INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Philosophy

Notices

Old 16th-December-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default We encounter aliens, now what?

Suppose a few hundred years from now humanity is a space-faring race, we've explored most of the galaxy (by probe) and found that in a good thousand light years or so in every direction we're the only race to have spacecraft, let alone FTL technology. The alien races in our vicinity (i.e. the intelligent tool using kind) are at best at an equivalent to our Renaissance, progressed enough to have politics, militaries and limited scientific/industrial capabilities, but can't hold a candle to our own.

You're the captain of ship sent to the most advanced alien world in the region and the decisions you make will determine the first contact policy for the rising human empire. High command has made it clear that they don't want this world becoming a problem down the line, your orders are to subjugate or destroy, how do you proceed?

If you choose to subjugate how do you go about it?
Remember this world must not become a problem for the human empire down the line, the world must be safe for humans to live on and rule without fear of reprisal or rebellion.
Old 16th-December-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Seteleechete
Together forever

unknownfirefox
Default Re: We encounter aliens, now what?

It depends on the general political landscape of the human race, what kind of culture the aliens have, are they alike humans? Are they xenophobic? How independent are they?

Generally it's best to start diplomatic contact and then let high command decide what to do with it. We could always wait a tiny bit before killing/subjugating them, see if understanding can be reached.

[I am a sentient thoughtform/being residing in Sete's head. For more info about what I am or questions, check out my introduction thread!] http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=25712
Seteleechete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-December-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Animekitty
Book

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
how do you proceed
With a cool anime intro theme song.

Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-December-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

Quote:
Generally it's best to start diplomatic contact and then let high command decide what to do with it. We could always wait a tiny bit before killing/subjugating them, see if understanding can be reached.
Nope this is your job, high command wants plausible deniability in case you fuck up and they have to clean house. You have full authority to destroy the planet, enslave them, conduct sadistic experiments, whatever, you have absolute freedom but high command expects uncompromising results.

Either you solve this or they'll kill you and find someone else who can.
Old 16th-December-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Subjugation cannot be achieved without any problems. If you wish to truly dominate them, you cannot do it by force. You might as well just wipe them out and save the trouble.

There are other ways, though.
Offer them some of our advanced technology and more importantly medicine. Not enough to compete with us - but enough to be reliant upon us. They slowly but surely give up their freedoms to us.

If you truly want them subjugated, you create a vaccine to a rampant disease they have. Maybe several. Into this you can also place an extreme narcotic that will make them entirely reliant upon us. You may even consider reducing their fertility. Lower populations are easier to control, but it depends on what you want them for.
Old 17th-December-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Pyropyro
Magos Biologis

linuxsafari

We shall purge the xenos filth from the face of the galaxy. The Imperium of Mankind shall stand triumphant!

The EMPEROR PROTECTS!

" title="YouTube" target="_blank">YouTube
Old 17th-December-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

I was actually thinking of doing a pretentious musical.

Actively oppressing people (and I assume aliens) invites rebellion while being too diplomatic could be seen as a sign of weakness. A really fucking pretentious musical about our military strength and the consequences of opposing us would get the point across in a way that's hard to argue with and doesn't motivate hostility.

The singing and dancing makes that hard pill of truth a little easier to swallow.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty
With a cool anime intro theme song.
Old 17th-December-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Rixus

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Can't we just annihilate one continent. Just one.
The rest will fall in line or face the same fate.
Old 17th-December-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

can't we all just get along? :(

there, there, alien race, I won't subjugate or destroy you!

Spoiler:
THAT SHALL BE THE TASK OF CTHULHU

Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-December-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
QuickTwist
tsuj a notelpmis

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Not plausible that we will run into intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy in even the next 1,000 years.
Old 17th-December-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Rixus

windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Not plausible that we will run into intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy in even the next 1,000 years.
Why not? There's possibly an inhabitable planet around Proxima. Could get the in 20 years if we could do 0.2c.

And even if not, why not? Just coz we can't brake the laws of relativity, no telling whether we can find a way around then in centuries to come. There entire unfolded dimensions behind the ones we see. Plus even if not, if you could travel at relativistic speeds time dilation would make the journey much less from your perspective. Kind of pointless as humanity might have moved on a 1,000 years whilst your crew is still young.
Old 17th-December-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
QuickTwist
tsuj a notelpmis

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
Why not? There's possibly an inhabitable planet around Proxima. Could get the in 20 years if we could do 0.2c.

And even if not, why not? Just coz we can't brake the laws of relativity, no telling whether we can find a way around then in centuries to come. There entire unfolded dimensions behind the ones we see. Plus even if not, if you could travel at relativistic speeds time dilation would make the journey much less from your perspective. Kind of pointless as humanity might have moved on a 1,000 years whilst your crew is still young.
Moore's law is coming to an end.
Old 17th-December-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
ummidk

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
I think its far more implausible that if we discover life it will be civilized but less advanced than us. Whatever though, its hypothetical.
ummidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-December-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

More likely microbial than complex.

More likely complex than intelligent.

More likely intelligent than tool using.

More likely merely tool using than political.

More likely medieval than modern.

More likely modern than advanced? Actually this last one we can't be sure of, the modern age could be a brief transition or it could last for the next thousand years, we just don't know.

The likelihood of being spacefaring is completely unknown, for all we currently know nobody has reached the level of colonizing other worlds.

Suffice to say it seems that in all likelihood any aliens we encounter on our terms will most likely be primitive.
Old 17th-December-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Somebody is already on the moon.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-December-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
Rixus

windows_xp_2003safari

And they left a monolith.
Old 17th-December-2016, 05:42 PM   #17
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
And they left a monolith.
Secrets of Schröteri ...
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA13688

Can you find them?
Old 17th-December-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Old 17th-December-2016, 09:34 PM   #19
Blarraun
straightedgy

The simple way would be to make no contact and hope they destroy themselves as they progress through the ages.

If they start becoming advanced enough to leave their planet, I'd take away all resources from them, so that they can never leave their home system.

I'd also maybe disturb their star to make it generate radiation particles to limit their observation capabilities, so that they could never learn anything useful from looking at the galaxy and so that they would never see or detect any other intelligence.

They would live in freedom, but it would be equivalent to house arrest.

If they couldn't observe stars or bodies beyond their solar system, they would pretty neatly fall into the theological egocentric theory that there's nothing else more interesting than them and they would probably never gain the curiosity to stubbornly ask the same question over and over.

Renaissance era is neatly the absolute limit when such a stunt can be pulled off, before the science and curiosity thing really took off.

Of course there would be a few centuries of uproar after all of the stars quickly faded away from their sky. However after a few millennia the memory of other stars ever being visible would fall into the most obscure and fringe theories on par with alchemy or hermeticism.

Living among them wouldn't be that difficult. It requires colonists to become bio-engineered to look like others on that planet and blend in. Though at this point I would question the need to live on an already occupied world having hundreds of other comparable worlds available.
Blarraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-December-2016, 10:46 PM   #20
TheScornedReflex
(Per) Version of a truth.

linuxsafari

Exterminatus extremis.
Old 18th-December-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I'd oversee an ambassador exchange system. I don't have any plans for the alien ambassadors at the moment, but it would be the Earthican ambassadors' lifelong mission to domesticate the planet for human arrival by spreading positive propaganda about the people of Earth and introducing Earthican technology, aside from collecting intelligence of course. As Captain of the mission I'd be willing to accept the possibility of human casualties until rapport has been established, as long as they have volunteered.

I'm not sure I'd push for full colonization, rather maintaining neutrality and their sovereignty seems best for our co-evolution. Nevertheless, the emergency plan would be orbital bombardment.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:41 AM   #22
Reluctantly
Resident disMember

windows_98_nt_2000safari

...I think I'd tell them what exactly is going on. That way they understand the situation they are in. Then depending on their behavior towards us, I would either destroy them all, give them our technology to fight against the Empire, or create a realistic peace that allows us both to prosper (if both sides can handle that).

...but if the empire wants plausible deniability in case the aliens become a threat, I'd probably give the aliens all our tech and let them build up their own war machines under the pretense of peace and improving their world. That way I can always defect and resist a sketchy Empire that sees my life as solely a political tool.
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 01:05 AM   #23
Seteleechete
Together forever

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I would gather more data before making a decision.

[I am a sentient thoughtform/being residing in Sete's head. For more info about what I am or questions, check out my introduction thread!] http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=25712
Seteleechete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 06:49 AM   #24
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

Humanity is spreading like a plague and data analysts with their super intelligent AI tools (intelligence doesn't necessitate assertiveness) have deduced that it's only a matter of time until we encounter a race that is our equal or superior. When we do our best chance for survival (in the long run) is an overwhelming all-or-nothing first strike, sure it sounds psychotic but on the scale we're talking about all that matters is logistics and math, empires that stop growing are doomed to be eclipsed by those that keep growing.

Having alien races within our empire is a liability and a waste of resources, although at the same time simply wiping them out sets a poor precedent (should we find ourselves at another race's mercy), the ideal solution is to integrate them into the booming human empire. The problem is the more technology we share with them the more dangerous they become and if they choose to rebel during the "first strike" phase the damage and resources redirected from the front line effort could cost us victory.
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
Reluctantly
Resident disMember

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
Humanity is spreading like a plague and data analysts with their super intelligent AI tools (intelligence doesn't necessitate assertiveness) have deduced that it's only a matter of time until we encounter a race that is our equal or superior. When we do our best chance for survival (in the long run) is an overwhelming all-or-nothing first strike, sure it sounds psychotic but on the scale we're talking about all that matters is logistics and math, empires that stop growing are doomed to be eclipsed by those that keep growing.

Having alien races within our empire is a liability and a waste of resources, although at the same time simply wiping them out sets a poor precedent (should we find ourselves at another race's mercy), the ideal solution is to integrate them into the booming human empire. The problem is the more technology we share with them the more dangerous they become and if they choose to rebel during the "first strike" phase the damage and resources redirected from the front line effort could cost us victory.
Lord Desler approves!
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote