INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Notices

Old 1st-May-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Enneagram: A matrix of mode and fixation

I remember writing this up a couple years ago, not to pad myself but I thought it was pretty interesting and I wanted to know what others thought of it. Since we had a recent enneagram thread I thought I could get some feedback.

Code:
|Mode:               |         Fixation:
|                    | Anger---------Worry---------Ego
|    Rationalization:| 1-------------5-------------3
|         Repression:| 9-------------7-------------2
|         Expression:| 8-------------6-------------4

Types 2, 3 and 4 are the Ego fixation types.

Spoiler:
2 represses its own ego for that of others which gives 2 its self-sacrificing themes. A healthy 2 helps/supports other people who truly need it, an unhealthy 2 imposes its "kindness" to take advantage of people and to feel good about him/herself.

3 rationalizes its ego making the 3 strive for practical achievements and respectable prestige in life. A healthy 3 motivates others with its own drive for success and encourages productive competition. An unhealthy 3 is adversely contrary and antagonistic to its social peers while being a slave to that same society's sense of worth/value.

4 expresses its own ego which puts originality and pride at the forefront of its ideals. A healthy 4 channels its originality into creative works of art or endeavors and promotes innovation and individuality. An unhealthy 4 loses itself in itself, through fantasy and conceit, and boosts itself up while/by putting others down.

Types 5, 6 and 7 are the Worry fixated types.

Spoiler:

5 rationalizes worry giving it its explanatory nature. A healthy 5 investigates issues, promotes rationality among peers, and lends out its expertise. An unhealthy 5 intellectualizes emotional, social and psychological conflicts, and relies on self-formed biases about the world rather than actual experience, and avoids accountability through invocation of outside authority.

6 expresses worry making 6 foremost the openly concerned type. A healthy 6 promotes consensus problem solving, balances skepticism and practicality, and is reasonably protective. An unhealthy 6 mixes obsession, possessiveness, and defensiveness, is irrationally distrustful, and overly conformist to authority figures/friends/partners(or rebellious if no social support).

7 represses worry making it the embodiment of optimism. A healthy 7 exudes positivity and enthusiasm and instills it in others, turns focus to meaningful experiences in life, and lives for the moment rather than the bygone past & speculative future. An unhealthy 7 indulges in substances and other escapist activities, is reckless and self-destructive, and rejects responsibility/acceptance of its life situation.

Types 8, 9 and 1 are the Anger fixated types.

Spoiler:

8 expresses anger which gives it an atmosphere of intensity. A healthy 8 seeks and embodies honesty / candidness, brings attention to important issues as they arise, and instills a sense of courage through its own assurance and willfulness. An unhealthy 8 terrorizes others in its territory with force/intimidation, controls through material power and expels its rage upon the world verbally/physically.

9 represses anger which is the source of its nonchalant themes. A healthy 9 promotes unity and equal recognition, upholds a sense of modesty and restraint, and extinguishes aroused situations & disarms hostility. An unhealthy 9 acts with passive aggression, denies itself and others of authenticity, and avoids taking sides out of fear of disruption or personal disharmony.

1 Rationalizes anger making it the righteous indignation type. A healthy 1 strives for justice and restitution, promotes adherence to values and laws, and cultivates a sense of character. An unhealthy 1 is intolerant and dogmatic, becomes obsessed with revenge, sanctifies itself & damns others.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd-May-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
Sinny91
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Enneagram: A matrix of mode and fixation

Is consistent with everything I know about Enneagram.

Whats yours?
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-May-2016, 03:53 AM   #3
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
Is consistent with everything I know about Eneagram.
Really? I wouldn't mind, I would prefer actually, if someone ripped it to shreds (with alternative ideas, that is, flat criticism is too easy). I don't have much investment in it, but I appreciate outside perspectives in the quest for accuracy.

Quote:
Whats yours?
My personality spills over into 5, 6 and 9 but only 5 has enough in the cup to get my day going. Also I would change Anger to the general meaning of Passion.

Old 24th-May-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
Sinny91
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
Really?
Mostly. Compare your 'Modes' with the Harmonics:
http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/harmonics.html

Quote:
My personality spills over into 5, 6 and 9 but only 5 has enough in the cup to get my day going. Also I would change Anger to the general meaning of Passion.
Mmm, yea, I would agree.. But there is an inherent violent streak in my anger which might step beyond passion.... Like I don't think it does, but Naranjo would so say.

If I had to settle on a tri-type it would be 864, a supposed mystical number which can be found in abundance in nature & architecture.
Old 24th-May-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
EyeSeeCold
lust for life

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Mostly. Compare your 'Modes' with the Harmonics:
http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/harmonics.html
Ooh yeah that's interesting. It's been a long time I think I might've just seen something similar and went off that, it's too coincidental.

Quote:
If I had to settle on a tri-type it would be 864, a supposed mystical number which can be found in abundance in nature & architecture.
I'm not sure if I still agree with tritypes, when I was really into enneagram I began to see multiple aspects like in the link you provided that argued against head-heart-gut being the primary structure. 864 doesn't seem far off though.

Quote:
Mmm, yea, I would agree.. But there is an inherent violent streak in my anger which might step beyond passion.... Like I don't think it does, but Naranjo would so say.
Send me your fees. If I ever need a hitwoman you'll be the first person I call.

Old 24th-May-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Sinny91
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
Ooh yeah that's interesting. It's been a long time I think I might've just seen something similar and went off that, it's too coincidental.
Happens to me all the time too..

Quote:
I'm not sure if I still agree with tritypes, when I was really into enneagram I began to see multiple aspects like in the link you provided that argued against head-heart-gut being the primary structure. 864 doesn't seem far off though.

Yea, I wasn't wholly sold on the mainstream interpretation of Tri-Type myself. I think some aspects are valid.. I think Enneagram can be interpreted and utilised in a number of ways, some of which we aren't even aware of.

Here's something I was reading earlier:

Quote:
Tell Me Who I Am, O Enneagram

by Mitchell Pacwa, S.J.

from the Christian Research Journal
http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/.../crj0146a.html

I tend to lean more towards Gnosticism than Christianity myself, but a decent over view all the same.

Quote:
Send me your fees. If I ever need a hitwoman you'll be the first person I call.
Haha, I wish... You weren't doing so bad yourself.
Old 8th-December-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Enneagram Fears

Quote:
What Each Enneagram Type Is Secretly Afraid You’ll Find Out About Them- Heidi Priebe 

The Enneagram of Personality separates people into nine distinct categories – each of which is governed by a unique set of core fears and motivations. In line with these fears and motivations comes a specific set of hidden truths that each type is harbouring. Here is what each Enneagram type is secretly scared you’ll discover about them – and why that fear would be so damaging.

Type 1: That they are fundamentally immoral and have vices.

Type 1s are known for being social justice advocates and fearless fighters for a more moral society. But the reason these types are so preoccupied with the way the world ought to be is because they are constantly moving away from the fear that they themselves are corrupt and immoral. At their core, this type is terrified that others will discover them to be immoral, flawed and riddled with vices – just like everyone else who surrounds them.

Type 2: That they are not worthy of being loved.

Type 2s are known for devoting themselves unabashedly to the service of others. But what this type doesn’t want you to know is that they do this because they’re afraid, at their core, that it’s the only way they can get others to love them. This type feels inherently unworthy of love and believes that if they stop helping and supporting those around them, nobody would have a good reason to love them back.

Type 3: That aside from their accomplishments, they are not all that impressive.

Type 3s are known for their goal-oriented nature. They are constantly striving to achieve and impress – but the reason they are doing this is because they fear that apart from their accomplishments, they are worthless. Take away their accomplishments and there is nothing to the type 3 as a person – or so they are terrified you’ll discover.

Type 4: That they have to emphasize their differences because who they actually are is not good enough.

Type 4s are known for being complex, intense and unique. But the reason they’ve cultivated such a complex identity is because at their core, they feel as though who they are just doesn’t measure up to other people. This type must be fascinatingly different in order to feel as though they’re worthy of love – because as far as they’re concerned, their true self just isn’t good enough.

Type 5: That they don’t intuitively understand anything how the world around them works.

Type 5s are constantly researching, analyzing and learning about the world around them. And the reason they’re doing this is because they’re afraid, at their core, that they are not capable of intuitively understanding it. This type believes that they’d be genuinely lost without their knowledge base – and so they must build on it at all costs, in order to avoid incompetence.

Type 6: That they feel incapable of providing for themselves.

Type 6s are constantly seeking out mentors and are ceaselessly loyal toward loved ones. But the reason they are so devoted to their relationships is because the 6 type believes, at their core, that they are incapable of providing for themselves. This type relies on their external relationships with others to keep them feeling safe and secure. They secretly believe that if they were left completely alone, they wouldn’t be able to take care of themselves.

Type 7: That they’re constantly searching for external stimulation because they feel empty inside.

The 7 type is known for being wild and adventurous. But the reason they seek so much external stimulation is because this type feels, at their core, that what they are searching for in life can only be found outside of themselves. This type is terrified of being left alone – without new people or new adventures to take part in – because they believe that who they are on their own is not enough to make them happy or to make their lives meaningful and rich.

Type 8: That they’re afraid of the impact other people are capable of having on them.

The 8 type is known for being controlling of the people around them. But the reason this type keeps such a tight leash on their external environments is because they are afraid that if they don’t do so, others are going to take advantage of them. Type 8s are inherently distrustful of others and they harbor a very real belief that if they leave themselves at the mercy of others in absolutely any way, others will harm them irreversibly.

Type 9: That they don’t know who they are apart from others.

The 9 type is known for being highly in tune with the people around them, as well as the spiritual side of life. But the real reason type 9s are so in touch with others is because they fear that other people make up an integral part of themselves – a part that they are terrified to lose. Without the people, belief systems or communities they’re connected to, the 9 type fears that they’d be nothing but an empty vessel. And so they need to keep those relationships nurtured and strong. 

Old 8th-December-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
PmjPmj
Full of stars.

macossafari

Your description of 5 was spot on for myself, for what little that is worth.
PmjPmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-December-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

I was just reading some Reckful posts, and this one here got me thinking about Enneagram and it's scientific validation, or lack thereof.

Spoiler:
I can't actually quote it, due - no doubt, to some nefariously subversive INTJ plot -

I'm under the impression that Enneagram typology relates directly to the psyche; the embodiment and fragmentation of the psyche, which is the bridge between material and the spiritual. I don't think it's a subject that can be wholly understood or explained by empirical data alone, and indeed, it's mysteries thus far elude explanation by the natural sciences.

Although I can think of a few lines of scientific inquiry which might build more of a scientific picture of the Enneagram, I'll add them when I get round to it.
Old 13th-December-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Type 1, The Reformer: 22
Type 2, The Helper: 14
Type 3, The Achiever: 15
Type 4, The Individualist: 23
Type 5, The Investigator: 20
Type 6, The Loyalist: 10
Type 7, The Enthusiast: 11
Type 8, The Challenger: 12
Type 9, The Peacemaker: 17
Old 13th-December-2016, 11:27 AM   #11
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I don't know much about this and I'm not entirely certain what you're talking about - but 5 is quite accurate for me.
Old 13th-December-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
PmjPmj
Full of stars.

macossafari

INTP 5s are quite common. 5 goes hand in hand with dominant Ti.
Old 13th-December-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
zerkalo

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Type 4: That they have to emphasize their differences because who they actually are is not good enough.

Type 4s are known for being complex, intense and unique. But the reason they’ve cultivated such a complex identity is because at their core, they feel as though who they are just doesn’t measure up to other people. This type must be fascinatingly different in order to feel as though they’re worthy of love – because as far as they’re concerned, their true self just isn’t good enough.
not even remotely true
Old 13th-December-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
Bad Itch
Push to Start

windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkalo View Post
not even remotely true
You haven't seen my shoes.
Bad Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-December-2016, 01:05 PM   #15
PmjPmj
Full of stars.

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkalo View Post
not even remotely true
Denial.

Such a 4.

Old 13th-December-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Type 2: That they are not worthy of being loved.

Type 2s are known for devoting themselves unabashedly to the service of others. But what this type doesn’t want you to know is that they do this because they’re afraid, at their core, that it’s the only way they can get others to love them. This type feels inherently unworthy of love and believes that if they stop helping and supporting those around them, nobody would have a good reason to love them back.
Your gonna make me cry. (sad emoticon)

luminous awareness

Spoiler:
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-December-2016, 07:27 PM   #17
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.

windows_xp_2003safari

Apparently, I'm most likely 5w6, but scored relatively high on 9 and 5w4. I have no idea what this means.