• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Confused INTP! What should I get my degree in?

Klaista2k

Redshirt
Local time
Today 11:50 PM
-->
I'm going back to school soon to get my degree, and an having a really hard time figuring out what to study!

I find psychology really interesting. But it's probably not the best idea due to lack of jobs?

Another option is MIS (management information systems) is this considered a good degree? Even though I'm an INTP I'm not sure working with computers would be the most exciting thing in the world. LOL

Then there's the science route. Would a degree in chemistry or biology be a good idea for an INTP? Would there be a lot of job opportunities available?

Any advice on what I get my degree in?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 4:50 PM
-->
Why do you think you're an INTP, are you sure? You could be INTJ or ISTP and it's important to nail down your type before discussing degrees.

When you were a kid did you have uncontrollable emotional outbursts?

What is your body type? Ectomorph, mesomorph, etc?

How much do you know about how many fields?

Klaista2k

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Why do you think you're an INTP, are you sure? You could be INTJ or ISTP and it's important to nail down your type before discussing degrees.

When you were a kid did you have uncontrollable emotional outbursts?

What is your body type? Ectomorph, mesomorph, etc?

How much do you know about how many fields?

I took a test online that said I was INTP.

I looked it over and everything does make sense. (so I'm assuming it's right)

Nezmith

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:50 PM
-->
You didn't answer all of his questions. He asked not for the sake of idle banter, but because people are known to be mistyped by online tests. Not even results from the official mbti test can be taken as written word; there are simply too many factors which can mislead you should you simply misjudge your own capabilities/desires at the time.

For reflection, I've observed several long-term members on this forum running around proclaiming the wonders of being an INTP, only to discover they've tested radically different only a few months, even weeks later (ESFP, INFJ, INFP from INTP [browse around if you care to see developments]; you can see why blindly jumping into the assumption you're an INTP may not be a good thing.)

And yes, body type is important. INTPs are currently undergoing a selective breeding process. There can be no corpulent INTPs! None!

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
You didn't answer all of his questions. He asked not for the sake of idle banter, but because people are known to be mistyped by online tests. Not even results from the official mbti test can be taken as written word; there are simply too many factors which can mislead you should you simply misjudge your own capabilities/desires at the time.

For reflection, I've observed several long-term members on this forum running around proclaiming the wonders of being an INTP, only to discover they've tested radically different only a few months, even weeks later (ESFP, INFJ, INFP from INTP [browse around if you care to see developments]; you can see why blindly jumping into the assumption you're an INTP may not be a good thing.)

And yes, body type is important. INTPs are currently undergoing a selective breeding process. There can be no corpulent INTPs! None!

Thanks, very well said. For some reason a lot of different people type themselves as INTP's. I've noticed the same with INFJ's, where many ENFX and ESFX type themselves as such. I think they see the INTP or INFJ in their inferior and so it appear attractive.

On the other side I first typed myself as an INFJ (if you can believe that - inferior siren call), then INTJ, then INTP.

Klaista2k

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Trust me I'm an INTP.

I've read up on it and it's definitely me.

What's so hard to believe about it? LOL

I'm just trying to figure out what the hell I should major in. Ugh confusing.

Stellar

Local time
-->

You didn't answer his questions. I think you should answer Architect's questions as he seems to be trying to help you out man.

I think you may be looking at the entire thing rather superficially. There's a lot more to MBTI than I/E S/N F/T J/P and it's not just a matter of if you're neat or messy. You'd have to read up on the functions and how they fit within how you work. It's not a matter of you agreeing with the INTP description although those are interesting to see if they correlate, it's a matter of dissecting the system for what it is, with it's flaws and all and understanding what the title means. You seem pretty stuck on INTP, but I suggest you read up on functions and then re-examine it all if you care for the typing to be accurate.

With that said, if you are still set on INTP - or not.
-If you prioritize excitement within a future career, look up careers which sound exciting to you and major in whatever it is that will lead you there.
-If you prioritize money, look up careers that have high salaries and focus on whatever majors lead you there.
-A degree in biology or chemistry is a good idea for anyone with excessive interest within those subjects as you will probably get bored to death if there is no interest behind it. Negating the excitement you seem to want in a job.
I wouldn't know how to determine if it's a "good idea for an INTP." It's not black and white. There are too many factors and it is too subjective IMO. Also, "Science" is a broad world, and it depends on the person and whatever shit gets their panties in a bunch.

I'd suggest you sit down (or stand) and think about what is most important to you in a future career, and then do your research. Look for jobs that fill that craving, whatever it may be.
You can look at job availability and projections online as well. The internet is your friend.

My 56 cents.
Good luck with it all.
Cheers.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 8:20 AM
-->
Trust me I'm an INTP.

I've read up on it and it's definitely me.

What's so hard to believe about it? LOL

I'm just trying to figure out what the hell I should major in. Ugh confusing.

Certainty in an INTP diagnosis sets off my mistyped alarm. If you are certain of anything, particularly something as... creative... as typology, it's unlikely that you are Ti dom. If you start posts with 'trust me', it's unlikely you're a Ti dom. If you're confused as to why poeple are questioning your judgement, it's unlikely you're a Ti dom.

Valentas

Local time
-->
Go to Personality Junkie and read about functions. All parts. Learn them really good. Then go and investigate various types of people(16 of them) and their functional stack. Then think whether this is what you mostly do. Tests are garbage and you can forget them. They have questions like: "You are never late for appointments" <- my answer is lol wut? or "when in a party you tend to be around the corners of the room" <- my answer is I don't go to parties. You get the point.

Also start coding if you claim to be INTP. If you find yourself interested in computers and thinking computer way which at first is annoying and after that phase you realize that it is better than talking with most the people: computer will do exactly what you tell it. Learn programming and if you hate it, then you have middle two letters to worry about IXXP/J because programmers tend to be T-dominants and either sensors(worker bees) or intuitives(architects of software)

Goog luck. Welcome to the Maze

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:50 PM
-->
I think they must be messing with you, with all these questions about whether you are some kind of ur-INTP. I have known people in all the fields you mention that are of all different types, so it doesn't really matter that much anyway.

I have also known many people with all kinds of degrees that ended up in some other field. What you pick won't define you forever, but it is important because you will have different options as a result of what you pick.

I find psychology really interesting. But it's probably not the best idea due to lack of jobs?

I don't know about the jobs or even much about this field, but I do know that it takes a long time for someone doing clinical psych to get enough unpaid hours (I forget if it is called an internship or whatever), and you have to get through a lot of lean times. INTPs can be very good at this (I think Nathaniel Brandon is one such example) but they tend to get frustrated. I don't know what non-clinical jobs would be an option.

Another option is MIS (management information systems) is this considered a good degree? Even though I'm an INTP I'm not sure working with computers would be the most exciting thing in the world. LOL

I did this job for 7 years and really loved it. However, since that time, I have seen it become more of a blue-collar job, where my job was white-collar. This is not a slam on blue-collar workers at all, just noting that it has changed over time, so be sure the descriptions you see are accurate.

MIS (now often called IT) involves carrying heavy things, waiting for software to load, and crawling under desks. It also requires patience, a problem-solving mentality, and lots of tools. It is a good job for a loner, but does require being able to interact well. My department compared it to being a bartender. People wanted to complain about their day, their boss, their stupid deadline, etc. They wanted us to give them an excuse for why they were late. They were defensive if we suggested they did anything to cause the problem, and sometimes tried to hide what really happened. You have to be a bit of a detective and a teacher in that job.

It also matters where you work. I was in a department that was mostly liked. If your IT department isn't respected, you could end up being very unhappy.

You can always do IT later. Just take the relevant classes, rather than getting a degree. Certification is cheaper and usually better for getting these jobs.

Then there's the science route. Would a degree in chemistry or biology be a good idea for an INTP? Would there be a lot of job opportunities available?

This is what I actually got my degree in, though my science was physics. I never worked in physics, but I have done lots of other things, like teaching, MIS, and accounting, and the physics degree was fine for all of them. I went to a lecture once by Freeman Dyson, about all the things you can do with a physics degree. I have friends with science degrees who have enriched soil for farmers in impoverished places, designed clothing, written video games, and run small businesses.

A science degree is a lot of work and you should really want it before you start one. Any science is probably fine for an INTP, depending on taste. I couldn't do biology because it is gross, and chemistry smells bad to me. Others don't have those reactions. Changing from one science to another isn't as hard as changing from any non-science to a science major.

I think you need to do more research yourself, though. Talk to people in various fields. Borrow a textbook and see if it sounds interesting. Ask students currently majoring in the fields you are interested in. Your decision making based on job prospects is sound, so you have already narrowed the choices well. At this point, explore a bit and then go with your gut feeling.

Also, the stuff about needing to like to code if you are INTP is nonsense. I can code, but it isn't super-interesting to me, nor to most of my INTP friends. We all do some from time to time but don't make a career of it. Probably it is worth learning at least one language. My INTJ husband loves it. There are tendencies for INTPs to like to code, apparently, but it certainly isn't an absolute.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Certainty in an INTP diagnosis sets off my mistyped alarm. If you are certain of anything, particularly something as... creative... as typology, it's unlikely that you are Ti dom. If you start posts with 'trust me', it's unlikely you're a Ti dom. If you're confused as to why poeple are questioning your judgement, it's unlikely you're a Ti dom.
Astute observation Hadoblado. Of that I am certain. Trust me:D.

Ink

Local time
Tomorrow 12:50 AM
-->
Way to derail a thread lol. I think this is a good example of INTP paranoia.

Ink

Local time
-->

Please tell me why Ti-doms would be less certain in their types than others

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
I'm going back to school soon to get my degree, and an having a really hard time figuring out what to study!

Regardless of your type, I'd actually recommend waiting a few years. Too many people rush this decision only to find themselves stuck on a wrong path.

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
-->
Follow your interests and do not settle on a "career" until find something that you can do for 9 hours a day without boredom.

You mentioned psychology, what is it about psychology do you like? Are you interested in helping people or studying the frameworks of the mind and research?

If you are an INTP, keep answering the questions of the posters. If you get tired of trying to figure it out after the first day of questioning, you are probably not a "P". if these posts in this thread does not give you a reason to rethink everything you have previously researched about typology, then you are probably not a "P"

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Please tell me why Ti-doms would be less certain in their types than others

Because typing is based on a myriad of inferences. Certainty is distilled from deduction. If you're a Ti-dom, you can't help but come up inconclusive, particularly if all you have to go on is some dodgy test result and some heresay (or can you??).

Aeroflot

Person man to the rescue
Local time
Today 3:50 PM
-->
Thanks a lot guys now I'm doubting my type again! :ahh: This must be one of the trick threads. "Ho, so you fink you're INTP? Fink again! You die, sir."

Can you take a class in each area during your first semester? If you can then that might give you the chance to experiment first hand and feel out what seems best for you.

I've got the same problem, so I'm taking computer classes and chemistry.

Be careful with biology as it's full of memorization. That can be a burden.

Ink

Local time
-->
Because typing is based on a myriad of inferences. Certainty is distilled from deduction. If you're a Ti-dom, you can't help but come up inconclusive, particularly if all you have to go on is some dodgy test result and some heresay (or can you??).

To some degree you're right I guess, but at some point you have to stop second guessing yourself. I see 5 questions in the OP though, that's a lot of questions right? Enough that I think mobbing him like this was unecessary :D

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Never stop second-guessing yourself.

Ever.

Logic trees are your friend.

Irishpenguin

Local time
Today 5:50 PM
-->
I'll have to agree with some people that this thread did seem to get derailed a bit. But that's just what tends to happen here. And aside from all that, I believe that You are putting far to much weight into the MBTI. The thing is, even if we knew FOR A FACT that you were an INTP it would still be a bad move to base such a huge decision off of that since all of this pretty much amounts to a still highly experimental form of Psychology.

Deciding on your degree should be something completely and utterly decided by you and looking inside yourself. Looking at Job opportunities and job pay's is a nice place to start. Though then you have to decide what you value more, Job Oppurtunities and pay or truly enjoying what you do. Of course having both is the best option, but for a younger person going for a job I just thing that is unrealistic.

I guess in summary: Stop trusting the MBTI so much and truly decide what you would like to end up doing for most of your life, and also remember, nothing is necessarily written in stone when it comes to life. You can always change carreers or try going for different degree's, not to mention how much I hear about how most people (Maybe more than 60-70% of people?) end up getting jobs that have NOTHING or next to nothing to do with their specified degrees.

^ wow wasn't that supposed to be a summary? Damn it's just a big as the other two paragraphs...I always suck at suck at summaries :o
If it helps I'm going through this same decision, and I am having to decide on roughly the same career fields (Psychology, science, computers) and for now I have decided to go for a networking focused degree since it seems easier to focus on and I know I will at least NOT HATE it if I get a job in that, but it's not what I plan on doing for life. So that's how I tackled my question for now, however that is just me :cat:

Top Bottom