PDA

View Full Version : Uneven expansion

Blarraun
28th-November-2013, 11:37 PM
I am having a fun time visualising what would happen if we were subject to gravitational waves many orders of magnitude above the average.

Would this event be observable without external reference?
What would be a likely scenario afterwards?

GodOfOrder
29th-November-2013, 02:57 AM
i imagine it would feel like you were a trampoline being jumped on. Heavily varying gravitational fields would warp matter by pulling and releasing, wave by wave. Things may be heavily damaged if the change were too extreme or frequent.

In a sci-fi universe of my own creation, there are weapons that do just that.

BigApplePi
29th-November-2013, 02:58 AM
Try driving a vehicle along a bumpy road with dips and rises.

BigApplePi
29th-November-2013, 03:00 AM
You are I think

GodOfOrder
29th-November-2013, 03:04 AM
Or did you mean just being subject to a stable change in gravity? Lighter or heavier? If on Jupiter, you'd be crushed to death. If on the moon, you'd be footloose and fancy free.

Blarraun
29th-November-2013, 01:44 PM
I had this idea that when everything would be put under the same gravitational field, with the same vector, you would not see any difference since everything you see would be distortorted in the same way.
Other case i consider is when there are 2 waves similarly to sine and -sine. If they went through your body they would nullify each other.

Cognisant
29th-November-2013, 02:10 PM
Gravity is a pretty weak force so it would affect the planet far more than it affects you personally, so much so that I imagine by the time you could actually feel changes in gravitational pull the Earth's crust will be disintegrating, kind of like Io.