INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 17th-September-2013, 06:12 PM   #51
Coolydudey
You could say that.

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Share your cool Tech. Tips

On windows, pressing ctrl+backspace while typing something deletes one whole word. I was amazed at how useful I found this to be.
Old 21st-October-2013, 07:43 PM   #52
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

http://www.techspot.com/guides/230-prevent-automatic-windows-update-restarts/ - Disable the auto restart feature of Windows update

https://prism-break.org - Huge list of open source and free software.

Foobar - An alarm plugin is available that can wake on standby(hibernation)/sleep and play your chosen music.

http://onthehub.com/search/higher-ed/ - Free MS software for STEM fields with Dreamspark Premium (MSDNAA).

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-January-2014, 01:45 AM   #53
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Use a hard drive as the Windows installation media:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Inst...without-upgra/

Quote:
For example, you have a netbook or desktop that you want to install Windows 7 onto, but canít use DVD or USB for whatever reason (or don't want to, like me). This method will allow you to boot and install Windows directly from the hard drive. This guide involves plugging the hard drive into another working computer, preparing the hard drive, placing it back in the system, and installing Windows as usual.

This guide will work for Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have a Windows 8 instructable, but it's essentially the same guide with some Windows 8 pictures. This guide will not work for Windows Vista - I have an instructable for that.
It's faster than through usb.

Throwaway mail account that works with some sites:

http://mailinator.com/

Old 20th-January-2014, 12:07 PM   #54
spongetatle
Redshirt

I'll just throw a bunch of shortcuts out there.

WinKey+Left or Right Arrow = Positions current window to 50 percent horizontally

WinKey+L = Locks computer

Ctrl+P = Print

Ctrl+A = Select all(useful at my job)

Ctrl+Z = Undo(works practically anywhere, not just in a word document)

Ctrl+Y = Redo(Also works everywhere)

Ctrl+C = Copy(mandatory for office work)

Ctrl+V = Paste(mandatory for office work)

Ctrl+X = Cut

Shift+Tab = Reverse tab

Alt+Tab = Cycles through windows(Can be combined with reverse tab)

Ctrl+S = Save

Ctrl+Shift+Delete = Task Manager

Alt+F4 = Close window(Good for a quick closing of windows if held, also brings up shut down windows prompt)

Ctrl+N = Opens another of the current program you are running(most of the time)

Alt+Random Numpad Sequences = Special things like this ☻☺≡Ň≈(Num lock must be on)
spongetatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-January-2014, 12:59 PM   #55
Salmoneus
solvitur ambulando

windows_xp_2003firefox

Ctrl+F let's you find things.

Facebook

" title="YouTube" target="_blank">YouTube
Salmoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-May-2014, 09:41 AM   #56
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari

http://urlquery.net/

Quote:
urlQuery.net is a service for detecting and analyzing web-based malware. It provides detailed information about the activities a browser does while visiting a site and presents the information for further analysis.

http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

Quote:
Better DS3
Offline MotioninJoy [gamepad] driver configuration tool.
^ Better than MotionJoy, and works for Xbox also.

Old 28th-July-2014, 06:34 PM   #57
Coolydudey
You could say that.

KeyLemon - facial recognition sign-in. Even the free version works great for me. Windows and Mac.
Old 18th-September-2014, 08:31 AM   #58
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Wolfram Alpha, the site which used to offer free step by step math help, has a program called Mathematica that will perform the same kind of help.

You can register with WolframAlpha under your college and see if Mathematica is offered for free.

Old 13th-September-2015, 09:17 PM   #59
Fukyo
blurb blurb

On 7th September Microsoft downloaded up to 6 GB of files for a Windows 10 upgrade on all Windows 7 and 8 machines regardless of whether you reserved a copy of Windows 10 or not. The hidden download is tied to an "important" ambiguously described update purportedly fixing OS issues. If you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and want to retrieve your file space I used this tutorial

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...my-hard-drive/

After uninstalling the update you will have to hide it because it will otherwise just download and install again.
Old 5th-January-2017, 12:41 AM   #60
stoopid
Banned

linuxfirefox

If you're a "Mind Mapper" and love flowing things together, check out blumind. It's only available for windows, i believe. I have separate HDD with windows on it just to use the damn application. It has functionality in anything you need to document. Trust me and go get blumind.... NOW! If you don't your life will be severely impacted and you will suffer the pain of not having even better documentation tools. (And it's free, with no upgraded packages or spam to get more features for money) Absolutely elite.

Blumind - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Pulled from cnet.download

Editors' Review

-
by: Download.com staff on January 29, 2012
Blumind--it's like "Blue-Mind," not "Bloomin'"--is freeware that creates mind maps, those diagrams dominated by a central idea or goal, with elements, subconcepts, and other related things radiating outward. They can plot everything from sewage systems to philosophies, as simple as your breakfast diet or as complex as quantum physics. Any concept that can be centralized and studied in parts can be mapped with Blumind's easy-to-use graphical tools and handy themes.
Blumind works like a graphics tool but looks like a browser, with tabs, a Menu button, and sidebars. But the tabs open New Documents, not Web pages, and the toolbar and sidebars have program-specific options, such as our new document's Center Topic object and its configuration options in the Property sidebar, which changes the color of objects, fonts, and backgrounds. Blumind offers many preconfigured color schemes under the Themes menu. We could customize these themes or create our own. We started our New Document by creating a name, shape, color, and other attributes for our Center Topic. Right-clicking it let us add level after level of Subtopics, which linked themselves automatically to the Center Topic. A handy list kept track of our many submenus in a sidebar. In no time we'd added and labeled numerous Subtopic as well as Icons, Progress Bars, and Notes. No matter how far-flung our map became, we could collapse and expand all or parts of it from the Folding menu. We could save and export our map in eight different formats: JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG, TIFF, SVG, FreeMind, and Text.
With the ability to customize Icons and other objects, Blumind can create highly personalized or specialized mind maps for business, education, projects, and many other uses. Its right-click menus let us add and configure ideas and concepts as they appeared instead of having to save them elsewhere and draw them up when we had time to sit down and do it (which is when, exactly?). Blumind made it easy to create, save, and export detailed yet legible mind maps.

Publisher's Description

From Blumind: Blumind is a lightweight and powerful mind mapping tool. It has simple and easy user interface, multiple document editing, supporting for multiple languages. It supports some chart layouts, such as: organization chart, tree diagram, logic diagram, multiple export formats, including all common image formats, and svg, text, and color themes, the program built in a lot of themes, and can be customized by user or installed outside themes.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-August-2017, 09:11 AM   #61
Limey
Redshirt

unknownunknown

Don't use your ISP's DNS servers. Use Google's at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Their performance is high, you might achieve lookups faster than your own ISP and they will have better uptime, especially if your ISP is Time Warner/Spectrum