INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > The Lounge > The Lounge Archive

Notices

Old 11th-January-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Katy
"Bad Kitty"

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Considered unemployable....?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around this...

Basically, due to physical issues, I've been assessed to work at no more than 4 hours a week and according to Oz law, that makes me unemployable.

Now, I've called a few places and walked into others, putting my name down for work or options to work (courses specifically...the biggest problem with study is that I can't do them on a specific time frame or I don't have enough funds upfront to pay for the courses I can do in my own time) and yet on the employment front, it all comes back to, " I'm sorry but due to your assessment, we can't hire you 'cause you're considered a liability'. *head desk*

Now, how does one process that without the fall into, 'gawd I feel useless' thing?
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Nick
Frozen Fighter

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Considered unemployable....?

Get a hobby? Find work off the books/illegal. Relish in the early retirement?
Old 11th-January-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Solitaire U.
Last of the V-8 Interceptors

windows_vistafirefox

What are the physical issues?
Solitaire U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Katy
"Bad Kitty"

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Have a few hobbies...drawing mostly and the edible garden out back... use to do a few others but I've lost a lot of dexterity in my fingers *shrugs* kinda narrows down options... I guess I'm more use to working, earning my own money n I feel... useless is such a harsh word... 'cause I'm unable to provide financially to the household, if that makes sense.

Have tried a few places off the books but so far they want much longer hours and I like what use I have of my tendons. I'd be all for it otherwise
Old 11th-January-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Katy
"Bad Kitty"

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire U. View Post
What are the physical issues?
chronic tendinosis in both arms, both knees are shot with hyperflexion in ankles, arms, shoulder, knees and hips n a herniated disc with sympathetic nerve pain thro the radial nerves.

Had surgery on knees and on one wrist but yeh... not the most beneficial outcome. Basically the Drs have said that each time I 'overstretch' the tendons in my arms, I lose 10% ability in them so I'm kinda down to around 60% after my last fall...t'was interesting
Old 11th-January-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Solitaire U.
Last of the V-8 Interceptors

windows_vistafirefox

How about answering telephones? Tech service, switchboard operator, etc. Seems like those types of jobs would be within your physical means.
Solitaire U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

macossafari

Show us some of your drawings, if you can draw reasonably well I be able to find some work for you, better yet can you sculpt?
Old 11th-January-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Affinity

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Claim disability.
Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Nick
Frozen Fighter

windows_98_nt_2000safari

If you do not need the money and want to get out/ feel accomplished/ have an overall feeling of good, volunteer! For something, anything, give back... help the world become a better place, or just pirate massive amounts of movies/music/games, have a smoke and enjoy life where you are and just that you are.
Old 11th-January-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
TheScornedReflex
(Per) Version of a truth.

windows_xp_2003ie

Or sell pot. It is a easy game... Not that I would know. Make sure you find and befriend someone with contacts to start off. That way you will have a variety of product to choose from. Meaning you can tailor to your clients tastes. Generally extremely skunky stuff. And to those first trying out sell them ditchweed. You can end up turning a profit of $2600 a week if you're determined. Or enough to pay the bills and other trinkets... Not that I'm endorsing or encouraging being a dealer. Was just giving you an option
Old 11th-January-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Katy
"Bad Kitty"

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire U. View Post
How about answering telephones? Tech service, switchboard operator, etc. Seems like those types of jobs would be within your physical means.
The places I've asked, require a multi-tasker...which I can do but they won't hire me on a split-shift type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
Show us some of your drawings, if you can draw reasonably well I be able to find some work for you, better yet can you sculpt?
Done...hopefully. If the album still won't let you in, let me know n I'll figure somethin' out

Can't sculpt anymore :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Claim disability.
Done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If you do not need the money and want to get out/ feel accomplished/ have an overall feeling of good, volunteer! For something, anything, give back... help the world become a better place, or just pirate massive amounts of movies/music/games, have a smoke and enjoy life where you are and just that you are.
Unfortunately, I need the money to live. Disability isn't enough with a full household and I'm kinda tired of being budget lady extraordinaire Have looked into doing some volunteer work for the aged homes... sometimes that can be a back door into employment but I've gotta wait a couple of weeks 'fore I hear back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScornedReflex View Post
Or sell pot. It is a easy game... Not that I would know. Make sure you find and befriend someone with contacts to start off. That way you will have a variety of product to choose from. Meaning you can tailor to your clients tastes. Generally extremely skunky stuff. And to those first trying out sell them ditchweed. You can end up turning a profit of $2600 a week if you're determined. Or enough to pay the bills and other trinkets... Not that I'm endorsing or encouraging being a dealer. Was just giving you an option

gawd... if it were so damn illegal here, would probably give it a shot :P
Old 12th-January-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
Da Blob
Banned

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around this...

Basically, due to physical issues, I've been assessed to work at no more than 4 hours a week and according to Oz law, that makes me unemployable.

Now, I've called a few places and walked into others, putting my name down for work or options to work (courses specifically...the biggest problem with study is that I can't do them on a specific time frame or I don't have enough funds upfront to pay for the courses I can do in my own time) and yet on the employment front, it all comes back to, " I'm sorry but due to your assessment, we can't hire you 'cause you're considered a liability'. *head desk*

Now, how does one process that without the fall into, 'gawd I feel useless' thing?
I am pretty much in the same category, pretty much thrown into the recycle bin before I had a chance to cycle the first time.

1st option - seek out any public or private source of funding for disabled persons
2nd option - DYI, become self-employed at least part time
3rd option - engage in a criminal activity
Da Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-January-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
Katy
"Bad Kitty"

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Blob View Post
I am pretty much in the same category, pretty much thrown into the recycle bin before I had a chance to cycle the first time.

1st option - seek out any public or private source of funding for disabled persons
2nd option - DYI, become self-employed at least part time
3rd option - engage in a criminal activity

I've been getting a few shoves to sell off prints of some of my sketches... and have been looking into markets n such. Still waiting to hear back about grants n such for this sort of thing but I think that only applies with a mainstream business, not some artistic endeavour which fuels the soul