• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Your Take on an ENFP?

enfpf

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:25 PM
-->
Hi everyone,

I've spent countless life hours scrolling through MBTI forums since my inaugural spiral into this world. This is the first time I've ever posted in one.

What I've come to realise is that I almost always only find rigorous and well-thought-out discussions solely on INTP based forums. The obvious reasons why from my limited perception and knowledge base - INTPs are more inclined to introspection, enjoy theorising and analysing to crazy extents, and are usually pretty intellectual people. This lends favour to producing interesting conversations, especially over the interwebs. I find that the most meaningful information on MBTI has come from websites spawned by INTP founders - intpexperience, personalityjunkie, etc.

I've tested myself over many platforms, used my brainbox to cognitively type myself based on my research, and can safely say that I'm a true ENFP. The F is usually hovering around the midpoint, and I believe that outside a personal context (such as professional/work), I behave more like an ENTP. Perhaps I'm also learning how to control the limitations associated with my F as I get older, I dunno.

(To my main point!)
Yet I've never found a profile, description, discussion or otherwise that I feel accurately sums up the nature of an ENFP, the way the INTP does. All I ever encounter are your typical inspirers/socially apt/adventurous/flirty/self development kind of spiels. Yes, they are true, however in my opinion, very surface-level. My impression of ENFPs is that self-awareness comes very instinctively to us, it almost seems an insult reading stuff like this as (personally) it's blatantly obvious and I'm seeking MORE. 'More', as in akin to the discoveries and revelations that seem to come so freely within INTP fourms. The only thing that I resonate with (via reading ENFP forums) is the opinion that a lot of ENFPs are mistyped.

This lead to my brilliant idea of asking you guys myself!
1) Does anyone know of any sources that nail the ENFP type, in depth?
2) Could you please tell me your impression of the ENFP type - any insights/anecdotes, whether it be relations(hips) with ENFPs throughout your life or random poignant pieces of information?

Sorry for being verbose and thank you in advance!

:)

PS. My SO of 3 years is a textbook INTP. My journey as a younger (erratic) ENFP evolving in time with him is another long story in itself. I'm bloody fascinated/obsessed with your minds, it's like a science within itself.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 12:25 AM
-->
Can't say for sure but I am INTJ. This forum is better for me than INTJf. The criticism over there is too harsh to learn anything significant through interaction. I think this is because of the larger number of posters there. The hidden religion section is filled with viciousness.

I have heard that ENFPs best match INTJs.
But I don't know that from experience.
Here is a video about ENFPs by Micheal Pierce.

https://youtu.be/1wQXkIjdAJk

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 6:25 AM
-->
One of my good friends is ENFP (typed herself).
She's a bit ditzy, misguided, streetwise, creative, hilarious, disorganised , rather 'showy', dorky.
.. All good.

I'd trade in most ES's for NFs.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Yesterday 11:25 PM
-->
More intense, lively, wishful thinking ENTP's.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
-->
I don't necessarily think you're going to find the descriptions you want, here. We can't go deep into the ENFP personality because we aren't ENFPs. We can't truly go into the mind of an ENFP.

You can, though.

Look at yourself and look at an ENFP profile. See where it falls short of the real deal. Fill in the gaps. There's your deep ENFP description.

Use your identity to inform the profile. Not the profile to inform your identity.

Could you please tell me your impression of the ENFP type - any insights/anecdotes, whether it be relations(hips) with ENFPs throughout your life or random poignant pieces of information?

Anyway, to more directly address your post, one of my best friends is (probably) an ENFP (I think he may just be a sensitive ENTP, but ENFP is a bit more likely). I don't actually know of anyone who dislikes him. He's just a fucking great guy all around (he literally won the "best all around" superlative thingy for our high school class, whereas I won "biggest slacker"). Super nice to everyone and very quick on his feet when it comes to conversation in the sense that he can even hold a conversation with crazy random homeless people who don't even seem to know what they themselves are saying. He's also actually a pretty deep thinker and enjoys working through philosophical and logical trains of thought, although I think for him the process is more for self-betterment in the long run than it is for working through a problem for the sake of analyzing a problem.

More intense, lively, wishful thinking ENTP's.

Okay, now describe your take on ENTPs.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:25 AM
-->
ENFPs are probably the easiest type for me to get along with. ENFP, ISTP, and ISFJ (for some reason).

I've gotten to know a few ENFPs, and they are the embodiment of passion. They are so free with their emotions, but unlike other "passionate" people, they seem to be genuinely free with their feelings. I mean, I don't see guilt trips, entanglements, fishing for loyalty, or even sympathy. They just put it all out there, and are thrilled to receive a conneciton in return. Puppies. They are like puppies.

All of the ENFPs I've known IRL have been incredibly intelligent and well educated (a Yale professor, a medical doctor, and the CTO of a big tech company). I think the openness combined with creativity and strong interpersonal skills makes an incredible recipe for leadership and success.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
ENFPs are probably the easiest type for me to get along with. ENFP, ISTP, and ISFJ (for some reason).

I've gotten to know a few ENFPs, and they are the embodiment of passion.
They are so free with their emotions, but unlike other "passionate" people, they seem to be genuinely free with their feelings. I mean, I don't see guilt trips, entanglements, fishing for loyalty, or even sympathy. They just put it all out there, and are thrilled to receive a conneciton in return. Puppies. They are like puppies.

All of the ENFPs I've known IRL have been incredibly intelligent and well educated (a Yale professor, a medical doctor, and the CTO of a big tech company). I think the openness combined with creativity and strong interpersonal skills makes an incredible recipe for leadership and success.

Agreed. ENFP's are cool people, INFP's as well but haven't met as many. Compared to NTP's they are easier to get along with.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:25 PM
-->
Disclaimer: personal speculation only.

There are only two people I know that I am more or less sure are ENFPs as I cannot find better alternatives after eliminating other types.

They both have a rather dark, introverted side. Ne in ENFPs manifests differently to other extraverts as the combination with aux Fi seems to draw them into themselves more, just like the weird dynamics of Se/Fi in some ESFPs I know.

People with Fe higher in their functional stack appear warmer to me than these ENFPs, who seem to be preoccupied with their inner ongoings while being bombarded with external data (Ne). Must be quite confusing, which is maybe why they can come across as "ditzy" when in fact, they are anything but. They continue to surprise me with startling insights about the world and people around them, and they appear to have x-ray vision in social contexts. They are both highly intelligent and gifted people, which seems consistent with giftedness distribution in types (ENTP/ENFP most common in schools for gifted in a couple of US studies I have yet to dig up - can find them if anyone is interested).

One ENFP I know has entered a period of depression. She indulged her social side to the point where her introverted side was completely ignored and she is now bordering on suicidal. I think she was distracting herself from the extreme stress she had as a single mother and full time student/worker. As social and family demands became too much, she never had the chance to reflect and get to know her own inner world and creative side. She suppressed her negative emotions almost completely in order to be a good mother, but it did not work well as she would become passive aggressive towards those closest to her instead.

She is highly creative and this creativity was suppressed over many years, and channeled out through drug and alcohol abuse. When all this pressure finally stopped, she fell into a heap. She says does not know who she is anymore and she is afraid her darker side will eliminate her. Her friends were mostly party people, and she is now shunning them while she really would have been better off in the company of more creative types who would have stimulated her own creativity. I am worried for her, but feel powerless as she seems to reject any help from outside, and is determined to work through it alone.

It makes me think ENFPs would be better off spending enough time to introvert as their so-called extrovertedness seems to drain them after a while, just like ENTPs. They may appear outwardly like puppies, but they are more like cats with puppy masks....and people around them who know them well would be wise to make sure they look after themselves and not use their social resources exhaustively. Also, as they seem to be highly creative types, it would be important to make conscious efforts to nurture this creativity. ENFPs purely working for money to survive are ticking time bombs, IMO.

Edit: One thing that seems to stand out about some ENFPs is that they always calculate and understand the consequences of their actions, but choose to ignore the outcome in order to experience something new. Which is why they appear to attract drama and weird people, although they are not at all drama queens themselves.

Edit: I have a lot more I could add...maybe later. I seem unable to stop editing....

Edit n: This resource is one I tend to use more as the descriptions seem less cheesy and biased towards favouring certain types. It doesn't bombard you with someone's idea of types, but leaves one to learn about the cognitive functions and put it all together independently.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Haha, yea what yellow said. My ENFP friend is definitely free with her emotions, and rather puppy like.

enfpf

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Wow, thank you for these responses and the time spent articulating them!
Here is a video about ENFPs by Micheal Pierce.

https://youtu.be/1wQXkIjdAJk

I thoroughly enjoyed this - made me realise that perhaps what I was subconsciously seeking out was more information about the dichotomy within. This resonated with me, I don't think many people realise the 'other side' that comes with being an ENFP. To try and simplify it, it's both information overload (derived from inside, outside, everywhere in between) and feelings overload (yours, mine, everyone else's) all at once. I guess the trick is in balancing the gleeful, cunning, childlike side with the apathy and cynicism that comes with exposure to our fucked up world.

People with Fe higher in their functional stack appear warmer to me than these ENFPs, who seem to be preoccupied with their inner ongoings while being bombarded with external data (Ne). Must be quite confusing, which is maybe why they can come across as "ditzy" when in fact, they are anything but. They continue to surprise me with startling insights about the world and people around them, and they appear to have x-ray vision in social contexts. They are both highly intelligent and gifted people, which seems consistent with giftedness distribution in types (ENTP/ENFP most common in schools for gifted in a couple of US studies I have yet to dig up - can find them if anyone is interested).

This reinforces what is said above, and is real astute/profound. I hope your friend re-stabilises herself and that you feel comfortable enough around her to tell her what has been said within your post. Even show her the post, I think it would help a lot? Nothing surprises and pleases an ENFP more than when someone else proves to her that they are competent enough offer her more insight than she is able to offer herself..

Edit: One thing that seems to stand out about some ENFPs is that they always calculate and understand the consequences of their actions, but choose to ignore the outcome in order to experience something new. Which is why they appear to attract drama and weird people, although they are not at all drama queens themselves.

Yes, and we almost always ignore the consequences in favour of experimentation.. usually social experimentation. This is also true with conflict in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if something doesn't adhere to personal values. For example, if someone makes me upset, I will almost always relentlessly pursue an interpersonal conflict situation in order to seek some sort of higher order solution and evolution of the relationship. Not sure if it's the same as what you're talking about, but maybe that's where all the drama comes from :p

They just put it all out there, and are thrilled to receive a conneciton in return. Puppies. They are like puppies.
Thrilled is an understatement. Thank you for your input :)

He's also actually a pretty deep thinker and enjoys working through philosophical and logical trains of thought, although I think for him the process is more for self-betterment in the long run than it is for working through a problem for the sake of analyzing a problem.

Well said and accurate, I feel. I'm glad you guys are great friends. Assuming that you are an INTP, my guess is that both of you bond over the aforementioned philosophical and logical trains of thought. Does it ever bother (not the right word) you that you were termed 'biggest slacker' when in reality you guys probably operate on an equal intelligence/competence frequency?

:)

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Well said and accurate, I feel. I'm glad you guys are great friends. Assuming that you are an INTP, my guess is that both of you bond over the aforementioned philosophical and logical trains of thought. Does it ever bother (not the right word) you that you were termed 'biggest slacker' when in reality you guys probably operate on an equal intelligence/competence frequency?

We do bond over that, although we just work well together in most other regards, too. I think we have very similar conceptions of who we are and how we fit (or should strive to fit, at least) with other people.

And no, I'm not bothered by it at all. He spent high school being a great guy and I spent high school... well... slacking off :D. In some ways I view it as a point of pride. In all honesty I'm just surprised enough people in my school knew me (or knew of me) in order for me to even be voted anything at all.

Edit: Also basically everything Yellow said is applicable to my friend, particularly the "put it all out there, and are thrilled to receive a conneciton in return" bit. He always just tries to be himself and be true and genuine with everyone and when someone reciprocates that level of unaltered openness with him you can actually see him light up. It's honestly quite energizing to be around him to observe that.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 7:25 AM
-->
I've gotten to know a few ENFPs, and they are the embodiment of passion. They are so free with their emotions, but unlike other "passionate" people, they seem to be genuinely free with their feelings. I mean, I don't see guilt trips, entanglements, fishing for loyalty, or even sympathy. They just put it all out there, and are thrilled to receive a conneciton in return. Puppies. They are like puppies.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_-PddFCKU

Not all of them are though.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:25 AM
-->
Everyone seems to have a more positive interaction with ENFPs irl than I have. Maybe one of the issues is that I've only met them either within religious contexts or within activist contexts -- so maybe these people have not been representative of the whole. Still, despite the NP similarity, I find I have difficulties reading and syncing up with this type as soon as we start discussing "content." There was also a working-style difference.

I think the extroverted style I found with the ones IRL exhausted me. As soon as they got in proximity, as a metaphor I felt like the oxygen around me was being consumed by their intense flame. The attention and energy I had to expend to interact and/or deal with issues increased dramatically; and I felt like if I did not expend it, then this was read as not caring or not liking them. The assertiveness level was high with them as well, so I constantly felt as if I having to dodge strong statements and movements to avoid what felt to me like a fight.

There was a high degree of positivity in areas where I felt I was more discriminating (practical/rational content), where they were more discriminating in terms of ethical content. There was also an attached/detached stance disparity (with me being more detached in general, and they seemed far more attached to their issues of concern).

There was also what I'd call an IT vs EF issue -- we would have sharply different responses to the exact same event/stimuli. Usually I was parsing for logical content, and they were parsing for personal/possibility content AKA a battle between "is this logical?" versus "Does this support my values?" One notable example was when I attended a Christian worship concert and one of the speakers presented this example of how laminin had a cross shape and thus somehow this cross shape justified belief in God and Jesus. I of course thought this was the dumbest thing ever to the point of feeling rationally offended by it; and as I had guessed, the ENFP guy was going on after the concert about how great this example was and how it proved his religion to be true (because it helped justify something he already believed in strongly); but it wasn't even something I could discuss with him because he seemed to think I was attacking his faith whereas I would just be challenging this idea I found faulty.

I've also seen "flake out" behavior -- where commitments are made based on how excited someone is at the time or how the possibilities might seem fruitful -- but when I assess the situation from my end, I don't see it lasting and/or the problems involved are likely to derail efforts. In general, that's usually what has panned out; once the initial enthusiasm has waned, the ENFP will wander off looking for new stimulation and/or a more opportune field to chase the bliss. This isn't just ENFP behavior per se, it seems more EP...

I wish I had better experiences, it's unfortunate that I haven't really been in situations to see more of the positives. I guess I can say that in my experience as a worship leader (when I was doing that), that the ENFP was earnest, and seemed to enjoy being up front in a lead position, and on the "NP" intersection level we were able to ad lib music and situations decently together, exploring what was happening in the moment and steering it to fully explore possibilities. I just personally have found that the working style conflicts, so when I do admire ENFP, I tend to admire from afar... quite passionate, quite determined, and willing to be out there for things they believe in.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_-PddFCKU

Not all of them are though.

Fun video. Is that Bernie Sanders he's talking to at 5:55? :D

The assertiveness level was high with them as well, so I constantly felt as if I having to dodge strong statements and movements to avoid what felt to me like a fight.

Really? This isn't my experience at all. From what I can tell, they have a more "go with the flow" approach and don't tend to hold particularly strong opinions on most things.

I attended a Christian worship concert.

Well there's your problem :p

I've also seen "flake out" behavior -- where commitments are made based on how excited someone is at the time or how the possibilities might seem fruitful -- but when I assess the situation from my end, I don't see it lasting and/or the problems involved are likely to derail efforts. In general, that's usually what has panned out; once the initial enthusiasm has waned, the ENFP will wander off looking for new stimulation and/or a more opportune field to chase the bliss. This isn't just ENFP behavior per se, it seems more EP...

Oh yeah, this is definitely a thing. One of the more recent times I hung out with my ENFP friend (along with our ENTP and ISTJ friends), our plans for the day changed like 10 times over the course of a few hours.
"You guys want to go to the beach later? I have some beer so we can drink a bit while we're there."
"We can go hang out downtown before then. I have to go run an errand up there anyway."
"Let's go check out the record store."
"Hey, I got a text from so-and-so and a couple of her friends. You guys wanna hang out a bit with them?"
"Let's grab some food."
"Fuck going somewhere to eat, we can make a feast back at my house."
"Oh shit, we drank too much here to drive for a while, I guess we're not going to the beach today or hanging out with those girls."
"Let's play smash bros."
etc.
To be fair though, I have a very similar way of planning my day and the ISTJ is very quiet and generally goes along with the rest of us when we come up with something to do. The only reason we got anything done was because the ENFP and I get bored of sitting and thinking of things we could do and also because the other ENTP is surprisingly into planning and executing those plans (more so than a stereotypical ENTP usually is, at least).

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I thought i was typed by most of this place users as an enfp, so get inside my profile and checky posts to see how it is like

Nebulous

Local time
-->
My sister is an ENFP.
She's a fantastic person, really, but she does get on my nerves sometimes.
She's very open minded, and I would definitely say she's a lot smarter than the other people in her class. (Not grade wise.. But more intellectually and emotionally mature.)
She's 6 years younger than me, and i actually see A LOT of similarities between her and who I was when I was her age.
She's fun enough to have a conversation with, but she always ends up saying illogical or impossible things... That always manages to bother me.

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
I've met several self-typed ENFPs. From what I see, they tend to take pride in "thinking out of the box" but they think too far from the box to the point where it is not even logical for the situation to occur, yet they will still be like "nothing is impossible" it's quite annoying.

They like attention. Generally quite nice, I guess

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 3:25 PM
-->
ENFPs tend to be more mature and are more dug in into positions. I think typically INTPs have an edge though, because if you take the time to articulate your Ti they sort of listen in awe. They're generally good company to have around and help you emotionally, but when asking for advice they leave you open to choices, which sounds liberating but not exactly driveful- ENFJs on the other hand I think help you immensely emotionally.

I think they're also a bit more prone to conspiracy theories but that may not have too much of a connection with the MBTI.

LKgolic

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I think, there are tons of info about each personality type. However, INTPs are more likely to share and exchange information about themselves on forums.
We actually made a video for ENFPs to cover all aspects of them (with more of a gaming perspective, but nevertheless)
I hope it will answer all your questions about your type.
From my experience, I was shocked by an ENFP, who splashed her cocktail on me just because she couldn't hold her emotions.(I have never talked to her again)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Thanks for participating to simply promote your videos on our site.

We will be eternally grateful for the opportunity.

LKgolic

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Thanks for participating to simply promote your videos on our site.

We will be eternally grateful for the opportunity.

But the story about ENFP is a complete truth :confused:

And where can I share my personal experience elsewhere?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
I don't mesh well with ENFP's because I have no idea how to act around them. I put too much pressure on myself to want to have to be happy and stuff because that is my generally impression of how I think ENFP's attitude is generally and that makes me feel really awkward. The bright light at the end of the tunnel is that if the ENFP is more mature then they can actually have serious conversations sometimes... but they usually just like joking around and stuff.

I think my brother asked me what I would type my sister as and I said ENF and tendencies of both J and P and apparently that is exactly what she types as, which I thought was weird because I am not usually that on point. Point being I think I can spot ENFX's pretty well. I know I get along with ENFJ's a bit better than ENFP's because ENFP's grip on reality is pretty distant.

I feel like I have a better idea of what ENFP's are like in reality rather than really knowing very well how they fit into society as a whole. They are one of the types that I kinda have to scratch my head and don't really come up with anything immediately for what their purpose is.

Top Bottom