• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Any Hardcore Gamers Here?

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:11 PM
-->
I would consider myself a hardcore gamer first and foremost. I own a PS3 Xbox 360 and just recently got a kick ass gaming laptop, and I own around 30+ PS3 and 360 games. (I pirate PC games)

Anyone else consider themselves to be hardcore gamers?

it seems like something INTPs would be into, and yet I haven't seen 1 mention of games on this forum.

Artifice Orisit

Solid carbon core Gamer here, much of my gaming equipment was stolen last year but I'm currently studying for a future in the interactive entertainment development business.

I may not be up-to-date on all the latest games but I'm a fairly experienced FPS player and I've been working on game designs for several years now.

kaririloto

Local time
Yesterday 7:11 PM
-->
The Summerset Isles, with an occasional Albion hol
I game quite often.

Simply because I'm female, as well as because I prefer to PLAY a game instead of straight-out BEAT it right away, I'm not quite....er, welcome in the "gaming community".

Ah well.

But yes, I am a frequent player of video games.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
Lately I've been playing Spore and Wolfenstein: ET because they're always pretty fun, but I started becoming a gamer way back with SimAnt and Theme Hospital. I was a beta tester for City of Heroes, World of Warcraft and Age of Conan. None of which I believe live up to what an MMO could be (though I actually think CoH/CoV got the closest). Actually I was a tester for 2 weeks on another game, but it was so awful I seemed to have purged it from my memory. When I was in high school I was pretty "hardcore" about a text based mud, Dragonrealms (meaning I played it a lot, but I mostly did it for social reasons). It was really well programmed and had about 600-1400 people on at all times. Got me through some miserable times during that part of my life, though I regret some of that escapism.

I fell out of love with the console controller a long time ago, so no 360 or PS3 for me. I'm all about the PC with the occasion Wii foray (that is an excellent system for entertaining guests in a small apartment... if I had guests).

Artifice Orisit

@-kaririloto
There is nothing wrong with that, anyway you apparently have a fine taste in games: Elder scrolls, Fable.

The world needs more gamer-girls like that; can I clone you a couple of hundred times? :D

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I personally prefer Single player games over multiplayer ones. I just picked up fable 2 today. Sure am loving it.

I game quite often.

Simply because I'm female, as well as because I prefer to PLAY a game instead of straight-out BEAT it right away, I'm not quite....er, welcome in the "gaming community".

Ah well.

But yes, I am a frequent player of video games.

I have a friend that complains about the same things. She really likes GTAIVs free roam mode.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm a gamer, but far from hardcore.

Anyway, LOZ!

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
I've always liked to play adventure games, games that had really good stories, or games with great atmosphere.

I'm also intrigued by graphics and hardware, but usually don't care to actually play the game. Especially if killing is involved.

Artifice Orisit

@-Waterstiller
Can you explain to me exactly why you don't like killing in games, what about it you don't like and what you would prefer instead? I'm currently trying to devise means of making games friendlier to the female market without relying upon the old conventions of toy industry.

Interpreted suggestions gained thus far...
Good stories, good atmosphere, adventure/exploration/escapism, less killing

General ideas that I've developed...
More player creativity, emphasis on social structures opposed to military style rankings, good music (battlefield music can be heavy classical instead of heavy metal), more emotionally provocation in objectives (e.g. "save the town's people" instead of "kill all the monsters").

Suggestions from anyone related to game design will be appreciated.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
More player creativity, emphasis on social structures opposed to military style rankings, good music (battlefield music can be heavy classical instead of heavy metal), more emotionally provocation in objectives (e.g. "save the town's people" instead of "kill all the monsters").

Except for that last line, it sounded like LittleBigPlanet

kaririloto

Local time
-->
The Summerset Isles, with an occasional Albion hol
@-kaririloto
There is nothing wrong with that, anyway you apparently have a fine taste in games: Elder scrolls, Fable.

The world needs more gamer-girls like that; can I clone you a couple of hundred times? :D
Why thank you.
Haha, I don't think people would appreciate several hundred karirilotos running all over the place, disproving theories and what not. :D
Then again.....

I personally prefer Single player games over multiplayer ones. I just picked up fable 2 today. Sure am loving it.
I have a friend that complains about the same things. She really likes GTAIVs free roam mode.
FABLE 2!!

It's seriously my favorite game of ALL TIME (with the exception of pokemon Crystal, when it came out.)

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
i played Diablo 2 for a while, then FFXI, then WoW for a few months until i realized i couldn't PVE for shit (although i was pretty good at PVP, but it got boring fast). i played FFVII, FFVIII, and MGS for playstation, but otherwise i've never really played many console games.

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
Yesterday 6:11 PM
-->
I college I was a "hardcore" gamer, playing tons of halflife, diablo II, and beta testing for Warcraft III. I played just about anything I could get my hands on: Baldur's gate, Serious Sam, Command and Conquer games, Civ, etc. I lived in a dorm with a bunch of other gaming uber-nerds. We also had a lot on console parties, since a few of us were console nuts (not myself). I enjoyed Choo-Choo Rocket, DOA, Soul Caliber series, Marvel vs. SNK, etc.

Then I got married, and only play games on occasion. DotA, the latest FPS, and my old NES/Genesis/PS1 games. My wife enjoys the adventure RPGs, and JetMoto. :)

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
@-Waterstiller
Can you explain to me exactly why you don't like killing in games, what about it you don't like and what you would prefer instead? I'm currently trying to devise means of making games friendlier to the female market without relying upon the old conventions of toy industry.

I suppose that killing is acceptable for me, but when it's the main thing in a game, I dislike it. I still enjoyed Half-Life 2 but that was due to atmosphere, sound, and story. I like to use my brain, not my reflexes. Plus, I'm completely non-aggressive.

I'd like to see more innovation and creativity in games. Art games. Imaginative games. Games that take me away from the norm and change everything. Games that make me cry. Katamari Damacy, Ico, Spore, Grim Fandango, LittleBigWorld, Fahrenheit, Shadow of the Colossus, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Psychonauts..

Every level of Psychonauts was a trip into another person's mind. God, it was amazing. You collect figments of their imagination and emotional baggage. It's as hilarious as it is insightful. I cannot recommend this highly enough for anyone who is interested in different personalities or psychology. A paranoia level where you're running through a warped suburban neighborhood where shady cloaked figures are disguised as road workers and gardeners? A level where you hop into a game of chess to play against an imaginary Napoleon Bonaparte, and you have to recruit all of the pieces? There's a Bi-polar level that takes place in a theater, and the entire set changes when you throw a different light on it(manic or depressive). There's even a level that I would consider INTP: a very, very, organized mind in the shape of a cube.

I want more stuff like that. I want more Tim Schafer and Ragnar Tornquist games.. and I want Brutal Legend and The Secret World to come out already!

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
-->
Ooh, ooh! Did you guys play Bioshock?! That game was AMAZING!

It was like being inside an Ayn Rand novel.

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
-->
I've been playing games since I was three, I think. I'm more of an oldschool gamer, but I would consider myself hardcore compared to most people I've known. Sadly, on online games, people think I'm a guy pretending to be a girl so I've learned to keep my personal life out of friendships I cultivate on online communities.

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
-->
I just realized that this thread isn't called Hardcore Videogamer. I really enjoy other games as well. In highschool we had a lot of fun with Apples to Apples, Nuclear War, Mafia, GURPS, etc. I also enjoy table-top wargaming like Heavy Gear and Silent Death. Robo Rally is a riot, as is Carcasonne.

Death

..still alive
Local time
Today 12:11 AM
-->
I was once a hardcore gamer,and previously has addicted to a MMO called MapleStory,and my grade and brain cells suffered by it.

The game I enjoyed most are mostly RPG such as,and the game I enjoyed most is,Fable:The Lost Chapter,Lufia 2:Rise of Sinistrals,FF4,and Pokemon.

I once read review about Bioshock,it's very interesting,continue playing like you're brainwashed or just quit? is it?.

Gorgrim

Local time
Today 1:11 AM
-->
Then I got married, and only play games on occasion. DotA, the latest FPS, and my old NES/Genesis/PS1 games. My wife enjoys the adventure RPGs, and JetMoto. :)

So you play DotA? im going to guess the costum warcraft III TFT, and not one of the many copycat games that seem to float around once in a while?

I play that myself, actually. Have been for a long time. Although it has no ACTUAL genre I would call it a 3rd person shooter - but FPS describes it in a sort..

Anyway ive played alot, First console: Super nintendo, playing Zelda, pokemon, rpg's, (FFI included)

Nintendo 64: Zelda, Mario, ofcourse. And ALOT of Golden Eye 007. :D

PS1: Azure dreams, Tekken 3, quite abit, Final fantasy 7 8 9 more than you could imagine ...atleast 700 hours @ FF 8.

PS2: mainly the rest of the Final fantasy games, not much else.

PC: DaoC: it was a game i played 2 years, and another 3 on and off. Great game.

WoW: played this alot, pretty much masted the PVP aspect and got through all of the PVE content.
Also, Warcraft III I've played for well over 4 years all kinds of maps, over 1 year of the DotA costum map, and finally, ALOT of diablo II. Singleplayer aswell as battle.net.

edit: is this writing annoying to look at? I put on the wrong kind of typing, sorry

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
-->
Then I got married, and only play games on occasion. DotA, the latest FPS, and my old NES/Genesis/PS1 games.

What I meant was "DotA and the latest FPS", not "DotA which is the latest FPS".

Gorgrim

Local time
-->
My bad Fusion, got myself onto the wrong track. woops.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
My first MMO was text based, so I felt quite the opposite. I developed an interest in medieval tradeskills, learned about horses and international trading. Fletching, smithing, sailing, the potential of an entertainment based living in a non-mass-media accessible environment. Because it was text based there was a high requirement for learning how to do things in a way that would work in real life. In a sense it was all still book learning, but I would not have learned it without the game.

Fallout 3 is out? OK... guess I gotta go to the store tonight :D

Fordy

Local time
-->
I'm a "Hardcore" gamer myself, but I only have a Wii. Couldn't live without LoZ, Mario or Metroid... Or Smash Bros. ^_^

Also, I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero (can play most songs on expert).

My brother had a PS3 which I'd play on a lot, but he's taken it to University and I rarely get to play it anymore. Which means I'm gonna have to miss out on Fallout 3 and the likes for now.

Also, I've been playing Fable 2 co-op at a friends house. Brilliant stuff, so far...

Artifice Orisit

Fletching, smithing, sailing, the potential of an entertainment based living in a non-mass-media accessible environment. Because it was text based there was a high requirement for learning how to do things in a way that would work in real life.

I've been thinking about the potentials of a mostly text based game being developed with modern technology. Particularly the implications of chat-bots and high capacity AI (Black&White style development and stuff). It would be interesting to re-invent some of these old game types if only to get ideas for other types of games.

"Age of Wonders" is a good example, worth buying anyway (the all important $).

Loraella

Local time
-->
I love playing RPGs. I wish I had more time for that :( But it looks like I won't ever have more time for games any more, until I am retired maybe :P
My favourites [all of them are for PC and can be downloaded from the net]: Ahriman's Prophecy, Aveyond 1+2, Dark Eternal, Lost Legacy [I haven't finished it though], Everlong, Ara Fell [too bad this game had not been finished by the creators; I enjoyed it a lot and it had the special charming ambience similarly like Ahriman's Prophecy].

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm a gamer but not exactly hardcore either. I'm more of a hardcore Internet user.

Still, I desperately hope they release Fable 2 for PC. D:

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Haha. Loraella, upon 'researching' a bit on your games i came across some very funny wiki-articles, some of them about 'lost' continents and one about reptilian conspiracies:eek::eek:
Although not intented of you thanks for this half hour of fun ;)

Ogion

Devercia

Deleterious Defenistrator
Local time
-->
I am one, very much so. Ive become jaded with most mainstream games, including fable and such. I like elements of them, but they are not mentally challenging. I think alot can be said about what I like in what I play,

For FPS I like Red Orchestra, the sort of fps that consists of pixel hunting and a supreme need of spacial awareness. Its one of those games where the first shot is likely to kill, and your unlikely to know where it came from. You spend most of your time looking for people so they don't get a beat on you, and you really have to identify enemies before you start shooting at them. It puts a certain respect for your life(assuming the spawn timer is long enough) and you actually use cover and scuttle about from hole to hole like a prairie dog.

For action/adventure, I like Mount&Blade. Openended medieval non-fantasy with simple but intuitive combat. Very fluid.

For Management/building, I like Dwarf Fortress. It is the single most ingenious game ever. The complexity is so enormous that it allows for almost anything you can imagine, redirecting rivers and magma tubes to make traps and fortification and what not. It is one of the only games where losing is fun. I once watched a video where a person built an execution tower. He put retractable bridge to nowhere on top of a tower, loaded it with Donkeys and horses and other pets, pulled the level and watched all the animals fall, explode in gore in all its ASCII glory.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Lately I've been playing Spore quote]

I need spore. I play it at a friends house, love it (though haven't really played it more than twice...yet.) My computer would die, though.

Unbearably sad for me, my mother thinks videogames will kill me. Which is why I play them else where and do not own any of my own :( !!!

Cue the sad violin music.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Why thank you.
Haha, I don't think people would appreciate several hundred karirilotos running all over the place, disproving theories and what not. :D
Then again.....

FABLE 2!!

It's seriously my favorite game of ALL TIME (with the exception of pokemon Crystal, when it came out.)
It is really good. I wouldn't say the best, but I have put quite a few hours into it already.

I suppose that killing is acceptable for me, but when it's the main thing in a game, I dislike it. I still enjoyed Half-Life 2 but that was due to atmosphere, sound, and story. I like to use my brain, not my reflexes. Plus, I'm completely non-aggressive.

I'd like to see more innovation and creativity in games. Art games. Imaginative games. Games that take me away from the norm and change everything. Games that make me cry. Katamari Damacy, Ico, Spore, Grim Fandango, LittleBigWorld, Fahrenheit, Shadow of the Colossus, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Psychonauts..

Every level of Psychonauts was a trip into another person's mind. God, it was amazing. You collect figments of their imagination and emotional baggage. It's as hilarious as it is insightful. I cannot recommend this highly enough for anyone who is interested in different personalities or psychology. A paranoia level where you're running through a warped suburban neighborhood where shady cloaked figures are disguised as road workers and gardeners? A level where you hop into a game of chess to play against an imaginary Napoleon Bonaparte, and you have to recruit all of the pieces? There's a Bi-polar level that takes place in a theater, and the entire set changes when you throw a different light on it(manic or depressive). There's even a level that I would consider INTP: a very, very, organized mind in the shape of a cube.

I want more stuff like that. I want more Tim Schafer and Ragnar Tornquist games.. and I want Brutal Legend and The Secret World to come out already!

Have you heard of Mirror's Edge? It's got a lot of those things you said you like in games. Though the full game isn't out till the 13th of November.

Ooh, ooh! Did you guys play Bioshock?! That game was AMAZING!

It was like being inside an Ayn Rand novel.

I played it. It was quite enjoyable. Seemed to drag on a bit at the end but other then that it was good.

tom

sihadiya
Local time
-->
I am and always will be a gamer :)
currently playing medieval2 total war which sooooo complicated im only just getting into very hard mode.
Also enjoying Toribash which is just... fantastic

bdubs

Local time
-->
I'd consider myself a hardcore gamer. However, due to college I have not been playing as much as I used too.

Derada

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 5:11 PM
-->
I like Civilization 4. I don't approach it from a "try to master the game and maximize points" perspective but rather from a narrative perspective. The game itself is very barebones when it comes to different diplomatic, military, and cultural situations.

I find myself filling in the blanks: in 700 AD, the American Empire discovered Gunpowder due to the enlightened rule of despot Derada...

When I was a child, I played war games with lego pieces. Each soldier is a minimal three pieces. One for the head, and two for the legs.

Games like Spore are particularly conducive to this kind of imagination-play that I like. Sure, BioShock was fun and the story was great, but I can't see myself playing that game again and again. I want to create as well as consume.

Artifice Orisit

@-Derada
I can relate to most of that, I also spent time making lego space ships and performing "drop tests", create/destroy/analyse/re-design/repeat, it was a fun game.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like Civilization 4. I don't approach it from a "try to master the game and maximize points" perspective but rather from a narrative perspective. The game itself is very barebones when it comes to different diplomatic, military, and cultural situations.

I find myself filling in the blanks: in 700 AD, the American Empire discovered Gunpowder due to the enlightened rule of despot Derada...

I do the same thing. I downloaded the Fall from Heaven mod (it's awesome, or at least, it was before I played it to death); a fantasy mod that has a lot more role-playish sort of things, and way richer depth of environment. I love using it to tell stories.

Another mod I love is The Ancient Mediterranean. It's a little bit underdeveloped and I think it's stopped being updated, but it's a lot of fun to manipulate events in the ancient world. It would be more fun if it went straight through to the modern day, so you could see how you changed things; but it's still interesting to form a unified Gallic nation across northern Europe, or a vast Phoenician trade empire, or have Carthage win the Punic wars.

Rhye's and Fall is pretty good, too, from a narrative perspective (it's more dynamic); but the terrain is too ugly after FfH (I usually export the terrain from there to other mods) and it takes forever to load a new turn, on my computer at least.

Zezon Vice

Local time
-->
I would consider myself a hardcore gamer first and foremost. I own a PS3 Xbox 360 and just recently got a kick ass gaming laptop, and I own around 30+ PS3 and 360 games. (I pirate PC games)

Anyone else consider themselves to be hardcore gamers?

it seems like something INTPs would be into, and yet I haven't seen 1 mention of games on this forum.

You top me but i do consider myself at least a gamer.
I own a Xbox and Wii but i only have a wii for metroid.

Zezon Vice

Local time
-->
FABLE 2!!

I liked fable 2 aswell but dont you think they ripped us off a little with the outfits? Not that no armor was bad but i think the selection of clothing was small where i had expected much more change and cosumability. >.>

Duty

Local time
-->
I recently stopped gaming altogether, but I was an exceptionally hardcore gamer (it was my INTP "focus interest" for a while), and mostly played MMOs. My problem was never being able to stay with a particular class...I'd become intrigued with a class concept, max lvl that class, master the class in PvP (never cared for PvE) and then drop the class for another concept. It was quite comical, because I would go through a predictable pattern of being interested in a rogue, then mage, then heavy armor fighter, then berserker fighter type classes...in a cycle.

Recently I just stopped gaming. I grew disinterested. Unfortunately I have no interest to replace it (INTP hell :(). I'll likely game again, probably more casually, when Diablo 3 comes out.

csuguy

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I just picked up World of Warcraft.... been playing it for about a 2 weeks and I already have a lvl 46 druid night elf and a lvl 11 undead warlock.... INTP + already addicting game = bad idea, lol. I plan to get at least those 2 characters (and maybe more if I create them) to lvl 60 before I get the expansion packs... but that won't take too long...

Ah well, the benefit of being consumed by things is that you burn through specific things a lot faster than other types (in terms of days, though not necessarily hours) - which means I'm bound to be good and done with WOW within a month or so and never touch it again :D

GarmGarf

Local time
-->
So you play DotA? im going to guess the costum warcraft III TFT, and not one of the many copycat games that seem to float around once in a while?

DotA ain't a shooter game lol, but I know that was just a misunderstanding.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a gamer. My favourite genera is competitive real time strategy games (RTS), like StarCraft and WarCraft III.

I am also an (unsuccessful) game designer, and I'm currently the lead game designer of an internet project attempting to become a company.

Last edited:

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:11 PM
-->
I got the new Prince of Persia and it left me quite confused. It is so good in some aspects and so bad in others.

Anyone played it? What did you think of it?

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
I'm addicted to Pokemon games =)

Apart from that, I do like playing video games, but I never buy them - i'm too busy buying books, but I'm saving up to buy the new pokemon game that's coming out soon. It's just that there's too much that I'd like, and I only get so much money.

But can anyone reccomend any free mmorpgs?

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:11 PM
-->

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
Hardcore retro gamer here, mainly NES & SNES. Also a video game masochist; I love exceptionally difficult games like I Wanna Be The Guy or fishy korean Mario hacks.

Top Bottom