INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 14th-July-2017, 06:34 AM   #1
Procinogen
Socially Crippled
 
Procinogen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way
Posts: 62
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Question How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Well title says it all, but I guess I'll elaborate. I want to know how to type people without awkwardly saying, "Hey, wanna take a personality quiz?". I'm not too good at this, so tips or whatever would help.
__________________
Code:
while(x == x){
   console.log(THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY

 IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER

 BUT EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS);
}
Procinogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-July-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,516
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Okay the key to not awkwardly asking people to take a personality test is to ask people to take a personality test.

Key point in the second example the word awkward was left out. Try leaving out the awkward and you'll do fine.
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-July-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
viche
Member
 
viche's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 238
unknownsafari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

I've learned how to do this by studying each type in detail and observing type specific details that I could then match to people, sometimes from distance, sometimes after several conversations. Warning: this will take you 2-3 years to get a handle on and some people seem to never make it, as typology is not in the area of everyone's talent. All this time investment is quite dubious and it is easier to just send people tests.

To study each type in detail, Personality Cafe type subforums are a great place to start. Spend 2-3 weeks reading each subforum and identifying common topics, problems, and just getting a gist of each type. Eventually you'll meet people who will remind you of those posts and have a similar vibe, which makes it easy to type them without any quizes.

You might also want to look into socionics because they
1) have more detailed descriptions of types, including a variety of small groupings
2) have something called visual identification or distance typing, that allows you to narrow down types simply by watching and analyzing at a distance.
viche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-July-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
washti
Member
 
washti's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 344
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

I wonder how people get that convictions that they can type others (and themselfs) accuratly at all.
I keep doing tests as one of internet habits. Is there some MBTI/socionics/other test that check your personality in action? When you doing different tasks in different environments? Then monitoring how brain works and comparing this between people? Do we have only tests and conversation with psychologist?
I'dont believe in type anymore.
Especially ridiculus things are forum threads "type me". From posts, video, or photo - strangers to strangers. LOL
Even choosing type to myself is very awkward thing. So many tests and description out there (in internet). I saw plenty different types fitting very well to my behaviour, habits, thinking style, expressions, that I stoped treating this as having any real value. Only one thing still standing wihout change is "N" letter. And perhaps Introvert - but 3 or 4 times I get ENTP, so..N - Intuitive. How much this can tell you about the person?
washti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-July-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Serac
Member
 
Serac's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 586
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by washti View Post
I wonder how people get that convictions that they can type others (and themselfs) accuratly at all.
Whenever I hear someone say things like "I do this and that because I'm type x", that seems to me a result stemming from some deep, desperate urge to be certain about one's own personality, rather than the actual validity of these claims. They want to replace uncertainty with belief in baseless propositions, so that at least there is something to grasp onto in life.

I wonder how many of these supposed idiosyncrasies people claim to have are actually just quotes from MBTI profiles that they fit onto themselves like garments.

MBTI is a double-edged sword in that sense. It can be used to observe oneself, but if you read too much into it, it can be a way of pigeonholing oneself and limiting oneself to certain aspirations and behaviors.
Serac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-July-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,929
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

i understand people through understanding myself analytically (which means understanding my inner dualities, so i can also understand people who are my opposite - they are still a part of me). being mature (40 years old) helps. you can only understand people who are of less or equal maturity.

i recognize people poorly, but visual identification is possible.

when i try to recognize types through analysis (including my own), my biggest difficulty is telling whats up (conscious) and whats down (unconcious, tertiary, inferior). i just see it all side by side. therefore visual identification is a necessary cue. alternatively i would have to observe people long term, know much about their life. this isn't an option.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-July-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Pyropyro
Magos Biologis
 
Pyropyro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,740
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

If you just want to talk them to take an online quiz:

I just talk about MBTI to them in general and if they seem to be interested then I ask them to take a test online. If they don't seem to be interested then I simply avoid bringing up the subject and find another thing to discuss.

If you want to identify their type:

I really think that isn't a good idea since it runs the risk of stereotyping the person into the one of the sixteen types. I really prefer to get to know them and simply have the type as an amusing trivia or a helpful guide that I can bring up from time to time. If you still really want to accurately get their type then you just have to spend months of time with them. Not exactly efficient unless you like said person to begin with.
__________________
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Pyropyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
QuickTwist
tsuj a notelpmis
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hopefully you only know this if I let you know
Posts: 5,913
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

What I do is try to clue myself into their first two functions. That, and I think about what type I could see them as a lot.

For a long time, I couldn't figure out if my Father was ESFJ or ISFJ. I was looking at what function he had more of between Fe and Si. Then it just clicked when the obvious came to me and I realized there was no way he was an introvert.
__________________
Mix
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
Hadoblado
The choicest fuckboi
 
Hadoblado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,724
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

I think the best approach is to figure out what people are not, without committing any which way. I know I'm not a feeler of any description. I know my thoughts tend towards useless shit and I have difficulty with goal orientation (Te < Ti). I know my thoughts aren't strongly convergent or fast (Ni ain't high). I know I have little engagement in the moment, preferring to think about basically anything but the immediate (Se ain't high). So XNTP maybe, because everything else makes less sense. Do the same for everyone you meet and realise that it's a lot harder to do this on the fly than people would have you believe.

I don't think you should ground your understanding in other people's conclusions. There's simply too much disagreement among community authoritative figures. People mistype themselves constantly, and there's little reason to think that the people that arrive at a stable identity are any more in the know than people that don't. I think of it more as a roulette table, where the place the ball ends up is more determined by where the rotation loses energy than any identification with the destination. Personally I have mistyped myself at least four times, and at best have only typed myself correctly once. I'm a smart guy who's been exposed to MBTI for six years, with no reason to think I would be below average in this regard. If I can't type myself with any accuracy, why should I believe any single stranger on the internet who yells the loudest can type other people at a glance through text?
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 04:17 AM   #10
Haim
Member
 
Haim's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Israel
Posts: 647
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Don't.
Haim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
Grayman
Team Ignorant
 
Grayman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US of A
Posts: 4,107
linuxsafari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Get signatures for a petition that requires people to take the test in order to vote, get government aid, or when being incarcerated. It would be similar to getting demographics on race and ethnicity except it will be MBTI.
__________________
My body is just a battery for robots.
Grayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,631
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Uh, keep in mind that taking a quiz is a rather awful way of determining personality type.

It takes a lot of time and may never pay out, but basically the answer is to get a better grasp of typology, such as what each dichotomy means, what each cognitive function means, and what these would look like. So, Feeling vs Thinking, you could ask - do they express emotion strongly and easily? There may then be trickier cases like: they seem to express emotion strongly and easily but rarely do it - could they be a Feeler still? Well, yeah, but probably one who overlies on Thinking such as an INFJ with strong use of Ti.

What I find can be done more easily and doesn't really require any system is typing by similarities. This person is very similar to this other person, so they're probably the same type. These two people are remarkably different, so they're probably different types.

What you'll find out is that you probably only really associate with people from a few types which get on better with your own. So given that you're an N, you'll possibly have a hard time finding an S type. You might make the mistake then of associating a lot of Ns with S, because you reason that they're surely below average in N, but you're then forgetting that your sample is biased.

Remember that not even MBTI professionals actually know how to type people, so don't feel bad if you're unable to do it.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
QuickTwist
tsuj a notelpmis
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hopefully you only know this if I let you know
Posts: 5,913
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

OK, so a methodology you could use in combination with Artsu's method and my own, is first determine whether they are an introvert or extrovert (this one is usually pretty easy). Then after you got that down, consider whether they are a feeler or thinker (I believe this is also pretty easy to spot). Third, determine if they are a J or P. This one can be pretty damn difficult at times. The reason you want to find this one out third and not last is because it will give you a better framework for later. So once you have your 3 dichotomies chosen for them, then you will look at the cognitive functions that they could have. Having an understanding of typology is necessary for this step. Then you would want to take some time to just think about out of the types they could be, what types are most likely based on what combination of the first two functions they could have. I think trying to decide how people use information is extremely difficult so that is why you should go with things that operate on behavioral type things that you can observe instead of how they deal with information.
__________________
Mix
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
QuickTwist
tsuj a notelpmis
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hopefully you only know this if I let you know
Posts: 5,913
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Uh, keep in mind that taking a quiz is a rather awful way of determining personality type.

It takes a lot of time and may never pay out, but basically the answer is to get a better grasp of typology, such as what each dichotomy means, what each cognitive function means, and what these would look like. So, Feeling vs Thinking, you could ask - do they express emotion strongly and easily? There may then be trickier cases like: they seem to express emotion strongly and easily but rarely do it - could they be a Feeler still? Well, yeah, but probably one who overlies on Thinking such as an INFJ with strong use of Ti.

What I find can be done more easily and doesn't really require any system is typing by similarities. This person is very similar to this other person, so they're probably the same type. These two people are remarkably different, so they're probably different types.

What you'll find out is that you probably only really associate with people from a few types which get on better with your own. So given that you're an N, you'll possibly have a hard time finding an S type. You might make the mistake then of associating a lot of Ns with S, because you reason that they're surely below average in N, but you're then forgetting that your sample is biased.

Remember that not even MBTI professionals actually know how to type people, so don't feel bad if you're unable to do it.
This makes me consider that I could be INFJ.. No idea why
__________________
Mix
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,631
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
This makes me consider that I could be INFJ.. No idea why
I've certainly considered it for you.

Check out our first posts in this thread: https://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=26322

We seem to have similar themes guiding the development of our thoughts.

edit: I love how in the thread I posted, we were both typing up responses at the same time, and when I just now checked the recent posts, I see that we've both posted at the same time xD
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
QuickTwist
tsuj a notelpmis
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hopefully you only know this if I let you know
Posts: 5,913
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
I've certainly considered it for you.

Check out our first posts in this thread: https://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=26322

We seem to have similar themes guiding the development of our thoughts.

edit: I love how in the thread I posted, we were both typing up responses at the same time, and when I just now checked the recent posts, I see that we've both posted at the same time xD
I noticed the parallels in both of our posts in the thread you linked the first time around. I prolly should have mentioned that hindsight.

Virtually the same time XD
__________________
Mix
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-July-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
Manipulator
analyse, manipulate
 
Manipulator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: my head is my home
Posts: 531
unknownfirefox
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viche View Post
I've learned how to do this by studying each type in detail and observing type specific details that I could then match to people, sometimes from distance, sometimes after several conversations. Warning: this will take you 2-3 years to get a handle on and some people seem to never make it, as typology is not in the area of everyone's talent. All this time investment is quite dubious and it is easier to just send people tests.

To study each type in detail, Personality Cafe type subforums are a great place to start. Spend 2-3 weeks reading each subforum and identifying common topics, problems, and just getting a gist of each type. Eventually you'll meet people who will remind you of those posts and have a similar vibe, which makes it easy to type them without any quizes.

You might also want to look into socionics because they
1) have more detailed descriptions of types, including a variety of small groupings
2) have something called visual identification or distance typing, that allows you to narrow down types simply by watching and analyzing at a distance.
True. Spend a few years reading about personslity types, meet people, type them and tetype them and you will be better and better. After 5 years I can type some people only by looking at their faces or by quick conversation. Ofc some people are difficult to type, especially thinking introverts, and I am not able to type some people I know for a long type (I know my collegue for 5 years, he was first who told me about mbti and I still dont know whether he is infp or infj)
Manipulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-July-2017, 05:37 AM   #18
Procinogen
Socially Crippled
 
Procinogen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way
Posts: 62
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Just going to post this as a little not saying that I'm not going to take what I type them seriously. I just often find myself bored think about categorizing people. Said categories I will also not take seriously. Just a little game sorta thing.
__________________
Code:
while(x == x){
   console.log(THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY

 IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER

 BUT EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS);
}
Procinogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-July-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
TheManBeyond
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Objects in the mirror might look closer than they are
Posts: 2,854
linuxsafari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

J and P is the first step, at least its easier to identify by eye. P is relaxed, we usually wear handy stuff, sporty things. J people are always in fucking t-shirts on 40 degrees environments.
U can more or less see I or E just based on how agitated people is, e people moves constantly. I people stay.
Then S / N and F / T is harder perhaps. U need to talk with them. Not once but many times. N is more oblivious, metaphoric, aspirational. S is a more grounded speech, short, realistic.
Compare Kate to John Locke from Lost. ISTP and INTP.
TheManBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-July-2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Polaris
Radioactive vision
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,870
macossafari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Read up on the cognitive functions, using more serious typology sites. Observe over an extended period. Estimate cognitive dominant function, and take it from there.

I have done this often, and have found, after several months, that my initial estimations were wrong. The better I got to know the person, the harder it became.

Lessons learnt:

Do not type using misconceived simplified dichotomies of J/P, E/I, T/F, N/S (forget about MBTI)

Do not think you understand typology, when you think you understand typology

Do not think you understand the person, when you think you understand the person

Do not think people are easily 'typable', just because they display obvious behaviours, consistent with x, y, z cog function - their behaviour may be a product of something more complex

All 'types' exhibit all functions at various points in time and space

Cog functions are just emergent phenomena, they are not a "thing"

Can you tupe yourself? No? You probably won't be able to type others accurately either.

Understanding others first requires understanding of oneself

When you think you understand yourself, you probably do not understand yourself

Conclusion: you will never be able to type accurately
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-July-2017, 06:08 AM   #21
Cogitant
Fiducial Observer
 
Cogitant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Invading your reality
Posts: 157
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
When you think you understand yourself, you probably do not understand yourself

Conclusion: you will never be able to type accurately
Nope, not at all.
Pretty certain of my type (INTP), and the types of my family and friends now.

I'm also pretty certain of who I am and what factors contributed to my being me (I can go back several generations there).
Objectiveness is my #1 talent, which is useful for analysis.
+Also, I despise mysteries, and seek to solve them asap

Supposing cognitive functions exist, it should be relatively straightforward for someone to identify them in themself, or in a person with whom they are familiar, and discern from the ratio of their use the likely neo-Jungian type for themself or for the person in question (however I'd hesitate to type strangers).

Having said that, I think that many people view themselves and others through a distorted lens, and a distorted lens will not provide a true and full picture.

+If a true and full picture is not accessible, a person might be prone to alter their viewpoint from through one mood-coloured lens to through another mood-coloured lens.
When this occurs, perception of identity or sense of self will shift.

An example:
A person might decide they are ESTP instead of their previous consideration of ESFP (which they tested as), because their perspective changed.
In reality, they were an ENFP the whole time, but failed to see the bigger picture^^

Anyway, no system is perfect.
Not everyone fits into a theoretical box as well as another

Cogitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-July-2017, 07:39 AM   #22
Polaris
Radioactive vision
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,870
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus
Nope, not at all.
Pretty certain of my type (INTP), and the types of my family and friends now.


That is great. You are probably an exception, if that is the case. Most people seem pretty bad at self-assessment and therefore also assessment of others. I may be projecting again, although seeing the level of disagreement over typing across sites and forums tells me this is probably not always the case...

It would be interesting if we could look into the future and see if any of our predictions remained true. I agree with the rest of your post, although I am not sure how much of type is rooted in genetics, and how much is a result of environment. For example, I have been wondering if some women type themselves as INTX because they have experienced trauma (or conversely, they experienced trauma because of being said type). Which means other types would be equally susceptible to mistyping, for whatever reasons. Yeah - don't shoot me.

Hado mentioned a process of elimination, which is probably more reliable in terms of self-typing. However, when it concerns others this is tricky, because we are only seeing external processes. These may not necessarily be reflective of internal processes, and seeing that so many of us are in states of cognitive dissonance due to environmental influences, I find typing highly unreliable and therefore try not to rely on it other than as a tool of superficial understanding.

The reason I engage in typing is because I enjoy the analytical process - it is a very rewarding and fun past-time. But I do not talk about it, unless the conversation is naturally drifting in that direction. Pyro has a very valid point here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro
I really think that isn't a good idea since it runs the risk of stereotyping the person into the one of the sixteen types. I really prefer to get to know them and simply have the type as an amusing trivia or a helpful guide that I can bring up from time to time. If you still really want to accurately get their type then you just have to spend months of time with them. Not exactly efficient unless you like said person to begin with.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-July-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
Cogitant
Fiducial Observer
 
Cogitant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Invading your reality
Posts: 157
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear

I agree with the rest of your post, although I am not sure how much of type is rooted in genetics, and how much is a result of environment.
The good old nature/nurture debate.
You know it's variable on an individual basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
For example, I have been wondering if some women type themselves as XNTX because they have experienced trauma.
In general, women are statistically less likely to be xNTx.

-Suggesting that some of these women arrived at that conclusion due to trauma further reduces that statistic...
+TiC that people react to trauma in many different ways, it would be equally valid to suggest that trauma could push some women/people toward xSFx

Anyway, regardless...
I think that personality is, to a greater extent, what you are born with, and perhaps it might include primary socialization factors (so an admixture of nature and nurture with a nature bias).

Beyond that, society is mostly a masquerade^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
Which means other types would be equally susceptible to mistyping, for whatever reasons. Yeah - don't shoot me.
The entire typing system aside, people generally have no sense of self awareness^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
Hado mentioned a process of elimination, which is probably more reliable in terms of self-typing.
I did that to type myself accurately.
Last to eliminate for me were ENTP and INTJ.
-However, since I'm a flaky-ass hermit who can count her friends on one hand and who could be mistaken for chaos incarnate, I think neither apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
The reason I engage in typing is because I enjoy the analytical process - it is a very rewarding and fun past-time. But I do not talk about it, unless the conversation is naturally drifting in that direction. Pyro has a very valid point here:
Yes, the whole categorizing things appeals to me too.
I used to enjoy typing bugs, clouds, plants, stars etc, etc, etc even as a wee kiddo. I even used to rainbow-order my felt pens.
-Hey that's an INTP trait
Essentially people don't change, but they can coat themselves in thick layers of shyte, thereby obfuscating the truth from themselves and (most) others^^

-There are many flaws in MBTI, I am more than aware of them.
I see holes and flaws in everything, everywhere, however.
-I guess it's because my leading function is Ti
Cogitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-July-2017, 03:29 AM   #24
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,631
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogitant
In general, women are statistically less likely to be xNTx.

-Suggesting that some of these women arrived at that conclusion due to trauma further reduces that statistic...
+TiC that people react to trauma in many different ways, it would be equally valid to suggest that trauma could push some women/people toward xSFx

Anyway, regardless...
I think that personality is, to a greater extent, what you are born with, and perhaps it might include primary socialization factors (so an admixture of nature and nurture with a nature bias).

Beyond that, society is mostly a masquerade^^
I would say you're basically right that there are more mistypes in the direction of xSFx due to ... maybe not necessarily "trauma" per se, but difficult life experiences, but that there will also be some mistypes in the direction of xNTx, however this will have to be quite rare. Many males with the NFTS function order (INFJ and ENFP, and especially INFJ) mistype as Thinkers, since they over-rely on the tertiary due to N and F being less accepted by the environment and thus being harder to maneuver effectively, and I'd expect there to be a similar case with females. However, there is the bias to see males as Thinkers and females as Feelers, so even with the environment pulling more on the T functions, it does also pull on F for females. Actually, I think the statistics put F types are more numerous than T types, so clearly the bias in that area can't be too strong. I'm sure it happens though.

So, the most common mistype I would say would be typing as an S when you're an N. What would the cause of that be? Well, it's simply more difficult to be an intuitive, at least in the society we're in. Look at job openings, and they will often call for someone with "attention to detail" but rarely "grasps abstract concepts". Ns may be common in the media - film/TV, music etc. but those with a naturally creative mindset (yes I'm assuming that the preference for N is strongly linked to creativity) tend to get left behind.

Myself, I'm an INFJ, but due to problems with expressing my inclinations and gifts appropriately, I have a) decided to study mathematics, which is more of an NTP discipline, and b) I mistyped as an ISTJ for a year or 2, which followed from the onset of my schizoaffective disorder (and I think, by the way, that the very notion of things like schizophrenia are an example of the strong ways in which intuitives are biased against in society - going against the norm, which isn't really a norm because being an N is pretty fricken normal, can get one in trouble if certain other factors are present) - basically, due to "getting things wrong" far too often with my intuition and having some strange experiences that I misinterpreted to be Si based (they were Ni based) and further misapplications of what the Si function is, combined with the fact that even though I wanted to be a Feeler, I had kind of resigned into thinking I must be a Thinker. What was probably going on is that my Ti and Se functions were so overused - overthinking/underexpressing and hypervigilance - and that was further exacerbated by a stay in a psychiatric facility, where intuition is essentially attacked ("Stick to the facts!", "Behave like everyone else!", "Your measure of success is your performance in work/study!"). Eventually I... came to my senses and saw my intuition, and now I'm so sure of my type that I cannot be swayed. I had to invent (what I thought was) new machinery to gain that certainty though.

So now I'll give another explanation of what my invented typing machinery is, but first with a note that even though I created the method, I've yet to use it successfully on anyone but myself (because with myself I have way more data and I can create more data whenever I want it, plus that I'm motivated to spend much more time on the case) - I've made some guesses, some of which are surely right but some of which are wrong, because it's really open to interpretation.

So, basically what you do is:
- note that when commencing an activity, one tends to prefer entering into it with the dominant function, and then moving to the auxiliary and so on. This is an oversimplification but it works as a general trend
- a post on a forum, or a video recording, are examples of such activities that are good ways of seeing one's cognition displayed in an external format
- so the key is to try and see the manifestations of function order in, say, a forum post. A good post to use is one which has 4 distinct paragraphs of roughly equal size, because this provides a clear indicator of where one function moves to the other. All 8 functions can be shown though, or only 1, or it could start at say the tertiary rather than the dominant, so it's a matter of general trends and some deduction.
- the way of actually determining which function is used is the tricky part and requires an artistic mindset. Basically it's a matter of looking at the general theme that the paragraph is describing, and comparing it with the themes of the other paragraphs. If you scan across many posts, the themes should be repeated in the same order, and if you can see this development of themes, you'll probably end up convinced that it could only result from one specific function order.

I know I've already explained that method before, but it doesn't hurt to do so again - especially given the relevance to the thread and the people who haven't seen me explain it before.

Lastly, I would say that a key contribution that will be made by typology is to expose just how much prejudice there is regarding typological factors, and how many people as a result are locked into ways of behaving that go against their natural inclinations. Rather than everyone having to fit into the dominant paradigm, people will be more able to choose a lifestyle that they are more happy with, because they will get a better idea as to which sort of activities are causing them stress and which are giving them energy. The populace will be so much happier and in line with their selves, and there will be a tremendous reduction in certain mental health issues which stem from the attempt to forcefit oneself into an inappropriate mould.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-July-2017, 12:20 AM   #25
baccheion
Member
 

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 124
linuxsafari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Learn how to phototype.

Are they energized by socializing, or drained? Do they act based on logic or feelings? Do they prefer things scheduled and decided, or open ended and flexible? And the one for sensor vs intuitor.
baccheion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-July-2017, 03:18 AM   #26
TheManBeyond
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Objects in the mirror might look closer than they are
Posts: 2,854
linuxsafari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

I suppose the question comes from someone who doesn't know much about mbti. I believe at the end typing by the four letters method is the easiest way. And the quickiest, after that you can figure out other 2 or 3 possible types similar to the first one and I'm sure you'll be pretty close.
To try to understand mbti and socionics and reading Carl jung works well yeah maybe the best advise but totally pointless
TheManBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-July-2017, 12:15 PM   #27
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,268
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Yeah, in order to give someone a slap dash informal typing for your own use, working out the 4 letter approach is the easiest and most efficient way. It won't be exact and you will be slightly out a lot of the time, but I think my informal typing in this way has improved with practice.

An example of why this doesn't work perfectly is INFJ's. They are commonly mistyped as extroverts as you will usually see them in public when they are using their strong Fe in order to socialise easily. But if you see them later on when they get home, they'll be exceedingly grumpy, drained and require a several hour nap after excessive socialising. Likewise, I often mistype ENFP's as introverts because they seem to require more alone time than other EF's. And I've noticed that while they are happier when they socialise, ENTP's seem to be often misunderstood and can become a little more reclusive than other extroverts.

When you know someone quite well, you can start to look for little clues as to their cognitive functions. For example, I'm absolutely certain my immediate manager is ISTJ - because he gets very hung up on paper trails, past figures (everything has to be related back to previous figures or it's apparently wrong, which is especially irksome when I notice that the previous figures are wrong to start with but it still must follow them for some reason ), he had me draw up a huge list of all possible permutations of a six-variable system I use because he found it easier to memorise a 3 page list than to work it out on the fly the way I do. He also often says to me, "keep that desk tidy - remember, messy desk, messy mind!" And is just generally very procedural oriented, organised and so on.

Another thing I look for is core values - something you get used to as you learn the descriptions of types. What they find attractive is an interesting clue. Another ISTJ I've typed get's very hung up on physical details, interesting sensory things they can do together (he found the concept of me spending a whole weekend in bed with someone utterly confusing - I thought the idea was heaven ) and if he likes someone, he usually describes them as a "grafter" (or hard worker), and like other ISTJ's doesn't have much interest in leading but values and even follows these "grafters" when he sees them. INTP's tend to find intelligence attractive even if it's not put to use - like I find potential intelligence attractive, I kind of see it as hidden depth. INFJ's I've known see empathy as wisdom and INFP's seem to value someone with strong emotional principles. Every ENTJ I've known refers to forcefulness as confidence, and so on. This can help to narrow it down.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is how the types use social media. IT's tend to use social media but keep their friend lists short and usually use it for specific purposes, usually their friendlists are between 70 and 200. IF's either refuse to use it or have moderate friendlists of a few hundred. ET's again tend to have lists of a few hundred. And EF's are easily spotted by their friendlists numbering in the thousands.

I've also observed a difference between extroverts and introverts - an extrovert says they find
texting pointless and would rather pick up the phone. An introvert finds the phone inconvenient (or just hates the phone altogether) and would rather text.

Obviously there are many other points to note and you'll find your own based on how you interact with people.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-October-2017, 04:31 PM   #28
Mxx
Member
 
Mxx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 113
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

Many of the MBTI typing questions are normal conversational topics anyway. Simply introduce the questions as a topic of conversation over time, and gather your data that way.

You do need to watch out for people pleasers though, as they will likely tell you what they think you want to hear, rather than what they truly prefer.
Mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-October-2017, 07:45 PM   #29
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
 
RaBind's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 654
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How do I type people without shoving a quiz in their face?

You observe them over a long period of time and make a judgement based on that. Being scared to be wrong is just silly; Especially if you have specific examples to back up you up, i.e. their coping mechanisms, and know the general approach they take to new problems. You can then try to use your classification to see how they respond in new situations you haven't observed them in before.

Worst case scenario is that you're wrong but its shouldn't matter much. You're not meant to base big life and death decisions on mbti alone anyway so there shouldn't be much to lose.
__________________
"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for." Viktor E. Frankl

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Positive SSL
no new posts