PDA

View Full Version : GMO and such

Synthetix
25th-June-2013, 07:57 AM
"There is broad scientific consensus that food on the market derived from GM crops pose no greater risk to human health than conventional food."

http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2012/1025gm_statement.shtml

http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/csaph/a12-csaph2-bioengineeredfoods.pdf

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/biotech/20questions/en/

"No reports of ill effects from eating GM food have been documented in the human population."

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10977#toc

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2408621

"Last winter anti-technology scaremongers at*Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, and Consumers International*convinced the government of Zambia to*block the distribution of American-donated genetically enhanced corn to its starving people. A story on the front-page of yesterday’s*Washington Post*sheds more light on that sorry tale, proving once and for all that it was anti-biotech activists, not the United States, who played politics with African starvation.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2003/12/2244-biotech-food-politics-zambia-revisited/

That stunt was atrocious and disgusting.

"Just shut the fuck up and get a job."

"Unless you and yours are starving, you need to shut the fuck up."

"Pretty easy to protest when you're not the one starving."

-Penn Jillette to genetically modified crop protesters in Bullshit: Eat this!

ApostateAbe
25th-June-2013, 10:50 AM
I see you have argued against the anti-GMO cranks. Good for you. Any cracks in your wall from your head banging on it?

Synthetix
25th-June-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure what you mean? If that question was to be taken literally, then no, that behavior has not been evident in my life. I must advise you against banging your head against hard surfaces, it may be detrimental to your health.

Brontosaurie
25th-June-2013, 11:44 AM
I see you have argued against the anti-GMO cranks. Good for you. Any cracks in your wall from your head banging on it?

you one of those epistemic aesthetes? you quit believing something when it gets too accepted and commonplace? you quit being an atheist when it became a fad among reddit kids?

that's a mighty bland way to be schizotypal. get well soon.

Etheri
25th-June-2013, 08:00 PM
As far as the topic goes, I agree. Altho I believe we should check up on GMO's, i'm not informed enough on bio to have an educated opinion.

you one of those epistemic aesthetes? you quit believing something when it gets too accepted and commonplace? you quit being an atheist when it became a fad among reddit kids?

As to my own beliefs : No. I don't change my beliefs depending on what the circlejerk is thinking. However, I do notice that I enjoy questioning accepted and commonplace beliefs. It provokes discussion and often enough people believe what is accepted without much proof or arguments for their case. Playing devil's advocate is pretty fun, you should try it.

Brontosaurie
25th-June-2013, 08:10 PM
As to my own beliefs : No. I don't change my beliefs depending on what the circlejerk is thinking. However, I do notice that I enjoy questioning accepted and commonplace beliefs. It provokes discussion and often enough people believe what is accepted without much proof or arguments for their case. Playing devil's advocate is pretty fun, you should try it.

that wasn't aimed at you.

being a devil's advocate requires some arguments, not simply harassing someone for having an ardent opinion like ApostateAbe did.

Synthetix
28th-June-2013, 12:15 AM
Apparently, 40 tons of GM beets were burned in Oregon. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an unbiased news article of the event. A google search produced sites like 'naturalnews' and 'realfarmacy'. I try not to dismiss information based solely on the source, but it's hard not to given the reputation of sites like these.

It seems as though the general anti-GMO crowd complains of the lack of testing of GM products, so if they do in fact lack much testing, how are they able to come to such strong conclusions about how bad they are supposed to be?

I'm not saying everything genetically modified is 100% fine and dandy, I'm just disgusted with this anti-scientific fear mongering and hysteria.

TimeAsylums
28th-June-2013, 12:16 AM
being a devil's advocate requires some arguments, not simply harassing someone for having an ardent opinion
wait, it does?
lol jk ;)

Synthetix
28th-June-2013, 12:20 AM
As far as the topic goes, I agree. Altho I believe we should check up on GMO's, i'm not informed enough on bio to have an educated opinion.

This is what I'd like to be hearing from people who aren't biologists, or who haven't committed to extensive research in the topic.

Brontosaurie
28th-June-2013, 12:41 AM
wait, it does?
lol jk ;)

you sure are one flimsy son of a [optional content]

:)

TimeAsylums
28th-June-2013, 12:45 AM
you sure are one flimsy son of a [optional content]

:)

ENTP
Ne>Ti>Fe>Si

blame the inferior Si.
flimsy is my middle name...depending on the day...mood...situation...second.

Synthetix
28th-June-2013, 07:07 AM
"There is broad scientific consensus that genetically engineered crops currently on the market are safe to eat. After 14 years of cultivation and a cumulative total of 2 billion acres planted, no adverse health or environmental effects have resulted from commercialization of genetically engineered crops."

-Pamela Ronald, UC Davis plant geneticist in Scientific American

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/09/are_gmo_foods_safe_opponents_are_skewing_the_scien ce_to_scare_people_.html

RobdoR
29th-June-2013, 07:52 AM
I agree that there have been no documented ill effects from GMO corn verses regular corn. It is too bad that people always want a simple answer (GMO corn is bad), but sadly that is what works to get people behind your cause. They can't be bothered to find the facts. They just believe what they want to believe, often for very selfish reasons.

That being said there are some problems with GMO foods. Many of these problems are due to our food system in general and not just GMO. GMO just makes an easy scapegoat.

The problems with GMO corn specifically:

1. You can never own it. Farmers wanting to use GMO corn, are not allowed to save their seed and replant it. For example, round up ready corn is a closely guarded commodity by Monsanto, and they have a track record of ruining the lives of farmers who seem suspicious to them. My examples come from popular biased documentaries like "the future of food" and "king corn", so feel free to challenge them. One farmer was driven out of business because he ran a seed cleaning business, and Monsanto decided he could be using his machine to clean their seeds for farmers who could then replant.

2. GMO corn causes chemical dependency by farmers. After corn is planted, the fields are sprayed with herbicides killing everything except the GMO corn. It has also been bred to do well in a monoculture where it is heavily fertilized, but may not do as well in a less controlled environment. After the earthquake in Haiti a few years ago I read on Monsanto's website that they were going to give farmers free seed and fertilizer for 5 years to get them up and running. On its face this seems like a kind thing for them to do for the welfare of those starving, and for the first 5 years it is. But, after 5 years, the farmers will have to start paying for the fertilizer and herbicide. They have essentially created a system in which all the farmers under this program will have no choice but to buy corn and chemicals every year from them or risk trying to grow traditional corn in an ecosystem that may not support it very well any more.

3. GMO corn accelerates environmental degradation. Every year far too much of our precious top soil is washed away. GMO corn is a part of this problem, though to be fair, genetically manipulating crops will probably be part of the solution to fixing this.

The next few gripes I have are with GMO crops in general, not just corn:

1. What could possibly go wrong? Genes from GMO crops get free (life will find a way) and that may not be a good thing. It may not be a problem, but then again, it might. The point is that we don't know what effects anti-freezing tomatoes will have on other life out there. I don't think this is a reason ban GMOs but it should be part of the conversation.

2. Just because there are no reported bad health problems with GMO does not mean that all things GMO will always be safe to eat. I think this fear is justified. After all who knew that lead paint and asbestos would be so harmful?

Those are the reasons I dislike the propagation of GMO foods. I do think they will have their place in the future of agriculture, but for now I will support non-GMO food as much as I can.

bartoli
29th-June-2013, 08:36 AM
'Intelligent' ecologists are not against GMO. They only are against the fact that they are put in place where their genes might spread to other species, before their effects have been fully tested.

just george
30th-June-2013, 03:08 PM
I LOLed when you said that you couldn't find unbiased news - as if the regular news sites, which are flaming beacons of propaganda, are unbiased.

LOL what a laugh :D

Anyway the simplest thing to do is take a look at what the big brains in power do, and do that. They eat organic food grown from heirloom seeds.

GMO is poison.

ApostateAbe
15th-July-2013, 05:46 AM

Sounds about right.