• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

do any of you intp's work-out?

Local time
Tomorrow 3:28 AM
-->
I envision that few intp's would be inclined to work out. I work out 5 days a week (only since 6 months ago when i read a self help book though)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 1:28 AM
-->
I work out maths problems often but I don't like lifting things.

kvothe27

Local time
Today 9:28 AM
-->
I've been jogging regularly (3-4 times a week) for the past five years (usually about four miles per session). I lift weights off and on. I mostly exercise for mental health reasons (runner's high is fantastic), but appearing athletic is a nice bonus.

What exercises do your workouts consist of?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 12:58 AM
-->
I just enlisted an ESFP to PT me. I'm wondering if it was a good move...

Local time
-->
in a perfect week
i do 20 mins of cardio like 3 times a week, core on the other 2 days. this is the warmup. then i do just whatever muscle group is not hurting currently, chest, back, arms, legs

Local time
-->
I just enlisted an ESFP to PT me. I'm wondering if it was a good move...

8 months from now i'll be a qualified personal trainer. I'd like to say I'd help you out but too many if's. that is IF i pass my qualification. IF i still know you.. if blahblah

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:28 AM
-->
I have tried unsuccessfully several times. I used to be more active, now I do pretty much bugger all. It's not good; I really need to get motivated again...somehow. The thing is, I like doing stuff when I get started. I like swimming, XC skiing, hiking, etc. Solitary stuff. Hate team sport with a passion. Probably an inherent social fault in me...I live a very solitary life.

Has it affected/helped your depression?

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 8:28 AM
-->
I've been slowly getting back to working out. Having two detached ribs makes that hard. It forces me to build the muscles in my back up, but also keeps me from making much progress. If I push myself, even a little too hard, I'll pop my ribs out again and be in horrible pain. Plus destroy the progress the chiropractor has done.

So for now it's running, squats (without weights), and some other weight free arm and back exercises.

As soon as my ribs heal up, I'm going to start working harder. Goal is to get a Bruce Lee body by the time I'm 30. I think he has the healthiest look. Not really big, but well formed. He could fly to the moon with those lats lol.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 11:28 AM
-->
I used to on a regular basis but that was over 20 years ago. I can't now and didn't do it often past the age of 25. I used to do a lot of physical work by that time and working out seemed pointless since my muscles were already tired and had been through what they had been through.

bartoli

Local time
Today 5:28 PM
-->
I swim 200-300 x 25m a week, but don't work out. I'm not interested in getting more strength. I just want to keep the fat away, and optionnally get more endurence for normal effort. Doing harder effort to gain some strength i would never have a use for would be a waste imo

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I mostly exercise for mental health reasons (runner's high is fantastic), but appearing athletic is a nice bonus.

This.

Hate team sport with a passion. Probably an inherent social fault in me...I live a very solitary life.

Oh gods. Team sports are the devil.

I workout because I don't like feeling weak or in anyway unfit for whatever physical trial I might run across. Also, my mental health is dependent on me exerting myself physically on a regular basis. I turn into a high strung insomniac if I don't.

I walk to and from work everyday which means I cover about 15 miles a week in walking. I also do 3 or 4 hours of muscle toning exercises such as squats and whatnot every week. I've always been active and at this stage in my life I'm mostly just maintaining my weight and muscle mass. Maintenance is easier then actually losing weight or gaining muscle though building muscle and endurance has always been easy for me.

I keep an eye on my calorie intake to of course. I'm not very strict with myself but I opt out of second portions and desserts fairly regularly. By following this food and exercise regimen I find I'm generally in the top 3 most fit people I know.

ummidk

Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
I don't have any "workout routine" but I attempt to maintain fitness and mental alertness by being atleast somewhat active everyday. I ride my bike to work most days, but its only bout 2 miles away. I occasionally will lift a curl bar I own, but for the most part I use my own body(Handstand pushups, pushups, situps, squats) while just watching TV/lounging around.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
No, they (INTPs) may not. However, I walk to school, walk to class, walk home, and clean the house. This is the most exercise I get. Awesome, right?
To add to my idiocy, I actually have a well thought out routine, but I haven't used it.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 11:28 PM
-->
I tend to exercise to keep the brain juice flowing.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Sometimes it feels like I'm getting fat so I "exercise". Also, I tend to lift some during various circumstances... Don't think I'd be comfortable with being a meathead though, I do appreciate the tone I guess. I mean, it could come in handy for something one day if only some sort of self gratification.
(and we'll end it there..)

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 10:28 PM
-->

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
-->
I'm not an INTP, but yes, I work out whenever I'm chasing women.

When that happens, I train 5-6 days a week moving heavy weights for 35-45 minutes, followed by 15 minutes cardio, and look like a walnut in a condom.

When I'm not chasing women, I barely work out, lifting heavy pizzas, do massive numbers of repetitions moving a coffee cup to and from my mouf, and look like a ball of chewed up bubblegum.

I am not chasing women at the moment :D

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
I work out every day.. cardio, strength training, martial arts etc. Walking on the treadmill while reading is one of my favorites (multitasking =D)

It would probably be a lot more of a challenge if it wasn't a requirement health-wise though :P

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
I'm not an INTP, but yes, I work out whenever I'm chasing women.

When that happens, I train 5-6 days a week moving heavy weights for 35-45 minutes, followed by 15 minutes cardio, and look like a walnut in a condom.

When I'm not chasing women, I barely work out, lifting heavy pizzas, do massive numbers of repetitions moving a coffee cup to and from my mouf, and look like a ball of chewed up bubblegum.

I am not chasing women at the moment :D

I got that same fucking problem.

I need intrinsic motivation.

Or be chasing women all the time.

Lot

Local time
-->
I work out whenever I'm chasing women.

It's funny. One of the main inspirations for getting into shape is dating. I started with cardio so that I wouldn't tire on the dance floor. Now I'm slowly integrating strength training to look sexier. I was also told I need to, or my rib issue would never get better. But other than getting rid of the pain, my rib issue make me feel old. Thus, I don't feel as attractive as I could. And the thought of popping a rib out while having sex doesn't sound very appealing, either.

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
-->
I got that same fucking problem.

I need intrinsic motivation.

Or be chasing women all the time.

Usually, I do chase women all the time :D and I get embarrassed when I'm with a girl who looks like she should be in a magazine, while I look like I should be in a permanent "before" photo - so when there are women to be chased, I get really fit.

The problem is that the city I live in is a hot chick free zone. Guys outnumber girls very badly, and it gives girls a bad attitude. If you don't act like prince charming 100% of the time, and make one little slip up, there is a line of 20 dudes behind you saying that they can do a better job.

I have no patience for that sort of thing. I can handle a slight imbalance of men, sure - but when the club is 5 to 1 dudes to girls every single time, women start getting that permanent entitlement thing going on.

When you have girls that are a 6 out of 10 acting like they're 9.5 out of 10, you start getting the shits. Plus I have a smart mouth and a history of dating very attractive girls, so it causes...bad outcomes.

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
-->
It's funny. One of the main inspirations for getting into shape is dating. I started with cardio so that I wouldn't tire on the dance floor. Now I'm slowly integrating strength training to look sexier. I was also told I need to, or my rib issue would never get better. But other than getting rid of the pain, my rib issue make me feel old. Thus, I don't feel as attractive as I could. And the thought of popping a rib out while having sex doesn't sound very appealing, either.

That's no good - what's the rib issue? Who told you all this? What exercises are you doing? Is it the correct diagnosis?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
All my physical activities are solitary with one exception. I run a short fixed distance, same in country as city. Kept records for 20+ years. I run for speed for the numbers and like to compare my health against the cycle of performance. Right now I can run in the 70th percentile. Don't know if I can make 80 before the next breakdown.

Since I have no trainer, I've torn my rotator cuffs in both shoulders. My physical therapist told me not to do the bench press but I went ahead anyway at the beginning of August. Now it's much worse and I have to figure out if it can heal. Can't sleep on one side wo pain.

I do lots of yard work to the limit of my ability.

Lot

Local time
-->
That's no good - what's the rib issue? Who told you all this? What exercises are you doing? Is it the correct diagnosis?

About a year ago I got rather drunk with a friend and decided, while it was raining, that the grass would make a great slip and slide. So I jumped full force into my rib cage. I didn't feel it at the time, but I had damaged my rib. By the end of the next day I was completely hunched over to deal with the pain.

I went to the chiropractor and they x-rayed me. They said I had two ribs that were detached. As in, they were just hanging there when I breathed in and out. After a few weeks it got better, and I stopped going. Didn't keep up on the work outs, and I ended up popping them out again. So I'm back to getting things put back into place.

My chiropractor has me standing straight as possible, head completely level. I lift one arm up pointing out to the side to a 90 degree angle. One set of 20 on each side. When that gets easy increase sets, and then I'm to add 5 pound weights.

I also need to stand against the wall. Heels, butt, shoulder blades, and head touching the wall. Chin level. Then I raise both arms up along the wall as high as I can go. Hold, and repeat.

There are a few others I do, but those are the ones he says will help the best. I tried lat pull downs, but ended up bringing me back to square one. The next day I ended up in so much pain I was laying on the floor at work. So for now it's weight free lat pull downs.

easttowest

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm a fanatic.
60-90 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week (usually elliptical, sometimes rowing machine, stairmaster or bike), plus 15-30 minutes of various strength training exercises 3 times a week. I used to walk 10+ miles a week as well, but I hurt my knee and then got a car, so I don't really do that any more, unfortunately.
I was, however, voted "Least Athletic" in high school, so these are all fairly recent developments (past two years).

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
My mental health is highly dependent upon my physical health. At the moment I do 75 mins. yoga or ballet conditioning 4-7 days/week. I'll run or hike when the mood hits (couple times a month).

I hated PE and team sports my whole life but enjoy more rhythmic solitary activities like horse riding and dance as well. Helps with the OCD and overthinking.

Architect has said that a way to tell the difference between INTPs and ISTPs is to note whether they enjoy sports or physical activities. But all the NTs I know are active....but always solitary, meditative things like distance running or weight lifting. ISTPs like the strategy of team sports.

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 6:28 PM
-->
When I was in the army I was fit as fuck...
Nowadays I'm just travelling, so I have no running shoes, and I'm afraid I'll wear out my good hiking boots if I run in them too much, so I don't run anymore. But I do walk on average probably 2-4 hours a day, often with about 15-16 kilos on my back.
I also occasionally do a few push ups or stomach exercises. I'm incredibly lucky, in that I build muscle mass from nothing; I always look really fit, like I'm one of those people with serious workout routines, but in reality all I do is walk and lift my backpack onto my shoulders.

As others have said, I find that walking or running are necessary for my mental health. Whenever I feel any kind of emotion really, whether it's anger depression happiness or wonder, I feel this strong urge to walk, and then when I start walking (expecting, for some reason to only go for a half hour walk) I'm having so much fun I end up walking for a whole day.

I also hate team sports, (even running with other people) that seems to be a universal INTP thing I guess...

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:28 PM
-->
I cycle around the city when I need to get somewhere. I also like to walk around to clear my head. But actual exercise? Nope, i'm lazy.

Jean Paul

Ideas from nowhere
Local time
-->
I do a bit, but mainly just when I remember to do so.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
Usually, I do chase women all the time :D and I get embarrassed when I'm with a girl who looks like she should be in a magazine, while I look like I should be in a permanent "before" photo - so when there are women to be chased, I get really fit.

The problem is that the city I live in is a hot chick free zone. Guys outnumber girls very badly, and it gives girls a bad attitude. If you don't act like prince charming 100% of the time, and make one little slip up, there is a line of 20 dudes behind you saying that they can do a better job.

I have no patience for that sort of thing. I can handle a slight imbalance of men, sure - but when the club is 5 to 1 dudes to girls every single time, women start getting that permanent entitlement thing going on.

When you have girls that are a 6 out of 10 acting like they're 9.5 out of 10, you start getting the shits. Plus I have a smart mouth and a history of dating very attractive girls, so it causes...bad outcomes.

That's stupid, don't look at clubs for pretty girls. It's too damn nerve wracking to talk to them and you don't get much out of it in the end. If you do you would doubt their intentions.

I'd say if there is any luck it'd be while you are sober and cleaned up. I can't count the number of times I have fucked up just because I was drunk.

Go somewhere you'd expect to see girls being comfortable. Wherever that is.

John_Mann

Local time
Today 4:28 PM
-->
200 (4x50) pushups almost everyday. I walk a lot too.

Pushups are the best exercise.

Assassin

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I run because if I don't my body feels like a useless blob.

Local time
-->
interesting. we all love out excersise :). I've found since starting excersise that I crave excersise if I deny myself it (too busy or something)

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:28 AM
-->
ENTP here, but felt compelled to comment anyway,

I work out...currently in the process of dropping 26 lbs of muscle

but anyway, for the INTPs, I have an INTP friend who is currently a legit triathlete, (and no, he's not ISTP :P) I always see the Ti-Ne's as these long slow unmoving thinkers (hence the skinny stereotype), but as long distance runners too, taking their long ass time to think things through (it's actually very fitting) then the ISTPs with their aux Se wanting to be even more active (Physicality of Se versus not necessarily only physicality of Ne), but yeah, he's a really cool guy (and even more fit than I am)

hein

Local time
-->
A little late but what the hell!!

I started doing power lifting from 16 to about 20 then I competed 2 years in strongman comps and now I still lift heavy with emphasis on muscle building and do sprints with my pitbull!:cool:

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:28 PM
-->
i walk around shitloads. every spare minute in school or doing errands or waiting for buses is spent walking. i deliberately get lost once in a while and make sure to take the longest route anytime save for mornings.

no serious work-out though. anyone care to recommend a home work-out schedule for building some muscle bulk? tried push-ups and sit-ups and such, in decent amounts, four times a week for six months, without visible results. are weights or machines necessary for tangible progress?

hein

Local time
-->
well weights are the quickest way.

But mostly it comes down to your diet you can do weights all day but if your body is in a catabolic state (breaking down muscle for energy) it wont really help!

not

Local time
-->
I love to work out. I do find it difficult to stay consistent though. I'm in Month 4 of my current regimen. - I like to go all in on whatever I am doing. The only problem is that it makes it hard to do more than a few things at once. Right now I am in work out / script writing mode. But when I get into make a film mode, I tend to not work out, not eat right, not sleep, gain tons of weight... :storks:

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
I envision that few intp's would be inclined to work out. I work out 5 days a week (only since 6 months ago when i read a self help book though)

Nah, my body builds muscle when I need it. I don't need to trick it into thinking I need more.

Deridaburi

Local time
-->
Yeah, it's great for confidence and mental health.

inhibitions

Secretly Holden Caulfield
Local time
-->
I work out because I want to pretend that the 'big three' in my life (body, mind, soul) is in check.

I infiltrate strength and aerobics and I usually 'workout' four to five times a week. I do play tennis twice a week, if I'm lucky.

ummidk

Local time
-->
i walk around shitloads. every spare minute in school or doing errands or waiting for buses is spent walking. i deliberately get lost once in a while and make sure to take the longest route anytime save for mornings.

no serious work-out though. anyone care to recommend a home work-out schedule for building some muscle bulk? tried push-ups and sit-ups and such, in decent amounts, four times a week for six months, without visible results. are weights or machines necessary for tangible progress?

High amounts of resitance is neccesary to build bulky muscles like body builders. The best way to do this from home would probably be to buy free-weights(I.e. bench press, curl bar, weights, etc) but that would get quite costly and financially you'd probably be better off purchasing a gym membership. If your opposed to the gym you could probably buy one of those silly "workout machines for 3 payments of 19.99" or w/e as they also offer high levels of resistance for many differing workout positions.

Assuming your nutrition wasn't hindering muscle growth, those pushups and situps were yielding results, it's just they build muscle density and muscle endurance, which won't be as noticeable.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Yeah, it's great for confidence and mental health.

I'm confident I'm a skinny weak worthless piece of muscleless bag of flesh bones and I'm already in-sanity so I don't need to worry about mental health.

ummidk

Local time
-->
I'm confident I'm a skinny weak worthless piece of muscleless bag of flesh bones and I'm already in-sanity so I don't need to worry about mental health.

wait your confident you're insane or that you're within the realm of sanity? :confused:

Top Bottom