INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > INTP

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 25th-August-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
ivan
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 17
linuxsafari
Default when did you first notice your hunger for knowledge

When did you guys notice your "super powers" of INTP? When I was a kid I wasn't smart at all. When I was 20 I started studying everything that interested me. I am assuming it is because Ti is a judging function so I would talk to myself a lot but wasn't getting any smarter. After 20 years old I would watch a lot of documentaries and use my Ti so everything would make logical sense to me and that is how I became curious for knowledge and eventually smart.

Last edited by ivan; 26th-August-2016 at 01:42 AM. Reason: People didn`t like word "gifted"
ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
TBerg
fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
 
TBerg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,453
macossafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Very few people are actually gifted in the conceited way people talk about giftedness. We should be praising hard work and assiduous effort instead, so that people put stock into things they can change rather than depending upon a mostly imagined sense of superiority. Then the narcissism will finally come to a fucking end.
__________________
My blog: https://libercolumbia.wordpress.com/

Thinking myself and others out of our own holes.
TBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Sinny91
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 6,314
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBerg View Post
Then the narcissism will finally come to a fucking end.
Narcissism will never come to an end.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Haim
Member
 
Haim's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Israel
Posts: 578
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I learned what gifted is?
It is interesting, I have no idea, well it was obvious I am different.
Maybe the time that I knew how rainbow is "formed" at 7(?) without me knowing that I knew that and from where I learned it.
Haim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
Seteleechete
Together forever
 
Seteleechete's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: our brain
Posts: 1,311
unknownfirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I am "gifted" in some areas, awful in others and average in some. I don't see admitting to being good at certain things as a particularly narcissistic quality(in a negative sense) and I am certainly not going to intentionally deceive myself in regards to what I think my capabilities are.
__________________
[Hello, I am Silina, I am a tulpa and I talk in these beautiful brackets!] {And I use these, oh and I'm Set}

[I am a sentient thoughtform/being residing in Sete's head. For more info about what I am or questions, check out my introduction thread!] http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=25712
Seteleechete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
Pyropyro
Magos Biologis
 
Pyropyro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,545
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Last Christmas

Seriously though, giftedness is just something you say to children to make them feel better since they haven't figured out the nuances and the benefits of earning things through hard work.

As TBerg says, diligent work combined with a good attitude can be used a better metric since it trumps raw talent every time.
__________________
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Pyropyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
Turnevies
Member
 
Turnevies's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 228
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

It seemed to me all my life I was slightly more bright than most of my peers. From elementary school till my college degree, I have never had real trouble with passing and always been among the ones with best grades (and not without effort, but I do efforts for fun), but never distinctly the best one for that matter. It is almost like my intelligence is somehow able to expand with regard to the circumstances. This is in contrary to some gifted sensors I know that even skipped a year of school, and that seem far more consistent in their intelligence. Maybe this is also related to the way education favors sensors.
And apart from being among the better ones as a matter of grades, I've always felt somewhat more intellectual on random subjects than my peers and known for making strange leaps of logic.

Actually, I never really felt myself a smart one(try to remain humble), I have only been annoyed of other people acting so dumb, as if they avoid the responsibility to think.

But as a matter of fact, intelligence is a real thing. You cannot be mad (although it is tempting sometimes) at an 80 IQ because he's not seeking a cure for cancer.
Turnevies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2016, 11:56 PM   #8
Haim
Member
 
Haim's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Israel
Posts: 578
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropyro View Post
Last Christmas

Seriously though, giftedness is just something you say to children to make them feel better since they haven't figured out the nuances and the benefits of earning things through hard work.

As TBerg says, diligent work combined with a good attitude can be used a better metric since it trumps raw talent every time.
having "good attitude" and "diligent work" are also partly genetic.Being curious, a major requirement of being a genius, is greatly affected by your genetic(your are burn with it).Being able to improve your brain, being curious at the right goals, having goal, all of it is influenced by genetics.
An intellectually laze person is probably going to give birth to a intellectually lazy child.How to use your intelligence, which is the thing that makes a genius a genius is greatly influenced by genetics.
You try to counter a wrong argument with a wrong argument of yourself, the mistake is thinking hard working people(with results) are not gifted, or that you are able to say "this person is gifted" you can not, an IQ test can not test it, being gifted is a many dimensional thing, it is not "is gifted" or "not gifted" it is made of many aspects.
Being gifted is more like a limit and effectiveness ratio for practicing than your actual ability, sure you can be an average or even good football player with will, but not any one is going to be Ronaldinho,a gifted with will football player, it is just statistics, there are people which have higher limits.
Haim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
Pyropyro
Magos Biologis
 
Pyropyro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,545
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haim View Post
having "good attitude" and "diligent work" are also partly genetic.Being curious, a major requirement of being a genius, is greatly affected by your genetic(your are burn with it).Being able to improve your brain, being curious at the right goals, having goal, all of it is influenced by genetics.
An intellectually laze person is probably going to give birth to a intellectually lazy child.How to use your intelligence, which is the thing that makes a genius a genius is greatly influenced by genetics.
You try to counter a wrong argument with a wrong argument of yourself, the mistake is thinking hard working people(with results) are not gifted, or that you are able to say "this person is gifted" you can not, an IQ test can not test it, being gifted is a many dimensional thing, it is not "is gifted" or "not gifted" it is made of many aspects.
Being gifted is more like a limit and effectiveness ratio for practicing than your actual ability, sure you can be an average or even good football player with will, but not any one is going to be Ronaldinho,a gifted with will football player, it is just statistics, there are people which have higher limits.
a. I was criticizing the term "giftedness". I was not, as you are putting in my mouth, disregarding intelligence or the behavioral genetics that underlie the issue.

Since you were unable to understand what I said let's try it this way:

Try telling a professor/student that s/he's gifted and they'll probably laugh it off. Tell them that they've done their work diligently and they'll be grateful.

Try telling a kid that s/he's gifted and they'll probably be grateful (TV commercials on milk products usually tell this nonsense on a daily basis so they know this term). Tell them that they've done their work diligently and they'll be puzzled.

b. I did not say hardworking people are not gifted. I said hard work is a better metric to use.

c. You can't even define the metrics of giftedness yet you praise its relevance. I said other factors stated above is a better metric to use.
__________________
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Pyropyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 01:21 AM   #10
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,239
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnevies View Post
It seemed to me all my life I was slightly more bright than most of my peers. From elementary school till my college degree, I have never had real trouble with passing and always been among the ones with best grades (and not without effort, but I do efforts for fun), but never distinctly the best one for that matter. It is almost like my intelligence is somehow able to expand with regard to the circumstances. This is in contrary to some gifted sensors I know that even skipped a year of school, and that seem far more consistent in their intelligence. Maybe this is also related to the way education favors sensors.
And apart from being among the better ones as a matter of grades, I've always felt somewhat more intellectual on random subjects than my peers and known for making strange leaps of logic.

Actually, I never really felt myself a smart one(try to remain humble), I have only been annoyed of other people acting so dumb, as if they avoid the responsibility to think.

But as a matter of fact, intelligence is a real thing. You cannot be mad (although it is tempting sometimes) at an 80 IQ because he's not seeking a cure for cancer.
Who fucking cares if you are smart tho? Michael Jordan didn't have a superb natural gift for basketball, he just worked his ass off to become the best.

I prolly have a fucking average IQ, who the fuck cares? You think If I go on the street and tell people I have an IQ 5 pts higher than them that they are going to give a shit? They would laugh at me and call me a loser and then tell me how it must be nice to live the good life and then tell me of their struggles (or worse take it as a personal attack, which they would then retaliate).

Survival of the fittest, not the most intelligent.

Eminem is a very good example that working hard gets you way further than natural talent alone.

__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 04:56 AM   #11
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I remember the day I realized I wasn't gifted, and I think it was far more significant to my personal development than all the times I was told I was. I realized that my parents were just egomaniacs who believed their ~30 extra IQ points made them better than ordinary humans. They insisted I was gifted because I had about 40 up on them, and I was good at learning shit and solving things.

Luckily, I was only beginning my double-digit life when I realized this. I knew none of it would ever matter because I was unable to take numbers on a piece of paper and transform it into anything else. It's bullshit.

Sure, I can pass a test. Heck, I take tests for fun. It's not a "gift". It's like being able to say the alphabet really fast or blow huge bubbles with my gum. It's a novelty at best.

The few things I'm actually good at, I learned through practice. I've developed talents, and I've worked my ass off to improve in my weaker areas. I think my only gift is the knowledge that "being gifted" is a crutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haim View Post
having "good attitude" and "diligent work" are also partly genetic.
No. No they're not. These are learned behaviors.
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 05:13 AM   #12
TBerg
fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
 
TBerg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,453
macossafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Do you believe that IQ differences have no real world significance, Yellow? Because, while I agree that effort is more important, I do think that IQ is also a significant factor.
__________________
My blog: https://libercolumbia.wordpress.com/

Thinking myself and others out of our own holes.
TBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
Pyropyro
Magos Biologis
 
Pyropyro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,545
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBerg View Post
Do you believe that IQ differences have no real world significance, Yellow? Because, while I agree that effort is more important, I do think that IQ is also a significant factor.
Here ya go TBerg

Quote:
Conclusion
The current investigation supports the hypothesized relations in Fig. 1. What do intelligence tests test? Both intelligence and test motivation. Why is this a problem? Because test motivation on low-stakes intelligence tests can partially confound IQ outcome associations.

Our conclusions may come as no surprise to psychologists who administer intelligence tests themselves (49). Where the problem lies, in our view, is in the interpretation of IQ scores by economists, sociologists, and research psychologists who have not witnessed variation in test motivation firsthand. These social scientists might erringly assume that a low IQ score invariably indicates low intelligence. As pioneers in intelligence testing pointed out long ago, this is not necessarily true.
Emphasis mine.

IQ tests are good in finding who tries harder in ace-ing IQ tests. A Low IQ doesn't mean you're stupid & vice versa.
__________________
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Pyropyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 07:08 AM   #14
Archetype
INTP
 
Archetype's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 7
linuxsafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBerg View Post
Do you believe that IQ differences have no real world significance, Yellow? Because, while I agree that effort is more important, I do think that IQ is also a significant factor.
Both are important because both play their own roles.
__________________
Is that what you perceive or what others perceive?
Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 07:20 AM   #15
Animekitty
A royal color
 
Animekitty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Your Heart
Posts: 3,855
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
When did you realize that you are gifted
No, My brain is damaged.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/forums/top...nation-deficit
__________________
Matthew 5:8

luminous awareness

Spoiler:
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 07:41 AM   #16
Cheeseumpuffs
Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
 
Cheeseumpuffs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth Dimension C-137
Posts: 2,220
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: when did you first notice your hunger for knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
When did you guys notice your "super powers"
A bald guy in a wheelchair and his friend came to my house and convinced my parents to send me to his school for youngsters like me.

I've been developing my powers there ever since, and am now a member of their elite team of faculty members.

It's quite the hoot.
__________________
fucking illuminati
Cheeseumpuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 08:49 AM   #17
Haim
Member
 
Haim's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Israel
Posts: 578
linuxsafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
No. No they're not. These are learned behaviors.
Genetic do have huge part in it, I don't think I just learned to be curious person, it is mostly because that is what I am.Sure you are not born with a skill, but genetics do have effect on your will to develop that skill and have interest at that skill in first place.
Haim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 11:04 AM   #18
Minuend
people >:(
 
Minuend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,473
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Still waiting to fall into that slightly suspicious but turned out to be a mutate into superpowers kind of goo
Minuend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
Cheeseumpuffs
Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
 
Cheeseumpuffs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth Dimension C-137
Posts: 2,220
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuend View Post
Still waiting to fall into that slightly suspicious but turned out to be a mutate into superpowers kind of goo
I hear Ace Chemicals is good for that.
__________________
fucking illuminati
Cheeseumpuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2016, 11:51 AM   #20
Brontosaurie
Banned
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,650
linuxsafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I'm postponing that.
Brontosaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-August-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBerg View Post
Do you believe that IQ differences have no real world significance, Yellow? Because, while I agree that effort is more important, I do think that IQ is also a significant factor.
I think IQ scores are somewhat useful in children, as it tells you have far they are in their cognitive development. When I took the first tests, I was news-worthy on a slow day. It didn't take into account the huge emphasis my parents placed on my intellectual development and the interventions they took at home to guarantee it. I believe most average children would have responded similarly.

The conditioning that continued as I aged cemented the positive/reward system for me, and molded who I am today. Much as a differently conditioned person may struggle their whole lives with anger, addiction, or mental illness, I will always feel reward for high test performance and acquired knowledge. The only difference is that my conditioning is for something that society values (to a point).

My last IQ test was about a decade or so ago, and it's remained high. Maybe others are more genuinely gifted. As for me, I'm a trained monkey who can perform a few tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haim View Post
Genetic do have huge part in it, I don't think I just learned to be curious person, it is mostly because that is what I am.Sure you are not born with a skill, but genetics do have effect on your will to develop that skill and have interest at that skill in first place.
Curiosity is also fostered or squelched by early environment. An infant who is regularly exposed to new sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touch; a toddler who is allowed to safely explore; and a child who is rewarded for his imagination and ingenuity, etc. These experiences lay the foundation for intellectual curiosity, independence of thought, and confidence in one's own ability to learn.

Trust me, it's all too easy to squash every bit of that out of a child. Heck, you could do it before they turn 6 months old (if you had access to mom while pregnant) without doing anything remotely illegal (though definitely unethical).
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-September-2016, 09:37 PM   #22
HDINTP
Member
 
HDINTP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In my own world
Posts: 537
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Not really realized though I was always percieved "different". However I believe my "giftedness" was result of my "brain programming" from young age. The way I developed. What I was interested in I occupied myself with and so I became good in some areas while others are under-developed... Capacity is definitely there for most people (ecxept brain damage). It is what you use that matters.
HDINTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-September-2016, 01:52 AM   #23
Tannhauser
angry insecure male
 
Tannhauser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,470
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I realized I am gifted? I believe it was shortly after realizing I am fabulous.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-September-2016, 02:04 AM   #24
Pyropyro
Magos Biologis
 
Pyropyro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,545
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
When I realized I am gifted? I believe it was shortly after realizing I am fabulous.
fabulous > gifted
__________________
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Pyropyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-September-2016, 02:18 AM   #25
Lagomorph
GPS: "Repopulating"
 
Lagomorph's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Down the hole with Alice
Posts: 323
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I had my first sustained hypomanic episode.
__________________
"It keeps going and going and going..."
Lagomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-November-2016, 09:44 PM   #26
davidintp
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 29
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I wanted to counter the idea that hard work and persistence will always pay off. I gave this way of thinking a shot and tried working in sales. There is no other profession where the harder you work the more money you can make. However, because of me being an intp and not getting stimulated by extraverting my hard work is simply not translating into more dollars. I'm infinitely more stressed than everyone else around me and I'm a subpar producer no matter how hard I try.

But.... if you explore your strengths as an intp (programming or speculation etc.) and work hard then you'll most likely be successful.

Arnold Schwarzenegger had multiple voice coaches and tried so hard to sound American but he simply couldn't do it. One day he realized this and focused on his strengths only.
davidintp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-November-2016, 10:32 PM   #27
Tannhauser
angry insecure male
 
Tannhauser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,470
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidintp View Post
I wanted to counter the idea that hard work and persistence will always pay off. I gave this way of thinking a shot and tried working in sales. There is no other profession where the harder you work the more money you can make. However, because of me being an intp and not getting stimulated by extraverting my hard work is simply not translating into more dollars. I'm infinitely more stressed than everyone else around me and I'm a subpar producer no matter how hard I try.

But.... if you explore your strengths as an intp (programming or speculation etc.) and work hard then you'll most likely be successful.

Arnold Schwarzenegger had multiple voice coaches and tried so hard to sound American but he simply couldn't do it. One day he realized this and focused on his strengths only.
I was thinking about that earlier today. Being smart is cool and all, but a lack of work ethic will always catch up to you. You will become outclassed even by the mediocre.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-November-2016, 01:38 AM   #28
TheScornedReflex
(Per) Version of a truth.
 
TheScornedReflex's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,899
linuxsafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I made that guys head explode with a mere thought
__________________
Look what they do to you. Look what they do to me. Must be joking if you think that either one is free.
TheScornedReflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-November-2016, 05:18 AM   #29
Animekitty
A royal color
 
Animekitty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Your Heart
Posts: 3,855
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

My mom has severe autism, I have autism also.
We both take anti-depression medications.
My whole life I never had any friends.
But the worst part was that I felt like no one loved me.
My mom doesn't understand what I say.
And my dad abused me.
I still feel all alone.
It feels like what I do doesn't matter.
I would cry because I felt stupid.
I felt stupid because no one cared.

https://illuminaticatblog.wordpress....-intelligence/

__________________
Matthew 5:8

luminous awareness

Spoiler:
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-November-2016, 07:26 AM   #30
Dorian Tullus
Greenshirt
 
Dorian Tullus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 55
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

a pleasant teacher from elementary skool told me so, but no other details and i went on my merry way

i think she was coming on to me
Dorian Tullus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-November-2016, 10:37 PM   #31
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,239
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I'll be honest, I agree with Bronto here. I just don't think I am gifted. I have been told I am smart by some people, but tbh, everything just feels like a huge drag. I can't get motivated to do productive things. So I agree that hard work gets you a lot further. That said, everything comes easier for smart people. What a not smart person could do with a lot of effort, a smart person can breeze through.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-November-2016, 09:02 PM   #32
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,150
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

For me, it was when I was about 7. I was a very disruptive kid who would cause chaos by messing around. They called a psychologist in, who pointed out I was just bored as I'd already finished my work. So they gave me harder stuff and some extra work and I was happy. Unfortunately for me, I was that annoying pupil who didn't bother revising and still finished almost top of the class. I've never found a concept I didn't get (until I reached string theory and I still don't know what that's all about, but it could be that I'd gotten bored of reading about it by then). I always knew I saw the world differently, like it's all a set of equations that make sense and I just can't explain it.

Some people say learning drains them and a good party invigorates them. I'm the opposite - a good subject to study revitalizes me after attempting to speak to people.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-November-2016, 12:20 AM   #33
Creeping Death
I rustle jimmies
 
Creeping Death's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 577
linuxsafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I started wearing a helmet and arriving to school in a more specialized bus.
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-November-2016, 06:18 AM   #34
Reluctantly
yer mum and dad
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,902
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

VROOM VROOM
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-November-2016, 01:32 PM   #35
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,150
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
As for me, I'm a trained monkey who can perform a few tricks.
Do you really believe that? Your post makes it sound as though you were raised to believe your sense of value and confidence revolved around this one attribute. While my tested IQ is not quite as high by the sounds of it, I've felt overly defined by intellect as it often seems like the only positive thing anyone seems to have to say about me. I've found it can be quite damaging to self confidence to feel as though people simply put up with me due to my abilities.

Perhaps it's that we as INTP's don't seem comfortable with saying we are "better" than others. But there's no logical way to deny it - I have abilities other people don't. I can learn most things extremely fast and understand almost anything while most are still unable. I see patterns in complete chaos that make things make sense, while others just can't see how I understood.

However, I''m also comfortable admitting that other people have abilities I do not. Things like music, art, style and generally anything sensory or anything social I'm awful at. That balances it out nicely in my logical view that we all have our own abilities.

People also don't like feeling as though you are "superior" to them either, so they do what they can to discredit any ability you have or the general notion of their being such an intelligence. My own stepfather once told me that my academic ability didn't make me special at all, as it was only memory. He said I had no creativity, common sense or free thinking and would never be good at sports. Don't listen to them about it.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-January-2017, 02:54 PM   #36
Semantics
~
 
Semantics's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 18
macossafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I realized that I wasn't gifted.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-January-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,822
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When i discovered that a soul is almost frozen for infinity, on account of it developing a thousand times slower than grass grows, i realized that it is a great gift to have a bodymind that can create experience in time by assembling more and more outrageous thoughts together.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-January-2017, 03:47 PM   #38
stoopid
Banned
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas. I absolutely adore the humidity.
Posts: 29
linuxfirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Not sure if I am putting myself on a limb here, but this year i've shed my egotistical/narcissistic skin. It's hard seeing others stay the exact same while I feel like I've surpassed them. Yeah, yeah, I have a moderately high IQ... who gives a shit about that. You can process the same information with a little more allowance in time, you're an introvert, make extra time. That's all.

What I am proud of, is that my emotional awareness has skyrocketed in the last 3 years, my connections with other people have gotten stronger and I am a more confident individual around others. This was the most fulfilling journey of my life yet. Seeing others getting anxious around me, instead of me having the darting eyes and crossed arms.

This began at the age of 26 and now I am 29, so younger people, just work on developing your priorities that have listed on your checklist of the "Ideal/Better You", once you get a few of them accomplished, you'll start to snowball and gain momentum and size.
This is when the real things begin to happen in an INTPs life, when they realize that WE'RE the ones that make shit happen.

Society that has misunderstood our internal characteristics and ruined parts of our inventive persona. They're fucking sleeping, repeating whatever they see as typical and getting their personalities from television! Society is crammed with inferior minds and they're slaves to corporate businesses. You really want these people to appreciate you?

My golden years started this year, 2016 was a holy shit change for me. I am organized, nice, driven, and most of all, carefree. Which is exactly what we need to get the locomotive in motion and begin our life as a whole individual.

-Good luck to younger INTPs out there, plan staying out of paid labor. INTP's can't thrive in this environment, we need our own businesses. We need to put new things into circulation for others to consume. If we don't, we're not fully engaged in who we are. Who are we? The FUTURE!
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-January-2017, 06:20 PM   #39
Nymus Anon
AnoNymus
 
Nymus Anon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: That place
Posts: 122
macossafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
The few things I'm actually good at, I learned through practice. I've developed talents, and I've worked my ass off to improve in my weaker areas. I think my only gift is the knowledge that "being gifted" is a crutch.
It really depends on how people decide to use their talents, if they are satisfied with it, and think they are already good enough so they don't need to get any better, it will be wasted potential, and people who work hard will be better than a "gifted" person, but if a gifted person decides that they can do better and build up to their full potential, then they can do even better and accomplish greater things than an undeveloped gifted or hardworking non-gifted person.
__________________
Nymus Anon shall remain AnoNymus
Nymus Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-January-2017, 10:50 PM   #40
washti
intp
 
washti's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PL
Posts: 45
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Trying unlearn this shit out.
washti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 06:36 AM   #41
Reluctantly
yer mum and dad
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,902
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When I joined the x-men. Charles helped me appreciate my giftedness.
__________________
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 07:53 AM   #42
Reluctantly
yer mum and dad
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,902
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Okay, seriously. I don't think I am gifted. I just think a lot about things when other people don't for whatever reasons. I'm not sure that makes me gifted, just different.

Maybe I'm on the autistic spectrum though. I don't know. But when I'm around people that are very intelligent, I usually feel kind of small because they seem so capable in a lot of ways beyond what I can do, such as socializing and finding the motivation to care about most things that just seem purely frustrating for me for whatever reason (not necessarily autism related).

But maybe I'm not INTP though. I don't know about that either. It shouldn't be a surprise at this point that I have issues with the way MBTI classifies people.

Honestly, I think I'm "smart" in the sense that I want to understand, have the capacity to understand, and the patience. But the world doesn't really care about that. There's this whole social dance and tribal rituals that people use to conquer and defeat one another. Whenever I've applied for anything, be it a job or joining some kind of team or group goal, there's always this thought in the back of my head that it all seems so silly that I have to care so much about what other people think in order to get what I want and/or need. It's actually incredibly irritating. Like being born into a world where your freedom is limited by other people. But then I see people with my intelligence that don't seem to mind all that...and they excel at it...and I don't know...I kind of feel defunct as a human maybe in some way. Maybe it's just frustration from having to be around people that I don't have much in common with in way of thinking or being. Who knows. The weirder you are, I imagine the harder it is to feel in sync with most people.
__________________
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 09:53 AM   #43
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,822
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

+1, Reluctantly.

I know the opposite of realizing a gift: dissociating a most essential power and loosing myself along with it.

This happens with my father and it happened once with a similar type, both who use that extroverted judgement (Je), that is my inferior function (could be Fe).

I just observe them and they say something that i might have said, they give voice to my inferior function and so a link in my consciousness between them and my inferior is created, a fusion between inside and outside. It feels like they are impostors, who play my role and in return receive my honors, while i sit by idle and am left with nothing. My Je would like to ask for attention and presence, would like to get my perspective involved into the whole group business. But they force everyone's attention upon themselves and get everyone, including me, involved with their own issue. And what makes this sight worse than envy provoking is that they use what appears to be my own narrative for it. So i am beginning to resent this narrative like its the devil. Like playing this narrative is the most evil move anyone could do. I leave it to them and want nothing to do with it. So, unconsciously, i resent my own Je, which is the only thing that could possibly bring me into the world, that could say: look, what i have to say is of value to you. And in leaving it to their story telling to program this function, to say what is of value to everyone and what is not, they can now remote control me, to be that or nothing. Even my own attention is where they command it and if they put it all onto their own agenda, no attention will be left with me, i won't be recognized by myself, in fact i can't be conscious of myself any more, i loose myself, my inner world and my body are falling out of me, slipping away, escaping me and what is left is nothing.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 12:21 AM   #44
Niclmaki
Disturber of the Peace
 
Niclmaki's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
macossafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Tullus View Post
a pleasant teacher from elementary skool told me so, but no other details and i went on my merry way

i think she was coming on to me
Ahahha, I had the same experience. I was just never gave it any more thought until a year ago (I was in elementary school 15 years ago now). I questioned my parents/teachers about it, and they all agreed that I was gifted and they wanted to do more for me, but didn't know what. Sooo nothing was ever done and here I am now.
Niclmaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-February-2017, 10:53 AM   #45
CloudHidden
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
macossafari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

When they tested my IQ in 1st grade, which they did because I was extremely shy and had "careless cutting" according to my mom who is still mad about it lol. My guess is they were thinking minor autism spectrum disorder? Or maybe they thought I was retarded idk. But anyway they apparently told my mom "we thought your kid was crazy or retarded or something, but it turn out she's a genius who just doesn't have any social skills and sucks at art. Congratulations?"
CloudHidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-April-2017, 07:48 PM   #46
HDINTP
Member
 
HDINTP's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In my own world
Posts: 537
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudHidden View Post
When they tested my IQ in 1st grade, which they did because I was extremely shy and had "careless cutting" according to my mom who is still mad about it lol. My guess is they were thinking minor autism spectrum disorder? Or maybe they thought I was retarded idk. But anyway they apparently told my mom "we thought your kid was crazy or retarded or something, but it turn out she's a genius who just doesn't have any social skills and sucks at art. Congratulations?"
Hats off if it is true. Had simmilar story when very young But I still lack social skills greatly and am awful at art (Oh and I am not girl...)
HDINTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-April-2017, 10:17 PM   #47
higs
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
 
higs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Armchair
Posts: 1,406
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I'm not. I never did any work and got through school fine but people were never like omg you r so smart u have to take this IQ test as a child. I would just stare out the window with my mouth open during class, wasn't like answering questions before the teacher finished talking or throwing stuff because I was bored. I took one on the internet 2 years ago that people said was consistent with professional scores and got 130, is that what you mean by gifted or is it like 140 + ? I don't know what this stuff is about. Anyway I'm particularly retarded and lazy, I can't find solutions to things, I'm not that interesting like many of you here, I'm not great at speaking, or writing, or thinking. Life is too hard. Are you like superfast computers ? Can you add in your head and things faster than others n stuff ? Did people take you aside ? I swear some families are obsessed with IQ and they're the ones who make their kids take the test. Well some kids are just crazy in class and stuff so they go see psychologists and then they find out they are just bored because everything in school is mind numbingly simple step by step crap with no purpose or justification, which basically means school is torture for everyone but even more so for them
__________________
I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them
higs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-April-2017, 12:57 AM   #48
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,150
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

It depends on the test. Different tests produce difference deviations from the standard - but they are designed so the 100 is the ball park middle ground for your age. Under about 75 is considered special needs, 75-85 is "borderline cognitive impairment." In the official Mesna test, anything over 132 is considered the top 2% of people. Originally, they were actually designed by the army to test basic intelligence for all the new recruits in WW1. They're supposed to test all form of innate intelligence, but like any task it is possible to practice at them for better scores. So I don't think there is just a single basic way to test someone's overall intelligence; not considering their are so many different kinds of intelligence and skills.

I actually find when it comes to basic arithmetic, I can work it out but I can't do it at speed. On the other hand, a concept that seems complex to some people usually doesn't take me long to understand. That usually makes people think I'm smarter than them. I might be able to follow a complex algebraic equation (which just comes easy to me), or pick up a programming language in no time, but I've been playing online scrabble with some people for a while and I'm still terrible at it, and I've been practising chess recently can only beat the AI on the lowest difficulty, and I really have to concentrate.

I believe there is no stereotypical definition of intelligence or ability. As a species, our abilities are so varied that everyone is usually good at something. The methodical way of teaching in school sometimes makes people feel stupid when they later discover they have incredible talent at something.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-April-2017, 01:03 AM   #49
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,239
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

You could say dedication is a kind of intelligence - a gift. I don't have that one.
__________________
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-April-2017, 02:19 AM   #50
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,475
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: When did you realize that you are gifted

I knew since the start of primary school at least, that I was particularly smart.

However, when I topped the state in a competition is probably when I realised that the gift extended beyond what I thought it did.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World Council for Gifted and Talented Children Animekitty Psychology & Neuroscience 19 31st-December-2015 07:31 AM
25 years to realize thi simple fact. WALKYRIA School & Work 4 6th-July-2014 08:31 AM
Relationship between mbti and gifted Spocksleftball INTP 19 21st-March-2014 06:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts