PDA

View Full Version : Fastest man-made spinning object

John_Mann
31st-August-2013, 10:35 PM
They were able to levitate and spin a microscopic sphere at speeds of up to 600 million revolutions per minute.

This spin speed is half a million times faster than a domestic washing machine and more than a thousand times faster than a dental drill.

The team then used the minuscule forces of laser light to hold the sphere with the radiation pressure of light - rather like levitating a beach ball with a jet of water.

They saw it spin faster and faster until it reached 600 million rpm - and then it seemed to vanish!

The researchers don't know what happened to the sphere - but one possibility is that the object may have reached some theoretical speed limit - after which it changed in some way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23861397#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cognisant
31st-August-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm guessing they used some super hard material which probably shattered when structural integrity was lost, so it disintegrated into countless microscopic fragments and at that speed, well I don't know how you'd keep track of them.

If it was somehow annihilated there wouldn't be a lab left :D

SpaceYeti
31st-August-2013, 11:45 PM
It's microscopic in the first place, so if it suddenly hit an air draft and gained more resistance on one side than the other, it would speed off super quickly. Or the structural integrity thing. There are as many ways it could have gone away as can be imagined, but I wonder which one is correct.

just george
1st-September-2013, 03:49 AM
Looks like it hit an energy level that allowed it to cease to exist where it was and manifest somewhere/sometime else. I've had a theory for a while that this is what happens to "electrons" as they move from one energy state (shell) to another.

Edit: anyone got a link to their data to maybe get a weight to spin ratio, or radius to spin ratio so that we can calculate an energy to spin ratio? If so, we could calculate the energy/weight/spin and compare that to "electrons" as they bounce around and emit photons. If the ratios are the same, then the theory might be right

Cognisant
1st-September-2013, 09:05 AM
On a macro scale?

The amount of energy you're thinking about is huge, I'd expect to see something like that in the LHC not in some independant university lab, they just wouldn't have the budget.
Still I dunno, physics isn't my thing.

Oh Architect where are yooooou?