INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > INTP

Notices

Old 28th-July-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
majohnso

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default review - The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning

hi all,

i recently read the above book, and found it quite illuminating for me.

as i am new to my intp label, wondered what others thought of this book?

thanks
Mark
majohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
smallbear
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: review - The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning

I haven't read it but discovered it shortly before this forum (ie: today).

Does it include any practical/pragmatic advice for being an effective INTP?

I'm wary of this sort of book (usually North American) thyat just pratlles on for 300 pages and then at the end states: 'you should talk to a therapist...'

Feel free to share your experience/s of the boo, I'm just after something useful rather than purely informative at the moment and reading is a major chore for me.
smallbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Happy
ENTP

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: review - The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning

I've got it and I've read it. I'd rate it pretty highly. The guy has certainly done his research.

Sorry, but it's been about 3 years since I read it and I don't remember enough to formulate much of a review.

If anyone is tossing up whether or not to buy and read, I suggest reading a bunch of the articles on his website (http://personalityjunkie.com/). It's more or less the same sort of thing, in longer format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManBeyond View Post
u never know if u fuck a lot
without shield
like a true warrior
Happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Turnevies

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I read it almost a year ago and found it very interesting back then. Very detailed.

The problem I have is, if even Jungian functions and the existence of the mbti-types themselves are not widely accepted in mainstream psychology (though I believe they can be useful instruments if used with caution), where the hell does the author get any empirical data to support the descriptions and prescriptions he provides that seem to get to such a level of detail?

It seems merely the author is using his own intuition to extract as much as he can phantasise from a minimal amount of personal experience. This can be an interesting and useful POV to read, but it is not the absolute truth of anyone reading it in search for him/herself.

I'd rather treat it as a work of philosophy than as a work of hard science.
Turnevies is offline   Reply With Quote