INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > INTP

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 31st-October-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Fragglehoff
Redshirt
 
Fragglehoff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 1
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default ADHD as INTP

Hello, I have ADHD and I would love to share some Tips/Expieriences with u guys.
Therefore, I would like to ask u some questions:

1. Do u guys take medication (ritalin etc.) and what do u think about it?
2. Do u have any rituals (such as medicating) that helps improving urself?
3. How did u change over the years?
Fragglehoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-October-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
DaDaMan
Dissident Resident
 
DaDaMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: in your FACE!
Posts: 52
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Maybe what you see as a fault could be a strength under different circumstances....change the circumstances.
__________________
"More than ever man loves his comfort, for ours is an age of neurasthenia, impotence, and easy chairs."
DaDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-November-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

IMO, ADHD is way more common in SPs than it is in NTs. In fact, its almost a defining characteristic of these types (to some degree). INTPs who have ADHD prolly experience it a bit differently. They prolly are more the type to daydream a lot and generally just don't pay attention because they have more going on in their imagination. I have ADHD and as an ISTP I find it difficult to pay attention to pretty much anything for long periods of time. This is a big difference between the INTP and ISTP in that the INTP with ADHD prolly have an insatiable ability to focus on what they really like for very long periods of time. For me though its that if the thing I am interested in is somewhat more physical or just plain stimulating I can pay attention for long periods, but the INTP doesn't need that physical stimulus to keep their attention on things they really like. It could be programming for the INTP where as it would be building a computer for the ISTP.

I am on medication, yes. The drug I am on is called Buproprion. The is prescribed to me to get me to focus better despite what it says about the drug on the wiki page. It works for me, but I forget to take it a lot.

Meditation is a really really really great thing for people with ADHD. The only problem with doing meditation for those with adhd is that its a little uncomfortable at first in learning to just sit (or walk or however you meditate) and not do anything for a given amount of time and just focus. I don't meditate as much as I should but every time I do it I notice that I am much more calm for a few hours afterwards and can set my mind on something I want to accomplish and actually focus long enough to do it.

How have I changed over the years? IDk, I don't get what this has to do with ADHD - I don't know the angle you are getting at. I'm better at identifying when I am losing focus and being aware of when I go into a hyper focused spin on things.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-November-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Sinny91
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 6,314
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

I don't understand how a lack of concentration is supposed to be fixed by meds.

Surely you just divert your mind back to the whatever it is it keeps drifting from?

Tis called self control.

Quote:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental disorder of the neurodevelopmental type.[1][2] It is characterized by problems paying attention, excessive activity, or difficulty controlling behavior which is not appropriate for a person's age.[3]
Mind you, I don't actually understand the diagnostic criteria. The above sounds like me, but I ain't got ADHD Or maybe I have and I just haven't been diagnosed? Who knows? Not me.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-November-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
EggCustard
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 49
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

I have ADHD and I took medicine for it when I was in high school. All it did was give me a high then I crashed into severe depression. I'm on no meds now. I had to learn how to be productive on my own, took me a long time but I'm getting there. I don't like the thought of being dependent on drugs unless I really need it.
EggCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-November-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Lagomorph
GPS: "Repopulating"
 
Lagomorph's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Down the hole with Alice
Posts: 323
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDaMan View Post
Maybe what you see as a fault could be a strength under different circumstances....change the circumstances.
qft
__________________
"It keeps going and going and going..."
Lagomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-November-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
WhatWasThat
Member
 
WhatWasThat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 34
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
INTPs who have ADHD prolly experience it a bit differently. They prolly are more the type to daydream a lot and generally just don't pay attention because they have more going on in their imagination.
When I was younger apparently some teachers thought I had ADHD, because I would just be reading a book, drawing something, etc and completely oblivious to what was going on in the class that didn't interest me. I would also ponder things like "what if this classroom very slowly took off from the ground but on an exponential speed curve, at what point would anyone notice we were heading into the sky? and could we jump out safely by that point?"

Maybe I did have ADHD maybe not, but I never had a problem focusing on things that actually interested me. Once I got to high school I took some computer and music classes at a technical college for half the day that actually interested me, and college itself was even better in that regard.

I never really figured out how to be interested in stuff/classes that truly didn't tickle my curiosity though, so I don't really have any good advice for that. I just did the bare minimum to get through it so I could spend time thinking about stuff I cared about.
WhatWasThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
Architect
Professional INTP
 
Architect's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,692
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Sure you have ADHD? Or did some type of shrink decide you were and then sold you a prescription?

I've known several unusual individuals. One in my High School would now have been diagnosed as ADHD. He had an unusual amount of intense energy. But he was fine, we just knew that was how he was, and he took advanced classes and did fine. Another was in graduate school. He had severe dyslexia. So bad his writing was hieroglyphic. Completely indecipherable. But he was able to get a science PhD at a top 5 institution.

So what? I don't know your circumstances and don't need to know, but generally I suggest to ignore the label, throw out the meds and tell the shrinks to fuck off. None of them know MBTI and would diagnose all of us with one condition or another.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I don't see emotions as something that need to be controlled, they're just information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjots
Because I think the Singularity is much more interesting than the Rapture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSurfer
I don't really care to act against my nature anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky
Discovery channel is like introductory porn for INTPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Minsky
I probably wouldn't go skydiving anyhow because my time is too valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8151147
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E404
Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what I actually want and allowing myself to want it...
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 12:48 AM   #9
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Sure you have ADHD? Or did some type of shrink decide you were and then sold you a prescription?

I've known several unusual individuals. One in my High School would now have been diagnosed as ADHD. He had an unusual amount of intense energy. But he was fine, we just knew that was how he was, and he took advanced classes and did fine. Another was in graduate school. He had severe dyslexia. So bad his writing was hieroglyphic. Completely indecipherable. But he was able to get a science PhD at a top 5 institution.

So what? I don't know your circumstances and don't need to know, but generally I suggest to ignore the label, throw out the meds and tell the shrinks to fuck off. None of them know MBTI and would diagnose all of us with one condition or another.
I don't entirely agree with this... You can't seriously think that there is no such thing as disorders of the brain, can you???
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 01:05 AM   #10
Sinny91
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 6,314
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

There is no disorder, just varying degrees of order. (aha)
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 01:08 AM   #11
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
There is no disorder, just varying degrees of order. (aha)
Lets think this through. Every part of the body is subject to possibly having something wrong with it. Why would the brain be any different?
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 02:35 AM   #12
Architect
Professional INTP
 
Architect's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,692
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
I don't entirely agree with this... You can't seriously think that there is no such thing as disorders of the brain, can you???
I'm saying that present medical and psychiatric practice is to over diagnosis. An example in medicine recently is prostate disorders. A few years ago they were telling us to all get PSA tests which I knew was a highly variable measurement. Many men got cancer treatment who didn't need it. Finally the medical community realized they were over diagnosing.

Likewise with psychiatric diagnosis. Two anecdotes, a friends wife is depressed. Knowing them it's clear to me she is an ISFJ who is trying to suppress her dysfunctional childhood, but being an ISFJ this causes huge conflict and thus depression. Her various shrinks just give her pills that don't help (but cost $500/month and cause other problems). Another example is a friend who went to a depth therapist for years, to deal with the simple fact that they had an unusual type. I recognized this and after much work got them to understand themselves. They left therapy because now they now why they are the way they are.

I don't know how you surmised that I think actual mental disorders don't exist. I've closely known a schizophrenic and don't have illusions about that. But I also believe that kids are getting diagnosed with phantom 'conditions'.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I don't see emotions as something that need to be controlled, they're just information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjots
Because I think the Singularity is much more interesting than the Rapture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSurfer
I don't really care to act against my nature anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky
Discovery channel is like introductory porn for INTPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Minsky
I probably wouldn't go skydiving anyhow because my time is too valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8151147
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E404
Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what I actually want and allowing myself to want it...
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 02:46 AM   #13
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I don't know how you surmised that I think actual mental disorders don't exist. I've closely known a schizophrenic and don't have illusions about that. But I also believe that kids are getting diagnosed with phantom 'conditions'.
OK, yeah, that is not unreasonable at all. Sorry didn't mean to put you on the spot. I do remember asking you before what your stance on the psychological community was in general, however.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 02:49 AM   #14
Architect
Professional INTP
 
Architect's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,692
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
OK, yeah, that is not unreasonable at all. Sorry didn't mean to put you on the spot. I do remember asking you before what your stance on the psychological community was in general, however.
I'm not impressed with it. Many years knowing many people going to psychiatrists and getting nothing or worse in return. Most of people's problems are related to type. A small percentage have valid mental disorders. And what does mainstream psychology give us? The Big Five, and dismisses MBTI as being unscientific. Those clowns are laughing on the way to the bank.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I don't see emotions as something that need to be controlled, they're just information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjots
Because I think the Singularity is much more interesting than the Rapture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSurfer
I don't really care to act against my nature anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky
Discovery channel is like introductory porn for INTPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Minsky
I probably wouldn't go skydiving anyhow because my time is too valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8151147
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E404
Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what I actually want and allowing myself to want it...
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 02:50 AM   #15
Sinny91
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 6,314
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Lets think this through. Every part of the body is subject to possibly having something wrong with it. Why would the brain be any different?
Well, who and what defines "wrong"? .. Who defines what's "right"?

But anyway, I'm just musing, I don't have a serious opinion on this.. Well, the closest is my semi serious opinion which is that ADHD is bit of a silly label for an over active mind.

It's your mind.
It's active.
Deal.


No offense, love you much
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 03:44 AM   #16
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I'm not impressed with it. Many years knowing many people going to psychiatrists and getting nothing or worse in return. Most of people's problems are related to type. A small percentage have valid mental disorders. And what does mainstream psychology give us? The Big Five, and dismisses MBTI as being unscientific. Those clowns are laughing on the way to the bank.
Progress must be made in this area. There is no denying that psychiatrists (and drug pharmaceutical companies) are better at solving problems with the brain than they were 10 years ago. I know you say you don't see psychiatry helping many, but there are plenty of success stories out there as well.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 03:46 AM   #17
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
Well, who and what defines "wrong"? .. Who defines what's "right"?
We, as a collective, decide.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
Architect
Professional INTP
 
Architect's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,692
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Progress must be made in this area. There is no denying that psychiatrists (and drug pharmaceutical companies) are better at solving problems with the brain than they were 10 years ago. I know you say you don't see psychiatry helping many, but there are plenty of success stories out there as well.
Agree, I shouldn't imply they are useless. I'm expressing personal frustration at their refusal to understand MBTI, misuse of the scientific method and over prescribing of medication ('to a man with a hammer everything is a nail').
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I don't see emotions as something that need to be controlled, they're just information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjots
Because I think the Singularity is much more interesting than the Rapture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSurfer
I don't really care to act against my nature anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky
Discovery channel is like introductory porn for INTPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Minsky
I probably wouldn't go skydiving anyhow because my time is too valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8151147
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E404
Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what I actually want and allowing myself to want it...
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-November-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Haim
Member
 
Haim's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Israel
Posts: 577
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragglehoff View Post
Hello, I have ADHD and I would love to share some Tips/Expieriences with u guys.
Therefore, I would like to ask u some questions:

1. Do u guys take medication (ritalin etc.) and what do u think about it?
2. Do u have any rituals (such as medicating) that helps improving urself?
3. How did u change over the years?
1)only for a few years when I was a child.What do I think about it?I hate it, the way it made me feel like a robot zombie, the way it made clear the stupid situation I was having like being focus on looking at the wall, the fact that it was given to me and people, not because my brain is wrong but because it is not right, right is a direction my brain is just left or up or down left or 4th dimensional direction.
2,3)more ability to not do things which I do not care about.
Haim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 02:52 AM   #20
CerebralMonkey
Redshirt
 
CerebralMonkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
We, as a collective, decide.
And the collective has never been wrong before right?
__________________
Spoiler:
CerebralMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 03:09 AM   #21
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralMonkey View Post
And the collective has never been wrong before right?
Who says there actually is a right and wrong?
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 03:21 AM   #22
CerebralMonkey
Redshirt
 
CerebralMonkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Who says there actually is a right and wrong?
The collective...?? LoL
__________________
Spoiler:
CerebralMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 03:22 AM   #23
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralMonkey View Post
The collective...?? LoL
Never question the collective for the collective is made up of individuals.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 03:32 AM   #24
CerebralMonkey
Redshirt
 
CerebralMonkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Never question the collective for the collective is made up of individuals.
I'm not questioning the collective. I'm questioning why you argue against your own statement with the exact same argument you used to argue someone else's argument. Ok, maybe I am questioning the collective. The collective is an abstract concept to begin with and is relative to culture, demographics and time.
__________________
Spoiler:
CerebralMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 03:36 AM   #25
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,219
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralMonkey View Post
I'm not questioning the collective. I'm questioning why you argue against your own statement with the exact same argument you used to argue someone else's argument. Ok, maybe I am questioning the collective. The collective is an abstract concept to begin with and is relative to culture, demographics and time.
You can see the collective in the differences between individuals.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-November-2016, 11:18 PM   #26
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,481
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
Well, the closest is my semi serious opinion which is that ADHD is bit of a silly label for an over active mind.
That's a medically irresponsible opinion to have, and is not objective. The DSM is not based on "it's all in your mind, just deal."

However, slapping labels on people and over-prescribing pills is also medically irresponsible. The Medical Industrial Complex aka Big Pharma is definitely something you have to watch out for. But if someone's genuinely got something wrong with their brain, then a chemical may be needed to fix it. The sticky wicket is being an informed medical consumer and making sure nobody railroads you into being their cash cow.

I'm not even slightly remotely ADHD. I've had enormous powers of concentration all my life. Nor am I OCD. I've got a great brain. It is difficult for me to empathize with different mental configurations because I don't have one, so it's beyond my personal experience.

I have a friend who says he's ADHD, but I haven't seen it affect our interpersonal communication in any way. Which makes me wonder how much of a thing it really is for him. On the other hand, I talk with him. I never sat around in grade school taking classes with him. Maybe it would be more obvious to me, if I had observed him under different and more relevant life conditions.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-June-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
40winks
Mage
 
40winks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragglehoff View Post
Hello, I have ADHD and I would love to share some Tips/Expieriences with u guys.
Therefore, I would like to ask u some questions:

1. Do u guys take medication (ritalin etc.) and what do u think about it?
2. Do u have any rituals (such as medicating) that helps improving urself?
3. How did u change over the years?
I have a relatively cheap cure for you, its called nutrition. ADHD is largely due to consuming allergies. Review the "blood type diet" and your ADHD symptoms will subside.

If you'd like to REALLY blow your mind - completely remove sugar from your diet.

Grounding rituals in the morning will also help, but my first two suggestions should probably be your first steps.

Good luck.
40winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-June-2017, 06:23 PM   #28
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,806
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

I have an on and off relationship with Ritalin.

I took them 2 years ago in my freshmen or sophomore year for a few terms.

I quit them after I grew worried I was using it as a crutch and potential side effects.

Then recently I got back on it. Using it is really like being on a tight rope. You don't want to take it too frequently or you will develop tolerance but you also don't want to take it too infrequently because you would create an all-nighter for yourself by not working day by day. If you develop tolerance to it, it could also fuck up your stock self-control. You will be less willing to work without it. So use it when you really need it. Easier said than done because today has been a tolerance hell for me. They are lasting just two hours instead of the usually three and a half.

I jog semi-often now. I try to get my thoughts off on the treadmill. I try to jog everyday but my sleep schedule is terrific piece of turd.

I also now feed more into my impulses when I can. I am now convinced that these urges are for a reason and that we need to be more free to move. So I do get my thrills from feeding into them.

I also avoid masturbation like the plague. My penis is the only evidence of God I have. What kind of sick motherfucker puts a euphoria dispensary between ones legs? It kills all motivation and delivers intense lethargy. Sometimes headaches if I over do it. No, its not porn. I have a wild imagination.

Cutting back on sugar would be a great idea. Cutting it out is scary. I haven't gotten there yet.

I also have two cups of americano in my thermos. I pour some water in it so it gets all diluted and lasts the entire day. With enough of coffee I sometimes don't need ritalin.

I'd suggest not to get confused with whether you have ADHD or not. No one really needs it just to eat food and not get killed. It's more about are you willing to take it. You don't deserve anything. Just do what it takes to survive and achieve your goals.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-June-2017, 09:16 PM   #29
40winks
Mage
 
40winks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
Cutting back on sugar would be a great idea. Cutting it out is scary. I haven't gotten there yet.
You should try it, even if just for a week. Everyone deserves a front row seat to witness the REAL zombie apocalypse.

Sugar is a hell of a drug.
__________________
This isn't my first life.
40winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-June-2017, 05:43 AM   #30
venicerocco
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4
unknownfirefox
Default ADHD as INTP

Motivation, lethargy, impulse control, focus, long term planning are all interconnected. Sometimes speed can help some people with these issues. What's really misunderstood about the umbrella they call "ADHD" is that it's a long term psychological issue not a short term one. People with these problems cannot make long term plans, they cannot stay on a project long enough to see it through and so it impacts their lives because deflation, disinterest robs them of their potential.

It's sad knowing that at 40, I barely achieved any of my dreams because I wasn't able to manage or control my: "excitement leads to deflation" mental state or my impulse control or be able to project myself past tomorrow, make a strategic plan and STICK TO IT.

This is ADHD. And speed isn't the only thing that can help with the deflation. You have to change your entire mindset. You have to remember and stay motivated for your long term goals which is like gripping onto a metal pole covered in butter. Oh look a bird. It ain't about not fidgeting in class it's about having no savings because you can't think past this afternoon.
venicerocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-June-2017, 03:49 AM   #31
Reluctantly
yer mum and dad
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,892
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
I also avoid masturbation like the plague. My penis is the only evidence of God I have. What kind of sick motherfucker puts a euphoria dispensary between ones legs? It kills all motivation and delivers intense lethargy. Sometimes headaches if I over do it. No, its not porn. I have a wild imagination.


headaches? Lies!! You can only masturbate so much anyway...
__________________
Reluctantly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-June-2017, 04:45 AM   #32
EyeSeeCold
lust for life
 
EyeSeeCold's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 7,817
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
I have an on and off relationship with Ritalin.

I took them 2 years ago in my freshmen or sophomore year for a few terms.

I quit them after I grew worried I was using it as a crutch and potential side effects.

Then recently I got back on it. Using it is really like being on a tight rope. You don't want to take it too frequently or you will develop tolerance but you also don't want to take it too infrequently because you would create an all-nighter for yourself by not working day by day. If you develop tolerance to it, it could also fuck up your stock self-control. You will be less willing to work without it. So use it when you really need it. Easier said than done because today has been a tolerance hell for me. They are lasting just two hours instead of the usually three and a half.

I jog semi-often now. I try to get my thoughts off on the treadmill. I try to jog everyday but my sleep schedule is terrific piece of turd.

I also now feed more into my impulses when I can. I am now convinced that these urges are for a reason and that we need to be more free to move. So I do get my thrills from feeding into them.

I also avoid masturbation like the plague. My penis is the only evidence of God I have. What kind of sick motherfucker puts a euphoria dispensary between ones legs? It kills all motivation and delivers intense lethargy. Sometimes headaches if I over do it. No, its not porn. I have a wild imagination.

Cutting back on sugar would be a great idea. Cutting it out is scary. I haven't gotten there yet.

I also have two cups of americano in my thermos. I pour some water in it so it gets all diluted and lasts the entire day. With enough of coffee I sometimes don't need ritalin.

I'd suggest not to get confused with whether you have ADHD or not. No one really needs it just to eat food and not get killed. It's more about are you willing to take it. You don't deserve anything. Just do what it takes to survive and achieve your goals.
But did the medication work for your symptoms? Improved completion rates, punctuality etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40winks View Post
I have a relatively cheap cure for you, its called nutrition. ADHD is largely due to consuming allergies. Review the "blood type diet" and your ADHD symptoms will subside.

If you'd like to REALLY blow your mind - completely remove sugar from your diet.

Grounding rituals in the morning will also help, but my first two suggestions should probably be your first steps.

Good luck.
I find this really hard to believe. Are there any papers or articles to read or is this based on experience?
__________________
Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-June-2017, 08:37 AM   #33
pjoa09
dopaminergic
 
pjoa09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: th
Posts: 1,806
macossafari
Default Re: ADHD as INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
But did the medication work for your symptoms? Improved completion rates, punctuality etc?

I find this really hard to believe. Are there any papers or articles to read or is this based on experience?
Well I am not entirely sure. Life feels a tonne easier. I can really power through shit I don't like and power harder through things that required more thought.

Punctuality comes from within. I just have the ability to stay on one tab on my web browser and not bounce between 5 different retarded thoughts I have every second.

Regarding sugar. I have felt it work. I can see a vague pseudo-science rationale to it. With ritalin it feels like you are tapping into your hormone reserves. Sugar is a sappy bastard that takes a little of it. So you might not have enough when you need it.

Masturbation is evil as fuck. It takes it all away. It leaves nothing for ritalin to work with.

Exercise and sleep however fill that shit up.

If I feel like my pills aren't working anymore. I take a good nap and come back to the task.It feels like new again.

Running has at times also replicated the feelings that ritalin gives me. So I can function through the day if I just had a run and some coffee. Given that I abstained from masturbation, alcohol, and sugar.

But as an ADHDer I'd say routine is quite important too. I really can't decide what I want to do when I am free, so if I schedule my activities I feel less lost.
__________________
"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." -The Joker

"It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort." -redbaron
pjoa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypothesis: ADHD Void The Lounge Archive 20 11th-June-2013 11:01 AM
ADHD Really? pjoa09 Psychology & Neuroscience Archive 37 25th-March-2012 06:20 PM
INTP = ADHD? Yes I know.. just take a look. Lobstrich Psychology & Neuroscience Archive 15 24th-February-2011 03:22 PM
INTP vs. ADHD subdude Psychology & Neuroscience Archive 30 18th-February-2011 11:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts