INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > School & Work

Notices

Old 10th-January-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
AndyC
Hm?

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Opinions on Future Jobs

Don't need much explanation, but what do you think concerning computers and stuff, the futures of jobs? I read an article today on the importance of philosophy in education although there's not a lot to get out of it. Anyways, if you're interested: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...land?CMP=fb_gu

I've run into an opinion from Nick Bostrom, but it's not even a quote (just from an article), and he apparently details the importance of polymath philosophers in the future?
Old 11th-January-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Opinions on Future Jobs

With needs met, people will spend time doing what they want to do. But only if they are not starving to death. No job = no money. No money = no food. So unless we give people money or robots give people free stuff, riots will happen. People can vote. When the robots come it will be Trump times ten. Driverless cars will displace many workers first. Besides all that, I get 659 a month. I spend all my time on the computer.

I understand how feedback loops create intelligence. I am waiting for A.I. to become smart enough that it will be a real assistant. And I am waiting for the virtual reality internet to become available so I have more stuff to do. Most people in the future will be satisfied with playing video games like it is right now. Stuff to do is not hard to find. Lack of money and socialization does hinder people somewhat. Technology can fix this.

luminous awareness

Spoiler:
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty View Post
With needs met, people will spend time doing what they want to do. But only if they are not starving to death. No job = no money. No money = no food. So unless we give people money or robots give people free stuff, riots will happen. People can vote. When the robots come it will be Trump times ten. Driverless cars will displace many workers first. Besides all that, I get 659 a month. I spend all my time on the computer.

I understand how feedback loops create intelligence. I am waiting for A.I. to become smart enough that it will be a real assistant. And I am waiting for the virtual reality internet to become available so I have more stuff to do. Most people in the future will be satisfied with playing video games like it is right now. Stuff to do is not hard to find. Lack of money and socialization does hinder people somewhat. Technology can fix this
Okay, but where does it end?

Will you really be satisfied when you can experience the internet in VR? Or will you placate yourself with it while you wait for the next anticipated technological development?

Will having an AI assistant put you in control and make everything better or will it essentially remove your direct connection with the world, resulting in a diminished sense of place within a greater context and a lack of meaning for your own life?

I'm of the understanding that to put one's faith in the expectation of a utopic future that will make everything better is akin to simply resigning: undermining your ability to shape your own future; handing over your influence on the present to others.

AI. VR. AR.
These are all just acronyms for what are essentially tools. Tools to make the things people are currently doing easier. Tools to allow people to reach higher.
An example: Who waited around for personal computers to become a popular thing? Probably nobody. Have they answered all of our problems? No. Will they? Probably not. They're just tools. Tools to make existing tasks easier. Tools that unlock possibilities for new ways to solve problems - but also tools that create their own set of problems. I think this is what you can ultimately expect from new technologies. After all, what's the point of acquiring new technology if you don't have anything useful to do with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManBeyond View Post
u never know if u fuck a lot
without shield
like a true warrior
Happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I am not good at networking. If I was I would have friends to do things with. If I could meet people in VR this would expand the amount of people I interact with.

luminous awareness

Spoiler:
Old 11th-January-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Would it though?

Why would social networking be made more accessible? Online social networking already (in my opinion) doesn't bring people any closer together, but only gives them something to cling to - an illusion of connectedness. What would VR contribute to that?

And if you're not drawn to networking now, what makes you think that this will change?

(Note: sorry I'm not trying to attack you or anything. This is just interesting to think about)
Quote:
without shield
like a true warrior
Old 11th-January-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I think VR would just be a better form of conferencing. Like ComicCon. Networking in person at conferences is more effective because people share interests and or personality. It would be cheaper than plane tickets and the verity of conferences would be larger. People could create their own worlds together in VR based on their interests. I have never been to a conference before but I would like to, in in real life or VR.

luminous awareness

Spoiler:
Old 11th-January-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Don't people already do that though*? Albeit sans VR (which as we all know is just rad ... and I can't wait to start using it with my work - the software I use already has the capability to use it for project review purposes, but I won't get on board until it's integrated in the software's work environment)

*Originally chat rooms, then online forums, then etc
Quote:
without shield
like a true warrior
Old 11th-January-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

macossafari

In terms of finding people with the same obscure interests/goals the world before the internet is completely different to the world after the internet and if you're looking for a job being on the right forums and having a LinkedIn account is extremely helpful, in many ways the world has changed, dramatically, and for the better. Though of course the other side of that is that many employers (especially in IT) expect you to have a LinkdIn profile, if you don't have your entire career history proudly on show they might assume you're not worth knowing.

I think we live in a time of incredible personal empowerment, if you're really into cars everything you might ever want to know about them is on the internet, for free. On the internet you can get the software and knowledge to design a totally custom car and with a good crowd funding campaign you could start your own company. Now I'm not saying it's easy, nothing worth doing is easy, but we as individuals in this modern era have access to a wealth of knowledge and software that is unprecedented and ever growing.

I think now is the best time in all of history to go your own way, to start your own business, to find those opportunities that haven't been discovered yet, y'know what's the next Uber going to be?
It could be anything.
Old 11th-January-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Yes! +1

(Except the linked in part. That's not really a dynamic thats very prevalent in my industry. It's helpful, but far from essential)

But yeah, now is definitely the era to push the limits!
Quote:
without shield
like a true warrior
Old 11th-January-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty View Post
When the robots come it will be Trump times ten.
And you've been marked for termination, have a nice day
Old 11th-January-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
Blarraun
straightedgy

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

People willing to remain relevant will merge with AI, implant their brains with BCI's and become capable of problem solving and contributing value to the new challenges.

The rest will probably turn to social life and escapism until the moment they die.
AI will be capable of generating the perfect kind of entertainment, the kind you'd be unwilling to depart from, always fascinating and engaging, making you forget your ambitions or problems.

I suppose much of the world will become this kind of VR clinic for the terminally obsolete.
Blarraun is offline   Reply With Quote