Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Science & Technology

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th-October-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Pop Science

Supposedly this was to study the disorientating effects of microgravity but even in the 1950s it would have been obvious that strapping small mammals to an electromagnet wouldn't achieve anything, it's a spectacle for the sake of a spectacle, a show dressed up as science, it was Popular Science.

Publishers of Popular Science magazine please don't- oh wait the internet's anonymous, HA HAA Suck It Motherfuckers!

So anyway I notice this a lot with university robotics projects, for example building substandard animatronics and touting them as "advanced lifelike androids" or building an android which can walk (barely) but the top half is fake. The reason I created this thread is to discuss the potential threat of pop science, y'see there's money to be made doing this and I fear it will give rise to a new breed of charlatan, a class of engineers who build things like Jacques de Vaucanson's "Digesting Duck" which did nothing of the sort.

These charlatans will (and I suppose already do) steal the limelight from legitimate scientists and the money of investors, potentially harming science as a whole by discouraging people from investing in unproven technologies.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote