PDA

View Full Version : So you're a robot now...

Cognisant
9th-September-2013, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the master race :D

Now to be a robot there's a few things you need to know, this short guide will help guide you through the initial challenges to getting accustomed to your new body, looking after your new body/s and inform you of a few thing every robot needs to know.

First of all you may feel some pain in your chest, this is because your brain is no longer connected to your former heart, lungs, stomach or anything else for that matter, rest assured you're not dying, your brain is actually much safer on artificial life support than it ever was in your easily shattered human skull. However you may feel like you're dying, the feelings of asphyxiation, hunger, and other bodily needs will eventually go away, the more you pay attention to them the longer it will take so try to distract yourself with some manner of attention demanding activity.

Your new robotic body does however have its own needs, thankfully they're pretty simple, in your HUD you should be able to see indicators of how much fuel you have, depending on your model this may be petrol, methanol biofuel or if you have a high performance body tanks of hydrogen peroxide and alcohol respectively. Petrol, methanol and other combustible fuels are used to run a small engine which in turn runs a 12V generator and air compressor, the electricity is for your onboard electronics and the compressed air is used by your pneumatic actuators.

If your body is a combustable fuel type try not to linger indoors with the engine running as the accumulation of exhaust can harm the fragile lungs of nearby humans and over time you'll leave a fine layer of soot everywhere. Instead plug yourself into a mains outlet, your internal generator is for outdoor use and to get you from one outlet to the next indoors. Being plugged in sounds inconvenient but having a continuous supply of 220-240V is worth it, if your model has secondary electric actuators you'll notice a sudden increase in strength/speed, if not you may simply notice your compressor is running faster and/or more frequently, you may also gain access to electronics that were previously turned off for power economy.

If your body is a hydrogen peroxide and alcohol type then it's probably a military or competition model, the hydrogen peroxide monopropellant is reacted with a catalyst to produce large amounts of hot oxygen rich steam which is collected in a central compression chamber. Here the steam is cools (generating some of your electricity) before being used to power your heat resistant pneumatic actuators, then the water is separated and the oxygen is mixed with alcohol for a combustion process as detailed previously, except your exhaust will be without soot. You may not even have a power supply unit as these processes will provide you with plenty of power, both electrical and kinetic, however you should avoid standing close to humans as robots using these types of fuel have a propensity to spontaneously combust and/or explode.

The hot oxygen rich steam can cause the compression chamber to catch fire (which is why they should be replaced regularly) and if the compression chamber is breached, depending upon the pressure it may explode or simply set your internals on fire, if this fire reaches the alcohol a subsequent explosion may occur, also if the hydrogen peroxide leaks into the catalyst or visa versa an explosion may occur.

Of course your brain is safely stored someplace else and you're connected to your body remotely so catching fire and blowing up isn't such a big deal. Which brings us to the things every robot needs to know, firstly unless you're a military model with direct satellite uplink or relaying through a drone don't move beyond the limits of the wireless internet network or you'll be disconnected from your remote controlled body, this can also occur underground, in elevator shafts or if some joker leads you into a concealed faraday cage.

Another thing every robot needs to know is that your bodies (you may own several) don't heal like a human body so you need to perform regular scheduled maintenance, more often than not a little lubricant for load bearing joints (especially knees & hips) will suffice, for more extensive repairs it's best to consult a technician or more experience self maintaining robot for assistance and advice.

GodOfOrder
9th-September-2013, 08:35 PM
Why bother with the mortal realm, when I could just create a matrix like, hedonistic reality, where I am G0D? The physical universe would only allow me to do so much.

Cognisant
9th-September-2013, 08:40 PM
Because you'll want to be smug about it in front of all the mortals.

Adaire
9th-September-2013, 08:48 PM
Brains only last about 200 years on life support.
Alternative measures must be taken.

Can I have a shiny space ship body that I'll crew with myself?

GodOfOrder
9th-September-2013, 08:50 PM
Also, what of holo-bodies, avatars manifested from projectors mounted on the walls?

Cognisant
9th-September-2013, 09:15 PM
Sure, sure, now do either of you know how to build spaceships or holoprojectors because I don't.

Brains only last about 200 years on life support.
Alternative measures must be taken.
Given the advances of the last fifty years the technology we can expect two hundred years from now should be quite sufficient, also how do you know that? For the life of me I haven't actually been able to find any scientific articles or journals that even begin to estimate how long the brain can last in ideal conditions, as far as I know it's completely unknown.

With the regular addition of stem cells and removal of dead neurons it could be a very long time.

Jennywocky
9th-September-2013, 09:36 PM
Also, what of holo-bodies, avatars manifested from projectors mounted on the walls?

Whoa.

So much for the weight-loss industry.

On the other hands, artists capable of designing the coolest looking avatars could really be in high demand.

Cognisant
9th-September-2013, 09:51 PM
Hacking the projectors would be great fun too :D

Indeed any projector that you don't personally own will have a rendering engine completely open to modding, likewise someone with artificial eyes may be able to see you superimposed on the scenery in front of them but there's no guarantee your avatar's data is being displayed the way you want it to, my GPU could be rendering your avatar as naked or in a french maid outfit.

Animekitty
9th-September-2013, 11:20 PM
http://www.kurzweilai.net/artificial-robot-muscles-that-could-lift-loads-80-times-their-weight

National University of Singapore’s (NUS) engineers have created efficient artificial muscles that could one day carry 80 times their own weight and extend to five times their original length when carrying the load.

The team’s invention could lead to life-like robots with superhuman strength and ability and convert and store energy, which could help the robots quickly charge themselves.

GodOfOrder
9th-September-2013, 11:41 PM
Hacking the projectors would be great fun too :D

Indeed any projector that you don't personally own will have a rendering engine completely open to modding, likewise someone with artificial eyes may be able to see you superimposed on the scenery in front of them but there's no guarantee your avatar's data is being displayed the way you want it to, my GPU could be rendering your avatar as naked or in a french maid outfit.

I suppose if you had artificial eyes, you could see the world anyway you wanted to. The world could be populated with nothing but french maids, if you so chose.

But yes, the public projector would open up interesting possibilities. :D

TheScornedReflex
10th-September-2013, 01:32 AM
I wanna be a satellite. Then I could hack shit from space. Also, I would want a weapons platform stored with 20 nukes. And a Ionic Particle cannon.... And a Starbucks.

SpaceYeti
10th-September-2013, 01:39 AM
... Aren't I a cyborg, not a robot?

Hadoblado
10th-September-2013, 05:05 AM
In the prelude to Dune (written by Frank's brother or son or whatever), there was a cyborg that got sick of it all and went to space. She had a ship-body that resembled an asteroid so people would leave her alone.