• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Asking opinion.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:38 AM
-->
I am so smart I don't see the value in studying. Opinions, comments, questions? All are welcome here.

Local time
Today 11:38 AM
-->
Need for studying depends on what one is actually studying. The more complex, the more study and focus that's required to learn it. Otherwise:

Flamebait!
kill_it_with_fire-s670x394-93334.jpg

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I prefer to take things in bits a pieces. With a little info and some deep analysis creative solutions are inevitable for people like you and I.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 8:38 PM
-->
I view intellect and knowledge as different things. So study increases your knowledge about something but doesn't necessarily raise your intelligence.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
HAHA, but it can.

[Edit] HAHA, I'm going to do some homework now. Should be a breeze.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 3:38 AM
-->
What type of homework?

Was that statement supposed to be hypothetical? Were we supposed to criticize the idea as if someone were to actually have that sentiment? As far as school goes, some people can take the test without studying and get an A but it could depend on the subject and how interesting it might be to the person, as well as their capacity. There was this one class I took that I passed without studying for the tests, but I read all the assigned material. The subject could be said to be menial though. If I'm telling the truth, I wouldn't mind studying certain things most likely for some form of reassurance.

If you were looking into some advanced maths for whatever reason and could answer any question someone threw at you without assistance then that would be vaguely impressive and capable of inducing feelings of envy. If I was "hella smart" once I reached a certain point I might be able to see how "studying" could end up being fruitless i.e rabbit hole, then I might want to take a break for an undisclosed amount of time. If there were some information that seemed relevant to interests I can see how it would be tempting to want to spend time with it, if only to be making semi decent use of time. Some people would probably laud things that make people feel good and find those to be more valuable.. Never 24/7 though, it's all in hopes of putting it to good use, hence studying for tests.

Or you could have that demeanor which people would describe as one of those quiet individuals (mothafuckas) that just studies everything, but I'm pretty sure quiet isn't a requirement.

Cyon

Redshirt
Local time
-->
At some point, this quote may apply: "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." ~ Stephen Hawking. Now I'm not trying to say you're ignorant but rather only to emphasize the last bit.

Studying is harvesting for more information. More knowledge may lead to more complex analysis, which is to say more fun to stay in my head and entertain connecting ideas. Imo, since it's a physical world built fantastically for sensors, I'd rather study selectively the things I interest in...

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I prefer to take things in bits a pieces. With a little info and some deep analysis creative solutions are inevitable for people like you and I.
Creative and speculative, without going further into the picture you find a tendency to trivialise complex interactions and systems.

Depending on your arrogance you could be fine with almost nothing.

You tend to see a tree which in fact can be understood accurately after a while, however all it's connections and elements that constitute this system require hours of observations and analysis.

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Today 7:38 AM
-->

Then it was somewhat misleading to say you don't need to study, since "deep analysis" = study.

OP implies that valuing this form of study over the "academic" form follows from being smart. I think you're seeing the dependency in reverse: academic studying is less efficient at yielding results associated with being smart.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
I am so smart I don't see the value in studying. Opinions, comments, questions? All are welcome here.
If you are smart you only see what's in front of you. The value in studying is you come across what you won't see.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Silly BAP

trap.jpg

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I believe Cyon had the best response so far with BigApplePi as a close second.

I suppose I can share my thought process I had now.

To understand this statement we must first know what studying means. Then the next question becomes why would studying be irrelevant to something who is so smart.

To me, when I think of studying, the first thing that comes to mind is the memorization of data (Ick!). So, why would the memorization of data be irrelevant to something who is so smart? Basically the answer to this question is is that it matters more what conclusion one comes up with, with what information he already has. "But QuickTwist, how can you know information if you never study?" The answer to that is that we as humans are renown for reasoning out things compared to any other species on the planet. This makes us top dog. Humans are constantly taking in information subconsciously and making a conclusion about what information we have come across. This taking in of information can be done by simply surviving and engaging with the external world. Conclusion being in order to survive one does not need to study.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Studying is acquiring knowledge through reading, analysing, observing, investigating or researching. It is a particular way of learning and without it, we wouldn't be as advanced in subjects such as medicine. ;)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I guess you didn't take into account that I was just talking about my opinion.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
studying is doing whatever it takes to make a better grade than everyone else

if cheating is low risk, you should do that if it is easier

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Your standard of morals (or lack there of) is repulsive. Perhaps you should look into the idea that is what is best for the individual and the group is best for the group.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 12:38 PM
-->
Your standard of morals (or lack there of) is repulsive. Perhaps you should look into the idea that is what is best for the individual and the group is best for the group.

perhaps you should look into that the cock of academia is a nasty one you don't wanna suck

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Ohh... for me? Yeay! Seriously, I take it that whenever I share an opinion a little bit of Bronto dies. This actually helps him, apparently, because he has devoid it to share his opinion. Except to say that I suck, which, coming from his standpoint, I consider it a complement. Thank you Bronto. TTFN.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 12:38 PM
-->
you're very very defensive dude.

i'm just being regular blunt dickhead me getting a simple point across, ever so slightly mirroring your rhetoric.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
studying is doing whatever it takes to make a better grade than everyone else

if cheating is low risk, you should do that if it is easier
Cannot you study without any grading system? Just to study?
Or you were referring only to the Academic system?

I don't agree with the idea that studying is means to an end, it can be a goal in itself as well.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
Cannot you study without any grading system? Just to study?
Or you were referring only to the Academic system?

I don't agree with the idea that studying is means to an end, it can be a goal in itself as well.

I attach a negative connotation to "study-ing"

To me, studying implies some end goal, like to earn an "A" on a test. The word "student" reminds me of the institution of school.

When I'm reading up on a topic I'm really interested about, like MBTI for example, and I've got all these tabs open on my Chromse browser, hopping from one article to another, perusing internet forums, I don't consider that studying, even though I probably learn more online in settings like these than I would in a classroom.

I was literally addressing the problem of thinking one does not need to study if one is smart. The proof is in the grades, I guess. And, if the "dumber" person makes better grades than the "smarter" person... who really is the smarter person?

If you are smart enough to cheat and get away with it, that's teaching you a real life lesson, that in real life, you can cheat and get away with it.

I always remembered it was the smartest kids doing the most cheating anyways, or at least getting away with it. Weird how that works out. The average or dumb kids just didn't care enough to cheat, or they weren't creative enough, or they were so dumb they got caught.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->

[bimgx=250]http://www.thedistractionnetwork.com/images/animal-meme-161.jpg[/bimgx]

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
No, my argument was logical.

[Edit] You are by far the easiest person on the forum to trol....lololololololololol.

I however, get no satisfaction from proving you are an idiot. It just comes naturally.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
No, my argument was logical.

[Edit] You are by far the easiest person on the forum to trol....lololololololololol.

I however, get no satisfaction from proving you are an idiot. It just comes naturally.

how does me giving an opinion lead to you calling me an "idiot" when you said in your OP:

Opinions, comments, questions? All are welcome here.

and then you go angray chihuahua style like you're on the manic side of your bipolar day.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
@Bronto, I simply dismiss what I find irrelevant.

@Goku, LOL I just have to laugh.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Point taken. I will try to conduct myself in a less aggressive manner that doesn't involve personal insults without saying why I feel that way. I'll try to communicate when I turn into the hulk. Okey-day?

Top Bottom