PDA

View Full Version : Targeted Advertisements

Duxwing
20th-December-2013, 12:39 AM
Internet users often encounter advertisements, the content whereof depends on each user's browsing habits and become increasingly compelling with the amount of available data. I have noticed two possibilities:

1) Advertising Approaches Perfection

As the amount of data grows, so does the power of advertisements to convince people to buy products. Ostensibly, advertising will never become perfect--cause immediate purchase--and some factors therefore must stop the increase.

2) The Fearless Conscience

Some people lie to themselves about their online activities: seeing one's advertisements reflect one's behaviors could force one to follow one's conscience.

What think you of these possibilities, and what possibilities have you noticed?

-Duxwing

Kuu
20th-December-2013, 01:17 AM
Advertisements :confused:

Oh, you mean the annoying things that occasionally interrupt youtube videos?

I think the possibility is ADBLOCK.

Has anyone actually bought anything due to obnoxious online ads?

Pyropyro
20th-December-2013, 02:12 AM
Advertisements :confused:

Oh, you mean the annoying things that occasionally interrupt youtube videos?

I think the possibility is ADBLOCK.

Has anyone actually bought anything due to obnoxious online ads?

I tend to install AdBlock (with their owner's permission of course) to any laptop or desktop that I get my hands on. NoScript is also awesome.

Pyropyro
20th-December-2013, 02:16 AM
Internet users often encounter advertisements, the content whereof depends on each user's browsing habits and become increasingly compelling with the amount of available data. I have noticed two possibilities:

1) Advertising Approaches Perfection

As the amount of data grows, so does the power of advertisements to convince people to buy products. Ostensibly, advertising will never become perfect--cause immediate purchase--and some factors therefore must stop the increase.

2) The Fearless Conscience

Some people lie to themselves about their online activities: seeing one's advertisements reflect one's behaviors could force one to follow one's conscience.

What think you of these possibilities, and what possibilities have you noticed?

-Duxwing

1) If you've seen the "You're the millionth winner of X!" ads. I think you'll also concede that the online ad industry have a lot to do before achieving perfection.

2) Anonymity has its own limits and pushing the envelop too much would backfire sooner or later. Ads being a mirror of your online soul seems like a good perspective. Perhaps more keen internet surfers can use ads as a means of reducing dickitude levels.

Duxwing
20th-December-2013, 02:46 AM
1) If you've seen the "You're the millionth winner of X!" ads. I think you'll also concede that the online ad industry have a lot to do before achieving perfection.

Give the ad companies time, and they will better advertise: merely twenty years ago advertising largely could not be targeted at individuals.

2) Anonymity has its own limits and pushing the envelop too much would backfire sooner or later. Ads being a mirror of your online soul seems like a good perspective. Perhaps more keen internet surfers can use ads as a means of reducing dickitude levels.

Indeed!

-Duxwing

Hadoblado
20th-December-2013, 06:25 AM
My internet ad mirror wants to sell me meth. What do?