• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Death Note characters?

Scourgexlvii

Kind of like Batman... but completely different
Local time
Today 4:03 AM
-->
I've always wondered what the various Death note characters are, Namely L, Light, Misa, Ryuk and Rem

I'm guessing L as an INTJ, Light as an ISTJ(?), Misa as ESFP, Ryuk as ENFP(?), and Rem as INFJ(?). How about you guys?

Van

Local time
Today 9:03 PM
-->
I've been told that Light is INTJ and L is INTP. I forgot all the others.

Scourgexlvii

Local time
-->
Interesting, would you mind explaining why?

I put INTJ as L, because, according to Keirsey, "".[INTJs] approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or a
dversity..."" and I see L as the quintessential strategist. Also, According to the personality page, "When under a great deal of stress, the INTJ may become obsessed with mindless repetitive, Sensate activities, such as over-drinking," which I see in his obsessive sweet tooth.

Also, I see Light as an ISTJ, because, again according to the personality page "
In general, the ISTJ has a tremendous amount of potential. Capable, logical, reasonable, and effective individuals with a deeply driven desire to promote security and peaceful living, the ISTJ has what it takes to be highly effective at achieving their chosen goals - whatever they may be," which I see definitely in Light.

Van

Local time
Today 9:03 PM
-->
I didn't think to type the characters before I came across that information and I'm not great at typing anyway, but I'll give it a go.
INTJ and INTP are said to be similar, but L considers a lot of possibilities and he often says things like 'I could be wrong'. He second-guesses himself. This seems like the openness of P rather than the certainty of J, although you could say the fact that he refuses to stop thinking that Light is Kira must mean J. Also, there's Ti-Ne-Si-Fe vs Ni-Te-Fi-Se to consider. He does detective work out of interest - Ti? INTPs can focus very intensely on something that catches their interest, and L certainly has an intense focus on his case.
I haven't read much about ISTJs except that they are quite dutiful and tend to follow rules, which makes me think that if Light were ISTJ he would have more of a problem working against the law, especially since he wanted a career in the police. I think ISTJ fits his father better than him. Light is also very good at seeing how future events might unfold and coming up with ideas to deal with various possibilities, which suggests N rather than S to me.
One last thing is that L and Light are set up to be similar characters. I do think that if they are not the same type then they are at least the same temperament (NT).

Scourgexlvii

Local time
-->
Actually that makes sense. I still see L as an INTJ, at least partially, but I can see your point about Light, even though from the way he talks, he sees his way as right, and just, he'd probably still be apprehensive about breaking the law. And I see your points, to some extent, on L, but I always saw his uncertainty as a facade to keep Light from knowing that he was on to him, but I see your point about Ti-Ne-Si-Fe vs Ni-Te-Fi-Si.

But on your last point, it seems like now that I think about it, it would have both being INTJ, setting them up as similar characters

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
Today 8:03 AM
-->
We figured this out on a DN forum a long time ago and I think the ENTPs have a list

L INTP
N INTJ
Ryuuk ENTP

I should find the ENTP thread, it's been a while though. I think it's been pretty well confirmed that L is an INTP. How could you call those sudden, unorthodox methods J? I trust ENTJs and ENTPs to be the best judges of these sort of things.

But here's a thread of Characters with Light as a ENTJ.

I think the problem with INTPs trying to figure out character's types is that we may have more bias.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 9:03 AM
-->
Nah, Light is definitive INTJ. 80% of all villains are either ENTJ or INTJ. 10% are ISTP, 5% are either INTP or ENTP, 2% are INFJ (though those are almost always anti-villains) and the rest... is the rest.
The ENTJ marks the Evil Overlord archetype here while the INTJ is the Diabolical Mastermind. The ENTJ relies on his minions, the INTJ relies on his (often improbable) planning skills.
Sauron is a good example for the ENTJ villain: he sends out his Nazgul out to get what he wants. He gathers an army to crush his enemies. The Evil Overlord is much more blatant than the Diabolical Mastermind. He will never deny that he wants to invade your country.
In fantasy, he is most likely already a ruler, nobleman or has a very high rank in the army.
In modern settings he's often at the top of an evil company or a politician.
If none of these apply, he is the head of a shady organization, which can be the mafia or yakuza.
The INTJ has only few if any allies. He likes to manipulate his enemies into erasing each other only relying on his insane plotting skills. The Diabolical Mastermind is aware that one mistake can be fatal - but he is prepared for any situation. Often he is the most powerful character besides the protagonist, sometimes to the point of being a one man army.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
If Light is an NTJ he's a ENTJ. It would explain his ability to lead and manipulate people. He certainly doesn't mind being around people, speaking in public, gathering a group a friends... etc... He's kind of bored with life, but he also is disgusted by the world...

Ryuuk would be ENTP, Light ENTJ. The defining differences being that Ryuuk is just bored out of his mind and wants to be entertained. Light thinks he's actually the savior of the world. Since Light is a lot like Lelouch (I think I've heard that Lelouch is an ENTJ), well they're probably the same type.

(The INTJ board thinks Lelouch is an ENTJ)

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I don't think that Light and Lelouch are very similar. Light thinks himself to be a god, Lelouch is only after revenge. For both, people are simply tools to get what they want.
We see Light never really with other people besides the police members. He doesn't seem to be interested in other people. In fact, his world view is quite calvinistic, believing that humans are bad and enslaved to sin. In his eyes, only a god can save humanity. So it seems logical that he tries to stay away from the "sinful" people. He only adores his (INFJ-)father and has an intellectual respect for L. Mind you that introverted doesn't mean hermit.

Scourgexlvii

Local time
-->
I think it's been pretty well confirmed that L is an INTP. How could you call those sudden, unorthodox methods J?

Well, honestly, I see him as a planner. While unorthodox, he was very meticulous on how he would go about in his investigations, and it always felt to me as if he were treating the investigation like a game of chess, which speaks to the association given to INTJs as Chess-player like minds.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
My analysis:
Light is an extraverted thinker, it is the function he uses to communicate with the world. He is a J as every one of his actions is planned in some way. He's most likely N, as he tends to see possibilities and connections between things. And he is most likely an introvert, he is relaxed when he is on his own, and he treats any sort of interaction with other people - including ryuk- as a chore. So Light is INTJ.

L is a strange one, he is definitely INT, but whether he is P or J is blurred slightly due to his aptitude for planning. I would describe him as a P type who has created an artifical J using the sum of his N and T, his plans are not the deliberate and constructed type that a J would create, he analyses structures and patterns which are already in place and bends them to his needs.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
To some extent human beings, no matter what type, have to plan.

Let's just get the stupid thing out of the way first. Everywhere I've looked, all the forums I've been on, identify L as an INTP. I'm prone to believe several different sources that come upon the same conclusion more correct.

L plans some things, but during his arch he ends up doing a lot of random crap his successor Near doesn't.

Let's remember what I just said, planning is something that must be done to a certain extent. You can't simply say that L plans, therefore he's a P type. Everyone plans, if you didn't plan anything you couldn't easily survive. In the case of that point though, L has Watari and Watari does a lot to help L. He couldn't survive without the assistance of other people.

That's extreme, no real human being is like that.

But let's look at L's behavior from the get go. He chooses to investigate the sudden unexplained deaths of inmates because he wants to. There's no schedule for L, he doesn't have a list of projects to work on. He just takes whatever interests him.

Let's contrast that with Near and Mello. Mello doesn't go with what was previously planned, he walks out and decides to do things his own way. Near could've done that as well, but instead he sticks to the previous plan and with the people he has (which is hugely beneficial for him anyhow).

In the past L has had to command police departments, he can't afford to be careless with people's lives. For the sake of directing a team he has to have direction. Some of that is obviously learned, though experience.

L's Planning (investigation wise) and Decision making are spontaneous. He isn't thinking that far ahead, that's why he gets himself into bad situations. He's going on interest and a gut feeling.

L doesn't plan to go to Light's school, that's something that comes after the hidden camera investigation. He springs that on the police department after meeting with his team, which is something that he's never done before (it's spontaneous and supposedly a sign that he's serious about the case). He does tell them what he's thinking of doing and has the belts for them. But that might've been some of Watari's doing, seeing as he's the one responsible for the belts.

L merely has a hunch about Light when he takes the entrance exam and tells Light, (in all places- at the entrance ceremony) that he is indeed L. Despite the fact that this SCENE was planned. L doesn't think too far beyond that, though he may have hoped for Light to join them. Then again, I don't think he dwelt on that, he realized, as is stated in the anime and manga, that he'd put Light in a corner by telling him that he's L (if Light were Kira).

L is not like Near, where he makes complicated plans and has back up plans. He thinks to put a road block where he can, maybe so he doesn't have to plan too far into the future. He likes working spontaneously.

I think it's when they're getting into the Second Kira scenario that, suddenly, L realizes they need more TVs.

There isn't a hand book on how to run your state for Wammy's kids, but Near already knows to have more screens than any person could watch, except for him. I don't know if this was an ability that only Near had or if L did too. I thought maybe L did as well... That's besides the point. Near's station is already planned out and he doesn't change it, aside from his various toys (and the situations he's forced into).

There's another instance where L acts spontaneously that I can recall off the top of my head. The situation with Matsuda. They throw together this plan for Matsuda to "die". Which I think was more like L thinking "I want him to die". Anyway, L finds himself having to play the part of a medic and he express his distaste for having to do so. This actually ends up working out well, because Misa is smarter than they thought (or has her moments).

Where L really *beeps* up is with Rem.

Near is in a shittier situation with Mello on one side and the Japanese task force on the other. When he's under siege he has a back up plan. Dump a million dollars on the greedy bastards and escape in riot gear while everyone else is confused (this probably means he already knows where they're relocating to as well). He also knows, before the Japanese Police hand over the notebook, that he's screwed if they hand it over. He already knew what was going to happen. Near plans ahead as far as he can.

But looking at behavior only does half the justice.

The important thinking difference with INTJs and INTPs is simply whether or not they're willing to work off of conclusions.

L experiments. Most of his method is experimentation. Wait and see, then do. He makes short term plans.

Near and Light's method is planning. They make conclusions, then plan in the case of that problem.

An INTP experiments to find a good way and may not dismiss other ways for a long time.
An INTJ can't think without making conclusions. They find the best way and then they do it.

In practice it makes INTJs the winners at chess games. INTJs are far ahead of the game, unless an INTP knows chess really well and what amateur moves to avoid.

Light is probably an NTJ. He plays chess with L. That's how their story works out.

Light makes plans and L moves accordingly. It's all the more important to note that L works off of hunches. While Light works off of conclusions.

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
-->
I have only recently found this great anime. To me the following are true but up for possibilities.

Light is definitely INTJ.

Ryuk reminds me of ESFP but I haven't finished the entire season.

L is xNTP. I can't tell if he is E or I it seems like a toss up really. He is definitely running on Ne's possibilities. I am not sure how much INTPs rely on Ne as an ENTP would. He does do a typical social experiment that could be attributed to ENTPs but I really don't know if INTPs use their Ne for tricks like that such as you would have seen on the second episode when he acts like he shows his face.

Those are the only characters I have seen thus far.

kibou

Local time
-->
Nobody here thinks Light is an INFJ? :P His social adapting as well as his acting is very much Fe.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
Nobody here thinks Light is an INFJ? :P His social adapting as well as his acting is very much Fe.
Not just light but I would say L is also based off the INFJ configuration.

Se fetish - check (over indulgence in sweets)
Natural Method Acting talent - Check
Constant long range planning - Check
Eccentric and Isolated Lifestyle - Check
Fear of being seen - Check
Goes off of Hunches more than he does Logic - Check
Very Directive - Check

L has way more checks in favor of INFJ then he does in favor of INTP, but you'd need to actually know what Ni-Fe-Ti-Se actually means to see why. He is Ti'ed out of his mind, true, but realistically INTPs just don't act the way he does. It is so weird how people that use MBTI kind of just "forget" that the INFJs are Ni doms, which means they are going to be just as mastermindy as the INTJs, but in their own ways.

But of course, he is only a fictional character.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
How? What do you mean by Tied?
Okay say "Ti"

Now add a "D" sound at the end, "Ti'd"

I mean L rigorously broke down his work and analysis into logical principles, and even kept his Ti locking down his Fe so he would not make any missteps, or assume too much about the Kira case.

So yeah, he was cold, calculating, chilly, dispassionate, Ti'ed out of his mind, but I say still an Ni dom.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I've just finished watching the first 12 episodes. I will admit I have had my biases about anime - mostly due to certain acquaintances I had back in college - but I have really enjoyed Death Note thus far.

I'm kind of pleased to see that Adymus agrees, but I couldn't help but feel that Light and L were both INFJ. Like Adymus said, I thought this was more strongly expressed in L's character. It's the whole theme of anonymity and questions of identity that run through the show - it is all very Ni rooted. Ni-Fe just has a tendency to abstract itself as it can understand a totality of different perspectives. I think deep down while INFJs can come up with many theories they have difficulty in truly understanding themselves. It is why themes of method-acting or becoming an abstract, such as 'L' or 'Kira' lend itself to them.

It upsets me to see this P/J bias in the typing. L doubts himself therefore he is P (open-minded) just shows a lack of understanding Ni. Ni users have a tendency to doubt themselves because they can pick up on multiple perspectives. They need the most information to come to a conclusion (which perhaps is why L consistently doubts that Light is Kira until he is more certain.)

And yes feelers can still think, lol.

In like the second episode it ends with Light and L both saying "I am justice". I am sorry but if you ever encounter characters that will associate themselves with abstracts, or wish to become an abstract in such a way, you are looking at an Ni dom. It is why they make such fascinating characters.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:03 PM
-->
I agree that Light uses a lot of Ni and Ti, similar to L. I would say though that L is an unhealthy INFJ (schizoid) and Light is a healthy ISTP (not avoidant), going strictly on the function orderings that they have. Light had a very different way of wanting to organize the world in a very logically structured way, whereas L was pretty much the opposite in this comparison.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:33 PM
-->
L = INTP.

I - He doesn't have any friends, he doesn't go outside etcetc

N - He is working with concepts that he cannot see in front of him.

T - He is profoundly logical and unemotional.

P - Working with probability is what he does the entire show. All the time he suspected Light, he was admitting that it was very improbable, but it was the best lead he had.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
-->
For L I would say INTP was the character they were at least trying to hit, but the writers probably gave him some different attributes to be able to make it work. As for Light INFJ would be my guess, I can't imagine him an ISTP.

terraxceles

Fufufufu.
Local time
Today 12:03 PM
-->
(...) Light is a healthy ISTP (not avoidant), going strictly on the function orderings that they have. Light had a very different way of wanting to organize the world in a very logically structured way, whereas L was pretty much the opposite in this comparison.

I'm not sure if he wanted to logically organize the world, or if he simply wanted to get his away, but his resentment towards the external world is more indicative of inferior Se than anything. I'm not sure if ISTPs can dissociate so heavily from Se, being that it's their auxiliary function.

IMO, Light is an inferior Se type, i.e. INFJ or INTJ.

ransomNote

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:03 PM
-->
i think that Light is an INFJ, with a suppress Fe function.
we have to see the underlying reason of his usage for death note. its for a mere purpose of justifying the bad to promote the good.
naivety in Lights vision correlates to the INFJs desire to interfere in others welfare. Impossible Lights is an INTJ(introverted feeler) when his vision comes from seeing other people suffering and the rotten in bad people. he wants to eliminate bad people, its a really idealistic view.
and from his thoughts (Light) he usually could figure out scenarios of what certain people will do (like how he state 'businessmen will use death note for a career, a child will throw it away, etc etc) and how he could read L's opinion in an episode where they are still stuck in handcuffs.
T is his tertiary function, that's why there will be scenes where Light will study seriously, while NT's wont be that proper when they study. Lights character portray Hitler(INFJ)

while L is probably an INTP. INTJ will not be random like L. He is impulsive, while J's are systematize. He is more of a single minded professor, in many scenes from the manga and the anime L will sit in his hideous manner and detach from existence. He will have unrealistic beliefs about 'his analyzing capability will decrease if he sit properly'. an we could feel intimidating vibes and leadership charisma from an intj. when soichiro yagami first met L they dont really respect him that much. the unwillingness of L to be control, and control other people? you can see that it is very awkward for him to direct people when he is eye to eye. he never look at the people that his demanding right? INTJ will look right in to your eyes.
He looks more of an introverted thinker(he perform much better by him self) and will point his thought if its already been carefully analyze. while INTJ's are an extroverted thinker, so he will talk from one topic to another topic in a more flexible way.
intj's are more sure of their convictions, different from L, he will talk if his in doubt, and leaving his conclusion up in his head. he will connect seemingly unrelated things to deduct the circumstances.

i think Near is more of an INTJ, he is a lot more sure of what he said. He appears cold, rational, and far more rigid. He uses direct communication style(a J thing)

Mello is an ENTJ, as extroverted sensing in on of the functions of an entj . because he is more show off-ish.

Ryuk isnt human so i think its weird to type him, but he's maybe an ENFP(You see how Light and Ryuk get along so well? they are match made from heaven :D). and rem is an ISFP

Misa is an ESFP

Soichiro Yagami is an ISTJ

Matsuda : ESFP
Mogi : ISFJ

ive read death note since i was in middle school, this is my favorite anime of all time. hoping to see the american remake death note movie soon.

ransomNote

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:03 PM
-->
whoa O.o i look at my post and it sound over reaching hahahaha im just addicted i think :D
but it is a great anime though so its worth the excessive adoration.

Lydia

What?
Local time
-->
Going back to this threads date. I speak from there, and in my analyses:

Light Yagami - is either ENTJ, INTJ or 'possibly' an INFJ. He's a bit of a hard one to type, though. Since before he had the Death note, he was acting more like an ENTJ. After he picked the note book up and experimented with it. He began to be Introverted in a sense that his inner world was dominant and he was confident to bring it out. He likes to see where his visions are going and what 'tool' he could find along the way to help him succeed in it. He was choosing carefully who to kill off and who to use. Sometimes he gives me a feeling, of an INFJ. I thought his vision 'itself' was slightly childish, but the way he was handling it was impressively smart. He also had good communication skills, in which case INFJ's are good at if they want to make change. But still... I am hung between INTJ and INFJ.

L - is a concrete INTP. Though his attitude and behavior is extremely calm and full of calculated thoughts. That is not what makes him entirely an 'INTP'. But he moves forward, with his perceptive skills and analyses to a degree of accuracy. He doesn't conclude his thoughts, but rather makes conclusions in the 'way' he does stuff and for an answer.

Ryuk - came across as an ENTP to me first. But looking at him a little more, I have come to the decision that he may well be 'ENFP'. I know for a fact he is 'NF', so by looking at all the personalities within that category. ENFP is his type.

Misa - ESFP, if anybody has come to the guesses that she is 'ENFP'. I highly doubt that, because she stands with no purpose, no goal, no differences and does not exactly see Kira/Light for what his intentions are and how he thinks for the world. She is merely vulnerable to her weaknesses, the fact that he is: "Tall, handsome, strong" and to no extent, caring. All she has the ability to do for an individual is to be 'devoted' for the moment. She can easily replace Light with someone else if she wanted, its that easy. (and in my very 'personal' opinion. She is an annoyance).

Rem - is someone I haven't considered to the personality type yet. Looking at her, I believe whatever choice and decision she had made was all from devotion. Not to mention she was lacking in logic at some points, so she did it for her emotions and for Misa's. Considering that she is definitely an 'F'. She could be an I_FJ. Not sure whether she is intuitive. I only felt she was speaking longterm from the rules of the Death book, she was also thinking and talking all for the moment.

Zero-11

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Light is INFJ he knows people and he is concerned about being a murderer (Fe) he knows how to use chemicals and technical stuff (Ti) and has a long-term goal (Ni>Ne).

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Just for the record, since I seem to have posted here before:

What I understand as INFJ and ISTP is probably not what the average MBTI person understands as INFJ and ISTP.
That said, since I don't care much about MBTI-accepted ways of thinking about type, I don't care about my typings and would prefer if they were not considered or argued on MBTI terms.

Thanks. :)

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
U guys trying to type anime characters are funny... i find it to be even more ignorant than typing real people.

I think u guys should always keep in mind that MBTI is not science but merely almost random auto-descriptions... AUTO-descriptions !!!
It means that we answer the questions depending on the idea that we have of ourselves, the perceptions of ourselves. ANd since we cannot objectively judge ourselves, we might eventually see ourselves in a way that we are not.
Thus an emerging discrepancy between "imagined self", "objective self-perception", and" perception from the outter circle"...

The conclusion here is that INTP is nothing but a way to describe ourselves.... and thus it is a label that we should assign to ourselves and almost never to others since it means projecting an idea on someone.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
U guys trying to type anime characters are funny... i find it to be even more ignorant than typing real people.

I think u guys should always keep in mind that MBTI is not science but merely almost random auto-descriptions... AUTO-descriptions !!!
It means that we answer the questions depending on the idea that we have of ourselves, the perceptions of ourselves. ANd since we cannot objectively judge ourselves, we might eventually see ourselves in a way that we are not.
Thus an emerging discrepancy between "imagined self", "objective self-perception", and" perception from the outter circle"...

The conclusion here is that INTP is nothing but a way to describe ourselves.... and thus it is a label that we should assign to ourselves and almost never to others since it means projecting an idea on someone.

And this is why I prefer not to stick with MBTI. The descriptions mask and hide the concepts behind them. Going back to Jung gave me ways to frame how someone relates their motivation and thoughts with existence, which aids me in differentiation and helps me appreciate other people in different ways, which is all I really wanted and something I thought other people wanted to. But maybe it's because I relate to enneagram 4 and most people aren't like this and don't care for a deeper understanding - I don't know.

Reality is Optional

Social Rebel
Local time
-->
I've always wondered what the various Death note characters are, Namely L, Light, Misa, Ryuk and Rem

I'm guessing L as an INTJ, Light as an ISTJ(?), Misa as ESFP, Ryuk as ENFP(?), and Rem as INFJ(?). How about you guys?

Okay, I have to say this:

You just said L is an INTJ on an INTP forum. Do you have a death wish, or something?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Let's kick his ass for thinking differently! :beatyou:

KISS
Local time
-->
They are seem different, but L and Kira(Light) are all INTP.

Top Bottom