• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

all Plans just work like billard snooker game

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:11 AM
-->
discuss whether my hypothesis is right or wrong

you either hit or miss, generate a chain reaction.

the more complex the plan, the more deviation and likely things go off tangent

plan.jpg

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:11 PM
-->
It's a decent analogy, except in reality there's no unobstructed path and the balls are frictionless so the table is always in motion and no matter what you do there will be knock-on effects. That's why the whole Chessmaster trope only works in fiction where the one actually manipulating things is the writer who uses the chessmaster character as a convenient way to drive the plot.

In reality you plan and then you prepare contingencies for the plan, like wearing a parachute when you fly a plane, you don't intend to use the parachute rather you intend to fly and land the plane but if the plan goes awry you have options.

Ideally you have a full on Xanatos gambit so no matter what happens you still achieve your goal or even if you don't achieve your goal you get something or change things in such a way that success is more likely next time.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:11 AM
-->
put the table in a seedy bar and add the possibility of someone puking all over the table and proceeding to chase the proprietor around with a broken whiskey bottle, then yeah.

dr froyd

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
in a way yes, but in a way also no, because in real life you can course-correct. I.e. you don't just have the initial shot, you also have the ability to make decisions along the way

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Depends what you are planning.
You have weekly planning, or monthly or yearly planning etc.
Or daily plans where things depend on lots of factors.
There can certainly be lot of unexpected things in planning.
Not sure where snooker comes in this analogy.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:11 PM
-->
We should form an INTP think-tank and scheme to achieve some utterly absurd world changing goal.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
its either billard ball or layers( (levels) to a building, most plans fall into these two analogy.

Layers to the plan are like layers to a building, you can move up and build the upper layer after lower layers are achieved or conditions are satisfied. Thanks for feedbacs. When the plan fail crashes, the building crashes.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
in a way yes, but in a way also no, because in real life you can course-correct. I.e. you don't just have the initial shot, you also have the ability to make decisions along the way
True, but plans change everything.
Once you complete a plan its more than just a plan, its a step i different direction.
If a plan has any substance it changes the game.
So if a plan happens sometimes completing a plan makes the game different.
In snooker this means the ball move in some predictable direction, but in real life some plans are clear cut and either 0 or 1. Some can have multiple meaning depending how many side quests you do.

Most people plan to achieve clear objectives. Like money, or social stuff.
Those objectives can be achieved in multitude of ways of course.
Some ways are more obvious than others.

Top Bottom