• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Are you creepy/weird?

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 8:24 AM
-->
I've just found out half of my school thinks I'm 'creepy'. Because I tend to say whatever I mean/think, which might be abstract at times, or extremely flamboyant and exaggerated. For example, when someone shows me some drawing that looks alright, I might scream 'That's fucking AMAZING!' And take on some kind of cliché 90s commercial-like stance. It's just my kind of humor I guess, even though reading this it sounds pretty stupid. And it kind of became a habit. Just like drawing or writing whatever is on my mind. People always look kind of disturbed when I show them my drawings. And when I try to talk about my theories about life and the universe and such(things that seem to dominate this forum :)) they also look at me as if I'm talking gibberish.
This is kind of bothering me now. What if I truly am mad, and I've just somehow grown to see my insanity as normal? Is this common for INTPs? Do you have this too? How do you deal with colleagues/classmates like this? I'm getting more and more paranoid about this now.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
I'm average.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
Today 2:24 AM
-->
Nope, no weirdness here. Everyone else is weird for being too similar

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
What is it that makes
you "creepy", Dime?

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
What is it that makes
you "creepy", Dime?

Apparently not giving a damn about the norm makes you 'creepy'. Because anything that's unusual is scary I guess?

The thing is, that when I first came to this school I could get along with everybody alrightish, I wasn't regarded as creepy or anything. A few girls even liked me, but I just thought they were kidding or something. I kind of started getting annoyed by the similarity of everybody. Same clothes, same opinions, same tastes in music and television... I just started expressing my tastes for science-fiction, psychedelic music, surreal art, stuff like that. Unlike most others I am left-wing, they are right-wing.
I don't get how this makes me 'creepy' though. Weird, alright. That's close-minded as fuck, but I can see where that's coming from.

By 'they' I mean about 50% of my school.

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 3:24 AM
-->
I used to be creepy. Now i'm not such a creep.

It doesn't help to say I stalked a girl during my high school. After high school, though, I started to drink with friends, giving me a new perspective on things. And stopped being such a weirdo. But when I think about my past, even I must agree that I was a creep.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
Today 7:24 AM
-->
I believe I was considered somewhat creepy, in a sad, unsettling sort of way. Not actually a threat. Just awkward enough to make people shudder.

Bird

Banned
Local time
-->
Apparently not giving a damn about the norm makes you 'creepy'. Because anything that's unusual is scary I guess?

How are you unusual?
Because you don't
care about the norm?
I just want to make
sure I am understanding
this right. Unusual
equates creepy? Okay
then.

This seems very closed-
minded and vague.

I doubt you're properly
creepy. I would not worry
of the thoughts of your peers.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
People are always trying to "fit in" or find their place within the various dynamics they encounter in their lives. To do this, they believe (erroneously) that they have to migrate towards some social norms (whatever they are). When they encounter someone who they perceive is not seeking the same goal...well they assume something must be wrong with you. There isn't, quite the opposite in fact.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
How are you unusual?
Because you don't
care about the norm?
I just want to make
sure I am understanding
this right. Unusual
equates creepy? Okay
then.

This seems very closed-
minded and vague.

I doubt you're properly
creepy. I would not worry
of the thoughts of your peers.
Yeah, I just don't care about the norm.
I didn't make up the word creepy for this, others literally use that word to describe me, and I just don't get it. If they'd find me weird they'd say weird... Or maybe knowledge of the English language here is so bad that they think creepy equates weird.

People are always trying to "fit in" or find their place within the various dynamics they encounter in their lives. To do this, they believe (erroneously) that they have to migrate towards some social norms (whatever they are). When they encounter someone who they perceive is not seeking the same goal...well they assume something must be wrong with you. There isn't, quite the opposite in fact.
Yeah, I just thought this for a long while too. Until something in me just changed and wondered if maybe there is actually something wrong with me.
Is this a common thing for the INTP type?

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Yeah, I just don't care about the norm.
I didn't make up the word creepy for this, others literally use that word to describe me, and I just don't get it. If they'd find me weird they'd say weird... Or maybe knowledge of the English language here is so bad that they think creepy equates weird.

Yeah, I just thought this for a long while too. Until something in me just changed and wondered if maybe there is actually something wrong with me.
Is this a common thing for the INTP type?

Well certainly no one wants the word 'creepy' being used as a descriptor. There could be a lot of factors that "earned" you that one. Some you may not even be aware of. Hard to say without knowing you.

But there's one important thing you need to remember; you are in the 10th grade and so are your peers. Now if you still have this problem when you are 30, then worry about something being wrong with you. Right now you are in the most transitory times of your life and you don't know how you are going to turn out yet.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
That's how I feel too. Do others regard you as weird though?
I can only assume so. I leave people either nonplussed, or laughing; often at what I didn't intend to be funny...

If they bother you, just think of the person they would rather have you be. Then consider your own reaction to that person. I think then you will know what to do.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Well certainly no one wants the word 'creepy' being used as a descriptor. There could be a lot of factors that "earned" you that one. Some you may not even be aware of. Hard to say without knowing you.

But there's one important thing you need to remember; you are in the 10th grade and so are your peers. Now if you still have this problem when you are 30, then worry about something being wrong with you. Right now you are in the most transitory times of your life and you don't know how you are going to turn out yet.
Hmm, that's right. Still, I can't think of how I am creepy to others, I don't stalk people, I'm not into horror movies... I don't make inappropriate sexual moves on people... (That's what I regard as creepy!)

I can only assume so. I leave people either nonplussed, or laughing; often at what I didn't intend to be funny...

If they bother you, just think of the person they would rather have you be. Then consider your own reaction to that person. I think then you will know what to do.
Oh yes I do. :D

I think I know enough now. I'm not creepy or weird. People just like to regard people with opinions different than theirs as unusually weird/strange/insane. It still kind of pisses me off though that people are so close-minded. But that's just the view of a ***P probably.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 11:24 PM
-->
People always look kind of disturbed when I show them my drawings.
Lol you should have seen the look on this girl's face when I showed her my abstract drawings with space themes back in high school. She had hesitated and I knew she was thinking " This guy is nuts!". :p

But tell me, how did you come to the conclusion of half of the school? Or are you just exaggerating?

It's cool to be weird in high school though, take advantage. All the other kids who are trapped in their own self-perpetuating trends and stereotypes will never know the joy of being a weird teenager. Enjoy your freedom. :)

Oh yea, I'm weird as hell. :crazy:

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
I'm not exaggerating. I had a friend tell me what people say about me behind my back, haha. And those people happen to be the popular, leader-kind of folks... So I'm pretty sure. Or wait, I see what you mean now. Damn. Yes that was exaggerated. Half of the 10th grade probably, not the entire school. Bluh. Stupid.

Your drawings sound interesting, do you have a visual arts thread?

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:24 AM
-->
I'm average.
You're not an INTP, though.

Oh, and I do crazy stuff like that, too. However, people like when I do it. I think because I'm pretty. It seems that when someone does something original, people like it more or less in correlation with that person's aesthetic appeal.

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
-->
Yes, people think I'm weird because...I don't sleep? That isn't very weird. Maybe some other stuff, though.

How do I deal with them? Denial.

Speaking of creepy, I'm practicing creepy looks in the mirror, right now.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
@OP: not so much creepy, but more so eccentric. I've weirded people out with in depth technical discussions about how things work when all they wanted was some quick advise :/. It also doesn't help that i'm a gregarious individual so i always stick my nose into other people's bidnizz and harass them about their grammar or point out things they've missed.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Your drawings sound interesting, do you have a visual arts thread?

No, I don't. They're just 'doodle' kind of drawings, detailed, but not carried out with discipline. Highly creative though, I was in some alien phase.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
You're not an INTP, though.

Oh, and I do crazy stuff like that, too. However, people like when I do it. I think because I'm pretty. It seems that when someone does something original, people like it more or less in correlation with that person's aesthetic appeal.
Half of the people like it when I do it too.
But yeah, I've come to the conclusion... that this might be a very INTP thing, from what I hear from others.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Just a guess:

Never underestimate the possibility that people are secretly jealous of a 'creepy' person. Yeah, it's possible they're really just afraid of you, but unless you're really physically imposing, violent, or hint about harming people in a 'creepy' way (like shooting up the place), I'd doubt that's the case. It's more likely, imo, that you make people uncomfortable because you represent some repressed part of their personalities. In some sense they might even admire you, but they're not comfortable engaging/participating with your 'weirdness' and when asked about you they prefer to deny any admiration and instead default to calling you creepy, because they're not (yet*) willing to associate with you, as they are not yet comfortable with that repressed part of themselves.

See, I don't think most people really want to dismiss people that way, they're just uncomfortable. I put an asterisk next to 'yet' because I think most people, deep down, want to accept and get to know others, even those who seem a little off to them (maybe I'm projecting here, though). Most people seem to be really elastic when it comes to their opinions of others, at least when they're young. They may think you're a creep now, but in just a few days they could find themselves embracing you. All that's needed is some positive interaction to smooth out the initial 'ooh creepy!' defense mechanisms. They want to like you, they just need to know you're not an axe murderer/rapist/[insert scary thing] before they'll allow themselves to get closer.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Perhaps so, but I have witnessed many people change their approach to certain people seemingly overnight, though that often requires the other to break the ice and show the other person they're not so bad -- often difficult for INTPs. I agree the dislike is sincere, but in my experience that's often quite changeable. Of course, whether or not it's worth the effort is another matter.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
I love your Christmas avatar EyeSeeCold :D

I think what echoplex says is true to a certain extent. There's definitely a possibility to just let others get to know you better and find you less creepy. It has happened. It doesn't work that often though.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This is kind of bothering me now. What if I truly am mad, and I've just somehow grown to see my insanity as normal? Is this common for INTPs? Do you have this too? How do you deal with colleagues/classmates like this? I'm getting more and more paranoid about this now.

That sounds like a really painful situation. As for being mad, I seriously doubt that you are insane, but you might be extremely angry. This is sort of a betrayal. A bunch of people who think they define "normal" have labeled you not just an outsider, but undesirable. They have judged you based on superficial things, without trying to get to know you. Anyone would be angry at that. Please don't conclude that they are right, though. There's nothing wrong with you.

Since your sense of humor doesn't work for them, and the whole thing clearly bothers you, I suggest not joking at school so much. If you do joke around, assume you will be the only one entertained.

I don't know what grade you are in, but I'll guess you are adolescent (between about 12 and 25). That is a time that people try to sort out who they are and where they belong, and attacking outsiders is unfortunately a common way to do that. I'm sorry you've ended up a victim of cliquishness, but I can say that post-adolescence is much, much better, and you will find people who appreciate you. Survive, try not to make yourself a target too much, and outlast them.

No, "creepy" wasn't a label I had, but my classmates found plenty more. Somehow they always find one that is personally very upsetting. They called me "computer" which I found unbelievably insulting, as if I wasn't even human. But it doesn't matter what the label is. What matters is the harm it causes. Fight the paranoia. They aren't right.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
It's not like I don't have friends, and I don't feel like I'm being bullied(nothing is being said to my face, I'm not being kicked around or anything), and I definitely don't feel like changing my behavior because some other people regard it as strange. I'm in 10th grade. I think once I go to art academy in 2 years it might get better, since artsy people tend to be quite eccentric anyways. I also attend an evening class from the art academy I want to go to, and I can communicate really well with all the people there.

Magnetosphere

Local time
-->
I feel more socially awkward than creepy, although most people who aren't gibbering morons think I'm funny (in real life). It's weird, really - I can entertain small-ish groups of people, talk very well with people I know, but, stick me with a stranger and I'm completely clueless. Obvious introversion and shyness, I know, but it still pisses me off to no end.

Especially when I get into one of those mellow moods where I'm so offbeat that every social encounter I have is a poor one, in my eyes. Makes me think that I'll be lucky to ever have a girlfriend, let alone a long-term relationship or the like. Assuming I can find people who are interesting and who don't mind screwed-up guys like me. :confused:

Seems to be pretty common on these forums, so I'll venture a guess that this is relatively normal for INTPs.

Never underestimate the possibility that people are secretly jealous of a 'creepy' person.

I'd have to agree with Yeti, in that I find it much more likely that many people are sincere jackasses. Lack of conformity correlates to independent thinking (no shit, Sherlock), and independent thinking pulls away at the fabric of hierarchical structures, upon which our societies are based. It's threatening, in a way. Especially to kids, many of whom are either incapable or unwilling to talk about anything except fashion, alcohol, and sex.

I'd say more, but I think Trebuchet hit the nail(s) on the head.

PINT

Dyslexic INTP
Local time
-->
INTPs have a special ability to see right through certain types of people, such as insincere people, phonies, fakers, braggarts, and sleazy lying salesmen. And they know it. That's why they think we're "creepy."

Don't feel bad about it. Celebrate it!

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I'd have to agree with Yeti, in that I find it much more likely that many people are sincere jackasses. Lack of conformity correlates to independent thinking (no shit, Sherlock), and independent thinking pulls away at the fabric of hierarchical structures, upon which our societies are based. It's threatening, in a way. Especially to kids, many of whom are either incapable or unwilling to talk about anything except fashion, alcohol, and sex.
No, I think you're basically correct. I recognize that such people typically feel threatened by independent thinking, but can't they still be a bit jealous of it, on some level? I dunno, I guess I'm arguing this because it's what I've (often) observed of people, esp. young people. So and so is a 'freak' for a while and then, boom, one day they're popular, often for no known reason. My (perhaps misguided) explanation for this was that the 'creep' represents freedom to the conformists, but that they can't accept hir until it's considered 'cool' to do so (as determined by the popular overlords).

Though it's possible what I've witnessed doesn't really correlate with the OP, either because he's too outside the norm to be accepted by it (there are certainly limits to that) or his peers are not as accepting/mature/whatever as those (admittedly limited) ones I'm basing this on.

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
Everyone thinks I'm weird. :elephant:

And I've been told by several people that they can imagine me snapping one day and killing everyone.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
INTPs have a special ability to see right through certain types of people, such as insincere people, phonies, fakers, braggarts, and sleazy lying salesmen. And they know it. That's why they think we're "creepy."

I like that idea. (:

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
And I've been told by several people that they can imagine me snapping one day and killing everyone.
Even my best friend told me this, lol.

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
-->
Well damn I must have been in a fit of madness, I somehow missed this awesome thread.

I must think it is part of being xNTP. Our use of Ne is quite magnificent. Imagine having it as you dominate function, I love it. I take pride in being called weird, creepy, mad, insane, crazy etc.

I've also been told I would be a great serial killer. :D

To the OP, you aren't mad, you seem quite normal to me. There is nothing to worry about I think, but I do think I am loosing my sanity everyday though.

I did much the same as you mentioned (OP). And I still do, I catch myself making poses depending on what people say, I try to imitate facial expressions because I have always been paranoid that I don't really have any. Which I am proud to say I can now smile, almost, on demand. :D But people say I smile all the time, so maybe I still can't since well it is like always on. Now where did I put that damn off switch.

The greatest things I remember was when I was in a medieval period in my drawings, was about 14, I drew all kinds of dead people in my drawing books, rats, diseases and all, I thought they were lovely, my parents didn't haha, neither did my teachers.

Ok to prove how "crazy" people thought I was in high school. I never had a fight with anyone. People became my friend if someone had a beef with them, because people thought I was crazy. My brothers freshman year, I was a junior, some seniors were picking on him in the bathroom, a guy that knew he was my brother came in and said this here: "Hey you guys know that is dark's brother right?" and they stopped and just left the place in a hurry. That is what I was told of course, I was to busy in the science and math rooms. Of course it could be because I had more respect from everyone in the school than anyone else, simply because I stood up for people and was quick and clever with words, or they just thought I was crazy. My freshman year a couple seniors tried to pick on me because I was like 4 feet tall and with a quick couple words I confused them so bad people started to laugh at them so they left.

Maybe people thought I was crazy, not for my ideas, but because of my odd need to stand in face of danger. I did once ask a friend to drive their car at me so I could test my jumping ability because I knew I could make it over the car, of course he refused to do that for me. But guess this was from my ideas also, eh.

Damn I can't seem to make a short post.

:elephant:

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Haha, you sound like a really fun person actually (:
Long posts are okay around here, I think.

Jean Paul

Ideas from nowhere
Local time
-->
Yes my peers think i'm creepy and werid, but intellgent and innovative through sometimes people say i'm quite the jackass.

No friends besides old friends that moved to another school from elementry. Thats about 3 to 4.

Ja i'm proud to say it. I'm generally in a sense socially isolated becuase at my school people are touchy feely or just to damn EXXX or EXFX or ESFX. Through i'm also isolated in a intellectual sense too. Like charlie off of flowers for algernon after the surgery. So few meet even one of my standards.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:24 PM
-->
I thought everyone here was a weirdo that's why I came here.

Yeah,

I am,

I stalked a lot of crushes and had difficulty approaching them.
Sometimes it creeps me out how did I know so much without them saying anything to me.

I was bullied, people made fun of me, and more than anything I was the oddball. Everyone thought I was on drugs. But here its cool to be that High-On-Caffeine-Too-Much-In-Everything-Loner, it's accepted and understood.

Makes it pretty addictive.

I admit I tried to fit in but, I never could.

Synthesis

Watching the river of Time
Local time
-->
Definitely wierd, I would not dub myself creepy though. I have developed the habit of getting out of my seat in various classes and begin pacing around either the classroom or leaving the room and walking around the school, thinking. :confused: It's generally accepted that I'm regularly lost in my thoughts and don't like being bothered, yet am not directly disrespectful to anyone's idea of 'should be' so no one takes offense at my wanderings. Rather hard to when I'm one of the few who know what's going on in my classes and can elucidate for others. Classmates, I'm interested in the ones who don't mind my quirks and hope fervently that the ones who do will mature quickly lest they take too harsh a fall and never recover in time to live life. *shrug* I'd say I am rather lucky. :o

To all ye stalkers watching and waiting: happy holidays! (It's 7am on Christmas morn when I type this) The time will come when the fruits of your labors will yield very fresh fruit, patience is key. Might not be soon, mind, but 'twill come. The world is a surprisingly large place at times, who'd have thought? ;)

addendum: I adopt a 'live and let live' attitude towards others. A fair number find it disturbing that I know what's bothering them or that I know so much without engaging in general conversation, leading to the 'wierd' brand burnt into my forehead. People come to me for advice or just a listening ear, I do these things and I suppose word spreads that I'm not so odd after all - I am human after all, with all the parts and packaging entailed! Fancy that.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
Are you creepy/weird?

On creepiness: I am apparently very creepy, but in a good way. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but I'm very good at sneaking up on people, hiding behind doors and jumping out, or mimicking those creepy people in horror film. People apparently tend to enjoy my creepiness.

On weirdness: I revel in my weirdness. I enjoy not acting normal. People apparently like this too, except for people who are obsessed with instituting normal. One of my "friends" tried to have some sort of idiotic intervention with me over formspring, sending me lovely gems like this:

why do you type so weird? like bees? like wtf..
and then I responded..
Oh that's only with my friends. I'm not sure why you would care if I type oddly, but okie-doke! To each their own.

Also, if you're going to critique my writing, you might want to check your grammar first. "Why do you type weirdly" is the correct way to arrange your sentence.

She said lotsa other stuff too, most of which amused me. I might have trolled around with her a little bit, I couldn't help it! She was so obsessed with the fact that I was actually talking now, and not the "quiet nice girl" she had stereotyped me as.

nyaneko

Local time
-->
Dimensional Transition;212657 That's close-minded as fuck said:
I'm goddamn open minded... I HATE closed minded people... That's why I've been isolating the majority. Maybe because I'm just a creepy bastard... fuck my life... But it's interesting the way you go along it.

Confessions... I've watched hentai/porn when I was bored. I love blood and gore... if it is artistic.. i do say "thats horrible" but i dont feel really horrible.... I like big hairy spiders but not small ones... I listen to all types of music.... japanese pop, death metal, dubstep, classical.. oldish chinese music... UGHHH I'm jealous of hot chicks without excess fat around their hips and C cups. (who isnt...)

Yeah I think I'm weird and creepy.

I'm always the odd one out... Now I have no friends. Just my boyfriend. What a sad life...

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->

Sounds about right. I have never believed in the accusations.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
I'm goddamn open minded... I HATE closed minded people... That's why I've been isolating the majority. Maybe because I'm just a creepy bastard... fuck my life... But it's interesting the way you go along it.

Confessions... I've watched hentai/porn when I was bored. I love blood and gore... if it is artistic.. i do say "thats horrible" but i dont feel really horrible.... I like big hairy spiders but not small ones... I listen to all types of music.... japanese pop, death metal, dubstep, classical.. oldish chinese music... UGHHH I'm jealous of hot chicks without excess fat around their hips and C cups. (who isnt...)

Yeah I think I'm weird and creepy.

I'm always the odd one out... Now I have no friends. Just my boyfriend. What a sad life...
Well at least you have a boyfriend!
Blood and gore... that is really disturbing to me. The rest, nah.

nyaneko

Local time
-->
Sounds about right. I have never believed in the accusations.

INTPs have special ability to see through frauds? I think it just depends on how naive and observant they are.

Yeah, snakes, alligators, weird creepy shell creatures, stingrays, turtles etc are cute... some fish and slugs are ew though...

Yeah we were doing a class experiment in high school and we had to slice up an ox heart .... I enjoyed that... and the eye......... but that was just watching.

Top Bottom