• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

alternatives to MBTI

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:58 AM
-->
discuss, whats good or whats bad about the mbti

whats inside and whats outside the mbti box

my arguement the mbti is useless and what is outside mbti box:

the entire human population generalized into 16 types, and descriptions that are stereotypical

test scores can be easily manipulated,

there might be more factors than 4 dictionamies extro, intro, thinking feeling, intuition/sesnse, judging/percieving

humans might be more multidimensional and might be several types combined

assumptions of types and traits might be wrong.

i curious what lies outside the mbti assessment regarding human traits and behavior that is no touched .

that being said , currently there seems to be no personality tests scores , alternatives that are better than mbti for now.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
AI and predictive analytics might model and categorize your personality better than MBTI in the future.

i think there is more to it than seperating the populaton to P and J as the last letter.

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
Today 1:58 AM
-->
We both,

Perceive things internally and externally
Judge things internally and externally

Perception is Intention and Sensation
Judging is Feeling and Thinking

One function is the dominant function. It is either internal or external.

I do not see where anything changes.
@sushi what is new that is being missed?

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 5:58 PM
-->
What you said, sushi, is generally true, so mbti should not be considered as accounting for as much about a person as the community often supposes.

I personally divide people into good and evil. I so far look at sin and then go into the ten commandments.

There is also vertical typology such as Jungian archetypes and spiral dynamics.

I've heard something about a better system with 7 types or functions. It shall remain a mystery though.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
discuss, whats good or whats bad about the mbti
Gives us ideas about how to understand people.

Points out that different people have different personalities.

They don't talk like us. We need to communicate in other people's language.

They don't learn like us. We need to teach students in the way the student needs to be taught.

whats inside and whats outside the mbti box
What's outside: physics, chemistry, art, biology, literature, and lots and lots of other things.

my arguement the mbti is useless and what is outside mbti box:

the entire human population generalized into 16 types, and descriptions that are stereotypical
If you thought that you could categorise all of humanity into 16 types, there would be no need for MBTI to help us understand 7.8 billion people.
test scores can be easily manipulated,
Why it's silly to rely on internet questionnaires about yourself.
there might be more factors than 4 dictionamies extro, intro, thinking feeling, intuition/sesnse, judging/percieving
If there were only 4 factors, then how come some INTPs love science and some INTPs don't?
humans might be more multidimensional and might be several types combined
A multi-dimensional view of a subject is called "sophisticated".

A 1-D view of a subject is called a "charicature".

assumptions of types and traits might be wrong.
Why you should generally be distrustful of anything you read, until you've done some experiments for yourself.
i curious what lies outside the mbti assessment regarding human traits and behavior that is no touched .

that being said , currently there seems to be no personality tests scores , alternatives that are better than mbti for now.
There's the Big Five, socionics, HEXACO, DISC assessment, to name but a few.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
People are not purely one type or another, but a person's MBTI personality profile can explain/predict a lot about them.

BurnedOut

Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
Firstly, Big 5 is the big papa of all the personality tests out there. Nearly every personality test out there borrows something or the other from this trait theory except MBTI, enneagram, face reading, etc.

There are plenty of ways to assess personalities. After knowing the precepts of Big 5 in mind, you can supplement your people reading skills by knowing to read body language, understand varying tones of voice, knowing to read between the lines (of text), reading history, understanding politics and having lots of interaction with people with preferably no biases.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
MBTI and big 5 are very similar to each other. (Same with various other models)

You can fuse elements of both sets of dichotomies quite easily, but with MBTI you also get the structure of cognitive configuration (function order).

So big 5 may inform you that feelers are more agreeable, but MBTI has more nuance in terms of reading and modelling people.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i doubt the fbi use mbti to type classify and categorize people

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
the seven deadly sins is a better way to classify size up criminals/strangers than MBTI

Old Things

Local time
Today 2:58 AM
-->
Big 5 just tells us how people see themselves which is in relation to the rest of the population. So someone high in openness might test themseves that way if they are average in openness but are around a lot of low openness people.

Top Bottom