive function
Local time
Today 11:13 PM
-->
Well, do you? Social reality seems to be the only reality most people care about, after all.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Tomorrow 12:13 AM
-->
Not really, or well, sort of. I kind of accepted I'm considered a little weird, but I wish it wasn't so, of course.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Today 3:13 PM
-->
I'd say yes. I care in that I like being viewed as intelligent. However I also try to avoid only caring about "Social reality." If I could choose how I was viewed I'd like to be viewed as an Obi-Wan type person.

So as a result my withdrawing looks a lot like laziness so instead of being the "wise hermit" I end up looking like a slacker and very few people actually recognize my intelligence. I would say that I'm as smart (maybe even smarter) as most of the people at my school but no one really recognizes it. It annoys me and pleases me at the same time.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Today 5:13 PM
-->
Perception of intelligence is one of the few things I have to my advantage. I am valued largely because I have intelligence. I can talk, listen and understand conversation about big issues, and I can get shit done. If I didn't have that, then I probably would not be valued, so, yeah, it is a very important value. My housemate likes to have me around because I can talk with him about ancient history (a subject he likes), I can fix his computer troubles, I can teach him how to best use his computer, and I can fix his other mechanical problems. Like when the terminal box of the dryer exploded--I fixed it, but before that he wanted to buy a new dryer, and he is the poorest man I know. Without having what I have, I don't think he would have any use for me except someone who pays for half the rent and utilities.

alrai

Banned
Local time
-->
If i was so bothered about how intelligent i seem, then why would it take me so long to even attempt to sharpen my knowledge? I would say my "intelligence" is average, I've noticed most NF i know seem the first to recognize the potential in me, but of course, we are not our ability.

Jelly Rev

Local time
Today 6:13 PM
-->
I'd say yes. I care in that I like being viewed as intelligent. However I also try to avoid only caring about "Social reality." If I could choose how I was viewed I'd like to be viewed as an Obi-Wan type person.

So as a result my withdrawing looks a lot like laziness so instead of being the "wise hermit" I end up looking like a slacker and very few people actually recognize my intelligence. I would say that I'm as smart (maybe even smarter) as most of the people at my school but no one really recognizes it. It annoys me and pleases me at the same time.

that.

I also know that to increase my percieved intelligence I would have to create tangible thing in the external world for them to attribute to myself but what's the point??...or so I used to say whats the point?. now I justify doing activiftes so in the future life in the external world will take less work than it currently does.
That's how ive justified activities like weight lifting, school, etc...bc in the future I wont have to try as hard

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Hmm. I think it's more important that I believe I am intelligent. But those two usually come hand in hand. I've mentioned before that I don't think I come off as intelligent. I'm somewhat clumsy, have problems understanding instructions or explanations told verbally. I get this distant look in those situations because I'm trying to connect the words to their meanings and grasp the context. And I think I'm somewhat a slow learner. Yeah, I might not be all that bright, actually. But I'm doing okay at least.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
I'd rather be seen as clever than intelligent. I'll never be the person who knows facts about everything, but if I can be adaptive and solve problems presented to me, I'll be happy. I'd rather people see that trait in me than "intelligence" as is defined by "knowing" things. It's pretentious to think that my intelligence is above average, and I am very negative...ehm...humble about this.

alrai

Banned
Local time
-->
I hardly leave my room unless its emergency, or maintenance reasons like food, or paying bills, my room is like my dearest friend, well most of those are online, and i don't really need any friends in real life because the ones i seem to get along with seem to come across as manly and enjoy being involved in the army. I am a very slow learner, you have to take things one step at a time with me when explaining concepts, but i'm persistent which usually pays off. also i tend to be a good observer and string meaning one at a time, but its so annoying when I've been building and refining idea for so long just so i can reach the wrong conclusion, reminds me of when i use to build the LEGO house (that takes me practically the whole day), just so my little brother can kick it down (he gets his thrill from that, its a bit boring at home).

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:13 AM
-->
No because I always thought I had a slight mental problem. I probably do.

alrai

Banned
Local time
-->
No because I always thought I had a slight mental problem. I probably do.

I would seek professional help, see a therapist then maybe there could be some hope.
Wish you all the best.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
if by 'care' you mean trying to influence how they think about my intelligence, then: hardly, because i can't.

people react strangely to the fact, that my mind is so different (typologically, but not only that).

and me avoiding to ask 'stupid questions', because i am ashamed about not being in touch with this or that specific subject, does very little to influence peoples view of me.

everyone has extreme reactions. some only see in me, what is incomprehensible to them, and they are often afraid of my intelligence and the judgements that must be implied by my worldview, others only see what i am lacking, like a lack of extroversion, so i am just a retard no matter what, or a lack of being normal so i must be insane dadada ...

any 'care' of the controlling kind is totally futile.

but sure, it hurts to live confronted with all those extreme one-sided prejudices, and to find only very few people who care to look at whats really there, behind the obvious 'being different'. you can not-not care, you could only dissociate the care. (i can't)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 7:43 AM
-->
I don't want to be seen as a buffoon, other than that I don't really care how smart people think I am.

alrai

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm not inclined to share my beloved intellectual system on a forum with stranger, feeler may get a kick out that, but every time i share something personal i feel stripped of my facade, and that's the real reason i delete the post. I couldn't care what anyone thinks about my intellect, besides it will take many more years to wipe out all the positive reinforcement i've received about my intelligence despite my effort rate to be intelligent being practically zero.
So take pride in that terrible effort and constant repetitions you feel so valuable, in the long run time will show that your learning capacity is low, and fast as stone.
Your internal system is built by taking one piece of the puzzle at a time and rather than putting them together once you've collected all the puzzle, you just line them up in a row.
so maybe the way you weigh intelligence is a limited, which comes purely from your idiopathic definition.

mainiac

Local time
-->
To tell you the truth for the most part i dont give a rip what people think of me, sometimes I hope they think i am stupid as they are morons. When people think you are stupid and you have nothing they want for free..like your time, your money, what ever it may be as long as they can take it or use it at no cost. This way they move on to more promising plunder. Those i know and care about already respect my inteligence and and I thiers.

alrai

Banned
Local time
-->
we'll good for you maniac (btw the name suits your disorder), don't come here enforcing your manipulative shit on me, because as poorly as i put it before, the fact is your not "communicating" your ideas which would be appreciated, you're trying to manipulate my ideas to bend them in a way that they match your own, and as for as im concerned, communication is not synonmouus to manipulations.
so take them crocodile tears, and put on your manipulative act somewhere else, because their transparent as glass in these realms. I'm not trying to be "evil", rather i'm stating a perspective which is different from your own, but whatever that perspective is, if its not your own then its stupid and you just dismiss people as crazy. takes jabs at their imagined weakness, ridicule, whatever means to crush that person before you can feed them more of you ideas to swallow. of course this must all be done in a machiavellian manner, appealing to their bondage, that its for their growth. wtf this maybe intelligent, but it's real evil force your ideas on other people by degrading theirs and swaying them with the drama classes you've been taking.
I know that below all your nonsense your good, but your approach is wrong.

alrai

Banned
Local time
-->
If she said "to tell you the truth" too early at the start.

then that is a classic and give away line, prepare yourself boys for the great lie.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
I feel like half of that conversation got deleted or something. :confused:

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I like to appear intelligent, and yet I like it to look like the intelligence is just sort of an accident. In my offline life, I often like to "correct" people or argue with people, but I do it in a way that makes it look like my knowledge was sort of incidental, as if I'd read it in a newspaper headline as opposed to being knowledgeable in the subject. As a result, I often dumb myself down (even resorting to pretending like I'm struggling to attempt to remember a word or concept that I know like the back of my hand in conversation). I'm not exactly sure why I do this, but I think it may have to do with my working class upbringing, where being a "Joe six pack" was a respectable niche (Joe-six-pack describes the vast majority of my relatives, including both of my parents).

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
I do care what others think of me. Social interactions require its own breed of intelligence. There are two types of intelligence; concrete knowledge/know-how and "getting it." I value "getting it" much more than technical know how. In my opinion it gets me much farther and makes me feel better about myself. Intelligence/cleverness is definitely my primary claim to social power. (Others may use; physical strength, money, fame etc...)

However, there is something very satisfying about having a technical discussion with another person who can speak back intelligently. Only when it is warranted though. I get my fix of this from work.

sidenote: AI, I'm totally gonna use "Joe six pack." Gold right there.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
I was about to say: "Absolutely not", but then I realized that this may be because all my life, pretty much everyone (including me) had always just assumed I was intelligent. Not sure why that is. Maybe the glasses :confused:
Still, this weird phenomena made the very thought of someone considering me stupid so foreign that it's just - entertaining.
Not sure how I'd feel about the whole thing if I had a face that says: "I'm a bit slow"

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
we'll good for you maniac (btw the name suits your disorder), don't come here enforcing your manipulative shit on me, because as poorly as i put it before, the fact is your not "communicating" your ideas which would be appreciated, you're trying to manipulate my ideas to bend them in a way that they match your own, and as for as im concerned, communication is not synonmouus to manipulations.
so take them crocodile tears, and put on your manipulative act somewhere else, because their transparent as glass in these realms. I'm not trying to be "evil", rather i'm stating a perspective which is different from your own, but whatever that perspective is, if its not your own then its stupid and you just dismiss people as crazy. takes jabs at their imagined weakness, ridicule, whatever means to crush that person before you can feed them more of you ideas to swallow. of course this must all be done in a machiavellian manner, appealing to their bondage, that its for their growth. wtf this maybe intelligent, but it's real evil force your ideas on other people by degrading theirs and swaying them with the drama classes you've been taking.
I know that below all your nonsense your good, but your approach is wrong.

I think you'll like this thread

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
an assertion: "care" or values do not behave in absolutes. The behavior is deeply situational(time-space), which means it depends on who, what mood, emotion, physical condition and several other dynamic factors. With this in mind, as of this moment, I care for certain people's opinion about my intelligence. I couldn't care less about some random person's opinion.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:13 PM
-->
Well, do you? Social reality seems to be the only reality most people care about, after all.
I don't care to any significant degree, but I don't like when people think I'm dumb. I also don't like hearing when someone thinks I'm the "wise one of our group", either, though. Not because I deny that I'm fairly wise, but because then everyone's going to turn to me for advice, and I don't tend to have the same values as other people and I've never thought of it as my place to interfere in the lives of others.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Speaking of intelligence, anyone know how to get to pages 2 thru 15? When I display "New Posts", I am intelligent enough to note 1 of 15, but not the ones thereafter! I feel so stupid and I care a lot about pages 2 thru 15, lol.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Speaking of intelligence, anyone know how to get to pages 2 thru 15? When I display "New Posts", I am intelligent enough to note 1 of 15, but not the ones thereafter! I feel so stupid and I care a lot about pages 2 thru 15, lol.

15 posts, not pages. ..unless i'm not getting something here.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know. My whole life, people I know have equated my name with 'really clever', till I went to Cambridge at least, to the point that people who don't know me very well assume that's all there is to me: I'm just a clever person and nothing else. I don't like that. I'd rather people thought, "...and he's really clever, too!"; I mean, it's not the trait I value most in myself. Far from it, I take it for granted. People seem to blind to that, assuming that I value my intelligence above everything else. If I got into an argument with someone - the interpersonal kind, I mean, at school, say - they'd go on the attack against my assumed estimation of my own intelligence - "You think you're so clever, don't you?" or, "You think you can look down your nose at me just because I'm not as smart as you?" - and I would just think, "Wow, you don't know me at all, do you?"

So yeah, I suppose I do care what others think of my intelligence level, in that I'd rather it didn't blind them to the rest of me. On the other hand, since I want to be a professional academic, it'll be pretty important to my livelihood - and, more importantly by leaps and bounds, to the fulfillment of my life's purpose - that people consider me intelligent.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Hey Jordan~. Why can't we think of intelligence as a tool? If we have a great tool, we can use it to do stuff. If it is so handy it can become valuable. But it doesn't have to be that way.

There (1) are other tools and (2) we might not use our tool wisely. So to be deceived into vanity because we have some weird tool seems to be an error. To be glad we have it is in better order.

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
It is one of the few things about the way others perceive me that matters to me.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
@OP

Depends. Around people who don't require my skills, I don't really care to showcase them. I don't care to exhibit myself at all, especially because of having a similar disposition like Minuend, even though I know I have the capability. People who do require my skills will learn of my hidden intelligence and in that case I would like to have a positive image because of the business I would attract. It's good for me and them, if I am believed to be capable.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:13 AM
-->
I would seek professional help, see a therapist then maybe there could be some hope.
Wish you all the best.

OOO SHINY

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I don't think I do. I believe I am more occupied with trying to utilize what I have as I am not able to figure out the stuff I feel like I need to figure out, instead of all the stuff I do feel like I can figure out, and probably not able to figure out even that.

Cerul

Local time
Tomorrow 6:13 AM
-->
Yeah I do. Usually prefer people think I'm not intelligent as insurance for when I do stupid things. Also more satisfying when you surprise people.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 12:13 PM
-->
Not really. I could never find the logic in conforming to other people's standards that are almost always hypocritical, self-serving, and change from day to day. But I'm probably a loser/deadbeat by society's overall standard of work ethic and contribution. Heh, but then again I'm okay with that or I would change it.

whatever?

Top Bottom