• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Dancing?- thoughts-

EFM

Arouet
Local time
Today 1:02 AM
-->
First off I'd like to say,
Yes- I am an INTP"
NO- I'm not an INFP
YES- I am positive

Now to the topic mentioned in the title. I personally enjoy dancing, but not as the social activity. I can dance alone or in a group(I cannot however stand direct contact). I'm not overly self-conscious when I do dance. Is this an anomaly?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:02 PM
-->
Love it.

And no, you are not an anomaly, you are just not insecure about partaking in public social rituals.

(I cannot however stand direct contact)
Well, at least you are working on it.

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
Today 6:02 AM
-->
how do you not get bored if the rhythm stays exactly the same for 5 minutes?

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Dancing is fun! So long as I am in a large group and we all look equally ridiculous.

There is nothing as hilariously awkward as ballroom dancing lessons, but they are great for curing the dislike of touch. :p

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 8:02 AM
-->
Ballet ♥

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Dancing is fun! So long as I am in a large group and we all look equally ridiculous.

There is nothing as hilariously awkward as ballroom dancing lessons, but they are great for curing the dislike of touch. :p

*nods* I've always found I enjoy dancing depending on who I am with. I have to trust someone a lot to dance with them lol.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:02 PM
-->
I've always hated dancing, some mean DJ made everybody dance that wedding I attended once, I practically could cry.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 7:02 AM
-->
Nothing strange about it, I don't think.
I used to dance semi-professionally, then I realized it was turning into a profession so I stopped :D

I still enjoy it quite a lot, just don't do it on a regular basis.
Funny thing is that even though I know I'm good :rolleyes: I still get very selfconcious when doing some types of dance my body is just not designed to do :o (i.e. I always felt that all African dances I tried would require my body to be twice the size it is if I was to do them properly)

I generally feel comfortable dancing any stile that includes lightness and elegance while anything that is includes to much ass-shaking or very forceful movement generally makes me feel like I'm a badly made robot.

I love watching dancing almost more than dancing itself, though. Good dancing, bad dancing, even average dancing :) Never seems to get boring.

Jesse

Internet resident
Local time
Today 3:02 PM
-->
Dancing is good. I have no idea what kind of person dislikes dancing. What's up Dove Eyes?

Sosekopp

Local time
-->
Same here! I have a huge deficiency in balance and body coordination, but when I attend parties there are always some songs I enjoy dancing to. Freestyler is a good example. Freestyla raka maka fon! :storks:

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:02 PM
-->
I love dancing. I was obsessed with ballet as a child. I used to take lots of different dancing courses, anything from traditional Norwegian dancing to Latin, Jazz ballet and hip-hop. For a while I frequented a Spanish dancing-restaurant with another friend, where you could dance with any stranger and still be left alone when you wanted. It was great fun and good excercise too.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Skanking?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I love dancing on an aesthetic level if done by hot chicks good dancers. Wish I were a good dancer myself, but I have never gotten around to practice it.

Have anyone tried the kinect dancing game on xbox btw? It's great:)
Here is a review:
YouTube - Dance Central Review - Angry Joe

Stigmata

Local time
Today 12:02 AM
-->
Even the thought of dancing pushes me toward hyperventilation, and while I'm breathing in a brown paper bag in what seem like futile attempts to regain my composure, I get these vivid mental images of me attempting to dance, tripping or falling, breaking my leg in a way causing the bone to burst through the skin, and slowly bleeding out on the dance floor while everyone else in attendance is laughing and mutating into giant pitchfork wielding demons, all the while hurling me with boiling hot tomatoes while I'm begging for someone to assist me.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
freestyle club dancing - enjoy
dancing that requires step memorization and reproduction - *holds up a cross*

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"Dancing is good. I have no idea what kind of person dislikes dancing. "

I do. Someone who is extrrreeemely self conscious and convinced he/she is quite obviously doing it so ineptly that everyone else in the room is almost exploding trying to politely keep their derision masked.

That's who. You may assume the obvious about my attitude toward dancing. Here's a clue if you need it: :storks:

(Footnote: I have reason to believe quite a few people are at least uneasy about dancing in public. During a stint as a wedding reception organizer (long, boring story) I realized there are three things necessary to get everyone, rather than just a few people, dancing: 1. relative darkness 2. at least some alcohol 3. not enough chairs for everyone to sit. Taking chairs and tables away after dinner to "clear room for dancing" means people are already on their feet.
A potential 4 would be slow dance music rather than something fast. Simple is better. Call for a tango and you'll have the two smarmy yuppies who took lessons out there while everyone else refreshes their drink. Put up something slow and sappy out of the 1940s or 1950s and just about everyone is out there shuffling around and figuring it's just a kind of slow wandering about that requires no flagrant movements.)

Stigmata

Local time
-->
While slightly ridiculous, my fear of dancing stems from a previously life-altering experience I had in back in the days of yesteryear. In my junior high days I reluctantly attended my school's yearly themed end of the year. As it was back then, I was already nervous as it is about dancing publicly, as at that point I hadn't yet had the opportunity to truly perfect the routine of moves I'd been working on in my garage prior to this day. As the party starts to get liven up, and everyone begins shifting their attention to the dance floor, I figured this was the time to make my grand entrance. I drop my denim jacket on the ground, and literally the jacket falls to the ground in slow motion, and the sound upon contact with the floor sounds like rounds of a 12 gauge shotgun had just been fired off in a small summer cottage full of illegal Cambodian refuges, and the entire room shifts their attention to me. In my head I'm thinking "It's fuckin' go time!"

Now, I make my way toward the dance floor and everything is going great up until this point; I'm nailing everything I'd been working on perfectly. Now this is where it takes a sharp decline. I'm not sure if it was the adrenaline or the roar of the crowd in complete harmony with the beautiful rhythm I'm making with my feet, but I attempted to go for this move I'd practiced a few times in my garage sessions but never really executed correctly, and gave up on just because of how dangerous it was. What was "SUPPOSED" to happen was a spread my appendages out in the air and catch myself within mere seconds of making contact with the ground and then proceed to do a 360 spin with only the body support of my toes and fingers; What actually happened was not so pretty.

I jump, spread my arms and legs, and at this point I'm totally feeling like this is my time. as I'm coming down, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye which distracts me, and I end up coming down with my tongue out and landing square on my chin, causing me to bite down on my tongue. What happened was I bit through about 60% of my tongue, and blood is squirting everywhere, causing the entire room to go into a panic. I'm screaming my head off and shooting blood and saliva around the room while watching my severed tongue flop around the room, all the while watching in horror as a room full of prepubescent teenagers are screaming, crying, and vomiting profusely, and all the administration is watching this entire event take place in pure horror. Don't ask me how,but at one point in the evacuation process, someone spilled a half empty can of sprite on an open electrical outlet, which cased a small fire to break out. I eventually caught the tongue and tried to tape it back together, but to no avail.

I now have half my tongue missing, and my verbal communication skills are only comparable to actually trying to decipher said by Donald Duck. I also haven't danced since that day, and am in the process of working the bouts of Post Traumatic Stress I incurred from the aftermath of that incident. Fuck dancing; It ruined my life.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hey, that's a perfect description of what I EXPECT to happen every time I'm called upon to dance.....

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 2:02 AM
-->
I enjoy dancing. It's a great form of self-expression. But just as Fukyo, dances with steps and memorization are not good for me.

EFM

Arouet
Local time
-->
I now have half my tongue missing, and my verbal communication skills are only comparable to actually trying to decipher said by Donald Duck. I also haven't danced since that day, and am in the process of working the bouts of Post Traumatic Stress I incurred from the aftermath of that incident. Fuck dancing; It ruined my life.

Reactions: 1. return feet from above my head to ground.
2. Retreat the vulnerable little worm from the hellishly sharp grasp of my own teeth.
3. lose my appetite...

That sounds horrible... I'm not even sure if I believe that actually happened... I can't discount it in my mind... I'm sorry... also my eyes are dilated and I'm shivering.

Particle

Bazooka Tooth Dental
Local time
-->
Dancing? Heck no. I'm way too self-conscious for that. While in reality nobody would give a crap if I can dance well or not when there are dozens of people out on the dance floor, I can't get over the underlying feeling that not only are they watching but so are 3000 people behind a two-way mirror who have all gathered there for the sole purpose of waiting until I do something stupid so that they might be able to mock me in concert. There is certain to also be a live network feed being sent to everyone on the planet with a television. The rest will be mailed a postcard with a review of my mistakes so that no man, woman, or child on this planet is left out.

There is also a perception by those who know me that I don't dance or do anything that social. I really don't envy them bringing up "Oh! How about that other night, Mr. Doesn't Dance? *huge cheesy smile*" every day for the next two months. So, to avoid this is also a reason to not start.

Furthermore, I just don't feel music in that way. I'm the kind of person who really gets into music within their mind. As a consequence, I don't really feel any moves--I'd just be imitating what I think others are expecting. If you aren't dancing for your own benefit, what's the point?

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:02 PM
-->
Furthermore, I just don't feel music in that way. I'm the kind of person who really gets into music within their mind. As a consequence, I don't really feel any moves--I'd just be imitating what I think others are expecting. If you aren't dancing for your own benefit, what's the point?

Yeah, exactly. People think I'm holding myself back - I'm not. Those moves aren't just itching to get out ma booty. They're not there. Very occasionally, it does move me physically, and I don't feel any restraint, though my friends might wish I did. :angel: Generally though the adrenaline seems to be directed towards recreating the music itself, not expressing it physically. Oh god, I just realised I'm probably one of those people passionately conducting along to the opera.

I wonder why though - why aren't we moved that way? Could it be related to not being a very physical person in general? What's your sex drive like? (Too personal? :D)

I've been thinking lately that the reluctance to dance in the presence of others might have some relation to the reluctance for intimacy of any sort. Public dancing involves nakedness (at least where I go :eek:) and through that appraisal by and interaction with others. It's Fe, and we're anti.

I should create a poll asking about sexual intimacy and its correlation with emotional intimacy for INTPs. Is the latter a prerequisite among non-dancing/repressed INTPs? What would that say about people who need emotional intimacy? Is it just a security blanket? Would we all be getting it on on the dance floor if we carried knitted quilts with us? Is that what Adams really meant by 'towel'?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I dowanna dance don make me. The only time I enjoyed dancing was when my wife and I went to some wedding and we found an isolated place in the vestibule near the elevators. There was music coming over the loudspeakers. We both had a good time. (She is only a little better than I am.)

Don't ask me to dance again. I'd rather die.

I do like watching break dancing though.

Particle

Bazooka Tooth Dental
Local time
-->
That's a really good idea, Cheese. As for my personal intimacy, it's not very personal since there isn't any. I'm Catholic, so fortunately I get to hide behind that. That is, I theoretically could. I've not actively pursued dating. Too much pressure, too much possible rejection. I'd need to find another INTP I think so that they'd know exactly what's going on.

RedN

Local time
-->
dancing

Theres no place to post this since i dont think this is music so...

any of you dance? ... yeah even if you just do in your bedroom alone em i think that counts

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
Re: dancing

I like dancing, but I suck at it.

RedN

Local time
-->

one thing ive learned just recently is... dancing isnt about the moves or the style that its more on the expression of feelings.

i think i suck in style. im new to all of this, just started dancing this feb? ive never everrrrr been to a dance club prior. i was too shy ok.

now its become important to me.

hey how do you dance A? brazil... dont you do samba there?

add:
ive been thinking of learning how to pop lock and breakdance a little. but i think i really need to be fit first.

you know at first i really just got into dancing to lose weight. but... hahahaha. i havent lost a single pound htough. i seem to be getting smaller ina way but im still the same on the scale ugh

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
I do some occasional... you could call it dancing, if I'm having a nice day and listening to my favorite songs on my own. I think I'd make a hit on youtube if someone happened to see me, though.

But what I meant was dancing with someone. I did know how to samba a few years ago. Didn't have the chance to practice it, though. In the clubs they play mostly Sertanejo Universitário (College Sertanejo), Pagode and, here in the south, Gaudéria, which is the equivalent to USA country music, but it's not that similar really, attached an example at the end of the post. I'm not a fan of the music but the rhythm is good for dancing, specially with someone you're interested in, since the lyrics are usually about love, sex and cheating lol.

People here have the bad habit of listening to this at high volumes 24/7 so it becomes kind of annoying. There are a lot of haters because of that - with whom I partially sympathize. Although I like the dancing, I suck at it. I just lack practice I guess, being an INTP I'm not a clubbing type you may have guessed.

(please note that the following examples doesn't reflect what I like to listen at home)

Sertanejo Universitário - you might happen to know Michel Teló from "Oh, If I catch you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogD8UDiMe1g

This is a mix of Pagode and Samba I guess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKC8yP_PDrk

Vaneira, a kind of Gaudéria mostly played on clubs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LB6_G2b6KM

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
I think you could say most clubs here are 50/50 electronic music (house, etc) and those I posted above. Some clubs have a dancing area in which they only play those of the post above and another area where they only play house and stuff. Other clubs play house 'til x am and then the other music styles... Most have bands, some have only DJs... I think you could say that every club here is a "dancing club", the ones that play exclusively rock being an exception.

Something I heard is that clubs in the US open sooner than here. Officially the parties usually start at 11pm, but there's only a reasonable amount of people in the clubs from 1am on. I usually get there midnight and leave 3, 4am. Some people like to stay until the club closes, usually at 6am. - note I'm assuming you're american.

PS: Although this is called dancing, I can't see why:
DancingTao.JPG

Call me old-fashioned but I understand dancing as being this:
draft_lens6512751module52421311photo_1250605247square_dancing.png

MichiganJFrog

Rupert Pupkin's stalker
Local time
-->
I used to enjoy slam dancing. Then I woke up one day after a night in the pit, and even my hair hurt. That was pretty much it.

I would love to be more comfortable with the normal kind of dancing, but I'm just not.

RedN

Local time
-->
the places that i go to are: 10pm to 3am, 9pm to 2am.

i started trying industrial dancing but im becoming more of an electro/tecktonik type and now im starting to change to i dont know... something else? hahahahah maybe infuse a bit of hip hop into the mix?

i just recently saw the lombard twins dance and hahah wow. wish i can move like that.

im still aching really from last friday's ugh... later i think im going again but its closer, its a smaller place but well its got a dance floor hahaha. and i still have work tomorrow.

i asked dad if it can work if i can buy a portable snap on dance floor and put it on top of the carpet in my bedroom - i converted my bedroom to something like a closet haha and im thinking of turning it into that so i can practice some new stuff here.

i still wish i can just... .... .. find someone i can dance with. i have friends but... i dont know i ... its an interesting feeling to dance for someone with his eyes just focused on you its... hahahahahah whatever

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 8:02 AM
-->

Theres no place to post this since i dont think this is music so...

any of you dance? ... yeah even if you just do in your bedroom alone em i think that counts

I dance in my bedroom alone. I also dance when I'm walking and listening to music (after making sure there's no one around, but secretly hoping that there is...). This morning a couple of old ladies saw me dancing in a park...

EDIT: I once broke a toe dancing alone in my room :/

RedN

Local time
-->
hey beholder, youre not turning into an exhibitionist are you hihihihi.

you know all of a sudden you made me think of magic mike... one of the em... other joys of watching someone ... em dance. oh godddddd i want to a live one. can someone take me to such a place???!?!!!!??!?! uhrhagrhagrgayrgargajgy

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:32 PM
-->
I find it really difficult to dance unless I'm absolutely plastered, in which case I will stumble around challenging people to dancing competitions and proceed to win them (self proclaimed). I've never lost.

I think comfortable dancing requires some sort of immersion that I am incapable of without mind-altering substances.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Which I almost always find myself dancing upon ;)

RedN

Local time
-->
just dont drink too much eh hahahaha and end up feeling the girls up instead of dancing hihihihi

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Girls are gay, tabletop dancing is where shit's at.

Oh and I don't mind that movement you do when listening to dubstep or metal. I don't know if it's classed as dancing, but by golly gee it's fun. It's like you have some sort of dance territory and you must viciously defend it with tooth and claw. Love it.

RedN

Local time
-->

RedN

Local time
-->

RedN

Local time
-->
HELL YEAHHHH I got breakdancing lessons every tuesdays starting next week weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant:

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
I dance at work, when I'v gotten most of my work done. I'll walk up to my co-workers and start kicking my feet out while doing something, anything really, with my hands. I'm not good, but I don't care. Dancing is fun. I remember watching a children's show, I think, by the name of "The Busy World of Richard Scarry". There was an episode where one character was scared to dance because she was bad. Then they told her the point of dancing is to have fun and it doesn't matter if you look good. A lot like karaoke. Ever since I saw that episode I've enjoyed dancing like a fool.:D

RedN

Local time
-->
well its true lot, and once you stop caring about what people think anyway it goes smoother. besides, we all have to start somewhere and no one is an instant expert on the first go.

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
I don't like dancing. It's boring and uninteresting. Only when I'm alone and extremely hooked up on coffee, and there's something with a "loading, please wait..." thing that prevents me from using my old machine, and since there is absolutely nothing else to do due to the lack of money, in case there's some music, I might move a little, though not in some style or whatever there is. So yea, that happens extremely rarely and only in very special circumstances. Would never happen if I had other activities, that require money.

RedN

Local time
-->
hey intpz, if a hot chick would ask you to dance with her would you?

when i think of it, i love dancing in the center. i have this weird desire to be the best dancer where i am, and it drives me to get better. i didnt used to feel this way before really... but it feels... well oddly nice when people watch me dance........

ughhhhhhhhhhh am i an esfp afterall?????

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I'm not a dancer in public. I'm pretty good in private but no one will ever know. :phear:

Top Bottom