• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

am I the only INTP who doesn't get sci fi/ fantasy?

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
Today 3:59 AM
-->
So I am definitely a full-on INTP- I've taken five tests to prove it- yet I could care less about sci fi. Yes, as a child I read the majority of Ray Bradbury's short stories and I liked The Twilight Zone TV show. I've also read Lord of the Rings and seen the flicks and enjoyed them. But I've never been passionate about any of it, and I have no clue as to why people are into Star Trek, Star Wars, gaming, or Harry Potter.

First question: Are there any other INTPs out there who share my disinterest in sci-fi and fantasy? Or am I a distinct minority in a minority personality type?

Second question: All of you INTPs who are into these things, can you explain to me why?

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:59 AM
-->
I don't like sci-fi either. some of those others I have an interest in though.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
Today 11:59 AM
-->
...I cannot comprehend the existence of a person who does not like sci-fi, fantasy or gaming. Are you perhaps in a coma?

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 12:59 PM
-->
It isn't like we all have a rulebook to follow. You are an individual first, your personality type as an INTP shows what the majority of that subject is. But we do not think the same on every point. Liking sci-fi or fantasy is just a "x" percentage of what majority of it is, but on that point only. Like 9/10th of the worlds population is right handed, therefore as a human must I be right handed? No...
(Or am I therefore an unhuman being?)

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 5:59 AM
-->
I consider sci-fi and fantasy to be very different. I like sci-fi but not so much fantasy and I don't see the point of role-playing games. I like to ponder possibilities and sci-fi helps me explore them.

It depends on your interests. If a certain genre doesn't touch upon those interests then it will hold no appeal for you. Our interests vary. If you tell us what does interest you then perhaps there are similarities. My primary interests are history, politics and world affairs and sci-fi (in that order).

Cegorach

Local time
-->
I'm rarely impressed by the simplistic unoriginal approach that is often used in these genres.

When a novel, film, ect. resorts to showcasing "Shiny new toys" including "death rays" or giant space craft, and the whole thing is turned into an enormous violent flashing orgy of doom; I get tired of it quickly.
I just don't consider explosively charged action flicks with just enough backstory to be considered "Masterpieces", even slightly entertaining.

However to blame that on the entire genre may be premature...
To exibit quality within the genre isn't at all impossible, just less probable with the overwhelming amount of distractions and new weapon concepts that can be employed.

I can't say I dislike it, but it's often surprisingly linear (Yes, even the classics.)
...Then again, I have a few I'm quite fond of...

Red Mage

Local time
Today 4:59 AM
-->
It depends on what it is. For the most part, no. Most of it is way cheesy. Some fantasy-based games can be fun. For the record, everything Lord of the Rings sucks total donkey dong. There, I said it. Yeah. Harry Potter too.

I did, however, used to love Star Wars to death.

I could take the point of the OP and change Sci-Fi and Fantasy to Anime. I seriously do not get the appeal of it. Any of it. It's cheesy and boring.

mathy

Local time
Today 4:59 AM
-->
I'm rarely impressed by the simplistic unoriginal approach that is often used in these genres.

When a novel, film, ect. resorts to showcasing "Shiny new toys" including "death rays" or giant space craft, and the whole thing is turned into an enormous violent flashing orgy of doom; I get tired of it quickly.
I just don't consider explosively charged action flicks with just enough backstory to be considered "Masterpieces", even slightly entertaining.

However to blame that on the entire genre may be premature...
To exibit quality within the genre isn't at all impossible, just less probable with the overwhelming amount of distractions and new weapon concepts that can be employed.

I can't say I dislike it, but it's often surprisingly linear (Yes, even the classics.)
...Then again, I have a few I'm quite fond of...

**cough**starwars**cooughcough** ...... *high five*

That said, I enjoyed Star Trek TNG, mainly because of the characters (and I was like 10... and it was mine and my daddy's bonding time :) so I'm probably biased. I wonder if I'd like it now?)

I could take the point of the OP and change Sci-Fi and Fantasy to Anime. I seriously do not get the appeal of it. Any of it. It's cheesy and boring.

Agreed--anime is cheesy (in general). (Exception: I actually really liked Paranoia Agent, and the films I've watched by Hayao Miyazaki)

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
**cough**starwars**cooughcough** ...... *high five*

That said, I enjoyed Star Trek TNG, mainly because of the characters (and I was like 10... and it was mine and my daddy's bonding time :) so I'm probably biased. I wonder if I'd like it now?)

Oh, I know that feeling. Mine and my daddy's bonding time was watching old western movies or Bond movies (bonding - Bond! Coincidence? I think not!) and perhaps as a result, I consider The Good, the Bad and the Ugly one of the greatest movies ever...

...though, according to IMDb, I'm hardly alone in doing so.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
Today 10:59 AM
-->
Second question: All of you INTPs who are into these things, can you explain to me why?

I am an INTP who likes quite a few science fiction and fantasy TV shows and books.

When I examine the reasons these appeal to me, mostly I find that it is because of the combination of thinking that is involved, the unusual or unexplored situations, and the, "is this even possible?" questions that watching or reading it causes.

To me, this is perfect for an INTP (although others are entitled to their own opinions).

Dominant: Introverted Thinking: You get to analyze complex plots ABOUT SCIENCE!

Auxiliary: Extraverted Intuition: You get to explore strange ideas and ask plenty of "what if..." questions.

Tertiary: Introverted Sensing: Often the best Sci-fi shows (Doctor Who, Star Trek, cough, cough) explore topics that critically analyze a human trait or foible (such as ambition, vanity, compliance, or reliance on technology) and their consequences. This allows you to introspectively analyze these traits in yourself and consider the possible effects they may have.

Inferior: Extraverted Feeling: perhaps gets to become more mature and developed through learning from the intrapersonal relations between characters in the show/book. (I learned all I need to know about people from books...)

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
So I am definitely a full-on INTP- I've taken five tests to prove it- yet I could care less about sci fi. Yes, as a child I read the majority of Ray Bradbury's short stories and I liked The Twilight Zone TV show. I've also read Lord of the Rings and seen the flicks and enjoyed them. But I've never been passionate about any of it, and I have no clue as to why people are into Star Trek, Star Wars, gaming, or Harry Potter.

First question: Are there any other INTPs out there who share my disinterest in sci-fi and fantasy? Or am I a distinct minority in a minority personality type?

I wouldn't say I hate sci fi and fantasy. I actually enjoy it a lot, but only on a superficial level. Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite movie trilogies, but because it's entertaining, not due to the profound plot. Same goes for all the sci fi and fantasy movies and literature I've seen.

And I may be one of the few INTPs that laughs at Star Trek because it looks like an exceptionally nerdy halloween party to me all the way through, especially the older movies.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I can understand the interest. Pondering sci fi and fantasy concepts is usually interesting, but I find myself pondering social, political, and philosophical concepts more often. I've just always been really annoyed by "trekkies" and other supremely nerdy pursuits, which I'll acknowledge is somewhat hypocritical, 'cause I know I'm nerdy in my own way. Just not in the dress up and be obsessed over every last detail kind of way.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
For me it has alot to do with things i did as a child. for instance, i loved star wars to death, read lord of the rings and the hobbit, played with knight and dragon toys, etc.

the far future also excites me, so the different possibilities of what "could be" is something i take interest in, a la sci-fi lover. I dont like star trek, though that may be because I havent given it a fair chance...

Fantasy interests me because i suppose theres more nature (something I have appreciation for) and less modernization. magic is also cool, and fantasy deals much with magic in its tales.

I dont know, were all individuals first and foremost, so I wouldnt dwell on what differs you from other INTP's.

chocolate

Local time
-->
I'm not into it in general, but I wouldn't be closed to watching a movie in that genre.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
I am a huge fan of Scifi and i like quite some Fantasy.
Cinna explained it quite nice and since i am a bit tired now (watching Battlestar Galactica, the new series, right now btw) i won't explai my interest in these genres much further.

Though one thing i deem important: I like all fiction, it just happens that i like Scifi the most. The point is, with fiction (be i movie, tv show, or, the best of the three, books) i get to explore situations i would not experience in real life. Reallife is far too restricting for me in that regard, in fiction though i can let my thoughs and my spirit (not meant in any way religiously) roam freely the realms of what my brain can imagine. I actually can learn pretty much from fiction, because of this fictional, but thanks to imagination real enough as a simulation appearing situations that are described. And i always feel myself in, i try to explore myself and investigate how i would act, react, and think in such a situation, i get to learn about life paths, that may not be open for me to explore without my imagination, and maybe i will learn something that i can apply in 'reallife' as well, but that would be a positive side effect, not the goal. The goal is to have fun letting myself roam the imaginable.

Ogion

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
Well, there's the bad sci-fi/fantasy (most of it), and the good sci-fi/fantasy.

The good includes Firefly, some of Borges' short stories, folk tales...

Legionnaire

Local time
-->

Don't like scifi/fanstasy, gaming, and such? Sound more S than N to me. Anyway I just enjoy getting lost in these things. I prefer the gaming world to the real world, as there are things I can do there, that I can't in this world. Like turn into a raven and fly around outlands, the remnants of Draenor.

Deleted member 1424

Does anyone here like to read the darker more mature mangas? It's too expensive to buy; but there is a ton of it available online. There is a lot of crappy superflous manga; but a few of them are gold.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
^ Yes everyone feel free to give suggestions. I find it difficult not to get discouraged when looking for new manga due to all the obnoxious crap out there.

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
well, mangas, let's veer off topic, shall we?:) (I just did an emoticon- my first ever- so not me, but I don't want to appear jerky.:):D;):eek:)

I could do tons of quoting right now, cause I've heard all sorts of good things.

Well, first off, now I know I'm not alone. But I've also been thinking more about me and sci-fi/ fantasy and what I like and what I don't like, etc.

I've been thinking about the books 1984 and A Clockwork Orange, which I liked quite a bit. In many ways, those are quite a bit like sci-fi: They're about the future, they're presenting a world which initially seems quite different than the present, yet it's this sort of veiled lesson of what could happen if we continue on our current trajectory. And I also like Tim Burton movies, which are pretty fantastical.

I loved what someone said about Star Trek and Halloween. That totally cracked me up and I couldn't agree more.

I guess that's how it is for me often. I will be the first to admit that my exposure to sci-fi, fantasy, anime, manga, gaming, etc is incredibly limited, but what I have encountered just seems kind of campy or too far removed from reality or something. I guess that's what I like about the books I mentioned. It seems like something that could happen, while the others, I don't know... Just not logical enough? But I am also a big-time snob when it comes to writing. I require something to be well-written or I will instantly dismiss it. And I guess I am more of a philosopher than a scientist, although I do enjoy science.

Someone said something about me being more of an 'S' than a 'N' because I'm not into this stuff. Interesting, because that's one of my highest scores on the Meyers-Briggs tests, like 98%. I don't think you can get much more 'N' than me. Maybe it has more to do with the 'T'/'F' ratio? I'm not extreme 'T'- there's definitely an element of 'F' to me, which I release through music and writing, but not enough to make me INFP. But then again, I seem to be getting more 'T' as I get older, so then on that logic, wouldn't that make the appeal of sci-fi and fantasy increase? If anything, it seems to be decreasing.

But I'm tired of talking about this stuff and I think most others are, too. Thanks, all.

Top Bottom